Options

2009 Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options

Just hopping in to say "Go for it!" - I am really looking forwards to tomorrow.. scared and nervous but really want to just take this steady and enjoy the whole thing - no big PB's for me as my fitness is no where near PB standards yet but I do feel ok and ready for this - that's after of course the taper week up's and down's urgh I had forgotten how bad that can be!

Hopefully get to say Hi to a few of you tomorrow but in the main just want to say go get your goals for this one!

x

• Options
    TheraThera ✭✭✭

I feel way too sensible for eating shepard's pie last night.....rethink for tonights meal image

Happy eating everyone....image

• Options

Hi All,

A last minute joiner to this thread, but really looking forward to it after a shocking London and having to miss Halstead last year through injury.  Good luck and happy carbo loading!!

• Options
    CharlieW wrote (see)

> Go on then tiptree, how bad are the "undulations"?

Well - I didn't describe them since one's impression of such matters is so subjective. People who have run them find these undulations to be no problem at all.

The strongest impression I took from the recce was how leafy, green and pretty the route is. Very narrow roads in some places, it may be difficult for cars to get through, and difficult to find sensible parking spaces out along the route.

I found a thread from last year discussing pace groups, with persons identified as pacers. Is anything similar going to happen this year?

• Options

Last night's Guinness was wonderful. 

Am I the only one having Cocoa Pops for breakfast? I can't get the hang of carbs. Working out the right mixture and dose seems to require  a knowledge of both science and maths, neither of which were my forte.  I recall that when I achieved my pb I had a venison stew the night before and a full cooked breakfast two hours before the run.  Maybe I should repeat that recipe?

Thanks Flynn for the exposure. I had already mentioned to you when I saw that pic on the HRR website  that I couldn't recall a sustained period of running in last year's run...... but I can always manage a few yards' jogging when I see a camera out there!

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Peter - I had branflakes this morning image

• Options
    I'm sticking to squash during the race. It was either the Lucozade sport or dehydration that led to bad stitch in the last couple of miles at FLM.
  • Options
    Pace groups tend to form themselves at the meeting point - last year I was in a group of 3 4:00 wannabes - we lost the first at 8 miles, then the other guy took off, to be passed by me at halfway. I then blew up at 16. I think I was first home in 4:25.So I think you could describe that as a 'nominal' pace group. Good fun, nonetheless. Just identify who else wants to finish at around your pace and see what happens. The list is a good place to start.
  • Options

For the last few marathons, apart from the last one, I have had a jam doughnut just before bed the night before, then another one 20 minutes before the start of the race. I said it gave me energy and kept me going for the duration. Unfortunately for me, I didn't have doughnuts before last week's marathon, and I had more energy than I have had for a long time, for the whole of the run. That means, if I go back to the doughnut routine, it is just because I am a pig! Therefore, I will repeat last week's routine of pasta for dinner and rice pudding with jam for desert. (I have always got chocolate in my bum bag though)!!

Happy eating everyone.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    No Blue Legs - how fast do I have to run to get chocolate of you image
  • Options

Tracey - not very! Hippo was following me last week, and telling everyone what was in my bum bag - then she overtook me and disappeared in the distance! I will not be too far in front of you, and I promise that if you catch me up, you can have my chocolate! Me thinks you might get a pb tomorrow!

Peter Burns - we know each other quite well, but you don't know me as a forumite. I will reveal my true identity to you on Sunday if I see you. Clue - on last weeks photos, we are chatting at the start......

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    NBL - I am not thinking about pb. Are you doing Beachy?
  • Options

I can't handle the suspense. I don't know the identity of all you termites! I don't go in for all this cloak and dagger stuff. I go by my real name. But then you run the risk of being over exposed if someone has an old photo (see above) Now are you GL PH or DM?   Must have a look at the Dorset photos again. I only figured in the opening scenes!

• Options

Tracey - not sure about Beachy yet - would like to do it though. It would be number 101.

Peter - nope, none of the above. Us girlies have to stay anonymous so we don't get stalked! I had an unwanted email once through this RW forum and had to remove my emailing facility.

See you on Sunday.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    NBL - was that meant to be No10 or No11?
  • Options

Morning all.  Hope everyone's ok.  Still laptopless - using netbook which is really slow and mucho annoying hence my  not being around much.  Work pc doesn't seem to like the speed (or lack of) that RW talks to it so hard to post from there (not that I'm supposed to use t'internet at work anyway!).

Knee's still a bit dodgy - trainer thinks it's the medial ligament.  Nowhere near as uncomfortable as last week so hopefully it'll hold out tomoz.  Not run since last weekend so hoping the rest has helped.  

• Options

tiptree: We can sort out pacing groups at the RW Forumites meeting point. What normally happens is that we just nominate someone who is going to running a particular pace and then make the introductions so that people know who to stick with. We've never had formal pacers.

PETER BURNS 8: Glad you liked the photo.

Chris Beazeley: Get yourself some electrolyte mix and that will sort out the dehydration. I drink Nuun all the way round with gels and bars for the carbs. Carbohydrate drink is all very well but carbs in your water reduce the stomachs absorbancy of liquid. Best thing is to keep nutrition and hydration as seperate as you can.

• Options
    Didn't know you had pace groups Flynn.  Cool
  • Options
    TheraThera ✭✭✭

Peter - I go by my name as well....nice and easy...

Having done long runs with sports drinks and with water, I found that the water worked better (also with the carbo gels). The stomach did not feel right drinking sports drinks for that long and the carbo gels got sickly when washed down with them.

UltraK - good luck with the knee. Hopefully you will be ok for tomorrow.

See you all tomorrow!!!image

• Options

Ultra Kazzaaaaah!!: All we do is find people at the RW Meeting Point who are running a particular pace and group them together so they know what they look like.

I'm not going to be available to organise this though this year because I'm running the ultra. Anyone want to put their hand up and offer to make the introductions?

• Options

Old Blue Eyes / No Bloomin' Legs/One Blue Leg, whatever.  You must be CAP or PB. You can't be MS as she isn't running Sunday... or at least she is not in the list of runners. This is diverting me from my mental preparation for tomorrow's run. Never mind, it's almost time for Elevenses - a cup of milky coffee and a nice cream cake. Naughty but nice. Am I doing the right thing? Probably not!

• Options

I go by my name too

Hippo

BTW, one blue leg beat me by 7 seconds at tlast weeks marathon!

• Options

Nice pic pete

I dont bother carb loading, or i would be the size of a small house

I tend to have a fish and potato based meal the night before(NOT pasta), then sneak down a few scotch pancakes for brekky, they slip down easily before i notice I have eaten(I get v nervous the morning before)

Half of it is superstition i reckon

I once pbed after a meal in a fish restaurant , so thats that

Fish the night before

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Hippo - so fish and chips tonight sounds good image
  • Options

Thanks PH.  But your clue is only slightly helpful in that two ladies finished 7 seconds ahead of you. Using my detective skills I have now had another look at last week's photos and I guess it must be CAP. This intrigue is killing me. I'm dipping out and going for my cake (an eclaire, yum yum) and coffee. I am sorry to read of your accident after your meal in the fish restaurant. I hope you dried out.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Peter - the elcaire and coffee does sound ymmy image
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

The powers of detcetive work Peter, enjoy your cream cake mmmmm

I will eat what takes my fancy tonight, but muct keep away from spicy food. (Esp Cajun spice)

• Options

ok

My real name

is Ruth

and my time last week was about 4.36

LOL at the fish ressie joke

i have just spat my tea all over the screen

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Well you don't need my name image
  • Options
    Anybody got any idea what the approx first and last times will be for the Ultra ?