Options

2009 Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options

Not quite! I'm just off now! See you all tomorrow and Good Luck!

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    Last! Night all.image
  • Options

First up? Breakfast time!

• Options
    good luck everyone - see you in a bit! image
  • Options

Well, the weather hear in Essex is lovely. Cool , no breeze, sun is out and not a cloud in the sky. It's a perfect day. A fairly typical Halstead & Essex Marathon day.

I'm just eating a massive bowl of All-Bran which will be the last thing I eat before the race. Washed down with a pint of Nuun electrolyte replacement drink.

On behalf of the organising committee I'd like to wish you all the best for todays race. Enjoy yourselves and have a great run.

• Options
    Good luck all - hope everyone has a good one!
  • Options
    Good luck everyone, i'm hoping for 30°C by 10am.... image
  • Options

Well done Helly D. Last of the night owls.......... and Andy, first lark!  As Flynn said, it is a gorgeous day here in ESSEX. It makes me glad I have something to get up for! I've just had a bowl of Special K with berries. Not bad. If it works I might try it again. Have a good one everyone.

• Options

Morning all

Peter - Mr Dog will be on the stretch we cover 4 times & has instuctions to keep you informed!

Been dog walking, felt a little warm out there 

Good luck everyone, see you there 

• Options
    So that's what its like to run a marathon ?

Congratulations to everyone who finished.

The hill at 8-10/ 19-20 was a killer. The heat was a killer. I loved the lady that was handing out oranges, just what I needed.

If anyone passed a hobbling man trying in vain to stretch out his calves from 24miles onwards, its was me. Hobbled across the line in 3:16, was impressed by the guy who was checking over the finishers..

Stephen

• Options

DNF.

All I can say is that my niggle niggled.

• Options

Good conditions for both races. Unfortunately I was having a bad one and decided to shorten my run and did the marathon instead of the ultra. The legs were feeling heavy as early as 14 miles, not what you want when there are 16 to go.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Whatta brilliant race and such a beautiul course.  No wonder that this is such a high scorer on the race calendar.  Would do it again in a flash.  I felt really good throughout but my legs were kinda grumpy as I'd just run another marathon 2 weeks ago and wouldn't turn as fast as I needed them to.  So, I had to forget about any PBs and just went with the flow.  Managed 4:01 something which I'm quite happy with. At least it isn't a PW!

This is the first race that I enjoyed from start to finish.  Am now sorely tempted to ditch London 2010 (if I get that is) and do Halstead instead.  I'm such a country bumpkin and quite tired of overcrowded city races.

• Options
    Great race - but tough with all those hills! Did a marathon last October and lost a big toenail as a result. It had just grown back to normal size and looking at it now I think I can say bye bye again. Oh well, small sacrifice! Well done everyone.
  • Options

Hi everyone.

Nice to put names to faces. The race was, as ever, expertly organised, and it was a joy to take part . On the debit side, my own personal performance was abysmal, with my worst finishing time of the year (5:19) (among a host of bad finishing times). But my record of having finished all 15 Halstead Marathons is secured. I might have to consider getting out the Zimmer Frame next year for Number 16!!!  Do they do a version on the lines of the Runner's Baby Buggy, I wonder?

Now I can relax. I've already had a couple of cool beers from the fridge and we are shortly out with our visitors to the local Chinese restaurant.  And, to top it all the Mighty Reds won 2:0 to make my day. We now need 4 points out of a possible 12  to secure the Premiership.  Are you happy Mr Traffic Dog? 

Next stop Newry in two weeks time. Training starts tomorrow....... but then maybe not!

• Options
    Correction  to the above - 4 points from nine needed. Sorry Mr. Dog. But I still think we can enjoy our evening. I see Chelsea are running away with the game against the Gooners - 3-0 up!
  • Options

Mr Dog doesn't know the result yet! He could only listen to half time & then had to race me back to the finish. He is now going to watch MOTD tonight. He will be happy though.

I PB'd but only by a couple of minutes, oh well would have felt worse if it was a 2 mins PW.

I really enjoyed today, met & chatted to lots of lovely people on the way round and I agree that the day was perfectly organised.

Have a relaxing evening everyone!

• Options
    TheraThera ✭✭✭

Wow what a day! That was my first marathon and it was a lot of hard work. Unfortunately my knee gave way at 21 miles so I had to walk/run for a whil. Still managed to finish 4:20 so can't grumble at that. Now I am at home waiting for my chinese to arrive.....image

I thoroughly enjoyed the day. All the supporters were fantastic and it helped a lot! Great race...well done to the organisersimageimage

• Options

Course pb by some 15 mins but that doesn't say much as last year I was over an hour off pb pace!  Still the knee held up reasonably well.

Lovely to see so many forumites/Fetchies.

Funny how the bits I remember as being hard last year weren't but there were things I'd forgotten that were particularly nasty!

Generally cooler weather and seeing Fetchpoint four times made for a lot happier Kaz today

• Options
    winklewinkle ✭✭✭

Aka 'Information desk'

As ever I was bowled over by the day. The friendliness of runners, their families and supporters was tip-top. I was getting a bit worried at around midday when the sun tried to really break through but I'm pleased to say that we were able to arrange some much needed cloud cover. A small, local Club we may be but we do our best!

I'm glad that most noticed we had specially assigned a chap to elevate the 'hills' on the 2nd lap. Your comments and body language on finishing showed that PBs aren't everything. We only have your best interest at heart - really.

A huge congratulations to all of you.

We look forward to seeing you next year.

Peri Collins

Halstead Road Runners

• Options
    First Marathon. 4:28. Pleased as punch. Will definitely be back next year. Great job guys!!  image
  • Options

Also first marathon, 3:49. Definitely undulating! Big thanks to everyone who turned up to marshal/support - made a big difference. image

• Options

Just home

well, what a TOP marathon

Lovely coure, super marshals, loads of drinks stations and sweeties and a top medal

I can see why this is in RW top 5

thank you Halstead RRC

• Options

Had a fantastic day, really enjoyed it, will be rating it later, but I can't view the results!  I get prompted for a username and password. 

Any clues anyone?

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Hello all.....

seems some are waiting for a report......................

thats not written yet..... but my PB was 3:33:47..... it isnt any more, that was always going to go..... 8 attempts at 3:30 and not achieved, lose 2st and believe (with coaching) that sub 3:15 is possible.... 3 months of base and 900m + since Jan 1st....

It was Hot.... HOT,..... BLIDDY HOT....

But so was I - ran to a plan, kept to the plan and stuffed 2 fingers up at 3:30........................

AND

3:15

And

3:14

3:13:46 - 31st overall and a PB by 20:01

Am I happy............ YOU BET full report tomorrow or later

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Thanks Halstead RR great race, Top race

Great to see everyone, sorry didnt stay till end but was suffering a bit

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

I can see why this race is one of the top marathon in this country. I was really surprised by the local supporting the runners. Just wished I could deal with the heat better.

Hippo - you was lovely today and you are a star in my eyes imageimageimageimage

• Options
    It is a lovely race and one day I hope to do it justice.  Might just take a long while!!
  • Options

Tiptree, im sorry

image)

RFJ--------YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trace, i am shite in the heat too

you done good

ten minutes of your FLM time, and you only did that two weeks ago