Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options

Thanks for the link, TTN - will have a browse round the rest of the site as well . . . . just in case  image

I'm being sensible (rare for me!) in repeating Week 2 as I missed last week, so looking forward to building up next week. Having the Garmin is SO good - really motivating. I get ridiculously excited about uploading my run, and I'm sure it'll be great to look back on

Well done on entering the BUPA 10K, Osa - I suppose I ought to start looking at 5Ks for December - but not quite yet . . .

• Options

I would definately have a look Smint! They have some nice stuff and very cheap technical tee's which i think i will buy next time i need one, aslong as your not bothered by having dorunning plastered on the front, although it didnt bother me today

Ha, i was going to ask if anyone else got excited about uploading their data from their garmin so youve answered my question! i go straight home and upload the data before even having a shower...its really sad but i have to do it straight away and also log my training on fetcheveryone.com!

• Options

Hi all, there's so many posts I've forgotten who said what!

Smint, glad you're sticking with it. Before you know it, you'll have reached that first milestone - a solid ten minutes, then a solid twenty. Then it'll be wondering if you should enter a race...! Ha ha, then you'll be hooked!

Nice to see everyone getting into buffs. What patterns have you gone for? I did have one with sheep on it, but I dropped it somewhere up Whernside in the snow last year, and when I went back for it, it had disappeared. Sob! I really liked that one! They do a 'three peaks' one too - might have to finally do the 3 peaks 'officially', so I can join the club and get THAT one! Joking apart, they are useful bits of kit.

Osa and the Colonel, your injuries must be getting you down by now. I hope you get over them soon. Touch wood (taps head) I've been fairly lucky so far - hurt my foot on t'Fellsman earlier this year, had a nasty mtb injury a couple of years back, but otherwise, apart from a knee pain a few years ago I've been ok. Maybe it's my lack of speed which keeps me injury free - I'll never be a sprinter!

Last night's run...hard work. We did about 6 1/2 miles, that had 5 hills in it, and the pace was a bit fast for me. I struggled to keep up, but the buggers wouldn't leave me behind! I got very hot too, as I wore a light jacket thinking it would rain but it didn't. Anyone do waterproof t-shirts???

Well, that'll do for now. iIt may be a coupla days before I get back here as me and Mrs W. are off to Alnwick for the weekend. Hopefully I'm going to get some new running shoes (road ones) as I think my offroaders aren't cushioned enough for my lardy frame. The bottoms of my feet feel a bit tender this morning.

Ta ta For Now.

• Options

Mick, well done on your run. its amazing how going with people makes you push yourself much more.

definitely get some road shoes-Mr Meglet has found a really big difference. he wore his (very old) off road shoes for about 2 miles on road and had really sore feet. new road shoes are much more comfy and his foot is better. i have done the opposite and just bought some offroaders, like them, but could feel how less cushioned for the roads. sounds like a good excuse to go to the running shop anyway!

• Options

Morning!

Thanks Nic, the instruction videos had me in knots, not unlike the buff itself! Highly amusing, they are like an accessory dream come true! Will peruse the designs at my leisure over the weekend, which one did you get?

Have a great weekend Mick.

Love Osa xx

• Options

http://data1.blog.de/media/570/564570_738a809791_m.jpg

Found this Osa..........!!!  forget the drink after the race................... Looks like Viz combined with PN

Hope everyone well and injuries healing - sorry that PF flaring again, TTN and Osa, keep stretching, rolling and maybe take mileage down, or include walking.  Any joy with the Next delivery?

Mick, sounds like you did really well to keep up with them, image hope you have  a good weekend.

Smint, glad to hear that you're doing well - entering a race is great motivation - great to have something to aim for.

CB, hope you're getting better.

Meglet, my winter fitflops arrived today, feel a bit strange but comfortable.  The seem to be smaller than the normal ones though. 

Dazza, hope it's going well - we haven't heard about carrot sticks in a while!

lxr, thanks for message, think that was too much for my war wound though, distinctly unhappy, so taking it really easy.  Agree with you re speed!  And it's only for a few minutes!

Jac, out you go girl......................

Spent day painting woodwork, rest of it to be done tonight - talk about watching paint dry......................  !!!!One thing I've learnt over last few days, Crown "one coat" definitely ain't  Doesn't do what it says it will on the tin. 

Apologies to anyone I've missed, too many posts going on (and I'm not getting notifications - again) but hope everyone has good weekend.

• Options

Hello!! Been helping out in the office today and thought i was going to come on and scroll through a load of chat but you have all been very quiet!!

Gee CJ your not still painting woodwork are you?! you have my sympathies! make sure you dont stand up for a long time in your bare feet painting that really buggered up my foot!! Although im probably preaching to the convertedimage!!

Heres the buff I went for (ive put the link in as i dont think the photo has worked as its not showing up on my computer?! 

http://null/images/10612.jpg

Your run last night sounds tough Mick, glad to hear that you managed though!  Nice to have people there to push you further!

Tell me about it with the instruction video, very confusing! I was like so you twist the what round the eh...nevermind!!  Although you will be pleased to hear that you get an instruction dvd with your buff!! ha, imagine buying a bit of fabric and needing instructions on how to use it!

Hoping i get a chance to go out a run tomorrow, although my bf is home for the weekend so not sure if i will get a chance, might be sunday night instead!

My PF has been fine, was wondering how it would be after going out yesterday as 54mins is the longest ive ran/walked for so thought it might be a bit painful but its been ok, phew!! Im definately not needing to go back to the beginning of the programme and seem to be doing better than i was before the injury..weird! going to keep doing the same route and hopefully see an improvement in the time and how much of it im running!

Have a good weekend everyone, you prob wont hear from me either over the weekend! Good luck to everyone running!   Have a nice time with Mrs W Mick!!  

• Options

Have a good weekend Mick, make sure you get a run in!  Well done on that club run, isn't it better running with other people?!

Not sure whether to get a buff, I'm thinking it's not really an essential piece of kit - anyone want to put me straight on that?

I don't know about Osa, but, yes, my injury is really starting to get me down now.  The mind's able but the body just isn't...  image

CJ, paint never does cover anything in one coat - it's just a gimmick (or a blatant lie, whatever you want to call it)!

• Options

I will report back to you after my next run to let you know what i think of the buff!! I get really sore ears if its windy or cold so need something to cover them up so for me its essential as hats never seem to stay down over my ears!

Its really frustrating when your injured CB but your doing the right thing, the more you rest the quicker you will be back out there again!!  I just spent the time off looking at running clothes and races i could enter, it keeps the motivation going a bit oh and chatting on here and hearing about how everyone else is getting on (although was a bit jealous reading how well everyone was doing to be honest!)

• Options

Yeah, the week is over, and now, no more work for 10 days!  Finally the Nile Cruise I booked what feels like an age ago has come around image.

We fly out on Monday, so I'll be fitting in one last run tomorrow.

No running whilst on holiday, though there'll be lots of walking involved visiting all the historical sties...so I won't be completely lazy!

CB - re investing in a buff - I've found it really useful in this weather it keeps my ears warm - but another benefit is it keeps any sweat out of the eyes!   It's also not very thick so you don't get too hot under it.

CJ - hope your war wounds improve soon.

• Options
    Just a quickie, have a great time lxr, have never been to Egypt, but my sister went and she had a great time - said one of the best holidays she'd ever had - the sites really took her breath away.

CB, you're right, you'd think I'd now, I used to work in marketing so was responsible for coming up with all those claims that you get on packaging.............!

Don't know what's happened to this site, my tool bar has disappeared...... so can't do anything but type in.

Nic, moved on to my bedroom now, hoping to finish off woodwork tonight, re-arrange No 1 child's room tomorrow, then it's sitting room next week. Have ordered new fire which is being installed (late!) on Monday, after which, paint brushes will be out again!
  • Options
    CB, i have two buffs, a standard one, and one with a fleece part at one end. useful for all sorts of things. filling that gap round your neck (yes i know thats what a scarf is for but a buff is thinner and less bulky), found thats good on a frosty night. wear it on a cold day under my cycle helmet, it can cover face/ears as needed, (you see, if you are aiming for tris you deffo need one). wear it for skiing (the kids have them too). mind you, if you are defecting to the pirates you will be turning all yellow and black on us!
  • Options

Incase I dont get on this weekend to say it nearer the time Enjoy your holiday lxr!!! Doesnt seem like that long since you were telling us you were booked on it!!  Very jealous, your going on my dream holiday...maybe one day i will get there!!  Dont think you will need to run with all the walking you will be doing!

This website really doesnt like you does it CJ, its always mucking you aboutimage!!  Sounds like your almost there!! Its never fun doing decorating but so worth it when its all over and you can stand back and admire your work! Im planning on a new bathroom in the new year, its the only bit of my flat that hasnt been done up since i moved in and its a right mess..which is terrible as ive only got 1 bedroom and a kitchen/livingroom! dreading all the mess it will make though!

Right really better go get organised for picking up the bf from the airport or i will be late!! Toodle pip!!

• Options

Hi all,

CJBA I am sitting waiting for my dinner, taunting me with pictures of pot noodle is just plain mean! I must admit when I pick them up in the supermarket I tend to do it quite furtively & hide them in my basket, underneath some veg, ha, ha!

Went to spin tonight so feel quite good, the heel is achy still but am doing my stretches, not sure if running tomorrow is a good idea but will give it a go.

LXR your holiday sounds brilliant, you must be dead excited!

Your buff is lovely Nic, you must let me know which of the 12 options you choose when you wear it!

Can you do anything else apart from running CB?, I plan to lay off the impact after Sunday to give the heel a rest, am going to stick to spin & body pump.

Hi to everyone else!

Love Osa xx

• Options
    Evening folks

Will I did it I went out (hooray!) Thanks CB the kick helped. Did 3.26 miles in 31.58 just over 9 minute mile YIPEEE Think i've found a route near home that I can do so don't need to drive there. REALLY looking forward to my long run on Sunday now.

Ixr can't believe your holiday has come around already. have a good one.

Smit the sinsus are loads better think the wine helped. Just to be sure having a glass or two tonight.

Osa think a drink after the race next Sunday will definitely be on the cards need something to aim for.

CJ are you doing more DIY you have my respect.

Mick enjoy Alnwick we were there for our holiday and loved the castle. Didn't get chance to go to the castle gardens which looked lovely.

right off to watch Terry do strictly come dancing on Children in Need.

Have a good weekend one and all

jac

• Options
    I'm actually going swimming tomorrow Osa, the start of my quest to become a triathlete!  Whilst I'm there, I might do a bit of pool running - I'll see.
  • Options

Just lost my message again, is it just me or is the forum a bit glitchy?

Hi CB, good to hear you can cross train, this was my problem before I discovered spin, if I couldn't do impact stuff I did nothing. I tried swimming but unfortunately although I enjoy it I can only do breaststroke, think I would need lesson to learn how to do the crawl properly! What is pool running?

Sounds like a plan Jac, that is sure to make us run faster! Well hop for me the way I am going!

Love Osa xx

• Options

AAGGHH problems again, think it's due to Virgin messing around again - you need to sort your employees out Mr Branson!  Keep losing and regaining interwebby connection.

For those budding tri's - found this

http://www.zoggs.com/images/stories/swimfit_for_summer.pdf

have decided to give it a go, no idea how long it will take me to thrash up and down pool - hopefully not all day - but war wound on gammy leg giving me gyp and can see it building up on non-gammy leg, so getting a bit worried nowimageimage

CB, hope you enjoy swim (if those two words fit into same sentence)

• Options

Osa, I swim like a house brick, I'm terrible.  One length would be a struggle at the moment, and I lack confidence in the water.  However, I'm so determined, I'm going to take swimming lessons and go to the pool every week from now on.  I will get there.  image

Pool running is basically running in the pool, there's no danger of getting injured, so it's all good.  The resistance of the water makes for a good work out.  Just google it, the way I've described it isn't very good, if I'm honest...

I've looked at that 'swimfit for summer yoke and there's no way I'm up to that standard - yet.  But, as I've already stated, I'm so bloody determined, nothing's going to stand in my way.  Grrrrr lol!

• Options

Jackie - just in case I was going to develop sinusitis, I had to have 2 glasses of wine tonight. Must have worked as no sinusitis at all!

Mick - I loved Alnwick when I went there, although I'd just studied Henry IV Part 1 at school and so was a bit of a Harry Hotspur groupie and Alnwick Castle was the family home. Loved Dunstanburgh Castle too! Haver a great holiday

Gad the pf is behaving, osa - does the buff come with a buff man, or do I have to find my own?   image It sounds . . . . errr . . . . complicated!

Doing my timed mile tomorrow, then on to Week 3 . . . and deciding when I'm going to do my first 5K image

• Options

Colonel, join the club, i don't swim very well and lack water confidence. i can swim with my face in the water only if wearing a snorkel mask, might look odd in my local pool. i did try some crawl on holiday, using the snorkel so i didnt have to worry about breathing! did about 10metres and was knackered. have my name down for lessons. also determined to conquer it (my kids enjoy swimming and both swim crawl/breast/back very well).

nice day here, but run planned for tomorrow with a friend to check out Chevin Chase routeimage

• Options

Morning, well afternoon now!

Did my usual run, first part was great but then I turned into the wind for the last part & honestly it was like running on the spot, so frustrating, actually felt like stopping I was going so slow but persevered & hit my runners high (same place as usual). Was wearing my stopwatch & as soon as I felt the rush I checked my watch & it was exactly 1hr 0 minutes & 0 seconds, it was so freaky, had heard it kicks in after about an hour but didn't know it was exactly on the hour, ha, ha! Enjoyed the last 3 minutes of my run after that! Foot was sore while i was running but doesn't feel too bad now, stretched it for ages, have 8 sets of stairs up to the flat & stretch both calves & achilles on each flight, it really helps! Am knackered now though so am just cooking brunch, fried mashed potato cakes & poached eggs!

Have my parents coming over for dinner tonight so will be mad busy tidying the flat & shopping today.

CB have you ever tried spin? I don't know if your injury would be aggravated by this but if not it is by far the best way i know to keep your fitness levels up impact free.

Smint you check out the videos on the buff site they are hilarious!

How is everyone else doing?

Love Osa xx

• Options

I'm not even at the stage where I could put my face in the water Meg, I really am that bad!  My 10 year old can swim lengths with her face going in and out of the water - she's like Michael Phelps lol!

What is spin Osa?  Is it like excercise bikes?  I'm probably wrong lol.  I'll do anything to keep my fitness levels up at the moment, without the impact...

• Options

Hi CB, I don't know if you have access to a gym, most do spin classes, they are bikes with a spin wheel & have gears, the instructor basically tells you what gear to be in, what speed you should be doing & for each song you tend to do a different thing, it is incredibly challenging but so good for your fitness. I had my resting heart rate checked a couple of years & the lady asked me if I was a runner, I said no & she said my heart rate was quite low & she usually only sees that in runners, the only thing I can contribute it to is spin, it really helped with my lower leg injuries too as it strengthens the quads & hamstrings. I love it, classes are usually 45 minute long but that is more than enough. Anyway I will get off my spin soapbox, ha, ha!

When I started swimming I didn't put my head under but it really hinders your stroke, I always wear good goggles & as long as you remember to breath out when your head is under you will be fine CB, you will be churning up the pool in no time!

Love Osa xx

• Options

I think I'd last about 45 seconds in a spin class! And that would include getting on and off the bike!

I love swimming and can swim a mile reasonably comfortably - but only indoors and it would be very slow. I haven't been for ages, though. I don't think I'm tri material somehow   image

• Options

Evenin' everyone!

Hope your all having a good weekend!  Found a quiet moment to get on here and see if theres any goss!  Your all scaring me with your talk of swimming and spin!  Im going to master running first before trying anything else!

Didnt go out a run today but went out a nice long walk with the bf's dog who jumped all over me with her muddy paws, looked like a right state by the end of it caked in mud...all good funimage!  Tried out a new pair of walking shoes today and i now have PF'y pains in both feet aargh! I now have 2 pairs of shoes hardly worn that are no use for walking in now!! Looks like im just going to have to keep running instead!

Well im going to put the pot noodle eaters to shame by telling you that ive just made a lovely pot of broccolli and stilton soup and a raspberry and blackberry crumble...just call me Nigelaimage!

Have you tried out the pool running CB?

Sorry to hear your war wounds playing up CJ! Are you getting PF in your other foot?

So wine prevents Sinutitus eh?!  Better pour myself a glass or two tonight then as a preventative method!

Have a good night!

• Options

I actually didn't go swimming today Nic, so can't report on the pool running.  I definitely intend to go either tomorrow or next week so I'll let you all know how good/bad it is.

Just got back home from an horrendous 18th birthday party.  The pub was crap, it was full of kids, the food was just grease and the band was like a working mens club, 1970's, country & western job - awful!  I feel suicidal now!

• Options

CB i think next time skip the b'day and go for a swim. I really like to swim although i don't feel very stong at it and have somewhat limited shoulder movement on one side which means i can't quite swim in a straight line unless i do breast stroke... it can be a bit embarrassing in the pool swiming into the rope, other people etcimage That said, I am determined to put that right though and alll this talk of a tri has set my mind going (and probably stolen my soul too)

no running this weekend, my ankle is a little sore i think i turned it a little on the way home from the pub after my birthday drinks, might go back to the gym for a little go on the bike again, did 9k on it yesterday, it was harder than i thought.

hope all are well,

• Options

Oh no, what have I started with all this talk of doing a tri?!  image

Leg's still bad, it's so frustrating not seeing any improvement,  is it ever going to get back to 100%?image

Shame about your ankle Mark, hope it clears up quickly.  More and more people are getting injured on here - when will it end?