Options

My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

Comments

• Options
    Oh forgot, quick question? Is the challenge to improve any 5K time or to improve the same 5K run that we put down. Ie, can I do my next one on the canal towpath? ;) Sooooooooo sick of the hills!
  • Options
    No worries Devonian Plodder, we all started somewhere!

KeltikMusk - great time- as long as you get your pacing right in a 10k that will easily convert to sub 60!
  • Options
    yeah sorry guys

if you want to join the password is..

elephant

all lower case (not sure if that matters though!)

think ill change the date on the challenge to give folks more time to join!

well done on ur run alyson! im off out tonight and aiming for 35 mins!!

i think its up to u if u want to do the same route, then i guess its more accurate for urself, but im quite happy for the challenge iv made up if people want to vary their routes.. does get a bit tedious if u dont!

oh and well done keltikmusk! straight to the top of the leaderboard! gives us all some inspiration im sure!!

S xx
  • Options
    ok i cant change the date on the challenge but we can do this one until tuesday and can always start another if it works!!

hope more of u can join!

Just put in ur PB from here then every time u go out and run it then stick in a new time!

cheers

x
  • Options
    Hi all

Got my number for my first 10k today, No 34, really hope there's a lot more entered after me. I was surprised how worried I suddenly became about the whole thing.

It also said as it's 2 laps people aiming for around 1hr could be lapped. Surely people don't run 10k quicker than 30mins do they?

Pam
  • Options
    Morning!

When is your 10k race Pam? The last one I did was two laps and I really thought I would be lapped. Although I wasn't, I could hear the winners being cheered over the line as I was just starting the second lap, so it was close! It also gave me a bit of encouragement to run faster!

Just remember that you're only racing yourself and however long it takes, there will still be plenty of people there to encourage you over the line at the last 200 metres.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi Crazy Daisy,

Run is on the 12 Aug two weeks and counting. What time did you finish in?

Pam
  • Options
    Pam - I completed mine in 61.08 - not quite the hour :( (but there's always next time - and I'll pick a really flat race for that one!!). Just checked the results sheet from that race and the winner completed it in 34.19!! Your 5k time looks good, so just go with the wind....knowing the race leader could lap you is a great incentive!!!
    Just do the best you can and enjoy it. :)
  • Options
    My first 10K is on September 16th so i've got plenty of traing time. It's a really flat course dnd I tend to run on fairly hilly terrain normally spo I'm hoping to feel the benefit.
    Any tips for runnign in warm weather -I went for a run today (4.1) miles adn improved my time usual time by about a minute (38 mins) but was completely knackered afterwards!
    I recenty bought a Nike dri vest thing and it seems to help. At te same time I bought some sort of energy boost thing from the running shop -think it waS called a honey stinger. Word to the wise - don't bother with this thing as it seems to be virtually pure honey which rater than give me a nice little boost actually made me wretch adn want to puke whick is hard to do on the move - lesson learned methinks!
  • Options
    I'm relatively new to 'proper' running and I'm doing a 10K at Hampton Court in September with two friends but would love to do sub-one hour.

I have just lost 5st and my biggest problem is getting the motivation to transfer from the treadmill to the road which I know I need to do soon.

The greatest distance I have run so far is 4km with no breaks. I did that in 20 mins.

Anyway I would really appreciate some advice about planning a schedule to cover all the bases...

mwjkeane@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Hi Folks

Thanks for setting up the Challenge Sazzler - great to come second (out of 2!) :O) The silver certificate was lovely though - I'm going to keep that!

Any chance of another 5km challenge for August? I need motivation/inspiration for my 10k in September. At the moment I seem to be going so slowly I may as well be going backwards.

Out tonight for my usual 5k circuit. I'll let you know how it goes.

How's the training going everyone?
  • Options
    hi !

glad u liked ur certificate! iv not looked at mine yet! the idea of the challenge is good but its hard to record how much you have taken off your PB.. might just be easier to record it on here!!

we can make a challenge for who can do the most miles in a month? or stick with the 5k improving one?

im thinking we might be alone on this one DP!!

• Options
    I hope you dont mind if I ad myself to the list I did the Edinburgh marathon last year
    Have not done no running ine I did 5 miles in about an hour the other day so have alot to work upto gain toget the 10k in under 60mins

Sazzler - F/24 - PB 76.16 - <60 Sept 07
    Albion - F/29 - PB 62.54 - <60 Aug 07
    Runtyler - M/33 - PB 52.30 - <60 Aug 07
    aaa - F/34 PB?? - <60 Aug 07
    Devonian Plodder - F/48 - PB 83.0 <60 Sept 07
    Crazy Daisy F/35 - PB 61.08 <60 Sept 07
    Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    RAGA34 - F/34 <60 summer 07
    Steviej - M/50 PB 66 - <60 ??
    Beth - F/25 - PB ?? - <60 Aug 07
    Matt Sutherland - M/32 - PB 52.27 - <50 Sep 07?
    Moomintrude - F/35 - PB?? - <60 Sep 07
    Clare - F/33 - PB 63.49 - <60 Sep 07
    Alyson - F/32 - PB 48.25 - <60 Sep 07
    Rachel - F/34 - PB 57.00 - <60 ??
    Keltikmusk - M/38 <60 Sep 07
    wrinkly - M/39 PB? <60 SEP 07
  • Options
    Hi everyone
    wish i had seen this thread sooner. i am new to running doing my first 10k on 12th August and hoping to get a sub 60. Only started training for this at the end of may and the quickest ive done so far is about 64mins. Not sure if i am going to manage the sub 60!!! will i be ok to join your gang??
  • Options
    morning all,

I have a 10k run tomorrow morning, it seemed like a good idea at the time. The training has gone pretty well, but my main aim is to get round and then the next one try for a better time.. Will report in on how it goes.

Good luck to you all for this weekend's training, at least it'll be sunny!

Clare
  • Options
    Extended my trail run by 200m to 5km (measured on mapmyrun and very twisty so probably a slightly crude measurement!) - Mostly woodland tracks, some hills and five gates/stiles - 23m 32s.
  • Options
    Good luck Clare with your 10k tomorrow, i dont envy you with the weather. i have my first 10k next sunday and thats one thing im hoping it not going to be (hot!!!) its one day this summer i dont mind if it rains.

Great time Matt, i ve just returned from a 5k this morning, struggled a bit with the heat but managed to do it in 32.42 and when i checked the distance on google earth it was 3.31 miles so that made me feel better.

im going to try a 10k over the weekend and that will be my last long run until the race next weekend, happy training everyone.
  • Options
    Hi All

Welcome Wrinkly and Jasp - wow Matt - great time - well done.

Clare - all the best for your 10k - fingers crossed for you!

I tried a 5k on Thursday but had to walk home due to an ongoing calf problem (ruptured the muscle skiing and still suffering!). Got an appointment to see the sports physio next week, till then I'm going to take it easy on the bike! Just have to do my 10k in September.

Sazzler - as we are all aiming for races in August/September/October maybe we should just keep posting in our progress. Once the races are over we can go for another challenge?
  • Options
    hi all

Jasp
    My first 10k is on the 12th too and I'm hoping for rain. It can't be the same one can it?? Darlington??

Did my 10k in training on tuesday night 58mins so was well happy. Just see how running with other people affects me cos only ever ran on my own.

Pam
  • Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    hello all - havent been on here for ages - thought Id pop in and say hi !

hows everyones running going ?

anyone done the <60 yet ??

my 10k is this sunday and really hoping for my sub 60 - will let you know how I get on !

how are you sazzler ?
  • Options
    aaa My 10k is Elloughton in East Yorkshire. Well done on your 58 mins im well jealous :-) Yes hopefully when im running with everyone else is should spare me on.

Sorry to read about your injury DP, take it easy.

How did your race go Clare?

Hope your race went well today Albion, hopefully where you are it was a bit cooler than it is here.

Im going to go out later and do my last 10k before next weeks race, just waiting for early evening before i head out.

Happy running everyone.
  • Options
    Hi guys

welcome Qrinkly and Jasp

Clare hope your race went well fill us in!

I've got my 10k booked for 2nd Sept but it's a very hilly one so there is no chance I will do it sub 60!

however I did a 5k the other night in 29.46 so I was very happy with that, not sure I'd be able to keep that speed up for an hour yet tho!

I did a 5 miler last night and used my new garmin 305 and was doing really well initially over the first 3 miles (did 9 min miles) then decided to run along the riverbank and the grass was so high I went down to 12 min miles and had to stop a couple of times aswell!!,

I am worried slightly about my heart rate tho as I ran the entire distance with my heart rate at 180 which according to the garmin software is 90% + my max (calssed as sprinting distance!!) I certainly wasn't sprinting so surely this can't be right?
  • Options
    It's been chucking it down all day today and fairly cool so I did a run of 6.7 miles. Huge fifference to running in stuffy warm weather adn I really felt great for most of the run - my 10K split was 57 mins so was really happy with that. I'm really hoping for awful weather on 16 Sep for my first 10K proper!
  • Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    hey guys !

did my 10k today - didnt get my <60 :(
    but got a new pb :)

it was sooo hot and even tho' it was on a pretty flat course it was on a racetrack in the middle of a field so there was no shade at all - and what with it being laps aswell .....

anyway I got 62.18, and was on target for a <60 until the final lap (3 laps) but the weather got to me - good run tho' and a pb aswell, so all in all a good day,

so your answer to the hot question Jasp is yes it was hot !!!!!!!!!

well done on your runs fatgirlslim and kelti

hope everyone elses races went well
  • Options
    Hi all,

I ran all the way round, result! Didn't get a PB, but it was very hot on Saturday, did 1 hr 6, so still a way to go to beat the 60 min deadline.. Am very chuffed that I kept going and did it. Congrats to Albion and all who did long runs.

Back to the training for the next one..

Clare
  • Options
    Hi All
    Well done Clare on your run, when its hot i think all you can do is keep going and try not to worry too much about the time. I think you did really well.

Well done Albion on your pb, it must have been hard going in the heat.

Keep it up Fatgirlslim, i use a HR monitor, im not too good with the % thing but i just go by how i feel when i run, i know that i can comfortably run at 170/175 and keep this up for a 10k run and still have some left at the end and when i check the % its says im running at 90/95% which im sure im not.

just been out this morning and i felt like l had a good run the weather was just right. i thought i had done the whole 10k in just under 59 mins but when i checked i had only done 5.9 miles!!!! oh well better luck next time
  • Options
    Hi All,

Congrats to Albion on getting a PB - excellent!
    To all those complaining of runnign in the heat -just be grateful you're getting a summer. I'm currently building an ark in my back garden and have developed gills!

Seriouly though - it's dull and cold again today and that's jsut perfect for me and running!
  • Options
    Hmmm - I'm starting to doubt how accurate my 5k measurement is!
    How do you all measure your courses?
    I used MapMyrun - Maybe I should remeasure on a 1:25000 OS map.

Anyway:

5k Challenge:
    Pam 29.35
    Crazy Daisy 31.20
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Clare - 35m
    Alyson - 37.25
    Sazzler 37.41
    Devonian Plodder - 41m 39s Goal - 35m by 31/08
    Beth - tba
    Rachel - tba
    Matt Sutherland - 23.34.
  • Options
    I normally run on roads so normally measure the distsance in my car first. Not sure how accurate this is but it's the best I can think of!
  • Options
    I'd need a pretty extreme 4WD to do the same and I'd seriously upset the local wildlife!

About 1km is road, the rest is fields, woodlands tracks and similar. Quite often have to do "cow dodging" in one of the larger fields!