Options

Brighton Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    Karl Now I know ... your secrets safe with me image
  • Options

Good, TB I'm relying on you !

• Options

I am in! First Marathon. Most I have ever run is 5 miles (twice now). Have got my first 10k in 3 weeks.

Have I got carried away? It should be possible to prepare in 10 months shouldn't it? 

• Options

CS - well done !

10 months is plenty of time. Get yourself a decent raining plan (try and stick to it the best you can) and build up slowly. There are no quick fixes when it comes to marathon training. The hardest part is surviving the training and getting to the start line in one piece.

The rest is easy.....image

Good Luck.

• Options

Thanks Karl

The web is full of training schedules. I am going to trawl through them and see where that takes me.

Also plucking up courage to join a local running club.

Intersting times ahead image

CS

• Options

Well done CS

You've entered at a great time image What you could do is follow a half mara training plan, then pick up to the mara.. although Karl may advise differently.

I have done half maras (not all that well) and following a 3 runs a week plan starting this week. After that will be the Mara plan.

Morning Karl image You need to speak to gmike image

• Options

Hi Tracy

I haven't worked out the plan yet but I would like to do a few 10k's and then a half marathon by Christmas... (hopefully image)

I think I am at the stage where my new found enthusiasm for running may get me into injury territory, so I need to keep to keep calm...

CS

• Options

Morning TracyB, hope all is well ?  (how was the hot date ?)

Half Mara Sch to Christmas sounds a good starting point, without looking into the detail too much.
    CS, keep calm. Remember the most important session in your training plan is the one that says REST.

• Options

Hey Karl.. hot as expected image thank you for asking. All's very well.. RW half mara training schedule had me outside at 6.30am doing 2m at 11:00m/m pace image Was okay as just recovering from bad back again...  How's with you?

CS they always emphasise the rest image but that's cos they are serious competitive runners that probably rarely rest image I'm following RW half mara plan for two halves in two weeks end Sept begin Oct for my one charity fundraiser this year. Even though I've done them before, the schedule will help me be more 'steady' - although not speedy! Need 'Wheelies' for that image Check out the RW Half Mara schedule if you can - it's simple to follow, then you can build in your 10k races or 10mile runs at the right point.

Ooooohhhh ... look at me being a PT image

• Options

I have seen many an "average" runner in our club get injured because they don't rest on the rest days, so it's not just for you speedies Tracy !

• Options

I totally agree with the resting Karl... don't you shout at me image I think you'll find I was talking about speedy runners rarely resting but advising others to.....

'The recovery is as important as the training' to quote a friend image

It is really important CS.. It's not easy to do once you get into the running bug (at any level) - swimming is great for the rest days if you find you get itchy to do something and takes great pressure off of running legs.

Karl do you do any work? image

• Options

Thanks for the advice. I will be doing my best to schedule as much recovery time as possible.  I am swimming a bit as well, which I find really good for tired legs.

I think I will start the half marathon schedule after the Rye 10k (24th July).

Sorry to be dumb, what is a PT?

• Options

well done TracyB, well said (wasn't shouting honest)

• Options
    PT = "pretty temptress"
  • Options

I'm still a learner after 1.5  yrs of running image

Apology accepted Karl

PT = Personal Trainer image - I have one too....

although I prefer Karl's explanation image

• Options
    TracyB, do you do any work ?
  • Options

It's more fun causing mischief on here image but yeh, I have a high-powered job in London image

Anyway.. I asked first ...

• Options

Work? Whats the point of that image

Glad to see the Brighton Mara thread is getting lively.

Isn't it hard work trying to run in this heatwave. I'm on a night shift this week, so only get to go for a run when I get up late morning. Went out at 11am, for 4 miles, and just about made it!

• Options

Hi Pete. Absolutely no point... or can't we live on running alone? image Is it cooler before you go to work? Just a thought..

Karl guess we are quits on both knowing a secret now image was having fun, so hope you didn't mind -  he is always prepared to clear up any mess my mischief may bring - you can have tomorrow afternoon off from me as I'm out and not near a PC.

Have a good day all.. Happy Training image

• Options

Hi Tracy, well I start at 6pm, so its just as hot then at the moment.

Though its lovely at 2am when I finish!

Just dark................image

• Options
    Pete I have it! Even on night shift you must get a 'lunch break'. 9.30-10pm! Perfect time! image
  • Options

TB, thought you weren't gonna bother us today ?

• Options
    gmikegmike ✭✭✭
    Pete - used to do all my runs at 1am after nights ... wasn't until my first 10k I actually ran in daylight image Lovely time of the day to run in the summer .. had some strange looks from the local constabulary though .. looking for the swag bag I spose image

Mornin TracyB, Mornin Karl ... how's everybody doing today then?

Woohoo It's Friday image
  • Options
    I've just signed up for the Brighton Marathon next year but anybody have any idea as to why it's so expensive? Most expensive race I have come across.
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    ask the organisers??

I suspect partly that they are milking the VLM fallout as people who are desperate to get a VLM place are using this as an insurance policy so with a high demand they know they will sell places at a higher price. simple business economics.

and who knows what their marketing plans are for the event in and around Brighton, costs for laying it on, road closures, policing, safety, insurance etc etc........all adds up and big City events usually cost more due to these issues.
  • Options

all makes sense fb. Let's hope for a stunning goody bag at the end eh?

To be honest though I'd rather do this than the VLM (especially as it's the first).  FB, do you happen to know if the organisers are sending out the numbers etc?

• Options

Karl didn't want you to miss me image - is this afternoon I'm not here...

gmike the more I know you.. the stranger you seem image

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    can't answer the numbers question TBSIARF (shorten your name for dog's sake!!) but I would think that numbers won't be sent out until at least a few weeks before the event and AFTER the VLM ballot as that will decide how many will want to pull out.........

I wouldn't bet on a stunning goody bag though!

• Options

I was hoping for a stunning goody bag at Hastings 100th anniversary marathon...still waiting.
    Lovely horse brass though image

You can already buy your "I'm in training for the Brighton marathon t-shirt"

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    yep - the Hastings horse brass was a good one and relatively unique...have to say the quality of the t-shirt for Hastings (the one I had to buy with the names on.......grrrr) is pretty piss poor........

maybe Brighton will have pink finisher's t's?? image