Options

Read any good books lately?

Comments

• Options
    I know it is sad but I love Harry potter. I am studying and reading big thick anatomy books all the time. So a gentle fun childrens book is about the most I can handle.
  • Options

Little Nemo....I've just recently worked my way through the kate Atkinson books....loved them!

Kwilter....I've just ordered The Thirteenth Tale....looking forward to that!

• Options
    Hope you enjoy it GFB!
  • Options
    CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭

I'm glad I stuck with 'We need to talk about Kevin'.  It was a slow burner and well worth the effort in the end.

In my lunchtime today I'll be starting 'The Death of Marco Pantani' by Matt Rendell.  I like biographies.

I'm also dipping into today for work purposes "Projecting Politics: Political Messages in American Films" Christensen, Terry and Peter J. Haas (2005).

• Options

The Thirteenth Tale is probably one of my favourite books, loved it! It's one of those that will always stay in my bookcase and I'll read again.

Just finished reading The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg, a Scandinavian Author. Will certainly be looking out for more of hers.

Corinthian - glad you stuck out with We Need to talk about Kevin.

• Options

'Bad Blood: The Secret Life of the Tour de France' by Jeremy Whittle. I'm not a big cycling fan, and bought this book on a whim. I read it in two days.

Will Self's 'The Book of Dave'. Its a hard read, but I found it well worth it, though I know others haven't.

Also, 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy. Its fantastically written, but heartbreaking (not a word I usually use). I haven't finished it yet, because I think something bad is going to happen to one of the characters and I can't bring myself to read on. I will finish it tomorrow. Its got me into all things post-apocalypic - games, books, films - anyone got any recommendations?

• Options

mikeyf - you could try Oryx and Crane by Margaret Atwood, I really enjoyed it and I'll definitely read it again. The Road is on my list of future reads so I'm glad to hear it's good.

While I was sorting out a humongous pile of paperwork I found some old gift tokens so I was able to go on a mini book splurge. Treated myself to:

• New Culture novel by Iain M Banks
    • Sophie Kinsella chick-lit book
    • New Nicci French - quite like psychological thrillers
    • One Good Turn - Kate Atkinson
    • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson (sp?)

Should probably have something a bit more literary as well - maybe next time!

Happy reading everyone image

• Options

Little Nemo,

Iain M Banks is quite literary isnt he ? image

When I read his Culture novels I always have the Cranberries playing in the background, a full pot of coffee, and a steady strem of warm  croissants. Heaven.

• Options

he is very clever
    if that is what you mean
    that's why i read him

i like books where i really cannot guess what is going to happen next

• Options

I think "non-literary" books are primarily concerned with story telling - plot is the most important.  Stephen King is a master storey teller and a great writer but would be seen as literary.

Literary, for me,is associated with a higher quality of writing and also touches on wider themes.  The culture novel covers ideas of what it is to be human by looking at the ineraction between machine and human (which is going to be more relevant to us as computers get more and more powerful).  But it is still a good read - literary doesnt have to mean unreadable

Feersum Endjinn is one of my favs - didnt know what was going on and then it clicked.

• Options

That's an interesting viewpoint bos1. I definitely prefer a book with a good plot, sometimes lose patience with too much philosophical musings! I'm a bit like you lex, I like Iain M Banks as you never know what is going on at the start of his books, you have to "go with the flow" and wait for it all to click in place.

I do most of my reading on my bus journey to and from work. The sign of a really good book is when I miss my stop image

• Options

Must try some Iain M Banks someday, I've read most of his others, under Iain Banks, but never the sci fi ones.

I've just finished 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'. Quite enjoyed it. Bit short of books now image

• Options

squish - i find that when i read them i just skim all the "the spaceship was made from titanium blah blah blah with gun turrets blah blah and controlled my fuel from blah blah" and the "i am nookie from the planet zog zog, champion of the planet of blah blah" and just stick to the plots which are good but i don't really like all the sci fi stuff

• Options
    I just started reading Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, I think it's going to be quite entertaining! I've already read Sepulchre by her. These books combine history, religion, legend, the past and the present. Definitely better than Dan Brown, it's a similar sort of thing.
  • Options
    I've just started "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", Iron Squishy. Enjoying it so far.
  • Options

Just finished

"The man who cycled the world" by Mark Beaumont interesting insight into spending 195 days alone on a bike

• Options

Just abandoned  Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel. I've been reading it for a few days but realised I didn't actually care what happened to anyone.

Today's Waterstones 3 for 2 haul: Time Travellers Wife, Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir and Geoff Boycott's Best XI from each Test nation. I've started the Boycott one already, finding it quite funny but I'm having to read with a Yorkshire accent.

I read Labyrinth a couple of years ago and loved it...heaps better than Dan Brown, who I regret every second I spent reading!

• Options

I read Beyond Black a few years back, kwilter. I did persevere with it but I also didn't really care about anyone in it. It had a few good moments in it but probably not worth it overall.

Really enjoying The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - grisly but gripping!

I got the last book of the Twilight series for my birthday and this will probably be my next read.

• Options

Kwilter and Iron Squishy....I took the Thirteenth Tale on my holidays with me and really, really enjoyed it...one of theose "damn I've finished it" books.

mikeyf wrote (see)

Also, 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy. Its fantastically written, but heartbreaking (not a word I usually use). I haven't finished it yet, because I think something bad is going to happen to one of the characters and I can't bring myself to read on. I will finish it tomorrow. Its got me into all things post-apocalypic - games, books, films - anyone got any recommendations?

I also got the above...one of those, "this doesn't look too bad, I've nothing to read on the plane all my books are packed in my suitcase" kind of books.....I thought it was slow to start but putting it into context, the times were so tough there was no time or energy for the narrator for use quatation marks and so on.  I fell in love with the book and actually sobbed (by the pool! image) when it finished...MrGFB thinks I'm a right dink at times!!

I've got nowt to read right now....busted after my jollies!!

• Options
    Cormac McCarthy Child Of God. Don't read that before your bedtimeimageQuite disturbing.
  • Options

The Road.... loved it.

Just read a chick lit book 'Anybody out There' by Marian Keyes. Don't normally do chick lit but was getting desperate, but 'quite' enjoyed it and the family are absolutely barking mad which provided a few amusing chapters.

Little Nemo, you'll love Breaking Dawn, it's fab! Have you tried The Host by the same author? Different but really enjoyed that one too.

Must have a trip to the 2nd hand bookshops or charity shops as we're getting very low on supplies now image

Will try Child of God, quite like Cormac McCarthy books, thanks Misprinted.

• Options
    Read French Revolutions by Tim Moore recently - great book, although probably more one for the (road) cycling fans
  • Options

Picked up "What Was Lost" by Catherine O'Flynn in Oxfam recently. 

Have only read the first couple of chapters but already liking it a lot.  Very well written.

• Options

Enjoying it so far, Iron Squishy! I have The Host on pre-order from Amazon when it comes out in paperback.

I like Marion Keyes' writing. She's not too sentimental and has some nice observational humour. The mad family appear in some of her other books as well, they're a good laugh if you're feeling down.

• Options
    I've bought Spares by Michael Marshall Smith (1p from Amazon plus p+p image) as a complete departure.  I'm just on the first chapter and it's proving quite interesting....will update.
  • Options
    Kwilter - The Time Traveller's Wife is really good, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I bought Atonement by Ian McEwan for a quid from a chazza shop on Saturday but think I might save that for Switzerland travel time.

Currently reading a trashy chic lit Adele Parks as a bit of light relief from MA assignment writing!

Got Patrick Gale's 'Notes on an Exhibition' to read - anyone read it?
  • Options

Aitch I read it last year, really enjoyed it.

Finished Time Travellers Wife at the weekend and sobbed at the end image

Current book is a total departure: Geoff Boycott's top XI from each Test playing country. Love the anecdotes sprinkled throughout it, not as "me me me" as I feared. I started it a couple of weeks ago, then put it down for Time Travellers Wife, so I'm up to West Indies now. Love arguing with his selections image

• Options
    CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭

I've just finished a really good Cricket book called  Bodyline Autopsy: The Full Story of the Most Sensational Test Cricket Series - England Vs. Australia 1932-3 

By a bloke called David Frith - Really good book if you're a social history nut and a cricket fan