Options

Any brand new runners out there?

Comments

• Options

omg, a couple of days away and the thread's been taken over by loads of blokes talking about running of all things image

a big welcome to Kevin and Andrew.

Who was it wanted to know about cheap running gear - try Aldi or Lidl if you have one near you, every so often they both get in big ranges of all sorts of stuff from socks to running tights to jackets.  Very cheap and not bad quality.  a lot of the online sites have clearance sales at the mo - have a look further down in the right hand border under the macmillan advert.  this is where us girlies come into our own - with the shopping forecasts!!

• Options

another note on the shopping - dorunning.co.uk has a big sale on and so does runnersneed.co.uk - also have a look on ebay as you can get some really good bargains on there!!

totally agree with ya jen - shopping and us girls go hand in hand! shall we hav a natter bout some shoes and bags next??! imageimage

• Options
    Agree about Aldi - have bought loads of stuff there in the past. If you register online you get sent a weekly update so you know what's arriving in store - when it's gone it's gone. That way also you do't waste a trip to see what they have.
  • Options

Hello everyone image

Well done Andy some good photos there as well image

Big D hope your race went well yesterday image

G goodluck doing all that stuying(rather you than me image)Pleased to hear that you've found your mojo again image

Hi Kevin i'm hoping to get in GNR as well have enterd the ballot via the telegraph i believe GNR ballot opens on thursday good luck for getting in.Those are some serious times you have thereimage I don't know where you live but id it's anywhere near newcastle or durham you could always try start fitness for your jacket(I have one from aldi it's lovely and warm and well made as well but they only come in eery so often and you have to be quick as well)

Hi Andrew well done for getting up off the sofa(i was stuck there for a very long time but managed to prise myself away and i love running now it's addictive tho i'm warning you image)Keep going with your programme it will get you there i started out run/walking in june/july i think last year and i ran 7.5 miles yesterday without stopping (well except for crossing roads)If you like this site you should check out fetcheveryone as well .Keep up the good work your doing great image

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/

Naomi wow well done on running after having your wisdom teeth out that's dedication girl image

*passes keith some vaseline for his 'chaffed bits' *

Mick well done on your run it sounds lovely and quite a pace as well image

Jen how's things going can you cross train yet???How are you?? I think we maybe in danger of becoming over run with men on here ........

Keith
    micknphil
    Kevin
    Skelly
    Andy
    Big D
    Kevin

• Options
    I can cross train, but haven't done (apart from PT sessions - but those have gone down to 1x a week instead of 2x lately, what with Christmas, New Year and work. Fitness is in rapid decline, I really must get my @rse into gear!!
  • Options

<slumps into thread>

I HATE BLOODY MONDAYS!!!!

phew got that off my chest snigger!

well done on ur run yest EB - thats a fab distance! us girls def giving keith a run for his money!!

Naomi - i totally echo EB - whenever i go near a dentist im usually in shock and feeling sorry for myself for a week so hats off to you for getting back out there running so quick!

come on jen - get that cross training session booked! and im sure your fitness not in that much of a decline if you still been doing PT sessions - i think you very brave doing them - i start trembling in fear at the thought of PT sessions!!

sigh oh why is it not home time yet?? image

• Options
    but G, my PT sesh are mostly weights, just a little cv in the middle (6-8mins) to get HR back up.  I really struggled Saturday and I was only walking on the treadie with a slight incline
  • Options

*hugs for g and Jen*

I hate bloody mondays too especially when i have gained weight, am due a little visitor(totm) and it's miserable outside imageimage

Jen the sooner you get back on the horse the better book a crosstraining session today don't think about it just do it imageimageimage

• Options

jen - weights and 8 mins of cross training is still more than most of the population! give yourself a pat on the back and book a longer sesh as EB says!

EB - the weight gain (and its prob something silly like 1 pound!) is prob muscle from all those hills you've been sprinting up!!!

2 hours to go till freedom - not that im counting!

• Options

Hi to you all,

Fingers crossed early bird I too entered the Telegraph ballot.

Took my time on the four mile run,flat really but weather a bit miserable and did a 39m15s felt good but thought I could have pushed it a bit.Took the advice and held back might do it again Tuesday and then rest Wednesday and do a 3mile flat run Thursday with the thought of a 6mile Sunday that may have one hill or atleast it looks like a hill to me.

I think this is great being able to chat about training and especially giving me advice.

Takening advice on the jacket and it seems I can get a Nike featherlight jacket for £42 on ebay less than half price.Is it a good waterproof jacket as the rain does not seem to want to go away at the mo.

Kev

• Options

hi kev

i entered the GNR via the ballot as well so fingers crossed!

i swear by nike so i'd say that def a good jacket and that is a very good price!! i love ebay - saves me so much money which i can spend on more running gear lol!!

• Options

Hi eb

Saturdays race was nearly 7miles of cross country, with a bit of winter sunshine at Wollaton park in Nottingham. I was not last, but not far off.

Sundays was 6 damp and windy miles at Barrow upon Soar. With a jog walk there and back making it 12miles in all. And again I was not last.

My legs are a bit stiff today.

• Options

Hi Big Dave,

7 miles cross country in a  race,thats good going and a light run the next day of 12miles.

I thought you told me that it was important to rest!!!!!

Only joking, keep it going and have a good leg massage I think you deserve it.

Kev

• Options
    i have sore legs today too oh well cant be helped they'll be just as bad next monday too no doubt as i think i'm looking at a minimum of 40 miles this week
  • Options

Kev

I am resting today. honest! and I will be resting tomorrow too.

Also the weekend was a little more intensive than usual, but not really outside of what I am used to doing. The legs would have been stiffer if I had done a mara.

Keith my mileage last week (28.2) was slightly over my nominal (25)  As far as I can remember I have never done 40 in a week.

• Options

hi guys

just got back from run - felt really good! am loving just enjoying running again - it feels like ages since i was like that! had dinner so now all i hav left is to do bout an hour studying (sob) and then im free for the night!!! well, by that, i mean i can crawl into bed smirk!

hope everyone having a good night! rest those legs boys - you dont wanna wake up tomo and discover you can barely move image

• Options

Hi Kev sounds like you have a good hang on your training there keep at it and you'll be giving Keith a run for his money in no time image

Wow Big D that's some serious mileage you done at the weekend.Did you enjoy your cross country run those are my favs image 

Keith are you sure you really  need to do all those miles??? Oh and i hope your looking after your cat and giving her plenty of roast chicken imageimage

G boy your realy getting back into this with a vengence aren'y you it's really nice to see you enjoying your runs so much.
    *passes a slice of cheesecake over and a glass of wine*
    You are going to need some fuel for all that studying your going to do.

Well i'm tired now off to bed catch you all tomo keep up the good work imageimage

• Options

Big D - Never gone off 32 myself before but that'll be passed a lot this year. heck i'l go over the 3 times in races alone. I'm looking at building up carefully towards roughly 40-45 miles a week long term. Currently this is easy to manage as i need to get some back to back long runs in for my 40 mile race in Feb.

I need to average 38.25 per week to get to 2000 miles for the year. The weekly figure is based on 2000 divided by 366 days and then times 7 where as others just divide the 2000 by 52 giving a higher figure.

• Options
    she got the left overs off my plate and will get some off of the chicken legs too probably when i go to bed. Speaking of which i fancy the chciken legs now.
  • Options

Thanks for the welcome, it's a good job there's ladies on here to help with the shopping, I'm hopeless at that, ask the other half.

• Options

Andrew

there's nothing as satisfying as helping someone achieve their fitness goals

that's what we experienced ones should be striving for

passing on down our experience and skill and knowledge

• Options

i forgot to say

just occasionally, some of us experienced ones fall off our perch , as i call it, or , which ever way you wish to see it,  but of course we have the knowledge how to get straight back into it

February 2007 i went down with severe gastric flu, i missed the Sunday run, was back on my feet on the Thursday , and on the folling Sunday pushed phillip around a 4h 52 min marathon

a later in year i was in hospital due to gel drinks.. YUK .. two weeks after being on crutched we ran a 2h .00 HM

and so on.. i just wish when i started out i had al lthis support, but it was a long time ago

i gladly help people, to save them the battle i had

• Options
    Morning all, Got to pick some new trainers up today, I've lost my others image Only 4 weeks till the Brighton Half, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek and 13 weeks till london image
  • Options
    ooooo new shoes *jumps up and down all excited* image 
  • Options
    Just realises that they're not hers image
  • Options
    Sorry, I wish I didn't have to buy them but my others have disappeared, I've literally turned the flat upside down but no joy, ah well. £70 well spent!
  • Options

oh new shoes!!! oh i love love love shoes!!!

joins EB in sobbing as i too want new shoes!

• Options

http://images2.buzzillions.com/images_products/06/38/240019_300.jpg

Those bad boys, also picked up my dad's belated christmas presents, series 1 and 2 of little britain for £8!

• Options
    Hi just a quick post 5.2 miles done in 51 mins and i'm a very happy bunny it felt reeealy great and i'm still grinning(i even done a sprint finish image) *skips dances and sings her way out of thread*
  • Options
    Hummpf nobody interested then *flounces outta thread*