Options

Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps it's only West Cumbria, whenever I drive back there the entire area always has a big dark cloud over it.
  • Options
    Hi Sally

I think this will be my 1st half too if I don't do the Robin Hood in Sep. At the moment I can't imagine running 2 10ks then some more but I'm going to try to do what Captain Haddock says and increase my long run which is currently around 8 miles and see how it goes. No idea of target time.
  • Options
    I certainly can't imagine running two 10k's - at least I couldn't when I finished yesterday, I must have forgotten the pain!

Really encouraged by all of the messages saying that there is plenty of time to train.

Rob - it was the Run for All that I did yesterday, I hadn't been prepared for quite how many people is 10,000! Totally agree with you about the bottle necking, and struggled with the heat but yes, can't use them as excuses! So you're going to give this a crack?
  • Options
    hello all,

Sally I ran my first ever 10K in May and did it in 1hr 15 mins...slow by comparison by folk on this thread I think but I was really pleased as most i'd never managed to run (jog) that far in my life without stopping! So this will be my first half marathon. I'm not worrying about my time, just finishing will be great...then i'll have a time to beat for next year!

p.s. i've got a 5K tomorrow and i've not been training for ages :-( kind of hoping my work meeting in Glasgow will overrun and i'll have to miss it! Need to get back on track with the training pronto!
  • Options
    ...sorry, just reread my garbled message...what i intended to say was: there is plenty of time to train and by the sounds of it past runners of this race love it so it will be a good introduction into the world of half maras!

...has been a long day...on the home stretch now :-)
  • Options
    I've got a 5k Wed but it's in Lincs so could be more of a swim! I do love the distance - it's really painful but not for long - my kind of race. This is what worries me about 13.1 miles - even in some 10ks my mind trys allsorts to get me to stop so the half will be a big challenge. Any tips on not giving up?
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Excellent that so many 'newish' runners are taking this on as a challenge. Its what I did last year and I must say I found it a fantastic experience.

As others have said, its just a matter of increasing the length of your long slow run by a bit every week, up to 10-12 miles. If you increase it slowly enough your body gets used to it and so does your mind! (at least that's what I found). Quite a good idea to follow a beginners training programme (again, its what I did) just to keep you motivated and focused.

It was hot last year - I remember the pubs as well and the tempting glasses being drunk outside! I stupidly didn't drink anything on the way round last year (I know, duh) and nearly collapsed at the end, but I've learned my lesson since then and now drink at every water station.
  • Options
    Does sound like it will be a good introduction, and yes, all tips appreciated - I'm only a fledgling newbie to this and very much still in the 'just try and make it to the next lamppost/car/bus stop' mode of running!
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Hi Sally, you've got lots of time to build up to running all the way. Even if you walk and run round though, that would be OK. I'm pretty sure there's no cut-off for this race (where they re-open the roads and take the finish line away) because I remember people still coming in when I was leaving last year and I'd taken 2 1/2 hours and had a cup of tea and all sorts! Also remember a woman with a race number on and a dog on a lead!
  • Options
    Jen - possibly a really idiotic/naive question, hope you don't mind - are there portaloos en route or do you just have to find a tree to wee behind?! (or pop into a pub?)

Think I need to get my water consumption under control - on the 10k yesterday I drank a whole bottle of water at the first station and ran the rest of the way with my legs crossed - d'oh!

Just wondered with you saying it was quite hot last year, and you didn't drink anything on the way round - is this why??
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    I don't remember any portaloos but there were several pubs you could nip into!

No, I idiotically thought that I didn't need to drink anything because if I stopped running to drink I wouldn't get going again. Of course what actually happened was that I got more and more tired and dehydrated, so when I stopped at the end my legs nearly gave way!

I've done a marathon since then and learned my lesson about drinking plenty!
  • Options
    hi folks
    hydration and weeing
    The last two 10ks I've done, I've managed to get round without needing to take extra water on. Nor did I have to drink so much before that I was searching for loos.

I did this by making sure I drank more water than usual for the week before the races. I'm not very good at drinking the recommended 2 litres a day usually, so I made sure that I had 8 glasses a day at least. Simple to check - just make sure you're running clear (maybe easier for the blokes)

Not sure what I'll do for a half, but this has worked for me for 10ks and I'll be sticking to the strategy from now on.
  • Options
    MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Hello Sally. Hello Rob. These forums can become addictive so beware! Autumn in Carlisle can be quite pleasant Rob - you probably won't need to run in your fleece. I echo what you say about West Cumbria - not sure when you left, but it probably hasn't improved much. Were you based in one of the major conurbations - Wukkintun, or White'even, or was it one of those quaint little villages?
  • Options
    Does Cockermuth still count as West Cumbria or is it now in "The Lake District"?
  • Options
    Hmm seems to be getting more lively in here best keep an eye on this thread more often.

Welcome to the new peeps, Rob and Sally that i can see quickly.

Just had 3 days of running in a row due to a hectic week at work last week.

A 5 mile tempo run pre work on Sat morning @ 9:39 min/mile, a nice 8.22 mile jaunt around my local 4 mileish circuit twice in the sun yesterday afternoon @ 10:45 min/mile and a 4 mile tempo run this morning @ 9:28 min/miles.

So far my new training regime is going nicely and i even managed to remian slow enough for my LSR pace yesterday whihc i was pleased with.

Did this one last year in 2:18 and being i have my next marathon the week after at Dartmoor vale i doubt i'll be going any faster here this year. I'll see how the running is going nearer the time but to date my target time is going to be around 2:20 so off course come race day i'll get tagged onto a group and roar round in under 2:10 or better knowing me.
  • Options
    Hi,

The dark cloud usually hangs somewhere between Keswick and Cockermouth, so I'd say it does count as West Cumbria, unless there's been some renaming going on, in the fifteen years I've been out of Egremont (too big to be quaint and not big enough to be considered major). Glad there's a few Cumbrians here, it almost feels like home (just with less rain).
  • Options
    Ah forgot to mention

I live in one of those 'quaint' W Cumbrian villages just outside Whitehaven.
  • Options
    MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    I think we can just about allow Cockermouth to be in The Lake District, but Egremont hmmmmmmmmmmm, not so sure!

Only joking, Rob. Although it obviously wasn't attractive enough to make you stay.
  • Options
    Millsy-With all this rain,carlisle hasnt been flooded again has it??
  • Options
    does anyone know of a good half mara training plan to work to? I have done 1 10K, although i've only been for 1 run since, and the race was almost 2 months ago! I did have mild shin splints, hence the extended rest (that's my excuse anyway). So I'll have to rebuild fitness up again, but not sure what plan to follow. I know there are different schedules on this site, but also a million others on the net, and not sure which is best. Any advice? ta
  • Options
    I'm in a similar boat with wanting to step up from my first 10k at the weekend to this half in Oct - I saw a plan on the training page of this site but don't know how it compares in effectiveness to the many others.
    Also, it seems to endorse the run/walk approach, which I'm trying to break away from, so not convinced it wouldn't be counter productive...
  • Options
    Icw75, Sally
    To prepare for my first half, GNR 2002, I took the beginner's schedule from their site and then adapted it, (quite drastically) to suit my needs.
    With a lot lower mileage than th eschedules recommended, a friend and I (both non-runners) managed to get round, without walking in 2h 13, which we were delighted with.

If you're up to 10k already, you have plenty of time to prepare for Cumbria. I did not run further than 10k until August 2002, about 7 or 8 weeks before the half marathon.

If you'd like me to e-mail you the runs I did, please drop me a line. I'd be happy to send you the schedule I followed.
  • Options
    XL-man, that would be great, thanks! (I should be e-mail enabled)

I would be very happy with 2h 13, though I think 2h 30 is maybe more likely!
  • Options
    Me too, thanks so much - have just e-mail enabled myself!

I'd be deliriously happy with anything around the 2h 15 mark but really just want to make it round in one piece, preferably avoiding heart attack and not giving in to pesky walking...
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Ooh, Camel, can you send me one as well please? ;o) I'm in a right muddle with training at the moment. Gonna try the half mile splits that you mentioned before - next week, after my 5k tomorrow night.
  • Options
    Hi again

I posted a few pages back about the Great Cumbrian Run website I edit.

http://www.greatcumbrianrun.co.uk

Still looking for contributors: bloggers, memories, news stories. But there's a very quick section you could help me out on - and it's a bit fun too, I hope - at http://www.greatcumbrianrun.co.uk/features/ijog.htm

In the meantime, if you have any suggestions for the site - anything you'd like to see covered, etc. - then please do get in touch via the contact details on the site.

I'm not getting paid for this, so I'd really appreciate your input in at least the above mentioned link! Cheers guys :)
  • Options
    MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Mick - No, and thank goodness for that. Having just watched the news it brought back some uncomfortable memories. We were unaffected, but loads of people were left homeless. What surprised me was people tonight saying that they had been flooded but were hoping to go back home tomorrow. Wrong answer! Some locals couldn't get back in for over 12 months. These were the exception, but most people were living elsewhere for several months. Getting the water out is probably the easiest job.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
  • Options
    Thanks XL-man, i can't access hotmail at work but i'll pick up your e-mail later.

Did a 5K race last night. Took me 35m 44s, which was actually quicker than my january 5K time by 5 whole minutes!!!! The course was different, and slopes not so steep, but i've only been for one 15min run in the past 2 months, so I'm pleased with the time. Will be making concerted effort to start and maintain a proper training plan from no on!
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Well done on your PB lcw - you're going well!