Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Update: park run in 20.47. No problems from the hammy and 24th out of 422. Age grade of 82.20% was the 4th best, but put well into the shade by a VM 75 with 90%+. Respect!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yes John. Did 6 easy yesterday and then parkrun (with 1 mile warm-up) today. A parkrun friend offered me a lift part-way to Black Park (I had to tube it out to meet her). It's a big country park near Langley (near Slough) but one of those that's a massive pain without a car. There were a lot of parkrun tourists there as it was event 610 and many were using one of the parkrun challenge apps that has a fibonacci challenge (I just use the Chrome extension which doesn't, but Black Park was my NENDY...nearest event not done yet...so wanted to do it anyway).
    Anyway, while I didn't take it easy as such, I didn't gun it either as I've Dorking 10 tomorrow. 29:07...actually finished in the top half, so that's OK.
    Also my last parkrun as a V50!
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Cal, oh no! I'm just back from the Dorking 10. I decided to do it last night, so didn't see your post.
    I did the softies version, the 10k.
    Sorry to have missed you. Indeed I might even have overtaken you as the way the two events were configured involved a lot of overlap and I went past a number of 10 milers who were still doing decent times after the staggered start.
    What did you make of the course? I thought it was harder than I'd expected. Undulating to the point of hilly and very hot.
    I did 44.37 and was pleased with that. It got me 13th place, but I  realise the stronger runners were in the 10 mile. I hung around to see if I'd get an age group prize (a lot of hanging around, so it would have been good to have a chat!) and I got a silver medal in the 60-69 category.
    It was a very clubby event, so I'm guessing you were with your pals?
    Look forward to reading your race report...   

PS what a lovely (posh) village
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done John, that's a good result. I had an absolute stinker. Went off at what I thought was a sensible pace (9:45ish...that's 4:15 marathon pace...not too hard) but I couldn't maintain it. Miles 5 and 6 were 10 minute pace and then it went downhill from there. By the end I had to walk the uphills as I could feel my HR getting high. (Only used the watch as the strap caused chafing last time, which is still healing, but it hit 199 max, according to that!) Came in around 1:42 I think...the chip timings seem to stop at 1:35 so I don't have the official time yet. 
    It was well organised but I felt pretty miserable on the second lap. I realise I've done a few races in the last couple of weeks, haven't slept well either, so body is just telling me to back off. Still, this is a personal worst by a lot.
  • Options
    New to the forum, hi everyone. Did a 10 miler this morning, just testing out some new shoes. Loved em😂
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    What shoes did you get, BBB?

• Options
     Cal, what a miserable experience! A few observations.

1. Overdoing it. Me, possibly; you definitely.

2. Walking. You certainly weren't the only one. I was quite surprised at how many of the 10 miles were walking. It was a hard course as it was constantly up and down.

3. There's a good chance that had I been doing the 10 miles, I'd have been one of them.

4. That HR! I'm not sure anyone could sustain that?

With temperatures of 30 plus  forecasted for next weekend, I'd advise a rethink of any planned activities.

Take care.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'll be escaping to Manchester next weekend - will be a little cooler up there, thankfully.
  • Options
    > @"Cal Jones" said:
    > What shoes did you get, BBB?

I went with the latest Brookes adrenaline, had a previous version but didn’t get along with the laces.
  • Options
    > @"Cal Jones" said:
    > Well done John, that's a good result. I had an absolute stinker. Went off at what I thought was a sensible pace (9:45ish...that's 4:15 marathon pace...not too hard) but I couldn't maintain it. Miles 5 and 6 were 10 minute pace and then it went downhill from there. By the end I had to walk the uphills as I could feel my HR getting high. (Only used the watch as the strap caused chafing last time, which is still healing, but it hit 199 max, according to that!) Came in around 1:42 I think...the chip timings seem to stop at 1:35 so I don't have the official time yet. 
    > It was well organised but I felt pretty miserable on the second lap. I realise I've done a few races in the last couple of weeks, haven't slept well either, so body is just telling me to back off. Still, this is a personal worst by a lot.

Ouch 😓. Hot days are a killer.
  • Options
    dangeroushamsterdangeroushamster ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Glad to here the hammy is not grumbling John ! Most jealous of your PR times...

Cal you have done a lot of running recently either through training and racing. Maybe a 3/4 days off would be a good thing just to allow everything to heal itself and recover. It's hard though once your in the habit...

Had my enforced 'break' and probably need a week to recover but I'll stick with some easy long running this week to kick off next training block.

Still managed to get to a Parkrun in CONKERS which is a great park and follows a train line for the most part. I thought it was small in area people gathered until they led us through to the start area where people where queuing down a narrow path with timed markers and everything. 400+ at the event. 

Undulating little sucker with a hill nicknamed cheeky hill, which was indeed very cheeky. Went relatively easy after 3 days of 'hard going' but was great to finally feel like a proper tourist  :D

Weather is indeed looking very hot for this week ! 

The CONKERs queue...

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's a big old queue, DH! I was at Black Park on Saturday which was full of tourists who were there for a fibonacci number (event 610) and they actually have a PA set up on the path so everyone can hear the RD.
    BishBashBosh - you're not wrong (and being post-menopause, my body has rather lost the ability to regulate heat well).

Went out for a sluggish 5 miles today...not much to add, really. I am glad I'll be off to Manchester this weekend (it's my birthday Friday, so going up there to see my best mate). It'll only be high 20s there, rather than 30s in London.
  • Options
    DH, nice bit of PR tourism. Not too keen on queues at the start though.

Cal, hope you have a great time/birthday in Manchester. The weather should be less fierce.

I had a little bit of good news. I checked the results from the weekend 10k and they've been amended: instead of a 2nd place I got a first.

I have to say that in the last 3 events that I've entered there have been problems with each of the results. In contrast I can only recall 2 times in my 230 Parkruns where the results have been dodgy, and they were both fixed within the hour.

Felt a bit whoosy today as in addition to 2 full on races over the weekend I cycled up a brute of a hill yesterday. My heart rate must have been scary.

I've got 2 x 5ks planned for this weekend, so will take it easy this week.
  • Options
    Yeah finally felt like a tourist ! I maneuvered myself to the front so got away well...

I've never had any issues with any event I've done touch wood

Only a small run yesterday, planned longer but was restricted as wife going out. Slower than usual, maybe last week recovery or maybe heat. Also feel like I have a  cold coming along, bloody child :( 

John, Well done on 1st place that is a grand achievement 

Cal enjoy Manchester take it easy ! 
  • Options
    DH, oh no, not the dreaded summer cold! Hope it's not a bad one. What event are you currently training for?

8k in 38.14 today. The heat is gradually building down here, although there was a breeze coming off the sea. There were definitely fewer runners than usual on the prom, and I think the heat had something to do with it.

Off to the allotment this afternoon to give it the first watering for some time.

Ivr got 2x 5k races this weekend, so I think today's run will be my last until Saturday. My legs are asking me for a rest!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's a result, John! It's getting hot here too. Almost 26 degrees in my room...unfortunately it gets hottest just when I want to go to bed. I hate summer.

DH, when I taught primary PE, I was sick all the time. Kids are little germ factories.

Another 5 today but threw in some faster stuff to try and get myself used to it again.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Up early for 8 miles this morning...already getting rather warm so I was getting thirsty by the end. Nice run though.

• Options
    Cal, clearly you have pretty good resilience, physical and mental.
    Are you running any events up north?
    I'm sure there'll be a new parkrun waiting for you.

Looks like being hot for my Saturday 5k and possibly wet for the Sunday one, which is also hilly.

I think I now which one will be faster......
  • Options
    Managed to squeeze out a 10k yesterday. Tried to keep it very easy but with summer man cold it was nearly impossible to keep HR down, plus the heat... Either way 9k+6x strides pushed out but I'm having today off... 

I'd prefer a wet 5k John...
  • Options
    DH, the Welsh love a bit of rain! BTW very sad to hear of the death of the great Phil Bennett. A bit before your time perhaps but what a player. A true great and lovely chap too.

Joking aside the heat got to me today and Mrs JB too. I went off like a train at 4.01 for the first km and then faded (or wilted!) and ran each successive km slower than the previous one. Finished with 20.50 which was fine but took a lot out of me, and with a hilly 5k coming up tomorrow.... .. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Not surprised, John...my HR got up to 199 during the Dorking 10 last Sunday...Had to walk a few times. 

Up in Manchester (birthday was yesterday)...glad as I didn't want to spend yesterday evening in my flat with it being over 30 degrees.
    Anyway, got my friend to drive me over to Watergrove (near Rochdale) for parkrun. It's apparently the fourth hardest in the country, and now I know why. It's a hilly one with some steep bits, but the toughness comes from the surface - gravelly rocky trail at best, but also stretches of cobbles. Oof! Beautiful though. I was just under 32 minutes which I don't think was too bad under the circumstances. 10th lady but only fourth in my new AG...apparently the North is full of gnarly fell running vets.
  • Options
    Cal, happy birthday from one southern softy to another.
  • Options
    Another day, another 5k although something of a contrast with yesterdays smooth, flat and fast course. Today's was in the heart of the South Downs and stunning if very hard. Plus the organisers decided to add an extra .65k to the course which added 3 minutes to my time for 5k.
    There as also a 10k which was tackled by the better runners. Despite a bit of a calf strain sustained when running on a badly rutted surface, I think I managed to beat the oldies....  if not all the juniors!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice one John. Bit mean of them to give you extra to run, eh?
    6 miles yesterday morning, along the Curry Mile to Platt's Fields and back.
  • Options
    Cal, I must be a very shallow person as I checked the times of my age cat rivals in the years when the course was 5k and found that my time, even with the 'extra' 3 minutes, was the course record.
    This almost makes the pain in my knees worth it.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I never got to see Phil Bennett play John but you ask anyone who has he is considered once of the Welsh greats for sure...

Happy belated birthday Cal ! 

Missed Parkrun this weekend due to having child. Not normally an issue so can't complain. This weekend will be the 25th milestone though...

Summer man cold much better although lingering on the chest. Managed a very slow 10k yesterday which was half trail up at my folks place. Nice to run somewhere different for a change but damn it's hilly in them there valleys... 

Going to attempt a 12/13k later on and plan a track session Wednesday. Reading for work tomorrow so unlikely to have time to run, maybe a simple dreadmill session dependent on time I get back

• Options
    DH, just reread your post and at one point I thought you'd given birth!
    On the inclines of the valleys, I remember when I used to visit my mum just south of Ebbw Vale, if I had a run it would always be along the floor of the valley, never the sides!
    Nice photo.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I read it that way too, John. :lol:
    Lovely countryside, though.

I had a 6 mile plod yesterday - felt sluggish and wheezy (the latter was probably not helped by having spent the weekend with a smoker). Woke up early today and went out around 5:20am for a 10 miler. Started a bit wheezy for that too but threw in some hills and faster bits which seemed to give my lungs a good clear out and I felt better by the end of it. The downside was grumpy achilles and hamstring...both had been OK at the weekend. I'll have to keep an eye on 'em.
  • Options
    Cal, good to get through that run. You manage your injuries well to keep then at 'niggle' status. I on the other hand........

...had to pull up 7k into an 8k run today. The calf was playing up and I think it might mean a few days total rest and the foam roller. Oh well....

Went to a local athletics meeting last night, just to watch of course. Really good standard, but the best thing was the sheer number of junior athletes e.g. 10 heats of the 800m and virtually all youngsters.

Really gave me grounds for optimism on the future of the sport.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Haha ! I guess it does read that way but alas it was merely just looking after the little tyke...

Managed another easy 10k the other day and compared it to an identical run the previous year. Over 5 mins quicker at 5.30m/km instead of 6m/km identical HR and Strava saying even that was an easier run. Overall can't be too displeased with that. I remember the days of trying to get sub 55m for a 10k and now it's an easy run, mind blown. Wonder what next year will bring...

Track session tonight which is going to be really hard in this heat but strangely I really look forward to these ! 

Edit: Been on screen and missed you comment John. Same with the club here, so many youngsters. Also better to rest that calf that push it...