Options

Brand new runner looking for companions..

Comments

• Options

Hello all, hope you are well.  I find myself in need  of moral support regards speed insecurities.image

Yesterdays run (supposed to be R8 W2 x3) Warm up R8 W2 R8 W3 R7 Warm down. Total inc warm-up/down 2 Miles travelled in 40 Minutes with 1% incline on TM.  Heart rate for last 3 mins of running 175-180 BPM - c.90-95% max

20 Minute miles at near max effort - bloomin' rubbishimage

Now, I keep telling myself that it's the TM thats slowing me down, and when I can run for 30 mins on the treadmill, I'll go outside and find myself banging out 30min 5k's with ease in the real world, so if anyone would like to tell me this is the case (even if it isn't) or re-assure me 20 minute miles is ok (for now maybe, or even forever?) or shame me in to trying to run faster, I'd be much appreciative.image

TTFN GG

• Options

imageGG  -  No No No No not rubbish at all - you are runnigng and thats all that matters - unless you are training to be a sprinter at the olympics - don't worry - just enjoy imageslow and steady thats Plods motto

imagejust remember you are running !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I had a mental blockage a while ago and went to the gym for help with the running and they put me on the treadmill for 1m then 1.5m then 2m then 2.5 then 3m - then when I went to the gym & the treadmills were in use & people queing to get on them I thought - What the heck and went outside and havent looked back since - I am progressing slowly and you will too .x

imageHellooooooooooooooooo everyone its only plod putting her penny worth ih - I hope along the way I do help some one 'cos I do know how hard it is .xxxx

• Options

Hi Plod, Grump and GG

GG, nothing at all rubbish....the main thing is your running! I have 2 speeds, slow and stop (well, ok, slow and slower). Today i was VERY slow, but i just kept at it. I can honestly say, i dont make my main aim my speed, my main aim is my distance (yes i would love to do 5k sub 30 mins), but i wont worry if i take 40 mins. Come on, chin up, your doing great!

Oh its nice to be backimage

• Options

Hello all! 

Grump - in my defence the photos are not the most flattering!

BS - Good luck with Ofsted - at least they are only there for a couple of days - we had one in September, its awful but think of the huge glass of wine you can have when its all over with.....

Hello everyone else - off to starbucks for a cheeky coffee!

• Options

Kate - those pesky photographers eh?  You look great by the way. 

Hi to Peter - Well done on your running progress and weight loss, My hat off to you image

Welcome back Strump and Womble  Hope you had a great hol. Strump. 

GG  The treadmill I tend to think does not give a true picture of your running ability,  I've recently given up my gym membership and now know realise my runs outside are way off the mark from the TM.  They are useful and good for a change - but don't be downhearted          image    you will see much better results running  outside following your programme.  (Not that I'm an expert, as never followed a RW plan, just started out running  for a  very short while and walking a while  till I got my breath back) 

Ady - q. right about running around in busy areas.  I seem to get a kick start where ever there are pedestrians and queues of traffic,  never shall I be seen to be  er...walking past

Get a free burger after the run tonight - not that I feel hungry after a run, rather have a beer! 

Take Care

xx

• Options

imageThat must be why I still cannot shed that last stone and half    THE BEER!!!!! ...   and the odd glass or two of Merlot with dinner   imageimage !!!

Thats my confession now  - anyone else???????

TC

• Options

MRF

Ok, if we must do confessions lol......

ouzo (sp) isnt good for you! I thought i might like to try some of the local drink....its was soooo yummy (how was i to know it made you pithed), tasted innocent enough to me and i was assured its an innocent drink...well never again shall i smell it, let alone taste the stuff! I have become a light weight in the booze department and i wasnt at all well after 3 of these damn drinksimage and to cap it all, my healthy eating went right out the window after 2 days, im sorry, i just couldnt resist lol. xx

• Options

Hi All

Just joined this thread and really look forward to hearing all your suggestions. I took up running at Christmas and really enjoying it, completed my first 10k in June did in 61mins pretty happy i'm but sure I could have done better.

Quick question when i go out for a run in the evening my legs are very heavy what causes this?

Viv 

• Options

Hiya viv & welcome. Remember you may be using your legs all day so yes this may be a good warm up before running but it can tire them out. What i try to do i eat a banana half an hr before i go running to give my legs a quick burst of energy. I really am no expert but it seems to work for me. I also started running at christmas & did my first 10K last weekend. Just joined a club last night so hopefully they will pull & push me along to better my times.

Welcome back strump, bet you have a great tan you lucky thing. You will soon be back running & most likely with the good rest you will be even better image

GG - you will get betterin time so don't worry. I will be honest with you, i don't understand all that technical numbers & jargon. I just go out & run & have never followed any set plans or anything, i just run as far as i can & add half a mile or so each week & this seems to work for me. Hope this helps.

• Options

imageWoo Hoo confession time hey - as I sit here with my very healthy fresh mango & orange juice,  Oh did I forget to mention the liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle vodka to liven it up????image I am celebrating the fact that I managed ( albeit verrrrrrrrry slowly, almost a shuffle ) imagethe dreaded hill - it goes up abt 260ft in 1.5 miles and I have'nt managed to run all the way up untill tonight, sssoooooooooooooo hence the voddy that is my treat.!!!!!!!!  So my run was 3.5m which on the flat have been able to do in abt 35mins but with the image it took me 40.15 'cos I had a walk home on the last wee stretch - Sorry to go on but I never thought old plod would do it.

imageHowdy Viv - welcome to the best bunch - always ready to help & advise when ever - from what I know/read/advised from others etc you need to eat correct stuff - as Ady says bananas are good also plenty of pasta pre runs to help legs 'cos we need the carbs for energy etc

imagePLEASE YOU other guys if I get it wrong in what I think is good advice,  do say, I won't take offence 'cos I would hate to give wrong info or encouragement to our new running buddies.

imageHelloooooooooo to you fab runing & gals I've missed xx

• Options
    HitchHitch ✭✭✭
    Viv - this may be caused by lack of stretching. make sure you stretch at the end of your run. this will help when you go for your nwxt run
  • Options

Viv....must agree, stretching is so important (as i know only to well myself). By the way, a huge welcome!

Hiya Ady ....erm.....oh yes the tan is fab ta lol......id like to say im a golden goddess (yeah right), but i'll stick to im a tanned strump lol.

Have to say the rest did do some good, my physio was most impressed at the improvement in my calfs and i know i could tell the difference when i ran today (slow maybe, but much stronger).

Lovely to see you all xx

• Options

Strump - ah yes I remember a time years ago I tried some ouzo, 'tis best forgotton  image

Well done Plod on conquering the hill   image    your time is brilliant  as well !!!!! 

Agree - a banana and small drink of fruit juice before a run, or I get that heavy leg feeling/can't seem to get going feeling

image      Did the 5 mile last night in 59m,  feeling pretty pleased about that....and guess what.....there was free beer after as well as a burger!!!!!      Actually last thing I felt like doing was scoffing burger and drinking beer, so stuck with the water......

Hey Ho!!!

Take Care

xxx

• Options

Evenin all!  Went out with a couple of experienced runners from work tonight (both have done GNR and Blaydon race many times and are as thin as whippets)

We did a couple of miles but boy do they run so much faster than me - and I think they slowed down too!  They managed to have a conversation all the way round  whilst I could barely breathe!  It was good/interesting to go out with different people - maybe I could treat the sessions I do with them as my speedwork? 

Already said I would go out with them again on Monday!

• Options
    bedford optimist wrote (see)

I cannot imagine what it feels like to be able to run for 30 mins straight.....when I can I'm gonna have to think of a big treat, any ideas (bearing in mind I'm on a "healthy eating plan"), and low budget???

For those of you that can do 30mins, how did you celebrate?...was this your first running milestone?.

Well I'd not run constantly for 30 mins at all before I did my first 10k race. I was always stopping and starting every few minutes and really didn't think I could do it. It is all in the mind though I think. When I arrived at the race, I met my cyber running partner for the first time and she was able to run 10k without stopping. I stuck with her and did get all the way around without stopping - that was 75 mins.  I think that proves to me I could have done it all along - I just didn't believe I could.

So I'd say get a cyber 'pace maker' and meet up for a race image

I'm a bit behind with the goings on in here sorry. Hope everyone is doing good. I've not run for 3 weeks because my back has been bad. I'm hoping to start again Sunday. I did get to chat about it today with running legend Dave Moorcroft, which was very cool. (enough with the name dropping now lol image)

• Options

Morning all

OMG well done you lot, so many miles been run *i am not worthy*.....is it only me?, when i read about you all, i feel so proud of you.

I am working today, tonight, another double shift tomorrow and sunday lunch....oh god when will i be able to train? Ive got a race next sunday and im so worried i wont be up to it, to say im in a panic is an understatement (i know im walking almost non stop per shift, but its not the same is it).....oh help!

I will pop in between shifts tomorrow, you all take care xxxx

• Options
    HitchHitch ✭✭✭

strump - don't worry. I know what it is like to try to fit in training when you are busy.

All you can do is your best. Remember you are running because you enjoy it. You will be fine in your race. Trust me.

At the end you will wonder why you were worrying.

You have your new tan to show off too image

• Options
    JeoffJeoff ✭✭✭
    There is some great work being done here. well done everyone. i still feel a bit of a lonely fat jogger though. It is funny - I am up to about 25 mins of running continuously without a break and I can run /walk 4 miles but some days like today my legs, ass, and back are stiff and I can't manage a mile.
  • Options
    HitchHitch ✭✭✭
    jeoff- you may be overdoing it. make sure you have rest days. also make sure you stretch before and after your runs.
  • Options
    JeoffJeoff ✭✭✭
    OK - good advice I don't stretch and have been jogging every other day. can that be too much? I am still quite overweight but not too bad now.
  • Options

Thought id pop in between shifts (start again at 6pm). Thanks Grumpy, even you saying that has helped me alot. Do you recall this work im doing started off as me helping out on a single shift a few weeks back? lol, i must be mad doing so many shifts now, but the landlady says she wont let me go now lol.

Jeoff, your doing fab! As Grumpy says, dont over do it and stretch before you run. The weight is probably already coming off, i lost stones for with this running lark, slow but sure eh and not all runners are slim builds, i know im not!! Good luck.

See you all tomorrow and take care xxx

ps....i wore my watch on shift and clocked up just under 8 miles in walking (carrying heavy plates i might add lol, no wonder im knackered).

• Options
    Jeoff on a good day i can run 7 or 8 miles but on days when my body just says no or it's too hot (some people hate hills, me, i just loathe running in the heat) i really struggle to do 3 miles. running is never predictable. Getting through the bad days just makes the good days feel a whole lot better. Nice to see your back in the swing of things strump, well with the work anyway. We will be right behind you cheering you on next week in the race hun image
  • Options

imageHi Ady, you are so right running is never predictable - we must listen to our body!!!! x

imageStrump,  watch you don't over do it - 8m is some going in work with plates etc

imageJeoff ,  all I can offer in the way of advice is what has worked for me - I run every other day & that is a plan I got off the internet  - I know we are all different & what works for one doesn't always work for another but as long as you are comfortable with your routine then stick at it.

imageHello  rest of gang - just done 3.7 with a pigggggggggggggggg of a hillimagein 38.30 managed to run all the way up the hill imagethen walk 2mins run 4 mins them walk 1-run 1 to home - well chuffed BUT HAVE BIG CONFESSION TO MAKE - I never stretch ooooooooooooooooooooh I hear you say but I rode horse hard before run and usually ride her 4/5 times a week and if any of you ride then you will know the action of the leg muscles and I wonder do you think this compensates for me not stretching before runs???  imageAdvice please guys and gals TTFN Nesssie

• Options

I have to admit I never stretch or warm up either - no horses to ride here imagethe only thing I usually do before or after are some sit ups to get the blood flowing a bit. So far I havent had any problems from not doing proper stretchs- but when I start out on a run I am very slow at the moment anyway and I guess I do slowly build up speed.

Any suggestions for good warm-ups/ warm downs (preferably non time consuming ones- I would like to retain some laziness about me!!!!!) 

• Options

Mornin all!

Just thought I'd pop in and say hello - just letting my breakfast settle (mmmm museli) and going to mark some exam scripts then off for a morning run.

Hubby and friend still lounging in bed (not together obviously!) after being on the gin last night at the restaurant - I abstained and drove us home cos I knew how I wanted to run today - get me and how dedicated I am!

• Options

Kate you are a very good girl, go to the top of the class. I have just arrived at work, here til 5.30 tonight so no running today for me. My body is telling me it needs a rest so i will see how i am tomorrow but if not i will definately go out monday night. Well happy running guys & gals & i will keep popping in & out today in between shifts of boredom to see how you are all doing. image

• Options

Well plans to go running this morning have gone awry as I started with a stomach upset - don't fancy an aggravated case of runners trots whilst out - might have to give it a miss until tomorrow image

• Options
    That's not good kate. Only had a case of trots while out running once & it is not very nice. That has got to be a runners worst nightmare image
  • Options
    I know - on my race last week, the quickest sprint i did was to the portaloos aftewards - as soon as i started running my high fibre cereal breakfast headed south!
  • Options

Everyone must be out running cause it is very quiet on here today

HEELLLLLLOOOOOOOO even got a big echo in the room image