Options

Brand new runner looking for companions..

Comments

• Options
    HitchHitch ✭✭✭

afternoon all. Tes it is quiet here today.

I am recovering from a 5 mile track session at the running club on Thursday night and an 8K race last night. No running for me today.

Kate - I know the feeling. Worse when you run at night as all the public loos are locked.

Ady - you are supposed to be working image

plod - never been on a horse so I don't know what stretching is involved. If you aren't stiff or heavy legged then it must be working.

peter - I am lazy too. I just do a bit of stretching before and after a run as I feel it helps.

strump - sounds like you get enough exercise at work. You don't neeed to run image. I just sit on my arse at work.

hello to everyone else

• Options

Grumpy, i am working but it just isn't very busy here today. I am a warehouse supervisor in the week but i help out in the call centre at weekends sometimes, it pays the bills. Been working here 20 yrs in september. It's good when it is quiet cause that means the customers must be happy image

Good on you for your runs, sounds like your getting better all the time.

• Options

Hi Guys n Gals

Aww thanks Ady about my race, god im so nervous about it, so silly. Where i have been training hard and now i feel im not because of work, im getting myself in a do dar and its not helping that i have so many people coming to watch next week and i feel under pressure because of that.

Grumpy, god what id do to sit on me arse at work lol........just finished a shift, would love to go for a quick run, im just to pooped and hubby needs to be fed before i go back tonight.........lol, we are like ships passing these days.

I do stretch or i cramp up, mainly my ham strings i stretch, but i admit im a bugger for not warming down.

Right, im off to cook pork chops before i get the sack from hubby.

Hope the tummy gets better very soon Kate

xxxxxxxxxx

• Options
    Strump i had my first race last week & i was also bricking it but i just loved the feeling of running with people once the race had started. We want to hear all about it tomorrow. Don't know why i call it a race, more like an extended fun run image Anyway just enjoy it gal.
  • Options

Went out this morning in a veritable gale! V v windy.

I seem to have a bit of a psychological block though - when i am out with other people or at races I keep going no problem but the minute i am out on my own I then feel the need to stop and walk.  Again today every half mile or so my internal chatterbox was saying "your legs feel like jelly - stop and walk for a bit". I'm almost talking myself into doing this - any ideas of how to overcome this?

• Options
    HitchHitch ✭✭✭
    kate - I used to have this problem. I now have a garmin so I can see how far I have travelled. It records each run so I know that if it shows I stopped I will be "caught out". This gives me the incentive to keep going when I am starting to lose interest.
  • Options

imageHi Kate, I had a block a few months ago & jelly legs  where I wasn't able to run beyond 15mins- I went to the gym and they built me up on the treadmill 1m then 1.5 then 2 then 2.5 and so on - nutill I was up to 3m then I went out on the road cos the treadmill was always busy - the other thing I was advised to try was to run later in the day - I used to run early morn but struggled andi have since heard & read that between 4pm & 7pm is the best time for running?? image Don't know if that helps - the other thing I do if I find myself thinking I would like a walk - I ask Do I really need to, what hurts, if I can't come up with anything I think ok I'll go to the nxgate, road, lampost or whatever marker and then maybe I'll stop but as I get there I move the goal posts- hope this makes sense for you - also I dig deep and think of others that struggle daily to even walk and that makes me push on 'cos I know whatever discomfort I may be feeling it will end & I will recover ,whereas some peolpe can't get away from their dicomfort.

imageSorry to go on but I really do hope it helps - I don't like to see you worry x

imagePlod managed 5m run in 54.13 so am chuffed very very very strong head wind - couldn't get a lift home so had to walk but took a short cut (only 3.5m ) !!!!!!!!!!

imageOooooooooh plod rambling will go & hope all you guys & gals can get a word in xx

• Options
    HitchHitch ✭✭✭

plod - well done on the 5 mile run. very impressive,

very good advice for kate too.

• Options

Thank you Plod!  I will try the "next lamp-post" technique. 

btw - I never think you ramble - you always have extremely good advice and experiences! 

• Options

imageGrumpyDB - ta very much -

imageKate - glad you think advice might help - just give it a go - everyone has different ideas and if the other guys & gals come up with something you feel may work better then go for it. x

imageMust admit feeling quite tired now so will do a short post & let you fab running chums butt in.TTFN Nessie

• Options
    Wow plod that was short. i have not been running since thursday night, my body was telling me to rest a few days but can't wait to get out again now. Runnng club on tuesday so might wait til then, then hopefully i will be able to run my socks off
  • Options

imageHa ha Ady - I'm still lurking, very sensible of you to listen to what your body is telling you - I bet you will be flying on Tues after your rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imagePost even shorterX

• Options
    Lets hope so plod. I seem to hit a brick wall. I can run 6 - 7 miles but can't seem to get passed that.
  • Options

Ady - you'll get there I know you will.

I seem to have developed an over-dependency on walk breaks.  Never used to take them on runs but now "talking" myself into taking them with increasing regularity.  Its almost as if I've lost the confidence in my ability to keep going - which is nuts as I managed my race last week no problems

I have clearly lost the plot.......

• Options

imageKate I know all about losing the plot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  imageWhat I've done to over come that is when I go out I say no walking till I have run for ??? what ever time you set yourself - then next time you go out say to yourself that you will run a minute or two more than last time and so on - take it slow and increase your time gradually - you know youv'e done it before so you WILL do it again.

imageI've heard lots of people talk about run 9mins walk 1min and so on but that doesn't appeal to me 'cos I know that if I walk I will have such a hard job to get going soooooooooo - the keep running a bit more & a bit more each time I go out seems to work - hope this helps.x

imageAdy what happened to my short post ??????????? Just wondered if you might try that running a bit further each time yougo out start off 1st run at 6miles then next run 6.1 or 6.2 and just increase your distance little by little and in two weeks or so you will be well past that 7mile barrier???

imageTTFN Nessie

• Options

Nah - don't fancy the 9min run 1 min walk thing either - its sooooooooo hard to get running again.

I am so wok-avoiding tonight, meant to be marking A level scripts online but keep looking at the forum tonight.  I have also stuffed my face today, just eaten my 3rd piece of cheesecake image - no wonder I am not skinny and slyph like.....oh well, back to the healthy eating tomorrow - my excuse is its only hubby's birthday once per year....

• Options

Morning guys n gals

Woohoo, no work til thursday!image, this might mean i can train at last lol, ive got loads to do today, but will be out tonight and i cant blinky wait,as i NEED to run.

Ady, im sure i'll be fine on sunday *gulps* and it is meant to be a fun run for a serious cause,but i think because my friends and family watched me through my cancer, this race is some thing of a mile stone for them as they never thought they would see the day i would be well again, let alone out running! Its only 5k for heavens sake, but the pressure im feeling under is awful.....and just to add to it i WANT a ciggie (gave them up), but today i so want one.

Plod, clever you, well done! And no, you dont rambleimage

Kate....3 bits? Tut tut.....oh gawd how yummy, lucky you. Happy birthday to your hubby.

Hope everyone has a great day, see you all later

Donna xxx

• Options
    HitchHitch ✭✭✭

Afternoon running fans.

I am supposed to be working from home today but I keep getting distracted. I am on my 5th cup of coffee. image

kate- glad to see you have uploaded a photo.  Please send my cheesecake in the post.image

strump - glad to hear you will be running today. Definitely no ciggies !!! Good luck with your run at the weekend. There is NO pressure. You are doing it for YOU not anyone else.

plod - we all look forward to your comments. However long / short they may be.image

ady - I am sure you will be fine on Tuesday after your rest period.  I haven't run since Friday and I can't wait to get out there again. I am hoping to go out tonight.

Right I had better do some work.....I think I will just make a coffee first.....

• Options

Hi All

I'm really enjoying this forum and sticking to a lot of advice you all have been giving me.

Was at the doctors on Friday and they think I have a stressed fracture, have to go for an x-ray.image  I can't believe this has happened as I have been doing so well and feel i will be put back to the beginning again. I was going to do a 10 mile run in August but don't know now if this will happen. Has anyone else suffered from this.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Viv image

• Options

Viv - poor you!  The main thing to do is follow the doctors advice and rest rest rest.  Don't even think about training as it will make your recovery take longer if you go out too soon.  You will lose some of your fitness but you will be able to build it back up quicker than it took to gain it in the first place.

Strunp - lucky you being off work, enjoy your days off.  You must need the rest - you seem to have been permanently at work over your last few posts.

Grump - the photo is the only one of me I have on the laptop -think it looks ok compared to most photos of me.  Erm about that cheesecake, afraid I finished it off with that 3rd piece yesterday but it was very yummy!

Feeling very virtuous today, I got up at 6.15am, drove to work, did a 3 mile run, showered and breakfasted ready to start teaching at 8.30am.  It felt good and I didn't take any walk breaks!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Options

imageStrump  - GO Girl Go  - you know nerves are funny things and every one has different ways to deal with them - your family & friends wont care how well/bad what ever you do -THE FACT that YOU are here is all that matters - so relax soak up the atmosphere and enjoy, do that for yourself & for us 'cos we are with you every step of your 5k - if it was poss for us to literally be there then you know we would. x

imageAhhhhhh Viv, poor you , please, please please dont think I don't knock the Docs in any way but if it is at all possible for you to see pyhsio then do, I went to see one  a wee while back when I had a few strains etc and she was an avid runner & horse woman ( these are my two sports, well the riding is my thing and the running ...well ..... I'm trying?????)   imageWhat I'm trying to say is because she did these activities to a greater standard than me she really understood the types of strains, injurys etc and was able to put me on the right path to recovery very very quickly, without stopping running - I just had to run in the swimming pool for a while - looked a right tit but did I care ????  Hope this may help you.x

imagewhoa here goes Plod, spk soon take care guys & gals

• Options
    Ahhh plod - you are so wise.....
  • Options

imageHey Kate - old age is sometimes useful !!!!!! not always wise but have been through a few experiences and hope that I may help if I tell you all about them, x

imageOhhhhhhhh another short post from Plod ??????

• Options

Nice to put a name to a face kate & well done on getting over your walking fetish image

Have a nice rest strump, i think you deserve it & enjoy your running.

Sorry to hear about your injury viv. Hope it heals very soon image

Back to the club tomorrow. Hopefully i will do a longer run cause i feel a lot fresher after the rest. I went on "smartcoach" on this site & it has designed a training program from 6 miles to half marathon in 16 weeks so going to give it a go. Well worth looking at image

• Options

Ady - had a brief look at Smartcoach - thanks for the tip.  Might give it a bit of a go as I think my training is a bit aimless.  Good luck in your run today - I'm sure you'll be well rested for it! image

A guy at work whose ex-army and in the TA has volunteered to do some speedwork bleep tests with a couple of us at work next week which should be interesting and I've also found a company that does circuit classes in a park near me - might give them a go for some different cross-training.

Going to go for a swim tonight then back to the dreaded marking.  Tomorrow plan on doing the early morning run thing. image

Plod - please don't resort to flimsy short posts - I look forward to your verbal diaorrhea and outpourings.... image

• Options

Morning all

Oh Viv you poor thing, nasty. I have no end of problems with shin splint so i kinda know how your feeling, am awaiting on a bone scan re my shins for the same reason as you. Managed a run yesterday, but after 20 mins the shins wouldnt let me run any further, so i was gutted. Had seen my physio and he wasnt happy with my shins, says they have become 'lumpy' again....so its not looking good for sunday. I didnt wear my compression socks, but will on sundays run....so fingers crossed guys n gals.

Plod, very wise words and i also love your outpourings, so dont stop please, your posts are funny and hold wise words.

Grumpy, nope didnt have that fag.

Kate, it does seem like ive been at work constantly doesnt it.....worse still.....im working a double shift on saturday (arent we meant to rest up a bit before a run)? Oops, bad planning on my part.

Thanks Ady hun

xxxxxxxxxxxx

• Options

Hi Guys

Thanks so much for all your help, I'm stayin positiveimage.

Viv 

• Options

just wanted your advise guys....

I want to enter my first 5k end of july, its in bedford park, beds (where i currenty run), but on the online entry it says "2 fast laps"....I am unsure if I'll be able to run the whole amount, as I am only on 5+2 at the moment, due to go to 8+2 next thursday, and I certainly wont be "fast", so shall I steer clear of this one,  as its not really for total beginners?

Dont want to look a prat!

cheers!

ann-marie

• Options

sorry I meant to say I start 8+2 this thursday!!!!

ann-marie

• Options

Hi Ann-Marie

Is your 5k a charity run or an actual race? I dont know all the running 'talk', but what exactly is 'fast laps'? Your fast could be some one elses jog or a flat out athlete sprint..... unless im reading your post wrong, surely they have to indicate what 'fast' is? It doesnt take alot to confuse me as you can tell lol. Good luck with it xx