Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options

Hey all!

Well it's time for my second ice bath, I'm going to stay in it for 12 minutes tonight - brrrrrrrr!image

There's a recipe I use, it's not very complex but it's tasty, and full of carbs and stuff like that.  I cook a shed load of pasta, heat up a tin of tomatoes, cook some frozen sweetcorn.  I mix it altogether and then sling in a tin of tuna.  A bit of Worcester Sauce and black pepper then 'hey presto' a quick meal, easy to cook, relatively tasty and good for you.  Get it down ya neck!!!

It's funny you should mention tri's CJ, I actually bought '220 Triathlon' magazine tonight, just for research purposes though, although you never know what I might decide to do!

• Options
    CJ well done on braving the weather, which is more than can be said for me : - ( and for going out on the bikes with the boys as well.

Don't you, or CB dare move over to the dark side its all well and good doing the tri but it seems to addle the brain!

CB good luck with the ice bath, if you lived up here you'd just need to step outside in your boxers/tighty whities and the weather would do the rest for you

Well I chickened out of going out for a run after hubby came home from cycling and had to wring out his underwear. Tomorrow will be a rest day and then come hell or high water (which it may be) I'm running on Wednesday. Please feel free to give me a kick up the backside if I come on here and report otherwise.

I'm off to scoff a beef curry. Hope everyone elses running is going well and that injuries are on the mend

jac
  • Options

Lol@tighty wighties!  It's been cold and wet over here today, I should have just stripped off outside lol!

*Gets ready to kick Jackie up the backside*  image

• Options
    NOOOOOOOO! CB You can't do a tri, you'll never be the same it eats your soul - that said, if i start to swim again then i may well think of it myself - i just find that i can't swim well enough to do one. Oh that and I like my soul!
  • Options

Dont blame you for not going out Jac! Its fricking freezing out there!  Hope the weather improves by Wednesday so you can get outside!  Its hard to get motivation when the weather is so bad!  Im sure you could class this as your period of lowering the mileage before your race!  the spinach and chickpea curry sounds delicious! i tried to make a chickpea curry once and it was really complicated and didnt even taste that great after!

Well made it out a run, we were out for 40mins and ran a good bit of that, wish i had timed it a bit better so i knew exactly what i had done! luckily my foot was ok too!  really funny though at the end, i stopped to stretch before getting in the car and my friends just laughed at me like i was a weirdo! is it wrong of me to feel smug and think ha well you will pay for that tomorrow when your muscles are sore and im fine heheimage!

My jjb gloves were brilliant by the way!  can highly reccommend them!  they were quite thin and didnt make my hands too hot!

What does everyone wear on their heads when running?  I had on a beanie hat but it didnt fully cover my ears so they were a bit sore, has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.therunningshop.uk.com/images/products/large/Sky%20Run%20Headband%20ASKYRU9900%20L.jpg

• Options

my baseball hat doesnt cover my ears but no problem yet. have got a woolly hat just in case.

that sounds like a 10k challenge in may, perhaps a Tri in september?image

two runs in two days for me! yesterday in showers, 2.5 miles undulating, even managed a negative split, going under 11mm pace on way back! today worked half day so ran home from work at lunchtime to try out off-road shoes. they are much grippier on the slippy mud and more stable on uneven surfaces. (some of our pavements are so bad they might as well be off-road!). bit slower than yesterday but still good.

my tea was a mushroom bacon and broccoli risotto, with some left over gruyere, yummy!

• Options

Mark, I swim like a breeze block but I'm going to take lessons.  I'm not bothered about speed, I just want to be ocnfident, and strong enough, to be able to swim in open water.

Trust me Nic, you'll feel fresh tomorrow, your friends won't lol!  I always stretch after a run, it's essential!

I wear just normal, bog standard, beanie hats - I refuse to spend big money on a hat, what a waste!

Meg, two runs in two days is good going, I do that on Saturday and Sunday and it tires me out. It doesn't matter if it was slower than before, it's progress! image

• Options

yip CB i think your right!  Ive noticed that in the gym too though, i always stretch as i know how bad it is when i dont yet i always get funny looks from people like im doing something completely alien in a gym!!!

wouldnt spend a fortune on a hat but my beanie isnt big enough to cover my ears and they were pretty sore with the wind, found a nike headband like the one above and its only £7.99 but the postage is £4.50 which i refuse to pay! will need to have a look in a running shop tomorrow and hope they have something as cheap!

ooh well done you meglet!  what off road shoes do you have?  i fancy a pair but havent actually done any offroad running yet but there is a place that i live quite close to, havent braved running round it yet!  do you have to get your gait analysed for them like ordinary running shoes?  i really want a pair of the saucony xodus shoes from the competition as theyre really nice looking!

• Options

got some salomon x-wings. nice pale blue/grey (at the moment, later to be mud coloured!). suitable for mixed on/off road as have some cushioning, and also some support for pronation but not as much as my New Balance's. also some groovy "laces" that dont need tying!

going to visit part of the route for my boxing day race at the weekend. give the shoes a proper try!

• Options

Evenin' ravers!!

CJ  lol, it does seem a bit like Saturday Kitchen and i seem to always log off of here starvin' mainly thanks to Osa and her healthy eating regime!!! NOT. Well done for going out and doing 3 miles...good on ya!!

CB  sounds like you are now Master chef?!! good effort that sounds ok to me!! Hope the ice bath is helping....nutter!! No Tri's please matey, it's against the law in here!!

Jackie  major LOL @ tighty wighties!!! that gave me a right old chuckle!!

Meg  well done, you're going great and you're tea sounded scrumptious!!!!!!

A.J

• Options

I agree with you AJ...this is a strictly no-tri zone!! Arent we a supportive bunchimage!

Definately like Saturday Kitchen CJ...all this food talk is making me hungry..and im the one that started the conversation oops sorry guys!  Forgot to say well done on your 3 miles by the way! 

ooh they sound luverly meglet! think i will have to buy a pair of off roaders just to add to my shoe collection!  is there something wrong with me when i take more interest in trainers than i do in pretty shoes?!

Hows your legs been doing AJ?  You still injury free?

• Options

HI TTN

I went out yesterday and did my normal 6m loop but i limped home with shin splint pain again in my left leg? so i'm resting it and will probably go out again at the weekend. We shall get there, i got through it before, i think it's just where i was not running when i knackered my ankle, have to go through it all again....yawn!!

thx for asking

A.J

• Options

I had my ice bath, I braved it for 15 minutes tonight.  I had it at about 20:45 and my feet are still really cold, almost 3 hours later...  I'm going to have 2 baths tomorrow, one in the morning and one tomorrow night, both for 15 minutes again.  Hopefully that should improve my leg...

AJ, you really want to be careful with those shin splints, if they get really bad they can be crippling...

• Options

Hi all,

I have been fairly busy for the last few days with some special events at work, so haven't had the opportunity to catch up at all.

I see you are all turning into Delia's and Jamie's image

Polished off a spag bol made by my good self about 3 hours ago, was scrumpcious!

Just back from the gym. Had a go on the treadmill as the ankle feels nearly spot on now. Managed 4.7k in 30 minutes, which was made up of a 3 minute warm up, 11 minute run, 2 minute walk, 10 minute run, and a 4 minute cool down. Quite pleased considering it was my first effort after injury. Was running at 10kph, with the odd 12k burst put in. Felt a little on the slow side, but decided not to push it to much to start with.  Felt the shins pains were on the edge of returning, but they just about stayed away.

How is everyone else doing?. Nic, did I read that you are up to running 30 mins non stop? Blimey you have made decent progress if you are.

Colonel and AJ, sorry to hear your still both suffering with injuries.

I hope everyone else is fighting fit.

Any more takers for the London BUPA 10K or is it just the 3 of us still?

All the best everyone

Darren

• Options

Morning all!

Good choice on not pushing your come back Darren, don't do anything at speed 'til your ankle's back to 100%.  I keep on meaning to sign up for that 10k in London, sod it, I'll do it now.  Wonder if I can sort out my flights this early...

Day off work today so I'm going down to the local bike shop, just to have a look mind, I'm not purchasing anything - yet!

• Options

Wow Darren thats quite a comeback!!  Well done you!! Bet your well chuffed!! Fraid to say im not running 30mins non stop...i wish haha!  Was out last night for my first proper run since my injury but it was just 40mins of run/walking, i was doing it with friends so didnt time it and have only roughly been able to map the distance as its one long flat bit of road along the beach front so going back out again on wednesday and hopefully will get a better idea of how im doing!  I didnt even remember that you were doing that sort of time and distance before the injury, you mustnt have lost any fitness at all!

Sorry to hear the shin splints are bothering you AJ!  Not sure the best way to help them other than plenty of RICE'ing?  im sure theres a bit on the website here about how to cure them!

Yikes CB, your either very brave or crazy!! Do you think the ice baths are helping your leg?  Looking at bikes...sounds like your getting closer to doing a triimage!

Has anyone ordered furniture from Next before?  Do they phone you to let you know when they are delivering it or are they just gong to turn up at my door?! Ordered it on Friday am and the website just said it would be delivered by courier in the next 5 days! Im scared to leave the house incase they just turn up and i want to go christmas shopping!

• Options

Hi All,

Lots to read through since my last post!  

Like the recipes guys!  I've got some chicken breasts to cook tonight, haven't decided what to do with them yet though......

Darren - good to hear you're back!  Your session on the treadmill is impressive after such a long break  image.

TTN - Afraid I can't help on the delivery front.  Give them a call though - they should at least be able to give you the day of your delivery.

CB - don't think I could manage an ice bath!  Closest I've got is spraying Deep Freeze on my sciatica pains - not quite the same though!

I had a really good run on Sunday - did a nice muddy route passing lots of sunday league footballers!  It wasn't fast, but I really enjoyed the crisp morning weather and the mud!

Glad I had a rest day yesterday - weather was awful!  Planning a 30min 'steady' run tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well image

• Options

Hi all

Nic I have been wearing one of those fleecy ear band thingys, I think someone said you get them quite cheap out of JJB or someplace similar, mine was a pressie & is great, keeps my headphones in place too!

Did my spin & abs last night, really enjoyed it, body pump tonight & will run tomorrow although I really hope the weather improves, running in the rain & wind is just not appealing!

CB I thought I was a masochist but that ice bath treatment sounds horrific.

LXR hope the weather is better where you are for your run tonight!

Good news about the ankle Daz, sounds like you are doing just enough.

Love Osa xx

• Options

Afternoon folks, glad I logged on after having lunch.

Sorry to hear the shin splints are acting up AJ, good plan on resting until the weekend. 

CB don't go over to the dark side!  15 mins of ice bath CB I don't know if you're brave or bonkers, especially as you keep repeating the process image 

Well done on the treadmill run Darren.  It sounds like your comeback is going well.  I have thought of joining the local authority gym so that I can use the treadmill when the weather is cr*p.  At least that way I keep running.

Christmas shopping TTN, thats organised.  Well done on the 40 mins run/walk.  Hope the foot was still ok.   

The muddy run sounds good lxr as did the weather.  Driving into work this morning wished I was at home so could go for a run as the morning was crisp and sunny.  Well at least I talk a good story if don't actually do it! image

Osa well done on the classes.  Hubby has got some of the ear band things! for cycling and he swears by them.  Thinking of driving to Strathaven at the weekend to find out exactly where it is (don't want to come on here and say didn't do the race as we couldn't find it) and may have a look to see if I can see where the course will run. 

Hope those running tonight have good one.

jac
  • Options

TTN, we had a settee from Next, they let us know am/pm, and what day. It's the least they can do, can't expect folk to hang about for five days on the off-chance!

Lxr, glad you enjoyed your muddy run. Welcome to the dark side! I had a shorty run round Bolton Abbey yesterday, a longish very muddy run the day before that, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm supposed to be running with the Skipton club people tonight, so that's going to be very wet and windy by the looks of things.

Osa. you could always get one of those buff scarfs, extrememly versatile they are. You can wear it like that ear thingy in your picture, or over your face, as a beany, round your wrist just to wipe sweat away, or even to dip in water and cool your head off on very hot days. I have used one for all of the above. And as a neck warmer. People seem to either love them or hate them; I think they're pretty handy. Joss doesn't wear them though.

Colonel, hat off to you for sticking with the ice baths! Have your 'nads re-appeared yet?!

Good luck to everyone running outside today - hope you can laugh at the weather! I am planning a quiet chuckle for later...

• Options

Good to hear that someone has tried them Osa, thanks!  I ended up finding a beanie hat that comes down further round the ears so hopefully it will keep my lugs warmimage! Sounds like your more than making up for your weekend with all those classes!!

Im getting very jealous of everyone going on muddy runs, im going to have to try and find myself somewhere muddy, my running shoes are far too clean looking!

Joining the gym sounds like a good plan Jac although its pretty boring running on a treadmill!  thanks, my foot was ok, a few twinges but nothing that would stop me running, its so nice getting back out again, i forgot how good it feels!

Well i phoned Next and the woman wasnt very helpful, she told me the furniture might arrive either thursday or friday...very useful! so i guess i will just sit in and wait those day! as long as i get my scheduled run in on friday it will be okimage!

Enjoy your run Mick!!

• Options

I can also recommend the buff wear.  Someone on here recommended them to me (afraid I can't remember who now though!).   I wear it as a bandana, but pulled further down over my ears in this weather!

Sticking to the streets tonight for my run - so no mud this time!  Not looking forward to it at the moment - it's really windy out there....

• Options

Ha, nothing has re-appeared yet Mick!  Hopefully I'll be getting muddy on Sunday in my CC race, if my injury clears up.  I've sent an email to a person who, I think, is a masseur.  Hopefully, I can arrange an appointment with him and get it sorted, once and for all.

I bought a Garmin 305 today, and what a sexy piece of kit it is!  The only bummer is, I can't go for a run and test it at the moment - aarrrggghhhhh!!!  First impressions are good, though.

I know when your furniture will arrive Nic, Friday night at about 5:30.  Why do I think that?  Coz it's sods law lol!

The more I think about triathlon, the more I get excited.  I went to a bike shop today and they had a beautiful Trek Hybrid for €430, which looked really sexy!  I've also been looking at wet-suits, I'll probably feel sexy in one of those lol!

• Options

Ooh glad to hear you got your 305 CB!  Did your one come with the HRM?  I tried to find one without it on amazon but couldnt, no point in paying for one when ive hardly used the HRM for my 50!   Didnt realise you had a race on Sunday, hope the injury clears up by then!  Sounds like your keen to go for a tri! Perfect reason to buy a gorgeous looking bike!!

Ha, it better not come at 5.30 on Friday! Thats exactly when im planning on going my last run of the weekimage!!!

Not good when its really windy lxr!  hope its at your back!  I hadnt seen these Buff things before but remember someone being reccommended them on this website, going to go and check them out now but hopefully not spend any more money today...my christmas shopping turned into my buying myself a gorgous pair of flat tan boots in Primark for only £15...oh and a jacketimage!! Managed to buy some things of other people too thoughimage

• Options

Evenin all,

Thanks for all the kind messages on my gym session.

Nic, I was up to around 8 minutes running x3 when I got the injury. I think the few sessions I have done on the bike have assisted with cardio vascular. I was pushing myself though to complete 11 minutes non stop, but now i'm there then i'm not going to go less than that. image. Just want to get to my first goal of running 30 minutes non stop asap as i'm dissapointed at the delay. If you go to mapmyrun.co.uk and put it on hybrid view, you should be able to get a fairly accurate distance measurement of your run.

Colonel, lucky you with the 305. I hope to have one within the next couple of months. Shame you can't get out and give it a go as yet. How about a brisk walk?. When would you hope to give it a proper try out?

Jackie, I have also looked aty joing the local gym, but they want £43 a month and I can't justify that at the moment. Maybe when I have won the pools!

I am planning to go out again on thursday, for a run outside this time!. Can't wait, and will probably run/walk a 5k circuit near home. Don't fancy plodding through the bog which is my local field, and i'm never going near that cinder track again!

Off to Hastings this weekend with the family, so i'm going for a run along the coast at some point. That should be fun, if I can stand upright that is. image

All the best everyone

Darren

• Options
    Mick W. wrote (see)

Colonel, hat off to you for sticking with the ice baths! Have your 'nads re-appeared yet?!

LOLimageimage

TTN the 205 is the same as the 305 but no HRM, so cheaper too. i like the HRM, i certainly shows i have been working hard (i never look during a run, only after!)

CB i did try mine out on a walk first as i wasnt running that day. been borrowed by Mr Meglet tonight though, hes gone to try out his new shoes he bought today. (Saucony). and he's borrowed my yellow running jacket. at least i have an idea for his birthday next week.

• Options

I was thinking that you were somewhere around then before your injury! Thats really good, glad the bike has helped!

Sounds like things are going very well for you with the running! You will be running 30mins non stop before you know it!!! Was going to suggest we have a race see who gets there first but i know you would win haha!

Doh, never considered the hybrid view, although im struggling to remember exactly where we stopped to double back so it will still be a bit of a guess! Thanksimage!

• Options

Nic,

I don't think it's a done deal that I will get to 30mins first. I really struggled with 11 mins and I will probably suffer more injuries before I get there. Anyhow, sounds as if you are at around the same level judging by your last run.

Good luck with mapmyrun, and let us know how you get on tomorrow.

All the best

Darren

• Options

Wish i'd not tried the hybrid view, it seems to have somehow knocked a whole 1km off our distance which wasnt very long in the first place eek...thats the last time i listen to you hahaimage! although thats still a guess as to be honest i was too busy blethering to pay much attention! it was the first outing so tomorrow i will get my footpod on and get a more accurate reading on distance and hope its further!  think i might have to go out on my own on friday and do a more serious run to see just how much i can do when im not distracted by girly gossipimage!

Hopefully you wont suffer anymore injuries, if your sensible and take it slowly you will be ok, just dont push yourself too far!  Gawd first im sounding like AJ's mum now im sounding like yoursimage!!  CJ, im taking over as mother henimage!!!

Good luck with your next run!

• Options

Meglet, I notice youve been doing Zahada...what the hell is the answer to level 2?!?!  Its embarassing to admit this but i cant blooming get it and its doing my head inimageimage maybe i should give up now if i cant get past this one! I know im going to be slapping my head when i hear the answer!

Heres the riddle:

Pronounced as one letter,
    And written with three,
    Two letters there are,
    And two only in me.
    I'm double, I'm single,
    I'm black, blue, and grey,
    I'm read from both ends,
    And the same either way.