Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options

I think all the 305's come with an HRM Nic, it's real cool - my average heart beat is 78, modern technology rocks lol!

I've bitten the bullet about the race and pulled out.  I spoke to a sports masseur on the phone and he said if I run, I may do permanent damageso I said sod it, no race is worth that!  I'm not going to do any running for at least 4 weeks, and I'm just going to do loads of RICE-ing.

Ah, a run along the coast sounds great Daz, I'm envious of you...  I have to walk into town every morning to get the bus to my work so I'm goingto give the 305 a go tomorrow - can't wait.

I'm really mad for that bike I saw, at least I'll be able to crash in style lol!  Would anybody else ever consider a tri?

• Options

Colonel,

Sorry to hear about your need to withdraw from your race. But if the expert says you can do permanent damage by running then you are completely correct to pull out.

I don't know so much about a long run. I have mapped a route out, and it appears it's about 6k in length, which should take me from my in laws to the pier and back. I've worked it out that it's about 1/2 k to the seafront so it should be about a 5k loop to the pier and back. Also the 1/2 k back to my in laws from the sea front is up hill so if im feeling brave I may do that as well. image.

I hope the 305 walk tomorrow goes well and that you get to find out plenty about your new toy!image

Wouldn't consider a Tri but may consider a run/bike event.

Nic, I know the answer to the riddle. I won't completely give it away, but a clue would be I have said it 6 times in this message all be it spelt differently, and with a different meaning! It sounds the same though. image

Good luck

Darren

• Options

i thought it was ewe but it didnt work! is that right?! i feel so thick right now!

think pulling out sounds like a good plan CB, i had to do it for my first 10km on the 19th oct and it completely sucks but there are plenty more races and its not worth risking it! i do feel like a fraud wearing the tshirt when i havent ran the race though but might aswell get something for the money i lost!

Good luck tomorrow Darren!

dont think i would consider a tri but not going to completely rule anything out, need to master the running first!

i think your right CB they all seem to come with the HRM! The watch looks quite big, is it huge on your wrist?

• Options

Nic,

Sounds as one letter, so there for pronounced as a letter of the alphabet. Same forwards as backwards. Three letters in the word, but uses only two letters.

Hope it helps

Darren

P.S. Ewe is close but not correct.

• Options

TTN youre really close. try saying the alphabet slowly and thinking what word each letter sounds like. most of the answers are really elusive but obvious once you get them. I didnt do it the first time i tried as i couldnt get that first riddle, then came back a week later and got it. Zahada is driving me mad. are you sure you want to get involved?!image

Grrr, Mr Meglet borrowed my garmin and did 2.75 miles in 22 mins, thats 8 min miling, and "didnt break a sweat". image he reckons he could do a sub-50 10k. feeling pretty pleased with himself but has annoyed me now! admittedly, he cycles a lot and has aerobic fitness in buckets. he is aiming for a triathlon next year.

((in a whisper to CB, don't tell the others but i have a secret hankering to do a tri. only a small one mind. oh, and my swimming sucks. but am on the waiting list for lessons.))

• Options

oops, posted twice in error

• Options

oh god i feel like such a thicko...can you believe i actually have a degree....nope me neither!! off to recite the alphabet like a right eejit! wish you would just give me the blooming answer though hahaimage!

Not sure if i want to get involved but i do have another 2 weeks off before im away again so need something to fill the timeimage

grrr to your hubby meglet!! 

• Options

GOT IT WOOHOO imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

gawd its so bloody obvious now!!

• Options

Thanks! ive only gotten as far as level 4 without being stuck again though haha! think i better give up and go to bed now or i will be still sitting here at 3am trying to figure it out!

Nightimage

• Options

Morning all runners and Tri-athletes!  imageimage

The watch is quite big, Nic, but I'm sure I'll get used to it - it's not heavy though.

I've said about me doing a tri Daz, but, seeing as I swim like a brick, that may have to be a duathlon, depending on how my swimming lessons progress.

Like you all say, it's crap pulling out of a race, but I think I've done the right thing.  No, I have done the right thing.

Meg, we'll have to start a 'Newbies Tri' thread, as we're Tri-athletes, grrr lol.  I wouldn't worry about Mr. Meg doing 8 min miling, you'll be overtaking him soon!

• Options

Hi all, well I got very wet and wind-blown last night, but enjoyed it even though it was a fairly short session. They chucked in some hillier bits, and some faster stretches though, so it was still an 'effort'!

Today has dawned lovely and still, clear and sunny, but I'm at work, boo hoo!

Colonel, did the 'masseuse' manage to get yer 'nads back?!image ooh matron! Sorry to hear you've had to pull out of your race, but advice like that you're probably best off following.

Never really fancied a triathlon as such, but I've always fancied a bit of adventure racing;you know - mountain bike, run, canoe or whatever order it's done in. Never managed to find a like minded personat the right time though!

• Options
    Morning folks

What is all this talk about tris please don't go over to the dark side. Don't think I could do I tri I have all on motivating myself to do a 10k.

CB think you're doing the right thing re the race

Darren good luck with the run outside.

What is Zahada and where do i find out more about it. Probably not safe to let me know as I can get addicted to puzzles

Meglet hubby's can be annoying like that. Until he got a bad cold mine was making brilliant progress with his running find no problem increasing his running length : - ( but he's not been out for almost two weeks so think he may have set himself back a few weeks (which if I'm totally honest I'm a bit pleased about, I don't want him to be as quick as me yet)

Well totally knackered only got a couple of hours sleep last night. We got a call in the early hours of the morning to say my hubbys aunt had passed away. He had to dash up to his grandparents to be with them until his mum could get up there (she lives about hours drive away) Hoping I'll still be ok for a run later on as its such a gorgeous day.

Good news I've got a months free pass to the local authority gym. So I'm going to call in tomorrow to book an induction session.

Hope everyone else is good
  • Options

Hi All,

I got wind-blown too last night, though thankfully it wasn't raining.  It was a really hard run, and although I was running a loop, for some reason the wind was never behind me - why is that!?  Feeling a bit stiff today, so think I'll get out the Pilates DVD later....

TTN - I'm up to level 23, and am stuck....it's really frustrating .....but addictiveimage.

Mick - I'm a bit like you, wouldn't really fancy a triathlon (rubbish at and don't enjoy swimming), but would like to do something that includes running, cycling, and something else like canoeing....not quite fit enough yet though!!

CB - bad luck about the race, but you know you've done the right thing.

For those running today - enjoyimage

• Options

Jackie - Zahada website is:

http://www.mcgov.co.uk/zahada.html

As per my post above, it's frustrating and addictive......you have been warnedimage

• Options
    lxr thanks, I think. I know what you mean about the wind. I never seem to be running with the wind behind me
  • Options

Just thought I'd pop in and say Hi

I had a rotten, stinking, rotten cold last week so didn't run, but am back on the plan now repeating Week 2 - and using my new Garmin 305 which is great fun!

• Options
    lxr, you need the answers to the previous levels to do 23, i think thats the one with the owl.
  • Options
    Meglet - I had a feeling that might be the case....damn, that means I'm going to have to scroll back through them all.......didn't think to take a note at the time...
  • Options

Afternoon!!

Jac...say no to Zahada...its addictive!!!  I got to level 4 at midnight last night so figured it was safer to go to bed than sit up til the early hours trying to figure out the answer!!  Luckily i did as ive been building furniture all morning and ive still got a drawer for cd's to build aargh!  So much for Next telling me they would deliver it on Thurs or Fri!! Got the impression they had tried to deliver it yesterday when i was out too!!  Hey ho, ive got it now so its all good!

Sorry to hear you had a crap cold smint! Glad to hear your back on track now!

Adventure racing sounds a bit more appealing than a tri Mick! Maybe that could be the Newbies Challenge 2010!! 10km next year then world domination after thatimage!!!! Have images of us starting a newbie pirates thread at this rate!

Nice one on the months free pass Jac!  Make sure your mp3 players loaded with lots of good songs before you get on the treadmill, its the only thing that keeps me going on it anyway! Sorry to hear about your hubbys aunt, hope the family are ok.

Well my plans for a run with my friends have been scuppered tonight as i forgot i had promised to meet another friend for tea! Hoping to get out this afternoon if i manage to get my furniture build and all my dvds and cd's put away..if not theres always tomorrow!

Have a good day everybody! image

• Options
    http://z.about.com/d/running/1/0/M/-/-/-/swimmers2000.jpg

Afternoon folks - too many posts to reply to individually, so, apologies to those I miss!

Mick, yep, was in Bradford at time of Ripper - he was caught in Christmas holiday of my final year - had a huge impact on us all.  Can still hear that Geordie voice (the guy they thought was Jack).............  Glad you and Joss are still getting out - must be great on t'moors.

AJ, sorry about injuries, love the cat.  I'm a cat person too, in case you hadn't realised!  My first two lived to 19/22 yrs old, including coming to USA with me - spent 6 months in quarantine when we got back and wouldn't talk to me.  When I used to visit them in quarantine, one would always turn her back on me and walk away.  When we finally got them home, they went straight back to their usual hiding place (in the airing cupboard) as if they'd never been away, yet they'd been gone 2 - 3 yrs.

CB, way to go on the icing - I've never had the courage (nor a big enough freezer ) for an ice bath, but do use a gel pack - although I'm not convinced of the benefits of ice as it takes me so long afterwards to defrost, that I tend to seize up.  Sympathy re race, but you've done the best thing.  Grt news about Garmin though.

Dazza/Nic, great to hear progress on your fronts - you must be really pleased

Jac/lxr, glad to hear it's going well - any races looming?  If I've got it totally wrong, then blame old age, plus, there is too much I've missed to re-read all the postsimage

Smint, good to hear from you again.

Osa, was in Tesbury's the other day, buying supplies for No 2 child - 2 x beef and tomato, 1 x southern fried and 1 x chow mein PN - thought of you!  But didn't get him any red wine!  Hope PF not playing up too much.

Meglet, been out with the clubs lately - or too busy with the zahada thread - haven't tried it yet, am afraid to in case I get the bug too.

As you can see, I've gone over to the DARK SIDE and have been a bit busy in the last few daysimage Not!  Actually, I have decided do more swimming (image) don't particularly enjoy it, but need to cut back on running  - so will swop 1 x run for  1 x swimathon (yuk, but found this) http://www.zoggs.com/images/stories/swimfit_for_summer.pdf ) 

Can't quite get backside in gear to go this week, will try (tri!!??) next - will let you know how it goes, but don't hold out much hope for fun and excitement. 

Know someone who has done "gym tri's " ie in sports centres using equipment rather than outside.  Would be interested (possibly) but can't get the hang of looking after a bike, need No 1 child to sort mine out, so that rather limits me I think...........................

Hope the sofa arrives Nic, haven't usually had probs with Next before, so unusual for them, but annoying when you sit around and they arrive 5 mins after you (eventually) go out!

Hi to everyone else I've missed.

• Options

CJBA you have just had me drooling, am off for a run tonight & know exactly what I'll be buying for my celebratory dinner!

Am so chuffed the weather changed, it looks perfect for running but is anyone else finding the leaves a bit treacherous just now? Also there is a section of my run about 500m where the street lights are out & it is pitch black, I had to stop a few times the first night as could only see the path when car headlights lit it up. Am keeping my fingers crossed that PF doesn't play up tonight, I have been wearing 4 inch heels all week & rolling & stretching too. I am quite sore after my body pump yesterday so don't think I will be too pacy tonight.

Thanks for the tip about the buff wear Mick I will check that out.

Hiya to everyone else!

Love Osa xx

• Options

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/736/bustergonad2afbaa0zu5.png

CB, this one's for you - see that even Viz are getting in on the tri scene................image

• Options

Thanks for that CJ, appreciate it...image

I know exactly what you mean about leaves on the road Osa, they really annoy me, and, like you say, they're dangerous too.  

I do recommend ice baths CJ, they're good for the soul, although the air does turn blue when I put a foot in!  As for not wanting to do tri's, I think Mick and CJ should join me...  What do you reckon, guys?

Hi again Smint, where you been?

• Options

i went to Leeds in *cough* 1989 and the Ripper stories were still scary then. Not sure about truth but i did often walk from my halls down a backroad to headingley past Lupton flats where one victim was supposed to have been found.

no club this week, they were having a theatre trip instead! but will go again next monday.running tomorrow morning though, 5 miles, big hill near start of route then levels and downhill at end.

• Options

I was coughing, snuffling and losing my voice completely, Colonel Blimp, so took a week out, but am back on the plan now

Loving my Garmin 305, even though I'm only using it in a really limited way so far

The nearest I'm going to get to an ice bath is somewhere for the beers and wine to chill at a party. I'm not good with the cold!

• Options

Smint, I think you should embrace the ice baths, go for it - you know it makes sense!!!!

Although I haven't used my new 305 I bought yesterday in anger yet, it looks absolute class, I can't wait 'til I'm fit again so I'll be able to give it a proper test.

• Options

Glad I'm not the only one to remember Viz (Buster Gonads for you young un's)image

I left Bradford in 19 (coughs even louder) 81, so all of my time was spent in the shadow of the Ripper - even when he was caught, we were still wary!

How much ice do you use in an ice bath (appreciate that it sounds as if I'm having a "blond" moment) but I presumed that it needed to be sufficient to cover the affected part (in my case foot), so as I don't have enough ice trays.......................!    At least with the gel bag stuff, it freezes, then can be moulded around foot.  I have 2, one on, one in freezer, then swapped around as I ice x 3 each day.

I have an exercise bike at home, so do you think you (as in one) could get in enough cycling training (thinking tri here) as there's no way I could go out and do the miles they recommend?

Good luck with run tomorrow Meglet, hope it goes well.   Hope the weather is OK.  I did 6m today, lovely weather - but the leaves are a b@gger.   My long route takes me along leaf-strewn paths, and as they are so uneven, I tend to walk - not about to break anything for a few manky leaves!

Apologies now, but a bit of trumpet-blowing image imagehave just checked my readings for today, 1mile laps:

10'07 / 9'19 / 8'56 / 8'59 / 9'16 / 9'56 (last half mile up hillimage) Still not got the hang of negative splits though!

Right, show off time over now image

• Options

It made me cold just reading about them - I had to go and put the kettle on for a coffee!

I love uploading my route (now I've used it the grand total of . . . twice!) and seeing the route and my pace. At one point Id broken ino a "fast jog" which is where I'd put on a spurt to cross the road. My Garmin is the closest I'm going to get to cool!