Options

Any brand new runners out there?

Comments

• Options

Hope you manage to get back to running eventually jen keep crosstraining girl image I hate january i'm always skint imageimage

• Options
    Hi everyone, no running today, but did some time on the cross trainer, stepper and then some weights!!!!!! Didn't enter the GNR as live in Hampshire, but good luck to everyone else!!! Thank you very much to everyone that is going to sponser me, I will sponser you all too !!!!!!!
  • Options

Hi,

I have a question for you.  My first booked race (5K) is on April 6th and I am starting the run/walk phase of my training schedule this weekend.  I am toying with the idea of going to Alexandra Park in March as a sort of trial under race conditions and make that my first as the one in April is a local charity event and I am suddenly feeling very nerous about running in front of people I know. 

Has anyone ran an Alexandra Park 5k?  Is it serious or can I just plod to get a time and a bit of confidence?

Thanks,

Andy

• Options

Andy

You know my friend

everyone has to start somewhere, and that really does mean  everyone

you go out at it hard, if your a beginner or newbie, and you might just well do your self great harm you know !

You go do your very own thing, and if people out there want to laugh , then let the sad Buggars laugh 

take real good care ahh

Mick

• Options

Andy don't feel nervous about running in front of people you know at least your out there doing something positive, i very much doubt if anyone will laugh and if they do then like MIck says they are sad buggers.I don't know the Alexandra 5k ,or even where it is come to that lol but i'm sure you'll be fine at either or both(if you do both you could go for a PB on the following raceimage)The charity one will have people of all abilites there and should also have a great atmosphere as people don't them as seriously.Good luck and keep us up to date with your decision

EB

• Options

Martin's ran alex park before and given the first opportunity (probably may) i'm intending to run it too, still not ran a 5k yet which tbf is shocking for me image

did a 17 mile run earlier and managed it in 2:52 with a ave pace of 10:06 min miles which is right at the faster end of my long run speed, felt like i could of carried on at the end and i was going faster for the last few miles too but as all i'd eaten was a chicken sarnie and a sausage roll i thought better of it espcially as i'd only taken one bottle of lucazade caffenine boost out with me

• Options
    Keith did you not watch jamie the other night do you know what they put in sausage rolls *gaggs*  Good run BTW image Now stop training and give us a chance to blooming well catch up will ya image
  • Options

hi everyone

andy i echo everyone else - no one will laugh at you as the atmosphere at all the races i have ever been to has always been one of encouragement and everyone spurs everyone else on!

Jen - sorry to hear bout ur ankle - want me to see if i can buy you a new one on ebay???! as EB says, keep up the cross training!

EB - how ya doing? blimey you clocking up the miles this month girl!! was a having a peek on ur training schedule on fetch! and yep we totally gonna whoop skel's arse!! Em doing good - she out running, busy with new job!

cathy - hows the running going? have you had a couple of good runs since ur last one? how's the strongbow going down??!

just got back from run - managed 5 miles so fitness starting to come back! aiming for 6-8 tomo and monday and then start easing off as i have a race next sun - first one since GSR so bit nervous!! right off to do some studying sob - roll on may when i will be exam free!!

hav a good weekend everyone!

• Options
    godders - erm there are 3 or 4 of you versus poor ickle me, heck i've only just reached 79 miles for the year so there is no rush yet image
  • Options
    LSR 1 of the weekend and a Fetch Challenge woohoo
    Well thats the first LSR completed for this weekend. Don't think tomorrows will be quite as long but will see after i've finished work. Nice enjoyable calm day with shockingly no rain at all
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/images/icons/icon_wink.gif

Splits for today

9:21
    10:43 up hill
    10:05
    9:44 down hill
    9:53
    9:58
    10:14
    10:28
    10:41 wee drink walk break
    10:36 uphill stretch again
    10:32 rest of uphill
    9:45 downhill
    10:30 minor uphill with walk break to drink
    9:55
    9:49
    9:42
    9:54 probably as fast as the last few but a u turn to reverse direction in this one

total distance 17.03 miles in 2:52:10 @ 10:06 pace which is at the fast end of my LSR range

Very happy with the run, nice and steady throughout without going too fast down the hills, in fact the second down hill was interesting as once i hit the bottom going along the flat was hard to start with. Got the speed sorted pretty quick though and was soon ambling along again.

Espcially pleased with the pick up in speed over the last few miles and i felt like i could of carried on going at a little under 10 min miling for another few miles. Tomorrow will be a 12-15 ish mile run i think unless i get dumb and carry on to about 17 miles and reach 100 for the year.

Also it seems i've had my first Fetch Challenge and will now be racing Canary Yellow at Silverstone on the basis of who can run closest to their half PB. I would say the advantage is his as i feel he should be able to knock a bit of time off his where as i'll be racing a 14 miler the day before but we'll see on the day.
  • Options

Just wanted to say a quick hello!  I do come into the thread and read up a little but with so many posts, it can be hard to catch up!  But everyone seems to be doing really well so well done!!!!

• Options

Thank god for lamp posts image

Went out for brisk walk, 20 minutes, partner went home after 12 minutes, I finished off, only 0.4 of a mile, ran from local pub to end of road, walked around corner to get breath back then ran one lamp post, walked one, ran two and then was home, felt great, roll on tomorrow, a brisk walk for 20 minutes.  Monday I am going to walk home from work, 2.54 miles according to fetch website and am going to walk 5 minutes, run 1 minute and so on and try to improve my best time of 34 minutes.

Micknphil, thanks for the support, a timely reminder that it is only 2 weeks since I started this regime, take it at the pace that suits, I do listen to my body.  Roll on tomorrow image

• Options

EB, Godders, Alexandra park is an enter on day event so may see how I feel.  Keith, I may even get there in May, it sounds good on the website, although I think it'll be a step back in distance for yourself, keep up the good work.

http://www.openathletics.org/index.php?page=alexandra-park

• Options

it'll NOT be a step back in distance but a speed test instead image i do have a horrible feeling it'll hurt far more than a marathon does though image espcially if i kane it all the way round

am erm looking forward to running a 5k in a semi sadistic way, hopefully there will be some mid week local ones i'm told about to race otherwise it'll be a long wait until i get a chance to do one

May and june are the first available times to do Alex park for me

• Options

it'll NOT be a step back in distance but a speed test instead image i do have a horrible feeling it'll hurt far more than a marathon does though image espcially if i kane it all the way round

am erm looking forward to running a 5k in a semi sadistic way, hopefully there will be some mid week local ones i'm told about to race otherwise it'll be a long wait until i get a chance to do one

May and june are the first available times to do Alex park for me

• Options

Andy, I'll be running it in April so I'll see you there. Will have a fetch tshirt on haha.

5 mile run for me tomorrow, going to do it in the afternoon once I get back from my dads tomorrow.

• Options

Jo *waves like a mad woman* how are you girl??? Good to see your still keeping up with what we are up to image So what are you doing have you done any running lately?? *curtsies to the founder of the thread*

Keith that link you put up doesn't work what you been trying to post image Good work on your run image

Andy fab work welll done image

Enjoy your run Mart image

I have a 7.5 mile run planned today hope the rain stays away  *does a 'dry weather' dance*

G your not doing too bad yourself hun mileage creeping up as is your speed returning good work imageGood luck for your race(chernobyl 10k) you'll be fab (should i be betting on you for a PB?)

Cathy Jen where are you two hiding???Come out come out whereever you areimage Ok i'm off now may pop back later after my run and see if anybody is about have a good day everbody

• Options

The rains not stayed away, but who cares ipod and wooly hat on and a 4.5m run with some little inclines to stop it from being a boring flat run.Slight pain in left knee I think it might be my running action and done in 37m52s

Still taking your advice and not pushing it. I think I could move up to my midweek runs being about 3/4m and the Sunday run being a 6m. Look forward to your advice on this.

Keep up the good work everyone and who knows we all may be at a race together and enjoying a cooling drink at the end!

Kev

• Options

hi everyone

Jo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great to see ya!! how are you?? how are those little ones of yours??? hows the running going? so so good to see you on here!

EB - how the long run go today?? and no i wouldnt put a PB bet on me - not gonna be aiming for one and just gonna take it easy and enjoy it! and prob me and Em will be hungover doing it (tho we are persuading orselves at the mo that we are not going to be drinking the night before image)

keith - you laid down the gauntlet so we gonna be running as fast and hard as we can to catch up with you! which i think we doing actually! and you just wait - im training for new york marathon in summer so mileage gonna be skyrocketing image

well done for getting out there and running in rain etc kevin! ice and rest that knee for a bit tho!

was going to do a big 7/8 miler today but sob sob sob i have a stinker of a cold - had a temp all night and now cant stop sneezing so no running for me today! might go on exercise bike a bit later as that indoors and just give legs a work out! fingers crossed i will be better tomo as i have day off work so want to get a long run in!

• Options

If I do manage to not die at the FLM then my ultimate aim will be to do the "big" marathons over the next few years....

sorry to hear you're ill G, I had that for 2 weeks, fantastic fun!

Oh and next time Keith is running with me I'll break his legs for you all image 

• Options
    i wasn't aware you ran fast enough to keep up image
  • Options
    Hi all,

RAN 5.22 MILES TODAY IN 63 MINUTES !!!!! have broken the five mile barrier (TA DAAAAA)
    32 miles so far this month so Keith hopefully we're all keeping up with you.

*leaves the thread dancing as she made 5 miles*
  • Options

hmm  steady now else i'll drop you lot down to 3 vs me image

i miscalculated yesterday i'm not on 79 for the month but 83 instead plus i've not been out yet today

• Options

Well Keith will be pleased to hear that i only done just over 3 1/2 miles today image Legs were tired before i even got out there(maybe i'm being a little strict on my diet or it could just be an off day) Anyhoo went out and done it so pleased about that an undulating course with 1 hill(yes a hill!!!!!!) somehow managed to keep it under 10mmp god knows how but there you have it.Looking forward to a coffee and a run with K on tuesday morning(if K ever replies to my email of course image) then another run on tuesday night with club.I've never done the two runs in one day thing before actually come to think of it i haven't actually ran two days after each other before either so i'm not too sure what to expect but hey ho we shall see.

G when did this marathon in the summer happen????Is Em doing it with you as well???

Mart i would appreciate if you could arrange that for me image

Naomi fab fab fab going girl feels great doesn't it ?32 miles for you, 34 miles this month so far for me 27 for G we just need Cathy's mileage and i think we shall beat him this month at least image

*shakes finger at Keith* don't be nasty to Mart.

• Options

best up my mileage then image

You're in luck as i'm feeling tired so i'l do my run today tomorrow instead, followed by runs tue to thur to and a short one on sat morning before heading south for my marathon on sunday

Might not run 4 days in a row but do mon to wed then da off thur and run friday with the short one on sat then the marathon. Week after should be erm fun. Thats when the 40 miler is so it will likely be a short run tuesday to loosen the legs and perhaps another run on thursday possibly another one on friday too depending oh how they feel.

Having a feeling the 4 of you should beat me for mileage fairly easily but we'll see how things go, you never know over time i might be able to reach 50 miles a week.

• Options

oi keith it's quality not quantity and lets face it - us girls will beat you hands down on that factor image

well done on beating 5 miles naomi - thats great going!! crack open a bottle of wine to celebrate!!

EB - well done on ur run today - spesh as you were feeling tired! yep me and Em going to do the new york marathon in november which basically means a week of shopping smirk!! oh and the marathon of course!!!

mart - any advantage you give us over keith a bonus!! and you'll be fine in the FLM!!

still feeling ill imageimageimage im keeping fingers crossed for a miracle cure overnight so i can go out running tomo!! and aint it bloody sods law that i get ill on a day i have booked off!! no bloody fair!!

• Options
    EB you're right it does feel GREAT, only been running for 5 weeks and have managed five miles, thought it was impossible, but i've made it.
    Only 7 weeks till my half so need to keep on building up my runs. Tempo runs start this week.

Godders how'd you get a place in the New York Marathon???
  • Options

naomi - we basically registering through a charity so have to raise money etc as well as pay for flights/hotel but cant wait! should be brilliant!

are you looking forward to ur half maratho?? what kind of time are you aiming for?

• Options
    I am looking forward to my half but am slightly worried that the longest i will of run before the day is 8 miles so how do I know that i'll be able to make 13 ???

I would like to make it round in about 2.30 hours but just to make it round at all would be great !!!

Im just terrified of being last !!!
  • Options
    i know what you mean - i ran the great south run (10 miles) back in oct and longest i'd ever run before was 7 miles but its amazing how much difference adrenaline makes on the day! and of course you wont be last - those are some pretty speedy times you have clocked up on fetch!