Options

2009 Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options

Runners World Forumites Meeting Place

This year the RW Forumites Meeting place will take the form of the Halstead Road Runners gazebo. You really can't miss it, it's bright yellow. There will also be a "RW Forumites Sign" sign pinned to it.

• Options

8 Hi Five energy gels + 1/2 a packet of fruit pastilles. But I do have to force myself to take the gels early in the run - leave it too late and I get stomach probelms (not helped last year by eating a banana on the start line!).

Haven't pursued the mouse yet - no further signs: beginning to think I imagined it . . . .

Looks like it's going to be another warm one.

• Options
    Ultraflynn - did you ever receive my email query via RW earlier this week? I do know the answer to the query now so i'm not punting for a reply.
    Hope to see you all Sunday morning.
  • Options
    I Have SIS gels, water and SIS energy drink - made up from powder.
  • Options

Flynn - did I read a pacing group would be in attendance?

• Options

6 SIS Gels.

How are you spending Saturday?

Apart from walking the dog & a tiny amount of ironing I will be doing sod all! 

• Options

I have got a party of 25 coming over to celebrate my mother-in-law's 70th birthday! A big family bash, and they are all camping overnight!

We are going to get the canoes out, and hopefully a big camp fire to keep us all warm and a BBQ for the veggie kebabs. Not the most restful, pre-race day?

• Options
    Getting really edgy now. It's been nearly 6 years since my last marathon which took me 10:33 (ok it was the Comrades Marathon). Hopefully the weather forecast stays as is and we should all have a good chance at a really good run. Personally aiming for 3:40 but will have to see about those undulations... Good luck everyone.
  • Options
    wild@heart. I sympathise. We are preparing for a visit from 3 (including one very small child!) arriving at Stansted on Saturday evening.  That's enough. No way could we manage 25. Why not bring your party along on Sunday and you can then have your own personalised water station!  It looks like I'll be having yet another late Saturday night before a run. I haven't managed to do anything since last Sunday's Dorset Marathon and precious little before that  going back to the Black Dog Marathon on 19 April. I don't know why I put myself through all this. I would do better to do a smidgeon of " training" and I would save myself a great deal of grief!  I finished the last two runs in 5:06 and 5:07 respectively. Is it hoping for too much for a 4:59 finish? We'll see.  At least I know what to expect. I have been round 14 times already.
  • Options

5 Gels,  5 Bottles of Lucozade, 400mg Ibuprofen.

Not got my race number yet, although I did only enter at the beginning of last week! Running my second marathon and hoping to knock an hour of my last time!

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Peter - are you going to join me, Hippo, Shades etc for our sub 5hr marathon?
  • Options
    I'm doing 9 miles on saturday.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I am doing zero miles tomorrow.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Wow, so many posts to catch up on!I am going to register on the day but would like to put my drinks in the crates - should I remember to bring a big black marker pen as I obviously haven't got any clue what my race number will be, i. e. can't preprint any labels?In terms of race nutrition: 2 Immodium, 4 SIS gels and 4 bottles of SIS GO electrolyte

My plans for tomorrow:  eat, rest, eat some more, rest some more, etc., then try to sleep which won’t be easy as race nerves are setting in already. 

wild@heart: you scare me with that mega party the day before!  At least it’ll distract you from pondering too much about the race

Good luck everyone - I'm going to try & put my name on the list in a separate post.  Let's hope it works!

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

The list - hope it works ...

2:59 = CharlieW (if those "undulations" don't kill me)
    3:10 = ChrisThePuma #213
    3:14 = RFJ
    3.15 = Jimo (glorious failure beckons again)
    3.30 = barrythejackal
    3.30 = George Farrants #6
    3:45 = Woodle's Wife, so she can get my tea ready for my finish
    3:50 = ORB #23
    3:53 = schmidtinator (ideally a GFA 3:45 but I respect the undulations)
    4:00 = The Woodle
    4:28 = Sir Cowarde de Custarde
    4:30 = SBF # 339
    4:30 = Ultra Kaz (will aim for 4.30 but know it'll be more like 5)
    4.30 = Eastham75 (thinking of going off like a rocket so that i can get a meal in the pub this time;)
    4:45 = Tryffydog #10
    4:45 = Andrew Johnson #217
    5:00 = Tracey G
  • Options

Tracey

Not sure I can keep up!

I am somewhat erratic. Walking, (running ever so slowly), probably arguing with my wife, who should be on the Witham Water Station @ 6 and 18 miles. I'm not an even paced runner to put it mildly. I tend to push on when I can (which is rarely) and slow down when I can't.  Hippo was 20 minutes ahead of me last week and Shades was way ahead of me as well. I might act as an incentive for you gals . You'll be so keen to run away from me (and my complaining about how red wine slows you down) you'll probably all get pbs!

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Peter - Hippo is pacing me to a Sub 5hr marathon on Sunday, so you are welcome to join us. Maybe we can slow your running down and stop you walking on the first lap at least.
  • Options

The list ... hope it works image

2:59 = CharlieW (if those "undulations" don't kill me)
    3:10 = ChrisThePuma #213
    3:14 = RFJ
    3.15 = Jimo (glorious failure beckons again)
    3.30 = barrythejackal
    3.30 = George Farrants #6
    3:45 = Woodle's Wife, so she can get my tea ready for my finish
    3:50 = ORB #23
    3:53 = schmidtinator (ideally a GFA 3:45 but I respect the undulations)
    4:00 = The Woodle

4:20 = wild@heart (if I don't stop for too many Jelly Babies)
    4:28 = Sir Cowarde de Custarde
    4:30 = SBF # 339
    4:30 = Ultra Kaz (will aim for 4.30 but know it'll be more like 5)
    4.30 = Eastham75 (thinking of going off like a rocket so that i can get a meal in the pub this time;)
    4:45 = Tryffydog #10
    4:45 = Andrew Johnson #217
    5:00 = Tracey G

• Options

Tracey

I don't think you appreciate the challenge. I was walking after a minute last Sunday......... as soon as the first hill appeared. I usually manage 3 minutes running down the hill at Halstead before walking up the first climb!  I did that even when I had my 3:29 pb at Halstead a good few years ago, so it's a tradition!  I reckon I'll be bobbing up in front of your group and falling behind until I can't manage to keep going and then you lot will disappear into the distance.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Peter,

Maybe you can join us here and there on Sunday. The wind is meant to drop on Sunday, lets hope it does.

• Options

Peter - anyone with a trophy shelf full of all the marathons you have completed must be doing something right! image 

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the wind does drop down, because it it still blowing a hoolie out there!

• Options

wild@heart. All my medals are in the bottom of a cupboard!  I never came to terms with the fact that I played football for 30 odd years and won three medals that I still treasure. I had been running four weeks and I had four medals. They didn't seem to be the same currency.  I was once first over 50... in the Isle of Man Marathon..... and had to endure the heckles of around five over 60's who had finished before me as I went up to receive my trophy!!! I used to run a marathon  at least every week, sometimes more often than that, and got into the habit of not doing anything between runs. I didn't have to and in any case didn't have the time as I had a busy job and a daily three hour commute. I don't run so often now but I still do nothing in between even though I now have the time. Hence the problem. And I'm now a wee bit older than I used to be. I'm a bit like the fisherman describing the fish that got away. The older I get the faster I used to be! I don't want wind, rain or cold on Sunday.  I was happy with last year's heatwave as I like the sun but it's other people's turn this year to get their favourite weather.  

• Options
    Is anyone esle getting a little fed up with pasta? I'm just finishing a bowl of Tesco spinach and ricotta tortellini with some tomato and chianti sauce. Normally (i.e. once or twice a week) I would lap up this type of meal but, having eaten pasta for dinner for the last three days and nights I really am getting to the point of no return. Can anyone suggest something different for tomorrow night's pre race feed?
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Peter - I am so looking forward to meeting you as you sound so interesting. Plus as there is an MP3 ban at this race you can take my mind of the pain image
  • Options
    im fed up of pasta, having pizza tonight image
  • Options
    Tracey what time are you geting there? I will defo come say hi, number 18
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    icclesuez - knowning my husband not before 9am. Are you carbo loading tonight?
  • Options

Yep - pizza tonight, had fish pie for lunch!

Pasta twice tommorow - you?

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I had spag bol tonight. Spag bol again tomorrow night, not sure what I will be having for lunch thou, maybe bacon sandwich image