Options

BananaMan Triathlon

Comments

• Options
    Sighting? I'll just follow the sound of splashing ahead of me, go on then might as well do it.
  • Options
    Bassy
    Debster
    Gonna Make It
    Gravytrain
    Lee-Sterine

look at that, even made it alphabetical!
  • Options
    Stop it you lot. I may be on the verge of requesting a pass for this one.
  • Options
    I though it was too near another event you are up for Trickster?

"Tricksters doing bananaman" <trips off into distance singing>

And just to make sure you do it Ive got jaffa cakes says I will defeat you in cycle and run splits. Consider Gauntlett well and truly thrown down.
  • Options
    I can just about manage 800m front crawl in the pool without killing myself. Not sure about OW but what the hell. I'm sure doggy paddle hasn't been outlawed yet!

Ordered me hire wetsuit - still not turned up yet. I love new clothes!
  • Options
    Tee hee hee

Bassy
    Debster
    Gonna Make It
    Gravytrain
    Lee-Sterine
    The Trickster
  • Options
    Mr bank balance says no, esp. if I enter one of the 'Woody' events. Sorry guys.

Bassy
    Debster
    Gonna Make It
    Gravytrain
    Lee-Sterine
  • Options
    Ok... can I do this as a first triathlon and train up in the next 10 weeks or so? I've got a marathon's worth of training behind me having just completed the FLM and I'm generally pretty fit.... problem is my swimming which is relatively poor and I struggle with more than 200m in the pool without tiring significantly! Is 10 weeks enough to get my levels up to 800m in open water?? I was planning to do the Rugby Sprint Triathlon in late August, but I'm itching for something sooner - other than a couple of 10k runs I'm doing in June - anbody think this is a fools errand??
  • Options
    You sound like perfect pirate material!

Just enter, then worry about it later! If you can do breast stroke only then you can join me , my front crawl sucks!
  • Options
    Sounds like a plan - sadly my only passable stroke is the front crawl... if you can call it that!

Just need to sort out bike, wetsuit etc etc, etc! And I thought this would be a cheap hobby :(
  • Options
    Youve got plenty of time to get down the pool and do a few lengths. What I did was went down the pool one evening and made sure I could do the distance in any way I could. As for bike then theres lots of deals around. Go to a bike shop and get measured however so you get one that fits!

Triuk do hire wetties, thats where Im going I think.

As an alternative you could find a pool tri to do to start, saving you on wettie, and knowing theres a side to cop hold of if it all goes a bit wobbley.

However theres nothing wrong with just going for it!
  • Options
    Thanks Bassy - I think (crossed fingers) I'm going to be able to borrow a decent bike while I see if I take to this triathlon lark. A friend of a friend buys and sells them and has 40 odd bikes hanging in his loft so one should fit! Triuk are curretly selling ex demo wetsuits for 50 notes which seems like a relatively good deal - or better than hiring one.. though I couldn't vouch for the quality!

Thanks for the advice though - going for it tends to be the best course of action imo so fingers crossed I'll be on it.
  • Options
    See you there mate, its only my second one so we are in the same boat really. And I havent swum OW yet, only a pool tri.
  • Options
    Ah my gawd - my wetsuit arrived today. I am truly committed <goes off to freak out a bit>
  • Options
    So, list to date is...

Bassy
    Debster
    Gonna Make It
    Gravytrain
    Lee-Sterine
    Redraj
  • Options
    Been in the bath wiv it Debs, Rumour has it putting them on is an artform in its own right. Get in the bath with it, then jump out and run outside whilst stripping for that proper T1 moment.....

report back!
  • Options
    Lawks, i couldn't even get the zip up the back and yet Tri UK erred on the side of caution and gave me a F1.5 - that puts me right at the bottom of the sizing for the suit (i'm 5ft and 48kg). Definitely puts firm control underwear in its place.

Might give it another go tomorrow when I've had a few jars.
  • Options
    <goes off chortling to himself>
  • Options
    Took me 20 minutes to get it on. Very strange. May try it out next week at seaside.

Redraj, bassy is top font of knowledge on bikes. Been VERY helpful to me.
  • Options
    I was thinking about doing this one but think I've entered the MK half on the same day.

I might still change my mind if I can't make the Dorney Steelman at the start of July. I was planning on doing the 3/4 distance rather than the oly and it's at same venue.

Hmm...think I'll bookmark the thread and see how the events go over the next month.
  • Options
    9 weeks to this ..... hope training is going well (for those that are bothering ;-) )

Debster; how is the wetsuit feeling now? I notice other people are having the same issue (looks uinder tri threads....)

Goldstar; I was tempted by the MK events. Are those the 'big cow pie' ones?
  • Options
    GMI - I think the wetsuit is feeling neglected in the corner of my bedroom. Will report back tomorra. had a few too many jars so could result in much hilarity if I tried it on now.
  • Options
    GMI - Actually I've entered the half marathon as I'm obsessed with getting my PB under 90 mins and MK is apparently as flat as you like.

I am looking at doing the 'BC Pie' sprint tri on the 8th July though (it's the same weekend as their Big Cow half ironman) but it depends on finances as I'm already doing a lot of other races (about 10) this summer.

Redraj - I'd just give it a go if I were you. Look to compete rather than complete the first one. There are always plenty of first-timers and this distance is more challenging than the normal sprint but less daunting than an olympic distance and a 1500m swim.

My first OW tri swim was an interesting freestyle/breatstroke combo but it did the job and now I'm hooked.
  • Options
    Haha - that should be 'complete rather than compete your first one'.
    I'm not that much of a slave driver!! :o)
  • Options
    Hmm "first open water tri swim" does doggie paddle count?????
  • Options
    Lee, if your avatar is anything to go by, you'll be brilliant at it ;-)

Debs, try it on, try it on.....

GoldStar, MK half is one of the best courses in the country IMHO; I have my PB there at over 7 mins faster than anywhere else..... maybe the BC pie events next year will tempt me (if I haven't died at Eton)

OW 'swim', more like flail my arms around until I have to get out :-)
  • Options
    GWI - I wouldn't worry about your choice of stroke (butterfly is just for show offs though), if it gets you from A to B then that's all that matters.

That's great news about the MK course too. I've only got a couple of minutes to knock off to go sub-90 so may well be too tempted to post a massive PB.

Hope Eton went well.
  • Options
    Goldstar - I am all for a positive attitude, but I'm not sure competing is going to be something I'm capable of yet!! ;) Managed a 300m in the pool without break - can't workout if that's good or not - 800m seems a long way off and I guess I need to be comfortably doing 1000m in the pool, as it's 800 OW? Doggy paddle it could be. Any advice? I wish all my disciplines were as advanced as my running which is spot on at the moment.
    Managed to secure a Giant TCR on loan for the next couple of months to see how I get on - seems to be the recommended bike so a top result.
  • Options
    Radraj, concentrate on and economics stroke, and if you can do 300 metres, then do 300, rest for 5 mins then another 300, it wont take long before you can go further. I cant crawl at all, but thats what I did for breaststroke and it worked

Youve got ages, find a pool with late opening and go at 10pm when its not busy, you can just plod then