Options

Great North West Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

Let me start by saying that it disgusts me to hear people slagging off race organisers who put a lot of work and effort into putting races on so that other people can enjoy or use just to challenge themselves.

As a race organizer myself i know the amount of work that goes into putting a small race on never mind the amount  and size of some of the races that Ron McAndrew puts on, and these races would not go ahead without the help of sometimes 20 plus volunteers for which Ron himself marshalls for the race i am involved in.

As for the price of races that is as varied as they come. Some are fantastic value and some are just major money earners for the people involved.  The discounted price offered for this race to a certain club came with restrictions and was offered because of the amount of helpers that the club had provided over the past year to make sure some of the races went ahead and without their help there would not be these races.

Everybody has a choice whether to join a club or not that is their choice alone.  Some do it for the help of running with other people, some do it for the small discount it offers on race entries but everyone has the option.

So before slagging people off, thank them for their tireless work they put in so that we can enjoy the thrill of running races with upwards of 1000 other people.

• Options

Can I just say - I'm really glad my time was 1:39:07.

For some strange reason I would have felt worse if my initial guess of 1:39:01 was right.

I am weirder than all of you lot.

Official.

Hic image

I like it on here - it's so random. I feel at home.

• Options

I have to agree with Pete - given the amount of people involved I think the event seemed well organised. Some things (e.g the medals) are always going to go slightly askew but if they take action to fix the problems as best that they can then what more can you ask!

As for the affiliation of runners I'm quite happy to do my own thing even if it costs a few pounds more ... saves geting involved in committees and is well worth the money !!image

Oddly enough though in the results I'm listed as being part of one of the running clubs in my area even though I paid the unaffiliated fee. Wonder if I should tell them I have joined ... it will be as much as much as a surprise for them as for me!!

• Options

pete waywell

I have met Ron a few times  and have to say  he is a really friendly man   he really does a lot of hard work  to put these races on     he deseves a lot of prasie

looked at the ratings and most  runners said they would do it again

I could not run the race as I have just come out of injury after 3 months  and came down to support the runners  and race  had a good chat with Ron    met Brain from Flecklton  and 2 more

so I say to Ron   keep it going you do a brill job   and do not let anyone get you down

Ron told me that this soup has a grudge against him and as far as I can see is out to cause trouble

• Options
    Brian - I'm down as Chorley but I don't run for a club either. I'm tempted to ask for £2 back! I'm not committed enough so I'd rather pay a few quid more to enter races. And I'd hate to stand there marshalling for 2 hours in the wind and rain to the marshalls at races always have my utmost respect.
  • Options

so, onwards to Blackpool marathon & HM then -

that'll fill pretty quick - will check the diary -

• Options

brain

I had the same happen to me at the Helen windsor 10k near halifax    it said where did you pick up this entry form    and I put lancaster   and they though I was a member of the running club there

• Options

And let's face it folks - is a discounted entry fee really worth joining Wesham for?

You'd have to associate with the likes of Martin. Pete and Brian Porter - I'd rather pay double than have to suffer that.

imageimageimage

(BP - before your mates come and kick my head in, tell 'em I'm joking will you?)

• Options
    Clare Unsworth wrote (see)

me at the finish...most tired person on earth! lol

(i'm in black!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1HKQBs1_q8&layer_token=ba4f50ad035cb5b3

Clare thats a great clip!  I came in just 30 secs before you!!!  I sooooo wish I had been on the clip too!!!!!
  • Options
    well said Pete
  • Options

i have to see actually if we can get to Freckelton hM

it takes longer to drive than to run the hM

• Options
    I think  this soup is one sad person
  • Options

After last April's Blackpool race it took me longer to drive home than it did to run 13 miles. And I only live 25  miles away. Flippn' traffic jam on the way to the M55.

Probly ron's fault....

• Options
    Poorly, affiliated runners have already paid towards the national governing body of athletics through their membership fees.  For unaffiliated runners, the extra money is paid to the association after the event.
  • Options

poorly

when I come to Blackpool I use the m60/66/65/61/6/55    it is not as busy   going that way

the races at Blackpool WILL go on   what ever certain people say   I know I said I would not go on the big one    but if I run the 2010 mararthon non stop I will do it

• Options

I've had too much to drink to understnad taht Pete! But thansk anyway - i'll read it again in the morning.

i'm sooooo happy that it wasn't 1:39:01 imageimageimage

• Options

Pete

have u run Trimpell 20 -

they say it's flatish - i'm bringing Philip to it soon - is it pb material ?? our 20 pb is 2.58

it'll be new event for us- one or two say we'll e fine, then one says a section of mud ???

What says you  

• Options
    MT - and I'll be there to make sure you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    anyone doing sotos 10k   that is a really good race
  • Options

PF

what pete's saying is what happens to the monies - just that i could'nt word it like he did-

could even begin to

• Options
    Mick - I'm just sitting here laughing cos none of it makes sense! I don't mind where the money goes as long as they don't ban MP3 players from races.OOOpppps - kettle of worms opedened
  • Options
    I just looked back. why do i need to pay the national govening body? what's that for?
  • Options
    i pay income tax ypou know
  • Options

..or maybe even a can of worms?

Have just looked and I may do beaverbrooks 10k in Blackpool as I need a May race.

• Options

PF 

Pete make perfect sence - he's just saying in brief how and where it goes

I may know him if i see him - i've been looking on the internet at some of his times- he's a serious athlete - better than i was in my day

• Options
    Mick n phil the trimpell 20 is 95% cycle track but there is a section between Crook of lund picnic site and the turn at Bull beck that is narrow and can be muddy and a tight narrow turn at the end if i remember it well did it two years ago missed last year at Barcelona marathon give Billy Gardener a e.Mail  at Lancaster .A.C to be sure but other than that it is a fast course will not be there this year doing the Hobble
  • Options
    why do you drink wine
  • Options
    Poorly have you been drinking something stronger than beer mate LOL
  • Options

Mick - it might make sense to you - but i bet you're not in the middle of drinking your house dry in preparation for giving up alcohol for Lent are you? image

James - thank yuo. i couldn;t decidre between kettle of fish or can of worms. just got a bit mixed up. i'm normally quite clever really image

• Options
    this thread is getting like the frecklton   ie  Fun and funny