Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options
    Thumbs up here for the cake from Martha and Aidan - its a dry run for the birthday cake at the end of the month and its rather nice! I did Nigella's malteser cake for M's birthday last year but I didn't love it and the kids kept taking the maltesers off it!
  • Options
    I'd just settle for a baby of either sex and any wt (within reason!) right now TBH!

So yes, am still at home........not in established labour despite the amount of gunk (sorry!) coming out and the contractions. We have walked MILES today, and it's certainly uncomfortable with lots going on, but when I sit or lie down it all fizzles out. Have spoken to hosp, they are lovely, say there's no point coming in which I agree with, but it just means logistics with M are proving challenging. She's going to stay with another friend just round the corner tonight, as we agree that she would be more stressed out by being dragged from her bed in the middle of the night than starting the night somewhere else. Friend's daughter goes to same nursery so can drop her off in the morning together. Hubby round there now seeing her, helping with tea, bath bed etc. If we're still no further along this time tomorrow I don't know what we'll do!

Have just had a nice bath, and yes have been bouncing but that doesn't seem to do much - only walking around does. But MW I spoke to said until I am getting contractions all the time, even when sitting down then it's not established, so really I don't need to keep on my feet 24/7 and I am allowed to rest - phew!
  • Options

oh Caro- hope things get going but perhaps if nothing happening you'd be better getting a few hours sleep so you aren't exhausted. Perhaps M will get used to these sleepovers and you'll have built up a fantastic  babysitting group by the time baby appears!

Glad you have kids back CM- you need a rest!

CC- life if certainly not equal for everyone. A family near us were in a RTA this week -mum& 1 son killed leaving another 2 fighting for their lives. Hope your friend's family get a better deal soon.

Angelicals- come back- we need some young blood! Think she would be the youngest on here although I am probably the one with the oldest child (eldest is 21- I had him when I was 16).

Crappy day juggling work, kids and asthma clinic so trainers were on the moment hubby came through the door and did nearly 8 miles. Only have tomorrow and then hernia op which will stop me for a while image

• Options
    Yes CC and Camlo, those are both tragic stories.  I have had similar thoughts myself, especially recently, as my best friend's twin sister has been through more than any one should ever face.  She lost her 4 year old to neuroblastoma, then had an early miscarriage, then a still birth.  Thankfully they had another healthy baby shortly afterwards but I really don't know how on earth they have coped.
  • Options
    ChynahChynah ✭✭✭

some people get dealt a realy sh*tty hand - so unfair.. I have so much admiration for anyone that can cope with going through those types of things and stay sane.  Terrifies me.

Good luck Caro.

• Options
    That's awful CC, Camlo and TT. Stories like that put minor issues into perspective.

Camlo, great that you're getting your last runs in and then you can get on with recovery! How long after the op until you can exercise?

Sonya, hope your nights are getting better. Sam is 12 weeks today (!) and I think he's getting easier. I think 8 weeks was the turning point so hang in there (())

• Options
    No idea how long I need off work, off running, off driving etc! when I went for pre-op the nurse had no idea what I was having so couldn't tell me either. kids in bed, tea in oven and work emails shouting image
    Come on baby Caro, stop being naughty!!,
  • Options

oh my all those stories are so utterly sad.........i really don't know how people cope with so many awful things happening to them. I feel sick at the thought.

Camlo - good luck with the op. Is it keyhole?

Jo- glad S is getting easier. With all our girls it was months before it got slightly easier so lucky you!

Was up feeding M before bed earlier and was wondering if Caro might have been in established labour now but no. Naughty baby!!! Try and get a few hrs sleep if you can Caro.x

CC -busy day again. Its funny how we just always say oh need to slot in a 15 miler at some point in the day!!!!

Have applied for another job, practice nurse this time but don't hold out much hope!

• Options
    Don't despair Caro, they kept telling me for ages that I was 4cm and not in established labour and I thought I was never going to give birth, then all of sudden bam, he came out image
  • Options

So we have a race, which will happen first - Camlo's hernia op or Caro's baby??

And RF, I have NEVER just said, oh I need to slot in a 15 miler!!  It would be all fanfares ablazing if I did 15 miles as the furthest I have ever run is a half to date.  It's you marathon and ultra nutters that 'just slot in' those silly distances.

• Options
    Good luck camlo.

Just measured that we walked 7 miles today, over 3 walks. Well fat lot of good that did! Everything's died down so it's off to bed for me. Found a couple of good sites that discuss early labour and am having lots of the signs so that reassured me a bit. Also found one that said rest, so might not pound the pavements quite as much tomorrow. Was nice having hubby around today. His leave has officially started so hurry up baby or your daddy will have to go back to work!!

Night all.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17068053

Yet another happy story about maternity services at the hospital across the rd from where I work- where I could have chosen to have this baby if I'd wanted to.......
  • Options
    Definitely rest Caro - no point exhausting yourself if it is not going to make things happen any quicker!
    Moving day tomorrow - eeek exciting!!
  • Options
    Good luck with the move Hoggle !
  • Options
    hope u got some rest Caro + that things Hav kicked off again this morn + will b a family of 4 by this aft.
  • Options
    Caro, I had a very similar early labour - 3 days of on and off contractions that I knew weren't established labour, but were uncomfortable none the less - and didn't stop when I rested! You will remember and realise the instant you are in established labour - there's no way you could walk 7 miles! If you haven't already had this baby, you could reconsider the induction, because all they'd do is break the membrane and I'm pretty sure you'd go straight into full on labour! Good luck!
  • Options
    Morning. No baby........got a great nights sleep though! I'm definitely banking it at the moment!
    Vixo we have an appt at the maternal and fetal assessment unit tomorrow at 9.30am so we'll see what they say. I definitely will enquire about having my waters broken, but the thing that I'm not sure about is if they do that will I still be allowed in the birthing unit as opposed to labour ward, and will I be allowed in the pool? Also, there is the nagging doubt at the back of my mind that they will break my waters, nothing will happen (as this baby clearly doesn't want to be born!!) and then 24 hrs later they will have to start with more interventions.
    Meanwhile will do some walking today, but maybe not 7 miles again..........
  • Options
    Glad you got some sleep Caro, and hope M is enjoying her mini holidays! Have you tried shining a torch up there so baby can see the way out?? Maybe they are just rubbish at directions!
    Good Luck Hoggle!!
    Busy day planned and of course have to start carb loading for my inevitable starve and puke routine tomorrow!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

OMG, was convinced that Caro would have had the baby by now - I haven't been on here for a week!

Haven't really read back (last page or two) but TTid, that almost brought tears to my eyes.  HOW unfair??  The thought of losing a child at any age is unbearable.  My SIL's sister lost a 10-week old to whooping cough a couple of years ago; the suffering the whole family went through was awful.  She had a healthy baby about a year and a half later, but everyone on her side of the family is now paranoid every time a child gets a cough or fever.

Running-wise, plodding on - lots of niggly aches and twinges in my left leg which isn't great news.  They are never in the same place twice - last Sunday, on my 16 miler, the pain was in my left hip joint which was pretty unbearable by the end.  Ice, stretching and liberal applications of Voltarol gel seem to have helped, but the other night my left buttock was the twingey bit and it can also be the inner groin as well, which kind of spasms periodically.  I probably shouldn't be doing a marathon at all, but it's niggly rather than acutely painful so we'll carry on and see.

Was looking back at my training log from my last marathon (2010) and my training paces were SO much faster.  Not sure if this is a worrying sign or not.  To be fair it's difficult to compare because I now live in a completely different location and my evening runs are much more difficult with badly-lit, broken and cambered pavements as opposed to wide, well-lit and even pavements and the area is generally much hiller.  But it's demoralising nonetheless.  Hubby says it's just my self-doubt creeping in, which is probably true, but as I said to him I don't want to just "get round".  Unless I have a reasonable shot of at least a PB I would rather not run.

TTid, agree with "slotting in" 15-milers, LOL!  Have to say I enjoy running anywhere up to 14 miles tops for a long run - after that, it all starts becoming a chore.  have 20 to do on Sunday which I'm not particularly looking forward to, but at least I'll have the benefit of company.

• Options

birth lit by mobile phone

at least this isn't your local state of the art hospital Caro.  But it is mine!  11 minutes is quite a long time for a hospital to be without power I must say.  I did find it a bit worrying that the labour rooms weren't included as areas in need of batteries as well as back up generators. 

The sad stories make me cry.  I had to defend a case recently where there was a mum killed in a RTA leaving a wee girl of just 1 at the time and now 4 so right on ages with Lou and I couldn't read the pleadings without weeping. 

Minks I had to do my 8 mile tempo in the dark on Wed and I noticed how much more difficult it is to run in the dark.  I found it much harder to keep my speed up.  I have 17 to do tomorrow and I'm going to have to pretend I am Lotte and therefore getting a long lie by going out at 7.30 image I find anything over 10 a bit of a drudge as it impacts too much on my day. 

Must do some work.  Am procrastinating as a new summons has arrived in my emails and I need to deal with it but it's yucky so I am putting it off.  Maybe a wee coffee first.

• Options
    but good luck with the move Hoggle and hurry up Carobabs!
  • Options
    I'm another who wonders how people manage when they lose a child, its the most dreadful think I can think of now I have children.

Good luck with the move Hoggle - should think it will be great to finally settle down!

Caro - hope its not too long now and that you are getting nice and dilated.

We just went to see pigs. goats, chickens and donkeys at our local surestart - killed about an hour. Martha not on top form, must be a virus. She is refusing to walk anywhere and when I went in to her last night she was dripping with sweat. We are having too much tv but I think we feel better for getting out. Yesterday we did the butterflies at Wisley - my two do a whistle stop tour of everything! Bit frustrating.

For some reason hubby put the kitchen light on at 5.30am this morning so that woke everyone up, although Aidan was already stirring. I'm a bit blimming tired. I'm also getting a foul taste in my mouth every time I eat anything sugary - bummer.
  • Options
    Just passing through while both children sleep (woo too!).

Hope baby comes today Caro! Can't imagine how frustrating it must be, am now really glad I just went straight into established labour this time, (although first time I had 2 days of intermittent annoying contractions).

Can't even think about losing a child. I really struggle with the Save the Children adverts on telly at the moment, have to switch channels. JT- forget what a tough time you had with Archie (())

Kinsey- were the butterflies good? Do you think Maggie would like them? We are considering going but only if it is worth it as not cheap to get in. Boo to early start. We were all up at 5.30 but obviously its expected with a newborn!

Minks- don't get disheartened, how much can you really tell from training pace, so much comes down to how it goes on the day. Listen to your hubby, sounds like he knows you better than you do.

JohBo- thanks for thinking of me! Glad to hear S is starting to get better, keep forgetting theres only 8 weeks between our new babies. Rosie has actually had a couple of good nights, since we've been sleeping her on her front! I don't want to get too excited in case it doesn't last but she slept from midnight to 5.30 last night! I feel sooo rested today! Have found dealing with Maggie plus screaming baby so much easier, and think they have both behaved better, amazing the difference sleep can make!

right, time for some speed tidying up while both peace reigns. MIL coming this weekend-eek!

Good luck with the move hoggle!