Options

A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

Comments

• Options

I have ear bud headphones and like music but have a random list of tracks at the mo with no run tempo as such. Have been wondering about getting music at the right tempo for the pace of run but think I need and ipod for that.

My music has everything from Queen to the theme from rocky and it entertains me. Some people have said download pod casts of the radio to keep you company. I think the tempo stuff would be wrong for longer runs for me. However I will get some downloaded eventually because I think that it will help on my speed work, when I want to keep pace.

Worked out I went from 10k to 12k today, I think I will try to do 13k next week and 14k the week after. I want to run a village 8.45mile race in November. Then maybe a 10 miler in the spring. 

• Options

Well done debbie mac - i also listen to music i have an ipod and a dab radio (i am not showing off) but i prefer the DAB radio as its varied - got a bit bored with the i pod - i guess i could chnage the music!!!!!  I defo prefer running to something......i am sure i sound like darthvadar if i could hear my breathing.

Debbie - you will be able to achieve a half in no time (If you want to do it that is)

• Options
    My knees ache what's that all about?
  • Options
    My youngest is ill and I have been up every 2 hours over night. My knees are killing me if I bend them or go up and down the stairs. It is both knees so I don't think I am injured just never had this pain post exercise before. No other pain at all. Advice please.
  • Options
    Been searching the net and it would seem that "runners Knee" is common and usually due to weak knee muscles initially. Need to build these muscles up gradually. Rest properly after LSR to allow muscles to repair and strengthen properly. Got a list of Knee strengthening and knee stretching exercises from www.bigkneepain.com. Still interseted if you guys had similar pain when you started doing the distances and how you overcame the issues.
  • Options
    My new challenge/target is to do the Great North Run next year.

I watched it on TV this morning and was truly inspired by some of the runners and their reasons for running..

I know I've got a lot of training to do to get up to half marathon standard but I'm halfway there and have only been running since April so
    I think it will be possible..

Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to get an entry?
  • Options
    I am keen to do GNR as well Susie, I was loving watching it this morning with a different set of eyes. I think a half may well be my limit though. FLM frightens me.
  • Options

Even if I wanted to do the GNR distance, the crowds would freak me out, tbh.

Never had knee or leg probs. Only problem I've had is my last pair of shoes giving me blisters and rubbing and feeling all over 'wrong'. I felt like they disrupted my gait too, but they were so uncomfortable on my feet that I never did enough distance for any problems to arise.

Hope the exercises sort you out, Debbie. Do you normally stretch after a run? 

I'd like to be able to run, but I've gone all blocked and chesty, so it's off the agenda till I'm better. It's also cold, wet and miserable today.

• Options
    Knees are getting better as the day goes on so convinced it is new muscles not injury. Sorry you still feel terrible Yersinia, it is lovely and sunny today here (Preston) Glad I did LSR yesterday as it was v.cool and dry. Got high vis gillet this afternoon for £8.99 in JJB of all places(they had jackets for a tenner too) if anyone needs one at the mo. Even day running in the muggy winter on country roads is a bit risky esp. if I am going to run further and stray further away from home.
  • Options

Debbie

I wouldn't assume you have runners knee just yet it could just be you pushed it a bit far or went a bit fast on your last run. I had a few injuries in the beginning and now go to yoga or pilates type classes and these have really helped you may not have the time but it helps to strengthen your legs and improve core fitness.I agree with you Yersinia I watched this morning and it was inspiring but too crowded for me. Get well soon.

• Options

hi

debbie thanks for the jjb tips - i guess we should all be thinking about wet and reflective jackets if we continue to do outside running.  i had terrible shin splints when i first started running - and my knees ached a bit i actually use knee supports mainly because i am overweight.  i put them on again on saturday for the first time for a long time and legs didnt ache at all yesterday or today i guess the knees supports must of helped.

gnr looked fab.  hey if my top limit is 7.2 miles and i am in to do the london marathon next year you can do half a marathon - or am i aiming to high......oh dear what have i done!

Yersinia - you really been a poorly bean - hope you get better soon.

• Options

Our local JJB closed down which is a shame as they did have some good cheap stuff.

Beanie you have loads of time you will be fine. When is your half? I am too lazy to go back the thread and check but do you have a half coming up soon?

• Options

Didn't go out for my run this morning as my back still ached and I didn't want to be miles from home if it became a problem.  Instead I went on the tready.  Felt OK so thought I would do 3 miles at my LSR pace.  Then when I got there I decided to do 4.  Then thought 'what the heck, just do my LSR'.  However, at a bout 4.8 miles I could feel a blister developing on my left instep so called it a halt at 5 miles. 

Its funny though, outside I never listen to music, preferring to hear the wildlife and traffic, but can't cope with the tready unless I've got my ipod on full blast!  The tempo of the music has to be right though.  I have a playlist of songs with tempos in the 165 - 175 bpm range.

Debbie, I hope your knees are recovering.  Don't try to up your mileage too quickly.  As Susie says, you may be overdoing it.

• Options

Beanie - I might be wrong  but at this stage I think I am best to try and build up the aching knee muscles. I figure don't go above 8, 8.5 for my long run for a couple of months and see if the problem persists. I wonder if I try knee supports I will not be giving the muscles chance to develop. Did you get a London place Beanie. I thought everyone had been told no.

Susie- appart from the high viz stuff JJB had no, yes I repeat no female running gear. I wanted to try some tights and a long sleeved top but nothing. The girl said "running clothes.......................for women...............no just the mens stand............" bewildered look on face. So you are not missing anything.

• Options

feeling pretty miserable - whilst running the 5k tree-atlon today I have managed to tear my calf muscle so no running for at least 1 week.  Hopefully I will be able to run the half marathon on 26th but not sure how it will go without the much needed practice.  Will try an d book appointment with physio tomnorrow.

Sorry for the winge - just needed to get it off my chest. 

• Options

my half is at end of November - Debbie i didnt get through the ballot but i have secured a golden bond place with RNLI.

Just be careful with your knees Debbie - stretch before and after and take it gentle for a few days

Can i have a rant - just had a barney with my OH - he doesnt give a flying f*** about my safety - he says if you are gonna get raped than it will happen - perhaps i am overeacting but i am getting nervous of running when its getting darker - i said dont you want to know my route and how long i will be and he said no - and he meant it - i think he wants me to fail.......grrrrr!  (Perhaps he is doing some weird mind games and trying to spurr me on)

• Options

running tortoise - they say you should be reducing your runs so i guess the rest may do you good??? 

• Options

Oh No RT poor you hopefully it won't be too bad. I agree with Beanie, I am doing a half on the 26th also but think that the training we have done is probably enough at this stage with 3 weeks to go we probably won't improve much so the best thing is to rest the injury.

RT did you manage to finish the 5k

Beanie he is just winding you up. Don't you run with the club mostly during the week.

• Options

Well done Beanie on your Gold Bond place.

I also got a rejection from the main ballot.  I'm on the reserve list for a Gold Bond place with Cancer Research.  My preferred charity is having a ballot for its Gold Bond places on 15th Oct so keep your fingers crossed for me.  I also have 2 other charity applications.  Am I sounding too keen?  I'm beginning to frighten myself as the furthest I've run since I started running again is 7 miles, although I am considering a half at the end of November image

• Options

Sorry about injury RT. Rest it, get physio and do some upper body/cardio at the gym to keep fitness up. They have that handbike thing for cardio and back, ab and arm strength will help running when you have mended.

Great on FLM place for next year Beanie, we will need to start a new thread for all half and full marathoners.My brother goes on at me about night safety, the high vis and an arm wallet for phone were his idea initially. I only gave in after realising it was a good idea even in the light on country roads. Your OH sounds like mine say's it as it is. Truth is phone and knowing route etc. only really means you can ring or be found after it has happened. He obviously cares about you and in alien man talk is saying I don't want you to get hurt and I feel helpless to stop it. I say street running on main roads, in good areas where possible. I have been plotting various new routes to use.  I think change the route often too. Also, you do go to club don't you, so keep that up.

Kelly you don't sound too keen you sound like a runner who wants a challenge. Good luck with ballot. 

• Options

seems like a few people are struggling here!!  add me to that list too, did my LSR on sat, 12 miles, and quads are quite sore today, worst since i started my half schedule 10 weeks ago.

hoping its just a raction to running a fast (for me) 10K last weekend, much faster than the schedule prescribed.

gonna re-schedule my runs for this week, give myself a bit longer to recover , but still get the runs in.

lets hope we are all feeling much better this time next week, and back pounding out the miles!!

• Options
    hi all - am back on this week after my week off. hip is feeling good so now io just need to really nail down a routine in preparation for the half. eek.
  • Options
    3 miles at 10mm pace. hip not happy. am going to ignore it.
  • Options

Might not be such a good idea plod.

• Options

yeh i know.... image

but what do i do? see a sports physio? presume NHS don't pay for such luxuries. how much is that going to cost me? 

plodmonster is very annoyed image.

• Options

I don't blame you it just seems everytime you make progress something knocks you back.  I don't mean just you but it seems as a runner it is one step forward then just as you begin to get confidence and think your turning a corner the running gods decide to knock you down to size.

I feel for you do you do any stretching?

• Options
    i do yes - but not really sure how to stretch the back of the hip. will do some googling later...
  • Options

plod - i would go to the physio - i know i know with the credit crunch and all but you really dont want to do any long term damage.....how about your doctors they maybe able to suggest some cheaper alternatives i hear accupuncture is very in (not sure that will help) but its free on the nhs.  But seriously i would get it checked out if only for peace of mind - i am sounding more like my mother.

i know my OH is only looking out for me in a strange sort of way - he is just sometimes so annoying.

yes i go to the running club twice a week - so that will do the night running and then i will have to do my LSR at the weekend in daylight hours! (I think i overreacted and just needed to rant)

• Options
    kaybeekaybee ✭✭✭

Oh dear, we're all a bit in the wars and fed up.  At least its not just me.  For what its worth here's my two pennorth about running in the dark.

Your chances of being attacked are very, very slim. One, they are anyway.  Two, opportunistic attackers are looking for someone who looks vulnerable.  The very facts that you are a) running, b) the sort of determined/strong person who goes running and c) kitted out for escape will be deterrents in themselves.  Look confident and purposeful, which will probably make you feel less fearful anyway.

Where I run, the much greater risk is from traffic, so do get visible.  You can get high-vis bands that you just sling over your body and are dirt cheap.  Or, GADGET ALERT, I've got this really dinky little strip of LCD lights attached to velcro that you stick onto yourself and you can set them to "on" or flashing.  I've had a look online but can't find anything (probably as I have no idea how to describe it!).  Actually now I think on, I think I might have got it in Black's so camping shops might be worth a look.

Sorry, long.

• Options
    kaybeekaybee ✭✭✭