Options

Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭

hi yall

just thought i'd let you know that i am playing in this one as well image 

for the first time since it was known as the brampton to carlisle run, how long ago was that? image

• Options

Afternoon folks!

Hope all is well with everyone and a good weekend is being had by all!

I had an absolutely cracking training run yesterday morning. 5 miles at 'intended race pace'. The last few race pace runs I've done have been nearly there but not quite but it all seemed to come together quite nicely.

This mornings 10 miler was a 'minor disaster' shall we say! Couldnt seem to get into it at all and then at about mile 8 I suddenly found myself flat on my face. I had 'proper' hit the deck!! Anyway, I finished my run but I know think a visit to casualty might be imminent. My left hand isnt looking too clever and my left knee is really quite badly grazed and swollen. Its also very hot to the touch so I have got a cold compress on it to try and ease it a bit.

• Options
    MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

Morgs - How the hell did that happen?  Too much gin on your cornflakes pehaps?

You better get sorted for this race - it wouldn't be the same without you image

• Options

Lol! Gin. Thats me rumbled image 

Actually I havent got a clue. One minute I was trotting along, and then I wasnt image 

• Options
    MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Sounds very much like Gin to meimage
  • Options

Well I woke up this morning with an excrutiatingly sore left hand and wrist and my knee wasnt much better either so I thought it best to get myself checked out.

Had both limbs x-rayed and I'm pleased to report that other than some soft tissue damage on my hand and some nasty bruising elsewhere, all is well! image

I have a rather 'attractive' hand and wrist brace and have been advised to keep up the icing (hoorah another cling film moment!) and the ibuprofen.

So panic over!

• Options

Oh dear Morgs - so sorry to hear about your misfortune! You make sure you take it nice and easy now and get yourself back into shape as and when you can!!

Mick - Thanks for letting me know that XL Man is in fine fettle - let's hope he re-joins us at some stage!

Millsy - good luck with your Langdale expedition!!!!

• Options

Boycs...couldnt have happened at a 'better' time image Going to rest it now till Sunday.

Mick if you are lurking, I will see you then.

• Options
    Mick...bummer Nissan is cancelled. Was really looking forward to it. Are you doing the Jelly Tea 10 Miler next Sunday? If you are, I will see you there. If not, email me through the message thingy on here and I will sort the travel details for Carlisle with you.
  • Options

Hi team,

Check out the new website www.greatcumbrianrun.org I have had so many problems with the web for reasons out of my control this year. I hope we have eventually got there.

The route risk assessment is now complete with 150 plus points on it!! wow

I need 20 police and 50 plus marshals - if you know any volunteers let me know!!

We are over the 1000 mark and still on target for 2000 runners this year.

I am excited but also nervous because so much to do. No one would believe it if i told them.

Regular updates now for 6 weeks..

Mike James

Race Director

• Options

Obviously so excited that you can't sleep Mike!

I'm sure that you and your team will cope.  Good Luck.

• Options
    I'm doing it! Will be my first half marathon, in my home town too! Really getting excited now, able to run 8 miles without a twinge or being out of puff so with six weeks to go I can't wait! Are there any more of Robbie's Runners on here?!

Hi Mike James - wanted to say thanks for a great day's entertainment and fun at the Carlisle Run Day you helped organise! I came second in the 3 mile challenge and now have a lovely cup on the mantlepiece from it lol!

Good luck for race day everyone!
  • Options

Afternoon all

Mike-Many thanks for the up date.Much appreciated.

Morgs-I'll not be at the jelly t-race.I'll drop you a line about travel details to Carlisle.

Back on the tarmac now after my calf injury.Probably lost 5/6 weeks worth of training.Building up again now for GNR and GCR.Got one eye on Luton marathon in December.image

• Options

Hello Mike, hope you are well. Looking foraward to this event. I've forgone my local half at Jed to come down and support the GCR as your event is much, much better!

I've asked before but could someone please tell me when the Brampton to Carlisle 10 mile race is and where do I enter about? Cheers

• Options

Capt - The answer is Saturday 15 November.  I tried to do a link for you but failed miserably.  Go to the top of this page and choose the 'Events' tab rather than the 'Forums' tab, then search under  November, 10 mile, Cumbria, you'll find it.  There is also a forum thread but it isn't quite as busy as this one.  Entries are probably postal rather than on-line but there is obviously plenty of time.  Hopefully see you at both events.

• Options

Contact keitha@carlisle.gov.uk for your Brampton application form

Mike

• Options
    Thanks Millsy and Mike. I see the event is on a Saturday lunchtime, which is not an ideal time for me. Saturdays are normally spent ferrying my kids around their various activities - Sunday mornings is my time! I doubt I will make this one but will see nearer the time.
  • Options
    Mike, are we having a lap of the sheepmount at the finish, like we did in 2006 or is it just the short sthretch, like we did last year?  - Please say the first option, it was like running with springs on my feet.
  • Options
    That should have said stretch!
  • Options
    No!  Let's have a full lap.  I love finishing with a spring in my step image
  • Options

Millsy, a full lap would make it a little problematic when it comes to placing the chip timing mats  image

• Options
    Morph - You're probably right.  To be honest I cannot remember what happened last year but the last race that I did finishing on the track, we ran approximately 250m on the track to the finish line.  How's that for a compromise?  And by the way, your piccy is fantastic image 
  • Options
    I've entered this race. Also entered last year but then got injured, which led to a 6 month break from running. Hoping the GCR isn't the jinx. Haven't done much distance recently (/ever) as I have (and still am) preparing for a triathlon on Sept 28th, but hope to get in a few long 'uns before then. Really excited about this though, still haven't done a half mara and this sounds one of the finest.
  • Options

Bad day... as I have come to the (inevitable) conclusion that I won't be able to run this year! image My back has prevented me from doing enough training to have a realistioc chance of running.

The only positive is that I will be available for marshalling so I can still 'take part' in a small but important way.

Good luck to everyone else, I hope your training is going to plan.

• Options
    The GCR curse strikes again!

Bad luck, aljodo, very good of you to marshall instead - hope your recovery goes well.
  • Options

That's not good aljodo, especially as this is a new course which seems interesting, as previously discussed.  I'm sure Mike will be delighted to have you on board, and if you can bring 49 friends along all his problems will be solved.......................................well one of them will!

• Options

hello everyone,

after the 'challenge' of the Langdale Marathon- I am now looking ahead to the GCR. My first!

Keswick is my closest half. I did the 10k in the summer and the stadium finish was great

what times is anyone aiming for? and what times have you done before?

Siobhan

• Options
    It's my first HM, Siobhan, so no experience to go on other than training runs. If it's flat-ish then I'd hope to get under 1hr55, but will know more once I've got nearer to the distance in training.

How did you get on in the Langdale and what are you hoping for here?
  • Options

I am 'hopeful' of getting under (just!) 1hr 50

I did langdale in 4hr 26, but them was serious hills-

I did Keswick in may in  just under 2hrs, it has some hills too- I am looking forward to a flat(ish) run out , and I s'pose you've got to aim somewhere. I did the coniston 14 as my first half and I surprised myself so much I signed up for windermere. I only ran 8miles before coniston. So I'd expect you'd do really well on a proper training schedule. what milage are you up to now?