My Last Run

Comments

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great early run Cal,sets you up for the day.Been taking plenty of electrolytes,just need to start eating properly.Thought Liverpool was this weekend for some reason,anyway you'll be in good shape for the race.

Will,I'd definitely recommend a club,they're always very friendly and you'll pick up some good tips.I don't go to the training nights from one week to the other because of work commitments but they still make me feel welcome when I do turn up.

Looks like you're raring to go for Sunday,Hazelnut,hope that wind dies down.

Five very slow miles,I just had to go for a run though,felt better for it and it blew some cobwebs away.Going to get a run in today and tomorrow and see how I feel Sunday but definitely won't be going out with the 1:30 pacer!

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Wish I could do the early runs - should probably give myself a big kick up the arse to do so.    Seems like a plan JD. 

Four ploddy recovery miles for me yesterday afternoon - managed not to fight the wind for once but just accept the slower pace.  Wind should be dropping as of today and be ok for Sunday's race.  Forecast is for rain and around 11 degrees.  Should be ok for me.
  • Hi everyone! Glad everyone is enjoying their running and the spring! Some awesome results, and great running.

I haven't posted for a while; life has been so busy, but it's good to see everyone doing well.

My running was going well, although I'm very sore/ injured? At the moment.

I've just been chipping away with my standard 3 times a week running, usually 10k each. Although the distances are going up now on my planner , so I hope my ankles will cope ok.

My new shoes are very different. Having read about how low drop 4mm shoes can help knee and shin pain, I made the switch ( they are saucony iso 2) they are incredibly comfortable and have not rubbed anywhere, but definitely make me land more midfoot and my ankles are ( were) adjusting positively.

I live in Sandwich, and it is pancake flat, barely a slope, let alone a hill to train on. At the weekend I entered a 10k race 20mile away described as "undulating with challenging hills" it came as quite a shock!!

That said, I did ok, managing fractionally under 8 mm, and 49:30/ 62nd place.
    That said, using all those parts of the foot I'm not used to ( I found the downhill stretches just as bad) have left me damn sore but hopefully it's a small blip and won't effect my training plan.

Various interesting spots have been a flock of blue grey turkey things ( later found to be guinea fowl.)
    An old steam roller from days gone by, clearly someone's labour of love.
    An albino squirrel! I'm not sure how rare albinism is in squirrels?

I've made a list of 20 local events ( 10ks 10 miles, half marathons) so have plenty to plan for. I just hope my ankle is ok. Wow! running in the spring (normally somewhere nice) with like minded individuals is a joy after those dark jan- march winter evening miles, solo.

I want to run so much more often/further than my ankles can take and I realise now it's about enjoying the progression and not forcing the issue. Although i have 3 x milers under my belt now.

Enjoy your week and hope you're all fast and injury free!
  • * 3 x 10 milers that should say.
    Is there an edit function?
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Good runs all.

Will, good to see you getting properly back in the groove. I agree with everyone. I'm very sociable, but more worried about slowing people down. I've just joined a club, but haven't attended yet.
    JD1, I hope you've recovered. Absolute 'mare getting ill so close to the start of a big race.
    Cal, sounds like your recovery is really on track. Nice running.

Hazel, seems you are nicely prepped for the HM, hopefully the weather will be relatively mild and you can really get the time your training has deserved. Good luck and we're looking forward to hear how you'll do.

I ran another set of 10x400m, on average 3 seconds quicker than a few weeks ago, so I am pleased with that. Also managed a 30 mins slow and easy this morning.

Aiming to do a half decent Parkrun on Saturday
    Nice to see you drop back in LTT.  That is a great 10k time if it was undulating and you don't normally run hills.  Don't rush the progression to let your feet get used to the extra load.  Maybe it would be an idea to get to a physio and get some exercices for your ankles to strengthen them if you have ongoing issues?  There are probably plenty to be found on the internet but it is a good idea to get specific ones and to learn how to do them properly.

Thanks for the good luck enrvuk - I am as ready as I can be now.  Weather looks decent - not too much wind, potentially wet which doesn't bother me and not too warm.  Well done on your reps - tough little session that.  Have a good parkrun tomorrow.

Another recovery paced run yesterday afternoon in nice conditions (sunny but a cool wind).  6 miles and all of them done at an even pace on a looped route.  The grasshoppers were shrieking, the frogs croaking and to top it all a lone cuckoo was calling from the woods.  Could hardly hear the nearby road at all.  
    edited May 17
    Ah - forgot LTT: there is an edit button (available one hour after initial posting I think).  If you move the cursor to the top right of your post then it should show Options and if you select this "Edit"..
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Linton - well done. I don't like downhills either, once they get past a certain degree of steepness. They give me the heeby jeebys. They're also particularly rough on the quads and knees so they'll definitely give you DOMS if you're not used to them.

enrvuk - which parkrun are you going to? I'm going to check out Hanworth (a new one that will be on its third event tomorrow). Aside from anything, I've a decent chance of setting a VW50 course record, provided no faster vets turn up - it's currently over 26 minutes. :D

Good luck with your HM, Hazelnut - let's hope you keep those perfect conditions.

As for me, rest yesterday (yoga) and a 6 miler today. Legs felt good again (grumbling achilles aside) so I averaged 10:10 miles which is at the faster end of my easy range. Fingers crossed but I seem to be coming good for Liverpool - this is actually the best shape I've gone into that race as the first time I had high hamstring tendinopathy and last year it was shingles!
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    I am running Hackney Marshes I think (nice and flat), but might change my mind in the morning and do Pymmes. On the tourist thing, Hackney would be my eighth. I looked up Hanworth, but by car or public transport it's a real effort from here. I'm sure we'll get to it eventually though. Good luck with your course record for age attempt! 
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited May 18
    Good to hear you are feeling good and running well ready for Liverpool, Cal. You certainly work hard enough at it.

All the best for your HM, Hazel. I'm sure you'll be on for another good finish.

Have a good Parkrun enrvuk. Hackney Marshes always sounds iconic to me. I must get along to a London Parkrun myself next time I'm visiting the Outlaws. Mrs Will has taken the Parkrun plunge today, with my Dad, which I'm really pleased about. She's been threatening to for a while and I think she'll get a lot out of it.

Good to see you getting plenty of miles done Linton.

I'm still struggling with getting my running into some form of regularity . Partly been busy at work and partly just have a flat patch I think. Energy levels are quite low and my head has been in a funny place for a bit. I did a 5K worth of hill reps on Wednesday but nothing since then. Heading out today for a medium length run and just trying to enjoy it without putting pressure on myself. I didn't get to the running club this week, but will aim to give it a go next week. Like you all say, I'm sure I will enjoy it once I actually get myself there.

Happy running all!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I hope so, Will! Give me a shout if you hit a London run. I've not done Hackney yet so that would be a good one! (I still intend to come to Westmill at some point).

Today was Hanworth, which was on its third event. Nice flat course but a mix of trail, grass and path, some of which was a bit bumpy (grass was quite long in one area, so not the easiest thing to run through in my Zoom Flys!)

I set out fast (7:45 opening mile) but it was rather humid so I slowed down quite a bit - last mile was 8:19. I came in at 25:11 so a decent time but a way outside my best. But it was good enough for 6th lady and an age cat 1st. Which makes me the VW50 course record holder! (At least until next week... :D)
    That's a good effort, Cal. Congratulations on being the new record holder! It is humid today. I really noticed that on my run. Must be some pollen about too as I was a bit wheezy in places with an annoying little cough.

I took one of my usual routes and did a double loop of the Marsh. A pair of Terns diving, dodged the ponies and just dodged a big hairy dog. Loads of wild flowers in bloom and smelling fragrant. I did enjoy the run but it did take some effort, even at an easy pace of 9:40. I think I've just lost some base fitness so need to get back to running consistently. The new plan is to aim for 25 miles a week for the next few weeks and do a few longer runs as part of that. We'll see.

Mrs Will did her Parkrun with my Dad, which made me proud. It's a big thing for her. Junior Parkrun tomorrow will be my son's 47th - nearly at the Ultra wristband magic 50!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great 10k,Linton,especially if it wasn't flat as a pancake.Good luck with your future races.

Hazelnut,good luck with your HM,sure you'll do well.

10x400 is a very tough session,envruk,well done.

Great parkrun,Cal,and bagging a VW50 course record!

Really easy to lose some of your base fitness,Will,if not running consistently.Hope you get your running mojo back. 

I've ran 8 and 5 miles over the last couple of days,both runs were very easy pace but my quads are feeling sore,not sure why though.Feeling tired and lethargic today and not really looking forward to Chester.See what tomorrow brings .

Good luck for Chester JD! Maybe go into it without any pressure to do a good time and then you might surprise yourself. Hope you have good conditions.

Well done to family C. for the parkrun turnout.  Seems you have a good plan for the next couple of weeks Will.  Keep looking around you to enjoy your runs.

Well done on the age category record Cal.  I find long grass a pain to run in, really drags at your feet.

Hope you had a good parkrun enrvuk.

Humid here as well today which was a bit of a shock to the lungs.  4 miles recovery with a few strides scattered in.  OH came with me to test his new shoes (Brooks Levitate) and seemed happy with them.  We will see if he uses them a bit. 

BTW. I read on fetch that swittle has had to stop his latest streak due to knee problems.  1232 days and 5355 miles!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hope you got on well today, JD.
    Will, nice you've got the whole family parkrunning with you.
    Too bad about swittle's knee. I do think streaks are a bit foolish, really, but each to their own. I need my rest days.

I think I should have taken one today. The football twats next door obviously had a bunch of mates over to watch the FA Cup and there was a lot of yobbish shouting which went on long after the match had ended. I decided I may as well watch Eurovision since I wasn't going to be able to get an early night, so went to bed at midnight and then still woke early feeling groggy. I ended up not going out until 11 and it was really sticky out there. I was supposed to do 10 miles but felt done after 4. I pushed on to 6 miles so I could get a round 30 miles for the week, but achilles was unhappy. Ugh. One week until Liverpool.
    Doubt you will have suffered any training loss from not running further Cal, maybe just a bit of peace of mind for having run the planned distance.  Sticky isn't nice.  Hope that clears off by next weekend for you.  Boo to the noisy football fans they should have gone to a pub.

Hope JD went well today.

2 min 2 second HM PB for me today. 1:36:57.  I was 18th lady of 363 and 5th in my age cat. so a very pleasing result.  The course was harder than I was expecting, mostly run on pavements rather than closed roads (down kerb, up curb and so much pavement furniture).  Quite a lot of twists and turns as well making it hard to get into a good rhythm, one flight of stairs and a short steep grassy bank on top.  I had checked the route map as always but hadn't noticed such details.  I also set off a bit too fast and suffered by around 10 miles, legs were pretty gone by 11.  Conditions were ok, cloudy and not too warm with a light breeze, but pretty humid. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Don't know what is worse,Cal,football twats or Eurovision.You did the  right thing cutting the run short if feeling groggy.Won't make a difference for Liverpool,you're in great shape.

Wow,fantastic PB,Hazelnut,that's a massive time difference,might have been even greater if not for twists and turns.Bet you're really happy with the result.Well done.

I had perfect running conditions yesterday.I finished with a time of 1:37:06.I finished 420/5273,MV45 51/490.I felt ok when the gun went off,but after 4 miles I could feel myself tiring.By mile 9 I was struggling and just wanted to finish.I think the last mile I was running just under 9m/m.I got over the finishing line eventually which is the main thing.

With all things considering I'm happy with the result.

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Sorry,finished 426/5273.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    edited May 20
    Will, it sounds like there is only so much running mojo in your family and you're not the one in possession of it right now! Great to see the rest of the family catching the bug. Mrs RV, has done a couple, but only at a fast walk. She hates running. 

Cal, apologies for my fellow footy fans, we're the nicest people until there is a game. Honest. At least there is no game going on before your big race! Hopefully the achilles calms down during this week.

Hazel, fabulous PR! That is pretty amazing, especially as the course had a bit of the obstacle course to it. You must be pretty chuffed. Really good category results as well. Checking the map can only get you so much knowledge and it's always good to know you could have gone a little faster in more favourable conditions. Well done.

JD1, that sounds like a good time to me and sometimes the keeping it together feels like a real achievement. 

Happy recovery/prep to the three of you.

I ended up at Pymmes again as I read that parking might be tricky at Hackney due to the set up for the half. I think I went out a bit too slow and left myself too much to make up. Having said that I had nothing left when I crossed the line (crumped on the floor), so who knows? Time was a 24 sec PB at 25:25, but would have liked to have broken 25m :-( Had a nice trip to visit and stay with a friend in Wye in Kent that cheered me up. Lovely little village and lots of birds that I didn't recognise.

I'm switching to a plan based on the 80/20 book now aiming at a good 10k, then Bournemouth half in October. I realise that the intensity of my running is all over the place. Did my first run this morning, keeping myself in HR Zone 2. For the first time I actually maintained a slow pace! 
  • Amazing half marathons  JD and Hazlenut! They are fantastic times! I make them around roughly 7:40 ish miles on average. Epic!

What is a sensible time to aim for in your first hm? 2:00? 2:10?

8 miles for me last night at just over 9mm. feel surprisingly ok today. I have become too reliant on my runkeeper app telling me time/distance/minute miles every 3 minutes. Last night it went haywire and I kept stopping to search for satellites. Drove me mad. Maybe just my watch next time.

Has anyone tried running with a metronome? An interested in the 180 steps being the "ultimate" cadence.

There's a 10 mile very hilly, challenging race this weekend and I can't decide whether to do it or not. The times look bloody fast too.hmm

Shame about the football twats cal. More people in this country need to play, rather than watch others play, but that's a different subject.

Have a happy day.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the PB, Hazelnut - fantastic job! A lot of the halves I do are on pavements so I'm quite used to that, although it's not so easy when they're uneven. I think the worst was actually the Cabbage Patch 10 which went along pavements that were very humpy due to there being tree roots under them.

enrvuk - I really liked Pymmes. The mayor actually ran it when I was there (I think she was one of the slower ones!) I might have broken my PB if it was a bit less windy coming into the finish - I lost quite a few seconds during the .1.
    Not worried about the footy blokes next weekend since I'm staying up in Manchester with my mate. But that has its own noise problems - hopefully the local drug addicts won't break into the hallway and shoot up on the stairs, which has been an issue on occassion (I'm not actually joking about that).

Linton, I wouldn't worry too much about cadence during training. I am generally in the 170s for training runs but hit 180 or more when I race (although I was only 176 at Gatwick which may be down to the change of shoes).

I did a reasonably pleasant 8 miler today. Achilles was still grumbling but not as badly as on Sunday. I'm hoping it cools down a bit for the weekend (the achilles and the weather!) but I think Liverpool will still be a bit warm for me. Currently it's showing that it'll hit 16, which isn't awful but that last stretch along the Mersey has no shade. It has felt pretty hot there in previous years.
    Well done JD a good time for you also!

Nice parkrun enrvuk.  Seems you have a plan for working towards your half.  Getting the intensity right is a good thing.  I run by pace rather than by HR as my optical HR seems quite erratic at times.  Should maybe get a proper sensor but I don't like them much.

LTT, the easiest way to work out a potential HM time is to use a race calculator and feed it with a (recent) race time for a 5k/10k.  If not available then the time from a hard training run over the latter distance. That gives an idea.  For a cautious approach add a few mins on top.  I wouldn't worry about cadence either. I run somewhere in the 165 to 175 area depending on the run.  Why not give the 10 miler a go? Have a good look at the profile if it is hilly and fit your effort rather than pace to it.

Drug addicts sound dodgy Cal.  Fingers crossed regarding the weather for Liverpool.

4 recovery miles yesterday evening.  Legs ok though left outside ankle a bit sore, didn't roll it recently so not sure why.  Now preparing to go on hols tomorrow (Corsica)
    Group run yesterday evening (needed to get away from packing).  Nice chat about this and that.  Legs felt good for 2 days post HM. Lovely evening. Around 6.5 miles.
    In awe of your HM time, Hazelnut! 

Hoping Liverpool prep continues to go well for you, Cal.

Good advice re race calculator and checking the race profile. My first HM had several big hills, which I hadn't expected, and it was very unseasonably hot on the day. So, it probably will give you a few surprises whatever happens LTT.

Mr Black Dog has been yapping at my heels and now has bitten me firmly on the ass, so I continue to struggle with my motivation, not just for running. I did manage to lace up for 5K but it really was like wading through treacle. It is unbelievable how much the mental can affect the physical. I've never had so much difficulty getting through 5K, and just a short time after blazing a marathon in Manchester. I have strategies and know running is one of the best medicines so I will carry on and bounce back, hopefully soon.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Will it's a tough thing to go through. I suffered with depression during my late teens and early 20s (I had a pretty bad mid-20s crisis and was in very dark place for a while) but exercise got me through it. Fortunately I'm on a pretty even keel now. One thing I did was stop listening to depressing music or watching heavy or harrowing movies. I also made a point of always giving myself something to look forward to, even if it was just something small. Every little helps.

6 miles with 2 at MP today. Saw a fox - they're a bit less frequent now that the mornings are light.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Hi Linton, nice running, sooner you than me on the hilly 10 miler!

Cal, really glad to see you managed to come out of that dark phase with some ways of dealing with it. I also find exercise very uplifting. Are you feeling tip top for the weekend? I assume you have sunscreen and a cap in your kitbag!

Will, sorry to hear you're suffering. I was listening to Tina Muir's podcast and it covered post-goal blues. It did talk about the importance of the next goal. Of course, everyone is an individual. 

Hazel, pretty decent recovery run, good to see you enjoying it.

I've run a couple more 80/20 sessions, a foundation and a tempo session. The HR based training is working for me, I can finally run at the right effort the plan suggests! Early days, but initial signs are good.

Happy running everybody.
  • alipat1990alipat1990 ✭✭✭
    Hi all, it has been a while! Thought I'd drop in and update you all on my injury situation. It is now approaching 2 weeks since my last run and my knee is still giving me bother. The physio told me to ease off the running and suggested a few gentle exercises to try and help. The knee improved over the course of the first week but since then things don't particularly seem to have improved. 

With Derby now just two and a half weeks away I am having serious doubts as to whether I will be able to run it. I think the sub 1:45 dream is definitely shot at the very least. I'm trying to remain patient but boy is it frustrating not being able to get out there.

Well done on the HMs Hazel and JD. They are excellent times. You should both be super proud. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    alipat - I hope you can get out soon. Do you know what the issue is?

enrvuk - forecast is actually rain, though that might change. I'd welcome a bit of rain, actually - it'll keep me cool.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your holiday,Hazelnut.

Hope you're feeling better soon Will.Like you said running is a very good medicine.

Glad the HR training is going well,envruk.There's a few guys from the running club who swear by it.Also a good indicator it your going to come down with an illness.

Sorry hear about your knee,alipat,you're doing the right thing and resting it.

Are you looking forward to Liverpool,Cal?

Went to club intervals last night,6 x 600,supposed to be at 5k pace of less but I was really struggling,feeling very lethargic,not too sure what is wrong with me.Have a hill race Sunday but I can't see myself running it at the moment.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Have a good one, Hazelnut!

JD, yeah I think so.
    Perhaps you are coming down with something yourself?
    I felt rough when I woke up today - really groggy and tired with a stuffy nose so I was worried I might be poorly myself. However I suspect it's down to poor air quality and heat. My run actually went quite well - 5 miles with a few strides in the last half mile.
    I'll be traveling up tomorrow so this is my last run before the race.