Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Bryan the Snail

Comments

• Options
    Maybe I should keep switching days and stick to being a time lord as they are meant to have two hearts so I could half the effort to get round the schedule, or does that mean I would have to train twice as hard.

Schedule says:  10 mins warm-up, then 2 x 12 mins at 10K pace (9:00 - 9:30) with 2- min recoveries, then 10 mins cool-down

Watch says:
    12'02"   11'34"mi    141♥
    12'03"    8'56"mi    168♥
     2'15"     8'01"mi    147♥ (obviously wrong as I was walking)
    12'00"    9'25"mi    170♥
    11'01"   12'27"mi    156♥

Total Time 49'23" Average Pace 10'40"mi  Average Heart 157♥

I thought I would make this run a bit easier by doing an out and back route with the first part uphill, unfortunately I underestimated how far I would travel and how long the uphill section was.  I ended up running out of uphill after about 4 minutes and then began to go gently downhill - nothing too dramatic but I compounded the mistake by continuing to walk downhill for the 2 minute recovery.  By the time I turned round and headed for home I only got a minute or two of downhill on the return leg instead of the hoped for 8 or 9 minutes downhill coasting to have an easier run. Definitely bad planning but in the general scheme of things it was probably more beneficial than running it all on the flat.

• Options

Brian that's really good running. Your fitness and pace is definitely improving. 

• Options

BtS I've cancelled Vanessa Mae and Nigel Kennedy for the time being.

I agree with Steve the HR/pace correlation is definitely moving in the right direction.  Seems a bit odd to me, you know, the notion that trianing yields fitness improvements so I'm less than convinced that you're not doing something else or just spinning a yarn.

Anyway whatever you're doing - it's truly inspirational.

As you were.

• Options

You're influence over others is remarkable Bryan... you remind me of another Brian who had a similar effect on people.... especially those wearing only one sandal image

• Options

Is that the Judean Peoples Popular Front, Bryan. Or the Popular Peoples Front of Judea, Bryan?

Remember - All ways look on the bright side of Hill Runs. What goes up must come down shame it was only for 2 minutes though. DT. 

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
  • Options

DT & SJ - Should I try and explain or just sit her down in front of the telly with a rented DVD?

Crab - I am glad that I am able to inspire you.  If you ever need some tips please don't hesitate to ask.

Squishy - I have to report that the local doughnut retailers are somewhat concerned about the drop in sales in this area.  According to my nutritional adviser (how posh does that sound?) I am allowed a doughnut occasionally - now, I ask you, what use is that when they don't keep and they are sold in packs of 5 or even 10.   Sadly I have been unable to persuade my caterer to supply Grilled Sardines with Raspberry and Walnut Salad so may have to move in with you and the Hamster. You will however be pleased to know that my glands are fine.

• Options

Cool! Mine are 'improving' image

good training, BTW. Do you 'feel' that you're improving or is it just the numbers that are looking better? Are you the messiah or a very naughty boy? <I can't believe she doesn't get it...>

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I don't remember films for more than 10 minutes and as I saw it years ago it's long gone ; - )

• Options

Tonight's run was not helped by finishing my evening repast of Smoked Mackerel Risotto (are you reading this Jaymie) with a glass of Orvieto (but hopefully not reading that) about 20 minutes before I went out the door to run - wouldn't recommend it as a strategy to anybody as I had a niggling stitch most of the way round.

Schedule says:  45mins easy
    What exactly is 45 mins easy?  Does it mean 45 mins being tended to lovingly by Debbo - actually, it can't mean that - it said easy not impossible.  So having thought about it I realised it must mean that I have to get my arrass out the door and go slightly faster than slow but slower than fast.  I eventually decided just to do it by heart rate and stick about or below 160♥ (thinking about getting out of bed can often put me over this so it was going to be a challenge). 

I didn't set my watch up for splits and forgot to start the data recorder so don't have much detail but here is what I do have.

Watch says:
    22'25"   10'34"mi    151♥(Average)
    23'11"   10'46"mi    158♥(Average)

Total Time 45'36" Total Distance 4.3 miles  Average Pace 10'40"mi  Average Heart 155♥

Crashie - according to "She who must be obeyed" (obscure quote) I am a very naughty boy - only I don't waken up after an enjoyable night with Judith (who went on to become mayor of Aberystwyth) to find an audience outside the bedroom window. 

As regards whether I feel I am improving - No, I can see the numbers are improving but that hasn't yet translated into feeling better.  If I get a reasonable time (for me that would be anything under the hour) at the Great Yorkshire 10k I might feel a bit better.  I also think that due to mucking with the schedule I haven't really repeated any sessions so haven't yet had the opportunity to think "That felt a bit easier than last week".

• Options

Yikes... wine and fish 20 minutes before.

I'm pacing my mum for the GNR, and she's hoping for somewhere in the range of 2:00 - 2:15, so I read your thread and efforts with great interest!

• Options

My scheduled run last night was 45 minutes relaxed.

I did'nt even wear my watch just ran with friends at a comfortable conversational pace and back for coffee,cake and chat. Lovely.

• Options

Sue - that is where my training is going wrong - I am not getting coffee and cake after my training sessions. 

Not even a doughnut....

Haven't had a doughnut for weeks....

Mmmmmm DOUGHNUTS........

I am just going out for a short while.....

• Options

Titus Oates meets Homer Simpson? image

I have a feeling that that's why it's important to record as much data as possible...then there's always one figure which shows an improvement, even if it doesn't feel easier...

• Options

Oh the joys of nightshift!

Yesterdays schedule said 30 mins easy or rest.

Having toyed with the idea of rest I took the bold step of doing 30mins easy - apart from anything else I needed to calibrate the Nike+ SportBand.

As with any new kit it will take a bit of playing to get used to what it does and doesn't do but it seems reasonably straightforward and even without calibration wasn't too far out on the distance (can't remember exactly but probably within 5-10%) hopefully now that it has been calibrated it will be fairly accurate for future runs.

Anyway todays run -
    31'48"   10'42"mi     153♥(Average)    Total 3miles (2.968 if you want to split hairs)

Interesting to note that the last two runs have been fairly close to the overall pace for my last 10k but have been relatively a lot easier.  They have also been a lot shorter so we will see what happens when at my next 10k in a few weeks.

Having said all that I have a 90minute run at 10'00" to 10'30" pace later today which may end up going through the 10k faster than my last effort - that is if I can get out of  bed in time to do it.

• Options

Good luck with your 90 minute run.

Have postponed mine until 10am because it's torrential rain here.

• Options

Sound like it's all beginning to come together Bryan. It's cool the way you don't necessarily feel any real improvement, but then realise what was your hardest pace is now comfortable eh.

Hope your back is up to the next 10k.

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I can report that he's come back alive from his 90 minute run and will shortly be refuelling on steak and roasted vegetables
  • Options

Good Grief Debbo - are you still making that poor man go through with this!! image

Well done BtS. image

• Options

I've been lurking on your thread for a while now BtS. Keep up the good work, and I'm glad that you survived your run.

Btw, not sure if you'd prefer red hearts but if you put a : next to l: you'll have a red heart like this image 

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭

Waff - I'd run for 90 minutes if I got steak, roasted veg and a glass of vino presented to me when I got home ; - )

• Options

As has been reported I have returned, showered, and refuelled and been judged to be alive - I am considering an appeal as I am not convinced about the last part.

Schedule says:-
    90 mins at 10'00 to 10'30".

Watch says:-
    89 mins at 10'38"   157♥ (Average) - At this point Les Dennis looks up at the board to see a big 'X' appear and a loud "uh-uhh" sound comes over the air.

Just to make matters even better I went through the 10k mark at 1:06' - 3 minutes slower than the 10k  did at the start of the training. 

Debbo then tried to make this appear slightly less of a problem by pointing out that the 10k race was apparently only 9.5k so this probably equated to a 10k time of about 1:06' .  -  Now I am left thinking that I am no faster than when I started and my initial 10k time was even more embarrassing than I first thought.

I should be Dougall instead of Bryan because it's all so depressing really (you may have to be a certain age to understand this reference).

On the plus side - todays course was a damn sight harder and hillier than the flat 9.5k and I wouldn't have expected to train at that pace a few weeks ago so I am not really that despondent about it - I have however had a preview of what is coming up and am considering plastic surgery and a name change or joining the foreign legion.

Splits in kilometres for those that are interested:-
      1k   6'36"/k    141♥
      2k   6'15"/k    154♥
      3k   6'39"/k    152♥
      4k   6'23"/k    153♥
      5k   6'11"/k    154♥
      6k   6'30"/k    159♥
      7k   6'20"/k    156♥
      8k   6'46"/k    161♥
      9k   6'56"/k    163♥
    10k   7'10"/k    164♥
    11k   6'38"/k    160♥
    12k   6'20"/k    162♥
    13k   6'38"/k    161♥
    0.5k   6'23"/k    163♥
    With a total ascent of 523 feet - 200 feet of which were in kilometres 9 and 10 and boy I felt every single one of them.

• Options

I'd like to think that I've not yet reached 'a certain age', but I certainly get the Dougal reference.

If it's any help, I went through 6 miles today in 44.45 (didn't take a 10k split). My 10k PB is 42.15. I in no way take this to mean that I have become slower, merely that I was running further and it was a training run and not a RACE.

*passes Bryan more wine*

• Options

Catherine is right - this is a fast training run, not  a race, and not under race conditions and its longer, so obviously if you run 10k and stop at that point then you will go quicker and if you run a flatter course, it would have been quicker.

The idea was to do a faster longer run than normal, and that you did, so well done. You are making progress.

As you say, you will have a much better idea when you complete the Great Yorkshire run.

• Options

Hi Bryan,

Well done on your run, very consistent pace and on a hilly course as well. Like the sound of your motivation, Steak, Roasted Veg and Wine.

I came back from my 90 mins run a little dispondent, did'nt hit my target, but in hindsight we should be more than  pleased with our efforts, we're out there giving it our all.

Onwards and Upwards.

• Options
    Well done on the 90 mins and 13.5k Bryan. Hope the advice of Steve & the others has helped 'cos I would only be repeating that. Hilly routes and steady climbs are a killer aren't they? Just so much tougher on the legs. And if you were Dougal, you'd be too hot & hairy to have managed at all. image
  • Options

Sounds like you could do with an extra sugar cube - Dougal.

Considering it only seem 5 mins you put your back out with lifting the shopping out of the boot you have done fantastic with the 13k. It seems the Super Six are starting to be a little tough on ourselves reading the threads. Its been a tough 5 weeks for everyone with moving house, camper vans breaking down, injuries and holidays.

Keep it up BTS image.

• Options
    Apologies for the delay and brief post but I is busy, again!  Failed to set my watch properly to record this so have had to do a bit of maths - figures are not 100% but pretty close, and better than I thought I was doing at the time.

Tuesday Run
    Schedule said:  10 mins warm-up, then 4 x 1M at 10K pace (approx 9'00") with 3min recoveries off 12'00", then 10 mins cool-down

Watch says:
    Warm-up(1M)  12'02"    137♥
    1M            9'32"    154♥
    Rec           2'34"
    2M           10'05"    157♥
    Rec           1'42"
    3M            9'19"    159♥
    Rec           2'25"
    4M            9'30"    172♥
    Rec           2'42"
    Cool-down    12'00"    152♥

Total Time 71'05" Average Heart 151♥

Miles 1 & 3 were slightly downhill and 2 & 4 back uphill. The GPS wasn't getting a signal most of the time but thankfully it is a route my wife and I have measured frequently. Only problem was when the GPS did suddenly get a signal it decided to do a split time in the middle of a mile run and then again when I was recovering at the end of the fast stretch so I have 15 split times for the run and a complete headache trying to make sense of them.

I am planning on getting my run in tomorrow evening but have to drive down to Stafford tomorrow so may have to do a last minute juggle of the schedule - I will update the thread when I get a chance.
  • Options
    well done on the session - looks like the fourth one worked the heart a lot more.