Options

Brand new runner looking for companions..

Comments

• Options

oh, and I forgot to ask....

I have been following the beginners building up to 5K programme over 8 weeks...should I be doing the other beginnners one 0-30 minutes one???

cheers

ann-marie

• Options

Bedford - Depends on how fit you are.. (Please join in with me as that would be really fun and we could do the same weeks together!!) I am doing the one for fat, unfit lard asses... (rough translation!) image

Oh and motivators? I think - just run to there, and then you will be fine...or just one step in front of the other, or..at least you are doing it... THEY aren't....

Or some such..

BRAVO all of us!

• Options
    Blithespirit    I am totally unfit & overweight by about 3 stone....which programme are you on, and where abouts are you...would love to have a "buddy"
  • Options
    Blithespirit.......I meant where are you on the programme.!!!!
  • Options

imageHi Bedfrd Op - good for you for doing something - you should be proud of yourself 'cos there are a lot out there that do nothing!!!!!!!!!

imageHmmmmmmmm  Motivation - thats a difficult one 'cos we are all motivated in different ways and by different reasons etc.  For me it was a mad, mad idea to commit myself to do something for somebody SO I entered a half mara & raise money for charity - did it and although I was sloooooooooooooooooooooooow I DID IT - imageNow an even madder idea occured & I've commited myself again to another  half mara & will run for a different charity - and try to better my time.image I saw a programme not so long ago about a girl who had post both legs in a bomb blast and she struggled to get across her kitchen to make a cup of tea AND THAT made me feel that I have no right to moan - so I dig deep and keep trying hard. I also joined slimming world to help with the weight and so far lost 10/11lbs in as many weeks. (just incase you think I am a young thing , I ain't - I'm 55 and was at least 2st over weight but I'm getting there AND SO WILL YOU.xx

imageWe are all here to help you, so don't ever worry about asking us for any help, ideas etc

TTFN Nessie

• Options

BLITHE - really pleased that you did well last night, you sounded like you were getting down hearted with running a little while ago but i hope this motivates you, you did fantastic image 

KATE - sorry to hear about your neck, get hubby to give it a massage for you, you'll soon feel better image

BEDFORD - not everyones cup of tea but i keep motivated by running in busy areas. 1) because it is safer if there are plenty of people around, as long as you don't mind the odd comments, good & bad & 2) it keeps my mind busy & lots of people to speed past which makes my times better.image

PLOD - sounds like you are getting fitter & faster every week, brilliant image

RED - good luck for wednesday, i'm sure you will do a good time image

LISA - not sure what to say to you so just keep at it image

ME - i went running with my local club tonight & got put with a couple of older runners who were a little bit faster than i would normally like to go but we ran 4 miles & they pulled me along & it felt good. I am pleased i did run faster cause a least this way i can feel it working & hopefully i will improve quicker. Can't wait to get my club running top then it will really feel official. I am going on a bit now so i will zip it image

• Options
    I managed to get a different smiley for everyone too, think i have too much time on my handsimageimageimage
  • Options

Ady - You have WAYYYYYY too much time on your hands! *grin*

And go you on the running club!

Beford - The one I am doing is here.. And it would be really great if you did join me!

• Options
    It's a bit quiet on here tonight don't you think? So other than your fab running what else goes on, sorry i am a really nosey person sometimes lol
  • Options

I'm here - had a rubbish run tonight - but that was my fault as I was silly and hadn't eaten properly for two days in attempt to keep my weight down after a bingey weekend.

Must be more sensible - need to find a sustainable healthy eating plan

Ady well done on the running club - I'm too scared to join one yet

• Options

http://media.greatrun.org:8080/asset-bank/action/searchrunner?attribute_34=1580&attribute_36=Bupa+Great+Womens+Run+2008

I'm the chubby one in the bright pink t shirt - not impressed with these photos, look like a sack of spuds

• Options

Hi everyone. Thought I'd join in this thread after reading all of your stories/ progress! Can relate to lots of you image

I started running about 7 or 8 weeks ago to try and lose a bit of weight (i'd got up to 16 stone- mostly through going everywhere by car and eating dirty KFC's etc far too frequently!) I changed pretty much all I am eating and started running and at first I could only run a few minutes at best before getting worn out, but slowed down a bit and now I can run for about half an hour (more on a good day) I've lost a stone and a half and feel and look much better for it image I'm actually really enjoying running now (I never thought I'd like exercise!)I plan to do a 5K in august.

Hope you don't mind me joining in! It's good to see other people starting out too image 

• Options

blithespirit....

its a bit different to the one I started with, but can move onto it easily enough though.

what point are you up to...see if i can synchronise with you?

ann-marie

• Options

Welcome to the best thread in town Peter - I am the thread's resident whinger and hyperchondriac! 

Good for you for starting running

• Options
    Welcome peter. I think i speak for everyone when i say nice to have you on board & any help & advice we can give then don't be afraid to ask cause we all had to start somewhere. 
  • Options

evening all!!

been in Amsterdam for work so have not run for a week now!! SERIOUSLY lacking motivation - help!!! i have a 10k in 6 weeks time.

will try and catch up on what everyones been up to and hello to anyonenew on the board. its a very friendly bunch image

Lou xxx

• Options

Awww this thread is fab - everyone is so supportive.

My neck is better - strangely my disasterous run seems to have improved it - which doesn't make sense but who am I to question.

• Options

Kate - well done on getting out there - It can be so hard when you feel awful, but well done! Don't forget that it will get easer nexty time too..

Womble - Welcome back.. (try saying THAT quickly!_

Peter - Hellooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Welcome to the thread, and how wonderful of you to join us!

Bedford - I am on R5W2 just..literally by the skin of my teeth... I may even have to repeat it a week - I am going very slowly, but at least I am going!

• Options

Nexty time??!! I don't know what it means but I LURV it!

Ofsted on Thursday - gulp! And I am STILL determined to get out and run tomorrow.. Am I mad!

• Options

Thanks Blithe and Ady image

eek, wombles post has just made me think, I am off to greece next week- I've not really thought too much about it- but 2 weeks in the sun is going to throw my routine! Hopefully I will be able to substute my regular running with swimming every day! I reckon it'll be too hot for me! 

I'm sure that it won't take you long to refind your motivation Womble, once you've gone for a run once you'll soon get back into it

• Options

Blithe,

I'll be starting the 5+2 on sunday.....so only a week behind you!

I cannot imagine what it feels like to be able to run for 30 mins straight.....when I can I'm gonna have to think of a big treat, any ideas (bearing in mind I'm on a "healthy eating plan"), and low budget???

For those of you that can do 30mins, how did you celebrate?...was this your first running milestone?.

ann-marie

• Options

To be honest i don't think i did celebrate, just knowing i could actually do it was good enough to put a stupid great smile on my face. I did tell everyone & bore most people stoooopid about it though image

Someone gave me some very good advice when i first started. They told me to slow down then i would instantly run further. I slowed down & it worked, the speed will come eventually.

• Options

I wont be doing 30 mins at any great speed!!!

I agree that personal satisfaction is paramount....but I do like a carrott!!!!!

• Options

I was the same ady, I slowed down and progressivly I can run further.I am hoping the speed will come too- I try speeding up and slowing down for a few seconds at a time now when I'm running- Some days I do just plod though!!

Milestones for me were being able to run 15 mins non stop- then 20- then 25 - now 30. I'm working up to about 45 hopefully over the next month or so- only problem is I run after work most days and dont get home until 7pm- so have to fit in a run before tea- which means I dont have much time (else my wife will not be happy for not making her food!!). I think 30 mins is going to be the limit to my daily runs- maybe on days off I might manage 45 mins+ in the future! 

• Options

..point of my last post (which I forgot to make) was that I didnt really celebrate- I was just very pleased with myself and bragged about it to everyone (especially mates at work who thought I wouldn't stick to it!!)

I do reward all of my good eating/ not drinking much and running by having a take away once a week at weekends- but then tend to still try and get a run or a swim in on that day anyway! 

• Options

Cooeee!! Im back!

So many new names, welcome to you all. I had 260 emails in my inbox, forgot to take the thread alert offimage....havent read back, but will do i promise.

Well.....i had a lovely time, all i did was read and sit round a pool....now the downside lol........

it was so hot (in the 40s) i couldnt bloody run to save my life!! It might have been ok late at night, but the beach has no lights apart from the bar/taverna lights, making it impossible/unsafe. But i did swim quite alot, now i feel unfit and fat lol.

Have loads to do today, but will at least get in the gym on the TM later.

Yes i did actually miss you all (ahhhhh lol).

Hope your all ok my running buddies xx

• Options

Welcome back Strump! 

At least you'll look tanned in your running gear! 

• Options

imageHi Peter welcome to the best bunch around - you will get loads of help & encouragement here.

imageStrump glad you had a good hol - dont worry abt not running I am sure the break will have done you good and you will return to it with renewed vigour. x Sometimes the body needs a rest.

imageKate - take it from wise old plod that you need to fuel your body for running - now I HATE being hungry so I follow the slimming world green plan which means I can eat LOADS & LOADS of rice, pasta potatoes, veg, fruit, eggs , cott cheese , quark, muller light yogs etc etc NO measuring or weighing of these foods imageand I eat lots of fish and very little meat - Believe you me I LOVE chips chocs alcohol etc but as the weight comes off and the runs are going better bit by bit that helps keep me going.image Not ideal this for everyone but wondered if it may help you? x

imageI never ever ever ever believed I would be able to run (still have doubts everytime I go out - will this ever stop??) but I record my time and have clocked my routes so I know how far I am going and how long it takes me - that helps me to try a bit harder or a bit further each time - so don't know if this will help any of you ?

imageOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no I hear you all shout - Plods off on a ramble again - will shut up now (for a while) & let someone else get a word in.xx

imageHello & well done to all I've missed TTFN Nessie

• Options
    HitchHitch ✭✭✭

welcome back Strump.  - time to get the running shoes out again.

Kate - It is good to put a face to the name.

peter - welcome to the thread. as already said by others, just build up gradually. as you make each milestone you can bask in the glory for a while, then aim for the next one!

bs - good luck on the ofsted. I went to my daughter's new school yesterday. they have just failed their ofsted so they are making loads of changes to put things right. hopefully it will be ok by the time my daughter starts.

I have got an exam this afternoon so should be revising but if I don't know it now I never will !

womble head - stop faffing about. you have a race in 6 weeks time. get out there and run. You know you want to. You will enjoy it when you get out there. image

hello to everyone else who i haven't mantioned.