Options

Any brand new runners out there?

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Godders, i shall be chanting all the way round, "I wont be last, i wont be last" !!!!!
  • Options
    I need to buy a proper running jacket, can anyone suggest a good one?
  • Options

ooh ... evening everyone .. I'm so rushed an disorganised!   14.39 miles for me for January so far ..

Well done Naomi that's brilliant!  you're making great progress ... good on you - stormin through that 5 mile barrier .. crash!

EB .. you're so speeeedy . good on you ... G .. did you say NY marathon?  sorry I'm too rushed to read properly - that 'd be brillaint !!  Wow

Big Hi to everyone else - I'm oif to London tomoorow - whooopee ... rest (ahem) week for me -well except for the elbow muscles!  I'll make up for it next week...!  x

• Options

Wow G.  New York?  That's fantastic!  How far you've come .......

I'm still running, quite sporadic through Oct and November due to dark nights and not being able to get out in the day. I stopped going to my Women's Network as I had a really bad session and couldn't face going back!!!    But Xmas was good as hubby was at home and I was able to get out regularly.  This has continued as my youngest started pre-school two sessions a week (just 2 and half hours each time) and I've been able to get out then and again at weekends.  Unfortunately, he hates it and I'll probably  be pulling him out soon as, with me not actually working, it seems harsh to have him so upset when there's no need to as he's still young (He's 2 and half).

My times are not improving, nor my distances; still only running 2 or 3 miles each time but hopefully this will improve if I can continue to get out 3 times a week. 

The motivation is still there!   Just getting the time .......

• Options

hey jo!

so good to hear from ya! oh i know what you mean bout those dark nights - my mileage took a hit during nov and dec as well so im consequently battling to get it back up now! thats  a shame bout ur youngest not liking pre school, still as you say he only young. is he sleeping through the night now? i remember last yr he was giving you a few probs!

well done for still getting out there running - i have no idea how you manage it with little ones to look after as well! dont worry bout speed or distance, as you say the fact you getting out there and enjoying it is the most important thing! and dont forget you running 2/3 miles 3 times a week is probably more than 90% of the population manage!!!

im still snuffling away and generally feeling sorry for myself (i'm not a good patient at all!!) so no running for me again today! fingers crossed i'll be better tomo!

• Options
    Where's everybody gone ???????????????????
    Ran two miles today, only a short run but this week my training is focusing on increasing speed. Did my two miles at 11 1/2 min per mile rather than 12, so thats 30 seconds faster (woo hoo!!!!!!!)
  • Options

fab tshirt Martin image

well done Naomi, you're making great progress

G - hope you feel better soon

Jo - knew you wouldn't be able to resist popping back in!!!!

• Options

Jo good for you still getting out sporadic or not it's more than what a lot of people do image Shame about the youngest not liking pre school but like you say no point in getting him so upset when it's not necessary yet ,some kids are ready for pre school others aren't no point in forcing the issue you may put them off proper school.I ttok my sonout of nursery as he was obviously very unhappy yet my youngesr went to play group nursery the works and didn't flinch.

Martin fab t-shirt i'm sure your mum would be very proud of you image

Fab progress Naomi keep it up image

Jen are you cross training yet??

G hope your feeling better soon.

Well we had loads of snow on monday i went for a run on tuesday and fell on the ice and then today i scalded myself on hot soup i was blending image It's all in my blog on fetch can't be bothered to go thru it all again i'm sore and i want to lie down will catch up laters

• Options

Where do we fit in here, isn't there just a little place for us on Brand new runners

wishing you all well you know

• Options

Of course there is Mick it's right here --------->                  image

Hi Skellie how are you?

• Options

hi everyone

EB - are you feeling better today and less sore?? that must have been painful falling on the ice - i think you very brave venturing out running in the ice and snow!

hey skel - how are ya?

naomi - well done on ur run! did you manage to get a running jacket in the end?

jen - how are you? how the ankle?

cathy - hope you loving london!!!

good news - I'm better!!! hurrah! i get back out running again and burn off the curry and beer i had last night!!

hope everyone well and having good days!

• Options

Hi G pleased to hear that your better get out there and run girl image

I'm going to be a wuss tonight and stay in as i'm still quite sore and neck is till really hurting *feels sorry for herself* will get back to running again probs at the w/e.

• Options

I feel great tonight, 1 minute run, 1 minute walk for 27 minutes, pure pleasure  image

I'm putting times and distances into a spreadsheet to see any improvements as I get going, currently my approximate speed is 4.7 mph and if I've worked out the minute mile correctly I am currently at 12.7.

Of course at this stage I am just interested in running/walking and speed won't be in my thoughts until I'm jogging the 3 miles target that I have set myself.  Rest day tomorrow, small walk run session on saturday and on Sunday I am going to walk the route of my first race and may even have a go at running some of it image

My goal for now is to run the 5k race in 35-40 minutes and that is on April 6th, once that's out of the way I'll increase my distance slowly and maybe enter a 10k from September onwards.

Reasons and fundraising page

Thanks for reading,

Andy

• Options

hi guys can i join? I was born with spina bifida and have a spastic right leg, also both feet are of different sizes one a size 7 and one a size 4.  Yes i have to buy two pairs of shoes. Been running since last march when i managed to run for 2 mins walk for 1 min x5, i have also run/walked the gsr in 2 hours 33 mins (cried when I finished).  I now run regularly 3-4 times  a week and have just managed to run 2 miles in 27 mins.  My traning plan is to run 4 times a week., and every two weeks increase the milage by 0.50. so this week and next week running 2 miles then up it to 2.5 for the next two weeks etc.  Running again in the gsr this year and I WILL RUN IT ALL.

Hi godders

kitten red 

• Options

(((((EB))))) sorry to hear you feeling sore still hun - have a nice long soak in bath with a glass of wine - will do you good!

hey red!!! long time no spk - well type!!! looks like you making real progress still! hav u entered the GSR?? i got that priority thing through coz had done it last yr - lets pray the weather nicer tho and not a hurricane on the last mile!!

wow andy you making great progress - its such a great feeling isn't it when you first start running and can notice huge improvements all the time!!!

• Options

Hi Kittenred, welcome aboard, they're a supportive bunch on this thread (I think all threads are supportive).

Thanks godders, it is indeed a great feeling image

• Options

Evening all

Zero running so far this week mostly due to slipping in the kitchen on sunday. It was were i'd dropped some of my roast spuds and there must of been fat on them still. Ankle was a bit niggly most of the week but seems to be behaving now, was gonna go for a run tonight but it was after 6 by the time i'd finished work and gone shopping.

Slowly getting things prepared for sunday's marathon, will NOT forget the bumbag OR the jelly babies this time image WILL PB no idea by how much though so go bet on me on Fetch.

Currently watching a film from my childhood on DVD in bed, Footloose and yes i am that old image. Bed soonish, forget how long it is cant be much more left. Need sleep been stoppping up to late recently which isn't the greatest of preparation for a marathon.

A nice lazy short run of 5-7 miles tomorrow i think and then probably a proper short run saturday morning too if i'm up nice and early, something in the 3-4 mile region i'd say. Then a trip down south for my marathon.

Lord knows what i'll run next week but i would say a short 3-5 miles on Tuesday most likely to loosen the legs after sundays marathon and then perhaps another run on thursday of 5-7 miles before my 40 miler on the sunday. I think that one might hurt a bit and i really must decide on a strategdy BEFORE i start the race. Something like run 25 mins walk 5 mins or run 3 miles walk 5 mins say.

Which of you lasses am i matching mileage too?? Godders, EB and Cathy isn't it?

• Options
    Welcome Kittenred

Great to have another new member, looking forward to hearing how your training goes!!!

Naomi
  • Options
    Don't forget your matching me too Keith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image

• Options
    bugger i had a feeling there were 4 of you image
  • Options

Yes Jen, couldn't resist!    And Hi to EB too. 

Andy, watching your progress carefully.  Sounds like you are doing really really well.   We are at about the same speed, though I think you are a bit quicker, and I did my fastest 5 K at 41 minutes last year so you are well on course to do 35-40 minutes. 

Little one still at pre-school for now - apparently he's "angry" at me for leaving him and is absolutely fine whilst there!  I stayed behind 10 minutes today and watched him.   Little sod ...........

• Options
    In fact, Andy, I've just been looking at your justgiving page and noticed what race you are doing.  Whereabouts are you?  If you are near the Dougie Mac race venue, you're not that far away from me.  I'm just outside  Lichfield.
  • Options

Hi Spark,

Thanks for your kind words, I'm just hoping I'll be able to keep it up even though I know it's all in my hands. 

I'm in Newcastle under Lyme, so only about 5 miles from the venue.  Are you entering any races?  I've heard that the Stoke on Trent parks have 5k races on later in the year but haven't got any firm details. 

Andy

• Options

Was askwd at work today what i'd do if our 4 person syndicate actually won the lotto. Had to say quit work, have a hobby now after all image, and move. When asked where i said Stoke/Stafford as its central to everywhere, just think how many races i'd do if i lived there.

I gather the beer is good in the stoke/stafford region too

• Options

I'm not sure about what races yet - probably do the R4L again, if only to compare my time from last year!   Might do the Shrugborough R4L as well this year.  Not many non-serious 5Ks around ......

My village (Fradley) has a well known 10K in early March which I was hoping to do but after a slow winter, I don't think I'm up for it, especially as it's local and will be embarrassed to limp in 15 minutes after what they think is the last person!  (that's not a sympathy vote, but reality!!!) However, they do a 2K  "fun run" which my daughter wants to enter and my husband is keen for us all to do as a family - 2  year old in a back pack on his back!  I might do this, though my daughter runs with me occasionally and is much faster and fitter so could be horrifying to be shown up by a 6 year old!!

Wouldn't know about the beer, Keith, I'm afraid.  Red bull and vodka tastes the same everywhere, I've found .........

• Options

andy you are doing well thats how i started by the walk run system and it worked you will see a great improvement.  its a great sense of achievement to even get out there. believe you me i couldnt even imagine that i would be running for two miles non stop at this stage. just take it slow and you will reap the benefits.

Godders have paid and in the gsr this year

red

• Options

Hi to you all,

Been to the physio today found out whats causing the pain in my knee.

Feel abit silly about it. Ran to catch the bus in the beginning of December and felt a twinge in the hamstring the next day and thought nothing of it. So when I started doing runs above 4miles it gets a little upset!

That will teach me to warm up properly when going for the bus!

The physio also said static stretches are not as good as dynamic stretches and its best to jog for about ten minutes and then ten minutes of dynamic stretches.

Hope this is of some benefit,but atleast he said I can run again and nothing more than three miles for atleast three weeks.

Me thinks its now time to use my free gym pass and do some cross training.

Hope everyones well and recovering from all our silly accidents and mishaps.

Kev

• Options

had a great run tonight 31 mins and did 2.34 miles