My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    All better now - the extra rest day plus lots of vit C and echinacea seems to have worked.
    I managed 4 miles today but legs felt a bit heavy and my calves were horrible. I hope this is just a taper blip! It could be down to the hilly parkrun on Saturday, though - that thing was a killer. Note to self: avoid hilly parkruns the week before a marathon! (In my defence, though, it was a brand new parkrun so I had no idea of the profile.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Echoing the good luck thoughts above, good travelling for all of you also. 

Also feeling a bit jealous JD but also relieved I've not got several days of DOMS to look forward to.  What races do you have coming up yourself?

6 with my group yesterday evening (hilly) and another 6 this lunchtime (recovery + strides).  Two big magnolias were flowering outside the church yesterday evening, they will be wrecked by today's rain and tomorrow's snow.  Lovely light this lunchtime, fresh, bright green fields against an inky blue sky.  I could see the bad weather approaching and wasn't tempted by a longer run.
  • alipat1990alipat1990 ✭✭✭
    JD I'm running Manchester. Very much looking forward to getting it done now. I'm hoping the weather is nothing like today's. We've had heavy snow and hail in Leicester. On the drive home the A46 literally came to a standstill because the hail was so heavy. The dual carriageway basically became an ice rink. Thankfully the forecast for Sunday is looking a little more positive! 
  • Great news about your foot, alipat. Hope it continues to improve. Treat it well! Glad you got out for a run. I've been twitching all week in this final taper stage!

Glad your cold has not developed, Cal. Hat and gloves weather here again Hazelnut. It really can't make its mind up. I would rather it cool than warm for Sunday though, so no complaints.

4 miles at a nice easy jog to finish off my taper. Again, my mind wandered during the run and before I knew it I was at my front door. Have done the preliminary packing of my race bag. I know I will only check it 47 times between now and Sunday. Early nights all the way now and just need to buy some shiny new safety pins.

I run, therefore I am.
    Oh yes don't forget those Will, I had to beg for several mini sewing kits at my hotel for my spring mara last year.

10 slushy miles this afternoon, we had several centimetres of snow overnight and a few more during the day but rain on top has now produced a slimy mess. Should be gone by tomorrow. The storks looked a bit bedraggled, hope there were no nestlings yet. Usually don't survive those conditions 😕
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all of the racers.Looking forward to the the race reports.

Hazelnut - have the Tatton 10k next Sunday.

8 miles yesterday in awful weather,rain,sleet and snow.Hands were frozen glad to get back home.Did 4 x 800m @ 5k pace,glad to say my Achilles felt OK .
  • Just checking into wish everyone the very best of luck with their events, hope they go brilliantly.

Little to report with me, still chipping away with 3 runs a week, 5 or 6 miles normally. Off out to run an 8 now. My routes which were devoid of anyone other than me in the cold winter months are now busy with joggers!

Best of luck again
  • Cheers all for the good luck wishes.

I'm here to do the same. Good luck Marathoners! I hope it all goes well and you're able to enjoy the experience. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Have just carb-loaded enough fish n chips to fuel an army. Getting rather nervous now, but generally in a good way. Heading up north tomorrow. Have a great time in Vienna, Cal!

And, enjoy your running everyone else :)

Not long now!
    I run, therefore I am.
    Thanks everyone. And good luck to all of you that are competing. Should be a fun weekend!

Will, what starting pen are you in?

I'm also setting off for Manchester in the morning. Unfortunately I've been struck down with a cold at the eleventh hour. My wife has been ill all week and then she came down with a cold yesterday so I've basically been avoiding her as much as I can the last few days! But sometimes there is just no escaping! So I'm currently sat in bed sipping on a lemsip, hoping that things improve rapidly over the next 24 hours.
  • Oh no, alipat - dose up and rest. I'm sure you'll beat it. I'm in pen F (it's for slowies!) Which one are you in?
    I run, therefore I am.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all the runners this weekend.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone! Have glorious runs ☺ 
    I'm in pen H will, the ultra slowies Haha. I had no idea what sort of time I would be looking at when I signed up so popped my estimated finish time down as 5 hours. Really I'm going to be looking more for 4:15.
    Last minute good lucks from me too.  Hope you get a good night's sleep!

Bit trivial considering the races to be run by some tomorrow:

First hill race of the season for me yesterday - 8km with around 450m of ascent and the last km steep downhill in 47:50 just 6 seconds off of third place in my age category - grrr.  I felt strong throughout, starting towards the back - and was able to continuously work my way through the field, not being overtaken myself very often.  We were lucky with the conditions, it snowed quite heavily on Thursday but the tracks we were on were snow free by Friday evening - the steep down hill at the end had to be taken with caution though - being as it was on wet stony ground.  Good turnout from my Tuesday group - one full car plus others we know so lots of pre and post race chat.  
  • I'm going for 4:20 - 4:30 so may well bump into you! Have a great marathon!
    I run, therefore I am.
    That's a great effort Hazel. Must be frustrating to be so close to that top 3 age group finish though. Hill running is something I've never particularly dabbled with. I don't trust myself not to slip!

Our oaths may very well cross Will. All the best for tomorrow.

• Well, I loved that! I'm a marathoner! 4:19:09. Full report to follow. Hope this everyone else had a good one.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Well done Will ☺ 
    Fantastic Will, I tracked you as much as the tracker would let me and sat here with a big grin when I saw you had finished.  Have a good journey home!
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Well done,Will,fantastic effort,enjoy your post race dinner.

That's a great effort,Hazelnut,unlucky about not getting a age grade podium finish.You'll nail it next time.

Excellent work Will! Congrats!

I managed to get round in 4:17. Super chuffed with that for my debut marathon. 

The day began with a bit of unwelcome chaos. My wife managed to cram into a tram with our son and pushchair but myself and our friend did not manage to get onto the same tram. A steward suggested we hot footed it "5 minutes" down the road to another station. We did just that but unfortunately missed the next tram. We did eventually meet up with my wife again in Trafford but I really could have done without the stress!

As for the race, I started in Pen H (the last pen with the 5hour pacer) which meant I had a lot of overtaking to do over the early stages of the race. After battling my way through wave H I then caught up with groups from waves G, F and E. I passed the 4:45, 4:30 and 4:15 pacers over time.

Each of my first 16 miles were under 9min/mile pace. Unfortunately though at mile 18 my legs started to go and of course I hit the infamous wall around mile 20. After that my pace dropped off considerably but I was delighted with my time in the end. An amazing day all in all!

Great result alipat well done! How was/is the foot? 
    Thanks Hazel. The foot was surprisingly fine the whole way round. It was my knees that were my undoing today. My right one is a little swollen at the minute but I'm sure it's nothing a bit of ice and rest won't sort out. 
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Great runs Will and Alipat. Under your target range Will, you must be delighted. I’ve made a mental note to eat fish and chips before any long race, it clearly works!

Just got back from Istanbul and bumped into a woman from Texas on the plane who completes her set of marathons on each continent in Antartica next March. Something to aim for lol.
  • That's a great run and result, Alipat -  congratulations! Glad your foot held up and you survived the tram mayhem. I'm sure our paths crossed at some point. I ran most of the way with 'Madonna' :)

Fish + chips (mushy peas and pickled egg) is defo the perfect pre-meal, envr, and I will have to have it before all big races now! It's got everything you need :)

My first good move was rooming with my Dad on Saturday night, while Mum went in with my wife and kids. Much less stressful and I got a pretty good, though slightly nervy, kip. Then headed out early with Dad and we managed to meet the rest at the starting pens. Weather conditions were nice for the start - cool and cloudy. Despite good wee planning I inevitably was desperate for one by the time we shuffled down to the start line. I waited in the queues briefly before worrying that I was going to miss my start and so got back in the throng, still bursting! So, my classic start included a dash into the bushes after a mere 200 yards. It was all much more comfortable after that though. 

i got into a good early stride but had to keep reigning myself in as the occasion kept seeing me get ahead of my target pace. Lots of great support and banter from the locals and visitors. It was rather emotional in places - it's been quite a turnaround in lifestyle to get here - and it was the music in parts that tugged at my tear ducts (can't quite believe I welled up at 'Don't stop me now!') Some great Manc tracks.

Looking at my splits, I kept a really consistent pace between 9:45 and 9:55 for almost every mile. Funnily, mile 13 and mile 26 were my fastest by some way. From 17 to 22 was where most of the pain happened and, as they say, I learnt a lot about myself. Concentration was key, trying to keep my form tidy and my feet light, with short strides. I did a fair amount of talking to myself as well and made sure I took loads of high 5s from the kids lining the streets. People give you a huge lift.

20-22 was okay and then the pain really hit from 22-24. More shouting at myself and water over my head as things got warmer saw me through.

I think adrenalin took over from there and I actually did quite a bit of overtaking in the final 2 miles. You could see the finish line from a long way off and it seemed to take forever to reach. I did manage a pretty cool 'sprints' finish though and that was some feeling! I spotted all my family just over the line and joined them for hugs and lots of tears from me. That is definitely only my first marathon!  4:19:09. 

I run, therefore I am.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Lovely photo and well done again Will! 

And well done Alipat. 

Hope you both have a restful Monday. 

• Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited April 8
    Thanks, Daisydoo! A bit sore this morning....
    I run, therefore I am.
    Great report and photo Will. Lovely your family were able to join you.  Hope the (alcohol free?) beer tasted good (I recognize the brand...)

The tracker didn't give out much information on your splits just for 10k, half and 30k if I remember correctly.  I saw based on those that your were moving at a constant pace and was quite nervous for you for the last section if you would keep going like that.

The soreness might hit you harder tomorrow. 

Recover well and enjoy your achievement.
    Definitely feeling sore today, but i'm already eyeing up what my next race might be. My favourite pic from yesterday...

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Well done alipat,great result,I'm sure the sore legs are worth it.Hope your foot is ok.

Great race report Will,you're family must be really proud of you.I went out Saturday evening and bought fish and chips,no pickled egg though and then did 15 miles Sunday morning,I think you've started something now Will.