Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    My first ever Park Run today - also my first ever timed 5k race. Considering the weather I was fairly satisfied with my effort of 26:32. Can't wait to try and beat it next weekend.
  • Options

Rest day image Que hyperactive and bored. Went into town ate a lot of cheesecake and drank a lot of coffee.

Like that helped. Hopefully do 7 miles tomorrow in the rain. Headphones are a bit dodgy though image Need to get a new pair.

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    First run in nearly 2 weeks. Shin still injured since a month ago. GP said it was probably a shin splint (basically went to the doctor and told him I had a pain in the shin, and he diagnosed a pain in the shin...) Anyway, seems unlikely to be a stress fracture. 2.65 miles around the block. Felt good to be out. Had to really concentrate to keep the pace down (kept my mouth shut and breathed through my nose). Shin really aches again now. It's getting really frustrating, but will do same distance every other day and see how things are in a week.
  • Options

10 miler (1hr 18mins) in the pouring rain with daft punk blaring on the ipod.  loved it.

• Options

Was going to do 7M but that turned into 11M. image I may regret that tomorrow as it's quite an increase in distance. Fingers crossed I might just get away with it.

JT141 - Shin splints are a bugger. And doctors aren't always that sympathetic. I know it's annoying, maybe try a little bit of stationary biking, strengthen your muscles a little. Try and run on grass for a while, like on a football or rugby pitch, helps me keep moving if I get any aches and pains.

• Options
    alib1975alib1975 ✭✭✭
    Just 7.5 miles for me today.  Had a kids party to go to at 9.30 this morning so didnt have time for more. 
  • Options
    Richmond deer park 10k today.

38.54 which is a new PB for me.

Nice course, flat and a nice run along the river.

Winner finished in around 30 mins!! A little way for me to go yet to keep up with those guys!!
  • Options
    alib1975alib1975 ✭✭✭

Well done Jamie!

• Options

Couldn't face running with the club this morning so had a lie in.  But the need to stretch my legs was too great and I wanted to get last week's race out of my system.  Sat in front of my laptop on the excellent www.bikehike.co.uk website and plotted myself a front door to front door loop using as many footpaths and bridelways as I could find to get me 10km.  The joy of living in a small town, countryside 1km from the front door.

I thought about what went worng last weekend, and what I'd struggled with over the pervious 20 weeks of learnign to run.  Tried some new gear out today. An NB compression top aka the fat mans sports bra image, a pair of compression calf guards.  Bottom line is I like riunning in long socks I guess. being a pig's bladder chaser by nature. I decided I needed to sort my hydration out as well so I invested in a Camelbak Delaney DC bottle belt.  and to curb the blisters a pair of 1000 mile dual layer socks.

10km  and 01:04:23, several styles, several soakings from shoers, one railway foorbridge, a very steep offroad muddy climb later and I'm happy as a sandboy.  So much so I went and did another 2km around the park before I got home.

That's better.

• Options

Hello people,

Lots of good running (and some struggling, obviously, unfortunately) going on here.

Commisserations to JT.

Performance of the weekend goes to Jamie with a smashing pb!

Me: 23.8M in 3:16:45. Happy with the effort, and happy with my refueling strategy (i.e. gels) and feel that I'm really stronger than when I undertook my May marathon. Bring on September.....

• Options
    Some excellent efforts by you all image It puts me to shame as I had planned a rest day yesterday.......but it has turned into a rest weekend image still back to the plan on Monday and will put extra effort in to make up for slacking off image
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Back-to-back HM distances this weekend, something I've not done in a while.  Moving OK this morning, surprising to relate image

Sat.: Yorkshire Wolds HM, 800 ft ascent, great scenery but obscured by torrential rain start to finish image 1:55

Sun. Northumberland Coastal Run, Beadnell to Alnmouth: mix of beach, rocks, trail & lanes in wonderfully unspoilt surroundings.  Ran with friend to her furthest distance ever: 13.2 miles on her Garmin but the distance depends on tides!

• Options

Hangover. No nothing today. image

Annoying as I barely drink, just so happens I've had two heavy nights close together.image

Back out for a 6M tomorrow relax before spending most of the day organising myself for getting to the airport. Packing is not my forte. *sigh*

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Cheers First Loser and Dutch for the sympathy. Another 2.65 mile door-to-door loop today. Ran it in the opposite direction which somehow seems to be all uphill, like an Escher painting.

No particular pain when running, but usual intense dull ache outside of the shin when finished. No better, but no worse. Please go away and let me run properly again.
  • Options

I completed my first 5K today, although it was on a treadmill. I managed 5.25 km in 35 minutes, so I'm still quite slow, but 5K has been something I've been working towards.

I know it's not as good as running outdoors, but I ran outdoors last week and found I couldn't keep a steady pace, and ended up having to walk quite a bit so I prefer the treadmill for now. I'm also having a bit of discomfort in my knee at the minute, but if I run on a treadmill with a knee support it doesn't bother me at all, while it gets quite uncomfortable while running on the pavement.

• Options
    Tonights effort 6 x 1km reps @ 4min pace with 2km warm up and another 2km to warm down.

That will teach me for slacking off over the weekend image
  • Options
    4.5M Off road as heavy legged. Nice day up here again.
  • Options
    took my friend out for her 1st ever 10 miler. she managed to maintain 10 min miles, about 1:20 a mile slower than me but it was nice to do a slow pace for a change, was really comfortable.
  • Options

8M from work to home, steady in 8m/M

• Options

6 miles of interval training and a short weights session. Slacking a little bit, hope to keep it up on holiday, plenty of walking I'm sure. 5 days with no running will feel awful, fingers crossed there's a decent set of treadmills in the hotel gym.

Tuzki - Certainly and effort to be proud of.

JT141 - Best keep an eye on it, don't want a stress facture making an appearance.

Over and out for the best part of a week! Keep up the training! You know it feels good even if it's hard work at the time!

• Options
    alib1975alib1975 ✭✭✭

Nearly 13 miles with the club in around 1 hr 53 minutes.  Quite a fast pace for me but I kept up.  The first 7 miles where a nice 9 min mile pace then the others were nearer 10K pace.  Anyway I feel good that it's done and that I dont have to go by myself later in the week.  Not sure how I will feel tomorrow though image

JT141, hope you are feeling better soon. 

• Options
    Gentle 6miler for me this morning (5am),very heavy legged!
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    4.1 miles around the Marina tonight - effects of the weekend are now minimal image
  • Options
    4 mile recovery last night after Sunday's 10k, 5 mile easy run tonight.

10 miler tomorrow.
  • Options

5.25M Steady mostly off road. Okay run done in the warm morning rain.

Metfan: Welcome and Well Done

JT: Careful.

• Options

This may not be the most earth shattering, but Im returning to running!!! Ran a mile this morning on a local cycle route followed by the gym. Enjoyed and could easily double the distance. I loved it! Thats what counts!

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, matt!  Welcome back!
  • Options

5.15km in 34 minutes.

Was a bit of a struggle today if I'm honest.

• Options
    10 mile easy run tonight. Miserable weather and actually quite cold.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Ran over to Crosby Beach to take some pics of Antony Gormley's 'Another Place' installation of one hundred life-size cast iron statues moulded on the sculptor himself.  I find them enigmatic and inspirational and sand is much easier on joints, bones & muscles than tedious tarmac or crunching concrete.image

Rant over.

5 miles & 15 pics image