Options

2009 Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options

ooo yum!

Weather is looking good, starting think maybe shorts are in order! And sun cream!

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

I am hoping to wear my club vest on Sunday. Will have to dig out the suncream.

• Options

I don't particularly like pasta and I tend not to have things I don't like, however good they might be for me. So definitely no salad either. I had a Chinese last night and it's fish and chips tonight. Tomorrow will be lamb and two veg. Roast potatoes, wonderful! I know, lamb is fatty and it will lie on my stomach and it won't be digestible. But I like lamb so BAAAH! The red wine will relax me.

Tracey . You obviously haven't met me. The other back markers will put you right..... ask Hippo or Shades. 

• Options

Peter - I am with you on the sun image - I have only done two marathons, but did my best time last year at Halstead in the heatwave!

I have been training harder this year, but my times have got slower! So, on Sunday I think I am going to take a leaf out of Zen Dog's book - who said 'He knows not where he is going; for the oceans will decide; it's not the destination; it's the glory of the ride!'

Look forward to meeting you and all the other forumitesimage

• Options

Just thought I'd put in a quick greeting!

We're now installed in the hotel, with free broadband! What a luxury. Reading through all this week's posts, nice to hear all the chatter. RE: pasta - what are your thoughts on bulgur, cous-cous? Not that I have any choice at the moment, hotel and restaurant food all this week.

Driven round the course a bit this afternoon, very pretty, very leafy. Now I know what an "undulation" is!

• Options
    weather.co.uk is still saying light rain with a high of 16c and winds of 14kmph from the northeast for Sunday.
  • Options
    Cous Cous.... semolina Ugh!  So, it's probably really good for you!
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    just have Paella mmmmmmmm very nice and had a pasta salad for lunch....
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Go on then tiptree, how bad are the "undulations"?!

The weather.co.uk thing is showing 'hour by hour' now, only 20% chance of rain (per hour?), 8mph ish wind, up to 15 degC by 13:00.  I would prefer complete calm, but pretty good really!

• Options
    Paella.  Now we're talking. ......... with chicken and chorizo, please.  Not too fond of the rabbit though!
  • Options

Rabbit paella with crunchy peanut butter, anyone?

No?   I thought not!

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Peter - Can I come round for dinner tomorrow? I love roast lamb image  Is chocolate alright for carbo loading?
  • Options

Tracey

You are welcome to come round for lamb but we won't  be sitting down till late as our visitors won't arrive till around 8pm. You would also have to keep up with the wine quaffing.  I don't know about chocolate and carbo loading but I absolutely love the stuff and am a member of Chocaholics. I don't do anything right. It's no wonder I can't run!

• Options

CharlieW, Halstead isn't hilly, nothing to worry about, few small bumps in the road. Last year i did 4.18 at Monaco (one huge hill), 4.16 at london (flat) and 4.17 at Halstead.

• Options

Peanuts are in my personal post-run recovery goodie bag. If the mouse doesn't get them first.

I'm surprised you can move, let alone run after all that, PB8!

Last time I looked, there are no carbs to speak of in choccie. My wife just bought home a chocccie cake - will definitely attack it later. Best place for it, though, is after you've eaten everything else in your post-run goodie bag.

I'm just carbo-loading today, back to normal tomorrow, otherwise I won't be able to use the gels.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Peter - maybe that is why I am fat, too much chocolate image I think we might have roast lamb Sunday evening if I can be bothered to cook it.
  • Options

Tracey

Surely your other half will do the cooking Sunday evening?  But the lamb presents no difficulty; it's the preparation of the veg that takes the time. Got to go. Pub time. It's been a good week footie wise so I'm looking forward to the banter!

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Peter - Bernard cook dinner you are having a laugh. We might ended up getting a take away pizza again like after FLM.
  • Options

I am knackerd, a 13 hour day today and about 170 miles driving

but looking forward to this

Lamb curry and chips for us on sunday

(home made)

• Options
    Pete Burns in full flow:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff132/HRRmedia2007/2008HEM/IMG_4452.jpg

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Peter - you are not that slow there are runners behind you image

Hippo - Party time image

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Ooh this thread's moving quickly. Looks like I shall have to stock up on supplies tomorrow and choose which to take with me.

Also tired of pasta so probably fish & chips tomorrow night as that makes me sleepy as well, don't want nerves keeping me awake.

Weather is warming up worryingly. 

• Options

I had the fish and chips tonight; maybe not the best runner's food, but they do say you should eat what you're used to.

I also seem to be on dinner cooking duties for Sunday - roast duck, after our fridge-freezer decided the two halves ought to swap roles leading to frozen milk and extremely soft-scoop ice cream.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Lamb Curry mmmmmm but defo for afters.......... and not before
  • Options
    Curry for me tonight and pasta in bucket loads tomorrow.
  • Options
    Had a chicken jalfrezi tonight and about to have pasta choice for supper. Tomorrow lunchtime it'll be tortellini then the drive up to the Travelodge to see what is on the menu there.
  • Options
    Fish and Chips seams to be the food of choice! I had that tonight too... Plenty of pasta tomorrow, maybe washed down with a glass of wine in the evening to relax.
  • Options
    I'm thinking porridge tomorrow morning with a little honey and sultanas. Porridge again for lunch with a banana and some strawberries, by which time I might just be able to face some more pasta tomorrow night. I swear I'll not be touching any pasta for quite a while afterwards though!
  • Options

I take a slightly different approach for the carb loading. A litre a day of SIS Energy at a higher than normal concentration, plus a can of Nurishment. The SIS, at 80g per 500ml, gives 75g of carbs, so that's 150g, and the Nurishment tops that to around 200g of carbs with extra protein and some vitamins. Sorted! Then I can follow a reasonably normal diet otherwise for the three days, but do try to keep it healthy and plenty of fruit / veg.

As for plans, we're going to a wedding all day tomorrow! Can't wait though.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Any good eateries in Halstead.................... As will be in the travel lodge at Dumnow and will only eat here if I have too...