Options

Kent Coastal Marathon

Comments

• Options

Metcheck tells me it is going to be windy, sunny, rainy, showery and fair!!!!! What the heck, what will be, will be! Have a fantastic day, look out for Bill (666, they gave him what they thought was an appropriate number), me (777),  MF7,our leader, and he will no doubt tell you his number later and Mrs F who will be hiding in a tent! and come and say hello.

Good luck and whether you achieve your stated goals or not, just enjoy the freedom of spending time outdoors with the most wonderful scenery to enjoy

• Options
    Cliff Should we warn them about the smelly seaweed or let them find out for themselves?
  • Options

I think we will leave it as a secret until they reach Faversham and then it should become self evident. But every cloud has a silver lining; there is a plentiful supply for my allotmentimage

How are you feeling Bill, confident?

• Options
    Macedonia are playing wellimage
  • Options

just got back in from helping to set out the course have been up ladders hanging on in the very stiff breeze, (hope that dies down for tomorrow) putting signs up, have loaded the van with water energy drinks etc for everyone and am now enjoying a nice cup of tea and a peice of cake. (carbo loading Bill honest)

Cliff no worries I will see you at the start in the morning, Hope I can remember your short cut over image

• Options
    Why do I enter marathons?
  • Options
    Cliff Just hoping for the best, we will take it as it comes.
  • Options

Sir CdC so you can meet other people in the same mental state!!image

Hope i don't get any more phone calls asking if we are really fullimage

Hope no-one asks me what their time is tomorrow either - wear a watch!!!!

• Options
    Or look at the f***ing big clock at the finish!
  • Options

Just been out on my final training run- A quick 15 miler. Just jokingimage

I've just spent the last few hours going through my checklist. Pre-race nerves have well and truely kicked in-this is my first race. 

Good luck to everyone tomorrow and thanks to various people in this thread for the advice and of course a special thank you to the race organisers for putting this together.

See you tomorrow!

• Options

Good luck with it Chaffordred, you will be fine, you have put the work in.

• Options

Thanks CB. Good luck with your sub 5 target.

• Options
    Good luck everyone Hope to meet some of you in the morning image
  • Options

I cannot believe I am the first one to get back online, considering my finishing time, but there you go. I failed my target miserably clocking 5h26. The game plan was bang on at halfway, Mark did a grand job in getting me there in 2h20 but then it all went t*ts up in the second half. Looking back I know I have only myself to blame, I did not do the training. In the two months prior to FLM I clocked over 200 miles, but in the two prior to this race I did less than 150 and nearly 100 of that was crammed into the last month, not a sensible preparation.

Many thanks to Mark for his gallant efforts at badgering me into upping my pace, but it just wasn't there. The same knee which gave me trouble last year started playing up again, fortunately just slowing me down this time rather than reducing me to a walk. The wind didn't help, but no excuses, it might have cost me 5-10 mins but not 26.

Well done Cable, what was your finishing time? You were going like a train when you passed us! How did our conditions compare to Swansea Bay? If you liked our race why not come back and see us on the first Sunday in March when we put n a 20 miler which is a good preparation race for FLM. Enough of the adverts, now for the Oscar speech.

I would just like to thank all the organisers and the fantastic marshals, they really work their cotton socks off in all weathers and have to put up with a lot from the occasional dingbat or whinger. Both of these races have been sold out for several weeks, a fact which has been widely advertised on RW and our own website, but still there was one guy having a bit of a strop with CMF about why he couldn't  just turn up on the day and run. I don't know she didn't settle the matter by leaping over the table and giving him a Glasgow Kiss.

See you all again next year, but do remember, book early to avoid disappointment.

• Options

Bill glad to see you back online!!  Put this one down to experience and get ready for Hastings!

I thought I was quite well behaved today - apologies to the very nice lady who was sent to collect her fruit hamper from me just when the printer went wrong and i was stressed and probably snapped at her - SORRYimage

MF7 is now snoring gently upstairs!

• Options

Bill I know you are a little dissapointed in your time but what I saw today was pure "guts" to keep on going when your target had gone and you clearly was hurting like hell took a huge amount of self motivation so VERY WELL DONE !! and enjoy the Spitfire and mixed Grill tonight you have truly earned them.image

A huge thanks to all the marshalls who despite some quite nast y weather at times were just fantastic your encouragement was brilliant.

We are off out tonight for a meal with the other event organisers I hope there is a horse on the menue as I feel like I could eat one image

• Options
    Well done to all the organisers, you deserve it! A fantastic eventimage
  • Options

My time was terrible but I am delighted to say I finished. It's my own fault - have done lots of hill training but never been out in the wind.

Anyone associated with TRAC could you please pass on my grateful thanks for all the support & encouragement from organisers & marshalls. You shoul be proud of this event.

• Options

Passes over a horse to MF7.

Thanks to you and CMF and all the organisers/marshalls image

• Options
    Thank you Thanet Road Runners!! The organisation was excellent and the marshalls were the friendliest I have ever come across.The young woman marshal just after 25 miles was a star!So enthusiastic! You should be proud to host such a friendly event.Also the range of drinks/gels etc was first rate. Thank you again.
  • Options

Just to repeat what other people have been saying about the great work by the organisers and the freindliness and the motivation from the marshalls. A few places stick my mind, especially the marshalls at bottom of Fort Hill just after mile 25 (where does she get her energy from?) and thereafter. To see the sight of the tents and to hear the words "one and a half minutes to go. well done" was heaven!

CB, don't beat yourself up over your time,  today you have accomplished what most people can only dream of - you finished a full marathon! Well done! 

Personally, I thought today was fantastic. Well, maybe not them last couple of miles and the wind going out to minnis bay (yes, I got a few whiffs of the seaweed), but this is what we trained for. 

I went through the first half expecting "relentlessups and downs", but they just didn't come. Where did RW get that from? There were a few small climbs, but nothing hard and definitly not relentless. I finished within my target. Not the fastest pace, but very pleased to finish my first race and raise over £700 for the Make a Wish foundation.

Well done Thanet Roadrunners!

• Options

That was tough, but I did it.   I get the impression from the current Mrs. F that my face was pretty close to matching the colour of the event T-shirt when I passed her at 26 miles.   My time was 7 minutes faster than last year - all of it gained in the first half of the race,so I have to be pleased.   The slight course adjustment meaning we had less of a loop at the finish was most welcome.

Thanks must go to all the organisers for their hard work in advance (and afterwards, although I did not hang around for that part) and to all the marshals who gave enthusiastic  encouragement wherever they were stationed - they were a credit to their club.

Three requests for next year:

1. Can we please have a changing tent for the men without windows?

2. Can next year's event tee-shirt be pink or red (that's from my 5 year-old daughter - she would also like a teddy bear like the one I brought back from last year's Five 2 Go marathon, so probably bettter to ignore her)?

3. Can you arrange for a couple of marshals to run about 10 feet ahead of me with a windshield in their hands between miles 11 and 19 to keep off the wind...

• Options

Good to see few friends there today, Jono from Faversham, Cliff, MF7 and the current Mrs F.

Not the best start to the day after being accused by The Current Mrs Fof "going over to the dark side".

Once I had assured her that I hadn't, things got a lot better.

The usual well organised race that I have come to expect from TRR. Many thanks to the marshalls and all the organisers.

I managed 4.28 but that headwind was very strong from 10 miles to 19. And it was weird passing the halfway point and finding myself almost alone. Not sure what percentage of the runners did the Half but I bet it was 80%+.

Next week I am at Mablethorpe for another marathon. Aiming to do 4 on consecutive Sundays in September. One down, three to go !

• Options

Can I just say I heartily agree with SCC's third request, failing that can I kite-surf back?

Mark, many thanks for your kind remarks, I will email you separately. Unfortunately our restaurant didn't have any Spitfire so I had to settle for Greene King IPA instead, but I did manage to get my mixed grill.

• Options
    Hi All!

Have to say, a thoroughly enjoyable day - although if there was an internet cafe between 16 and 19, I'd have cursed you all!!! Bill - how does it compare? At 9 miles, I was all ready for my 'call that wind?!' post! I've known wind like that, but not solidly for 10 miles!!!

Anyway - really good. Good to see you all, CB, Tracy, Cliff, MF7 I'm guessing and I think one more. As everyone says, great marshals can really make a race and yours certainly did. Helpful, attentive and friendly. I was going really well until halfway, then it hit me! Relentless is the best word! The great thing was once you make the turn at 19.5, it's plain sailing.

Got round in 3 35, a pb, so I'm really pleased. A really nice 'feel good' race - my 10th mara and definitely the most welcoming.

Not feeling too bad after a Sunday roast, KFC, 2/3 of a cheesecake and a bottle of rioja! It's why I do it!!!!

Thanks again to all. It's like the end of term or a holiday! I'll stay on this post for a couple more days. I'm sure I'll chat to you all again another time. The forum definitely makes for a great marathon.

And if I get the Swansea Marathon going, I'll use KC as what I hope to achieve. And if I do, I'll send you details!! It won't clash I promise!

So much for an early night - Murray's on now!
  • Options
    Oh yeah - as for 'going like a train' it certainly helps having the wind at your back and less than 4 miles to the finish!! Certainly wasn't on the way out!
  • Options

Cable - Congratulations on you new pb imageimageimage How the hell you did it in that time I don't know.

CB - Don't be so hard on yourself. It was a tough marathon, for the hills and the head wind.

MF - You are very nice man. You got CB over the finish line. Good luck with your London 2 Brighton race. Look forward to seeing you at Beachy.

• Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭

Wow, what a great race!

Admittedly I am not the best judge as I tend to enjoy all image of them but this was really good. Pleased that I managed to catch up with the race director at the finish to tell him in person and I hope,like the rest of you above, that this is passed on to the other organisors and those friendly marshalls who really put some fun and enthusiasm in!

Any UK holiday and I'm always taking my trainers as I love running by the sea (my main training run is through SE London into Central London to the office with may be an extension along the Thames so you can understand what a pleasant change it makes!). This was great for me therefore and the half simply flew by without me noticing the time or miles, just the scenery. I'll admit that c16 - 19.5 was hard as ever corner turned brought more wind and an other long stretch ahead and my legs were feeling it after 21 but home in 3.41 which was ok.

Got myself a sugary tea and bacon baguette at the finish and sat down for 30mins to clap a few home. And once again just enjoyed the friendly feel and support to all.

• Options

Well done EVERYONE and thanks for the lovely comments!  It is so good to know that all the stress/worry/sleepless nights and preparation pay off and runners at all levels enjoy the race and get round safely.

sir CdC - we'll stick the ladies in the windowed tent next year!image  and will request pink teeshirts!

• Options

Mrs F - The lovely food at the finish was just what you need at the end of a race. You had a good turn out of Marshall's in the end and they were fantastic as usual. But could you have a word with the man about the wind please. Me and Cinders were nearly in the English Channel on our way to France Lol