Options

Any newbie triathletes here?

Comments

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

stripes welcome! All tri people are so so friendly!!

Trog, yep more than likely going to go for Concorde, it fits in with all my other stuff, here I come! And I will want to knock a bit of time off....

Shame there wasn't a tri 21/9 near Tenby, I will be on my hols there then!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Alan W wrote (see)
    Thinking of doing the Cardiff Sprint Tri myself as I enjoyed the Cardiff Try a Tri, also seriously considering Cotswold Tri.  The lake is quite clear there, but would involve getting hold of a wetsuit (more money!).  OH doesn't seem to mind too much especially after I pointed out that she was the one who noticed the advert for the race in Triathlete's World.
    You'll be route expert as it's the same race only proper distance swim this time.  image
  • Options
    I quite enjoyed the route, but I looked like death after the swim Nam, hopefully with a bit more training - must get to Cardiff Tri image, I should be fine.
  • Options
    You'll find Rio and me in the numpty lane on the Thursday night swim... image  or sorry... the "technique lane"...  image
  • Options
    I'll probably start next week, too much football to allow me to get to the sessions this week!  I'll probably be joining you both in the numpty lane - my technique has improved, but it's got a long way to go.
  • Options

It's been a bit quiet in here - has everybody been busy reading and being inspired by the tales of IM France  - I know I have.

I did my first non-stop 1k swim in the pool on Tuesday and was dead chuffed to do it in under 21 minutes - not earth-shattering but good by my standards! Then on Wednesday I took part in the local 5k fun run/race and ended with a PB. So all in all a good week image! Nothing too major planned for the weekend, but I'm hoping to do a couple of long cycle rides next week/weekend.

What's everyone else up to?

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    well done ra!! I did a short relay race last night and was pretty pleased with my time, 2.32 miles in 18 mins, not mega fast but good for me! Doing horndon on the hill sunday, and today will be a just under 50 miles, 22 this morning 22 home tonight, though looking out the window could be dubious
  • Options

Blimey Wabo - under 8 minute miles is good stuff, I'm still dreaming of that (I'm currently stuck at just under 8 1/2 minute miles). Good luck getting home tonight - I'm on the bus thank goodness as the skies have just opened image.

Good luck for Sunday!

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    no that was 8.17 min miling I think, I sure!
  • Options

errr.......

2.32 miles in 18 minutes so

1 mile in (18 / 2.32) = 7.75 minutes

where has my maffs gone wrongimage?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    RA, aren't you just a wee bit tempted to register for IMCH? * I've been reading the Nice reports and I'm just amazed....* You'd have a year...Go on, go on, go on!
  • Options

I haven't been doing anything unusual really - bit of running, bit of biking, bit of tri club. I am on the Tri club list of people for what sounds like a seriously wacky tri - It's a team event, with 4 people going together, they do swim/bike/run, run/swim/bike, bike/run/swim or something like that over a very short distance for each leg and 5 minutes in-between each threeimage

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Pethead! You remind me why I miss my sons ..and their pals...hanging round the house...with all their energy...and their trainers maiking the hall look like a canoe-park image Fab relay..
  • Options

It might have been nice as a relay, but it isn't, we do it together somehow. All 4 of us swim, we all draft each other on the bikes, and we all run. Then we do it twice more.

I can see the flaw in this, because they're going to leave me for dead on bikes and I'll probably do the same to them on the run. 

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Argggggggggggghhhhhhhhh

Pedal! Pedal! image

• Options

Morning all,

I'm just back from tri club swim session. We were focussing on the catch section of the stroke - and I managed to get cramp in my wrist which was a first!

ATM I think an IM would be just a step too far. I was originally thinking of going as far as Oly distance next year, and I also appear to have agreed to do the swim leg of a half IM as part of a relay teamimage! I'm also kind of tempted to have a go at a Half IM (all parts). I don't suppose it is possible to enter a half IM in both the relay *and* the individual? Anybody heard of anybody doing that? (I guess it would only work for the swim leg!)

Pethead - seriously wacky sounds like good fun: although drafting on the bike scares the life out of me! Drafting in the swimming pool is much more fun as long as the person in front doesn't kick too much - in which case it becomes a remake of the film "The abyss"!!!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

A Half sounds great, RA * and PSC will be able to give you a first-hand account really soon. Are you tapering, now, PS? * Any foreign travel involved?

I got the chance of company on a 66k bike ride , yesterday, and that was great fun...except that the weather was absolutely awful. And today, a rest day because of a change in schedule, it's lovely and sunny. image I'm very tempted to go for a run but rest's the more sensible thing. Tomorrow might well be the day I swim 25 m, front crawl.  * Yes, that's metres. * Or star on 'The Abyss' remake...

Have good day swimming/biking/running, everyone.

• Options
    ATM - 66K bike! Sounds, er, far!
    I reckon Me/ATM/Hanneke could make a good relay team for something like Half-IM - I swim, ATM bikes, Hanneke runs?
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ah ,I'm slow , Pethead. Must knit myself a road-bike...and pedal faster.

Today was not the day I swam a length image  :Thursday, Thursday...

• Options

You could always have my bike, it's quite fast although I can never ride long distances.

Good luck with the length! It'll come!

• Options

Hi All

Been mad busy for a few days work wise but had great training weekend - need to share my happiness with someone image

Got proper bike shoes and SPD pedals and had hubby realign my bike seat - OMG what a difference! Really enjoyed my first full hour out on the bike. Weather fab too image

Made up for depressing swimming lesson on Thurs last week when coach took my stroke apart. Thought I was swimming ok but now feel v ungainly, slow and unbalanced image Know I have to practice and it will come.

Am upping training now to fit in swim plus run or bike if possible so today was swim practice at lunch (bit better not much) and then 10k road run along sea front this evening. Legs felt heavy - could have been after effects of bike ride yesterday.

Am feeling positive though as generally feeling stronger and fitter each week (10 weeks to go to first tri )image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I've got SPD pedal-envy...even though I don't know what they are. But I certainly know a happy biker when I see one. image Enjoy your improved performance crazyH.  *Rather envious of the fab weather, too. *

• Options

ATM... if they're road SPDs (rather than MTB ones) they should look something like this...

there are different types obviously...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:jtuzLFUutATd3M:http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/cycle/seh/nl/en/news___info/news/shimano_spd_pedals.-MainContent-0001-TextImage.MainContenttextimage.gif

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Ah, thanks....with the holes for the things in the shoes....image  Must knit pedals to go with imaginary road-bike...
  • Options
    HI Guys,

found this link and didn't know where to post it and a ATM suggested here, was wondering if THIS here would be any good to any of you.

Jeff
  • Options
    that didn't work - go here
    http://www.runriderun.com
    click events then look at the Activio London Tri-it bit
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I've got pedals like that and SPD shoes - I can walk around in them too, cos the cleats are recessed.

Ok folks, numpty TR is 2 weeks away from his first Tri - I got lots of numbers and a wristband through the post today - not sure what to do with them all yet.

It says in the blurb that draftbusters* will be out on the course. So, in simple terms what can I and can't I do to avoid being busted especially when overtaking and being overtaken (not that thats going to happen !)

* I thought these were snake or sausage dog style stuffed animals that Grandma used to put behind the front door on a windy day.
  • Options

Basically, No Drafting means you can't follow in another racer's slipstream too closely. You should leave them a "box" around them which is supposed to be 15m front-back and 3m left-right. If you do want to overtake, you have 15 seconds to make progress through their "box," and they then have 15 seconds to drop back out of your "box." And vice versa of course.

Got a wetsuit today - Only a very cheap TWF shorty, but it's a good fit and I'm now less nervous about my open-water swim.

• Options
    TR wrote (see)
    I've got pedals like that and SPD shoes - I can walk around in them too, cos the cleats are recessed. Ok folks, numpty TR is 2 weeks away from his first Tri - I got lots of numbers and a wristband through the post today - not sure what to do with them all yet. It says in the blurb that draftbusters* will be out on the course. So, in simple terms what can I and can't I do to avoid being busted especially when overtaking and being overtaken (not that thats going to happen !) * I thought these were snake or sausage dog style stuffed animals that Grandma used to put behind the front door on a windy day.
    All the best TR!! image
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pethead, thanks I'll justy blaze past everyone then.

Nam - thanks. Not sure that Tim Don has anything to worry about yet though.