Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options
    Come on Jackie, you've got to love the tri's...  image  I reckon you'll be joining me on the start line in a wet suit image
  • Options

Hi everyone, I am back. Alnwick was a nice weekend away, I got some new bits with the proceeds from selling my mountain bike, and I now have a stinking cold. It isn't man-flu, but it's not far off!

I don't know where to begin with catching up with you all, so I'll be rude and not bother. I just thought I'd say "Hi" and hope everyone's doing well with their running, that all the injuries are healing nicely, and a warm welcome to our latest poster, who's name escapes me at the mo...image. She knows who I mean!

• Options
    Welcome back Mick, I presume you'll be telling us all about your trip?
  • Options
    Hi all, I have been running for about two months now. Done 5k on Sunday then went out after work tonight and really struggled legs felt really heavy. The last thing I had to eat was at lunchtime. Could it be lack of food or poor warm up. or is it just a hangover  from Sunday as this was my longest run so far. Any tips would be appreciated
  • Options

Hi Paul welcome, well done on the 5k. I think you're probably right on both counts it's most likely a combination of not having eaten and not having recovered fully from sunday. i quite often find that it can take a bit of time to recover from a long run. i guess the only thing to do is not to worry (unless it persists) and you should find it eases up and next time you'll be better. Remember the most important part is to rest, that's when you'll get the most benefit or so they say

Mick, forgetting names already...was that holiday really a trip to the funny farm?image

• Options

Just checked back...hello Diana, I meant! (funny farm - cheeky bugger!)image

Alnwick was nice, not been there before. Well, not the town, I've visited the castle previously. I like castles, bit of a history buff, so Northumberland's a good spot for me. We went to Alnwick Gardens this time, and that's very nice - lots of water sculptures (I got wet) and the world's biggest tree-house, woodland walks and stuff. A tenner's a bit steep to get in, but hey, it's not like I'm going every week, isit? Holy Island got a visit, so did Morpeth (my cousin's fiancee, who was with us, grew up there so it was a nostalgia job). No running, got a cold and overall enjoyed it. I was quite impressed with Alnwick, and I think we'll be visiting the area again before too long. The beaches are beautiful up there, and I fancy a run on one. Slow motion, an orchestra playing just out of site over the dunes...

Should have been a club run last night, but didn't due to having a cold. Wimp, I hear you say...

...and you're probably right.

• Options
    Mark Donnelly 6 wrote (see)
    P.S how did the race go Edster? what distance was it and how did you do?image

Hi Mark (and everyone else!)

The race was a 5 mile cross country (although my watch said it was only 7.5km). Finished it in 44:30 which with a 2.5km hill in the middle I was quite pleased with. And it was good to see around 40 people from running clubs below me too! image

Ended up 55th out of 120 (and another 12 that didn't finish). Although I wasn't going for position obviously, just to finish it without stopping! Which I did. Was trying to find a 10km road race before 13th Dec (in the Midlands) but can't find one so will just wait til next year now.

• Options

Welcome back Mick did you see my post from sunday evening about running some of Chevin Chase route. but then again it might be better not to knowimage.

hi Paul. What Mark said. we all have off-days. even the people who have been running ages have them.

• Options

Hi all,

Mick, welcome back. Sounds like you had a very relaxing break.

Welcome Paul. Firstly, you have done really well to complete a 5k on the back of only 2 months running, well done.image Did you run it all, or was it a combination of run/walk, and what was your time?. As others have said, we all have off days. It could be though that you are coming down with something. There are lots of coughers and splutterers out there at the moment. Any how, don't let it put you off. Im sure if you give yourself a few days to recover then your next outing will be great.

Ed, well done on your 5 mile time. A 2.5k hill? Ouch, that sounds painful! image

Im going out for a 5k plod myself in a couple of hours. Will post here later this evening or tonight to let you all know how I get on.

All the best everyone

Darren

• Options

wetsuit eh colonel now there's a thought image

mark glad you enjoyed the trip and sorry to hear you've got a cold.  Totally agree about Alnwick's beaches although hiring an orchestra to accompany the run may prove to be a bit expensive image.  Have you been to bamburgh? 

Edster well done on the race and time.  Pity you couldn't get a 10k

Welcome Paul.  Totally agree with the others.  I did a 10k on Sunday and then a session on the cross trainer yesterday and now my legs are killing me. 

Darren good luck with the run.

Rest day for me but off out for a small run tomorrow, last one before race on Sunday.

Hope everyone else is good. 

jac

• Options

Everyone on here is so friendly. image

I might try and do the Fradley 10km course and see how I do. If I can run that far!

W**k is dragging today. And I'm stuck here til 6:30pm too. *sigh*

• Options

Edster, if you have run 5 hilly miles then a 10k should be no probsimage.

I, however, am starting to have serious wobbles about the boxing day race. nearly 7 VERY hilly miles. and a 10k is the longest i have done so far. last years results show the last person at about 1h30m. i will be pretty close to the back for sureimage.

Looks like it could be chilly on sunday though for my (flat) 10k. just gives me clothing dilemmas-what to wear to keep warm at start, but not to get too hot on run.

• Options

Good luck for the 7 hilly miles Meglet! Just stay at your own pace and you'll be fine. It'll be a PB whatever time you do. image

I think 1h 30m for something that hilly would be pretty respectable!

• Options

meglet know what you mean about what to wear, the forecast up here for the weekend is a bit of everything, including snow and the temperature is meant to be freezing and at some point during the day get to -2.image

Normally I wear long leggings, vest base layer and long sleeved top, plus a waterproof it is raining o extremely cold.  Think thermals may be the order of the day, that or run fast to keep warm

• Options

Hi folks, sorry, missed too many posts to reply to all, so apologies if I miss you, age-induced memory loss.

Mick, glad to see you back, was going to ask if you and Mrs MW had a good weekend, obviously you did, sounds lovely.

CB hope leg getting better - any sign of improvement?

JM, hope race goes well - love the comment about running fast to keep warmimage  Feel sorry for you tho, looks like you might have to run pretty fast..................

Mark, how's it going, seem to remember things weren't too brilliant a while back, hopefully all getting better now.

Dazza, glad to hear from you and particularly that recovery going well.

Meglet, I wear long-sleeved jacket that I take of after warm up, tie around waist while running, then whip it back on for cool-down.  Hope you have a good time at the weekend.

Edster - way to goimage you sure put some of the club bods to shame!!

Osa, now that I remember, you really need to stretch all the time, not just when running - sad but true!

AJ - how's it going?  Must be cold outside as my two felines have spent the day inside...................

TTN, how are you getting on?  How's the foot?

Diana and all newbies, welcome, hope you find us friendly and useful!

Smint - how's progress?

You'll all be very glad to know that I  wimped out of going swimming today, spending too much time watching paint dry (and putting up curtain poles, towel rails, retouching paint splodges.............)

Hoping for easy 6m tomorrow, but No 1 Child will be at home, so not sure, then Friday, No 2 Child at home - so, shame, won't be able to make it to poolimageimageimageimage

Oh well, there's always next week....................................

• Options

afternoon everyone!!  yikes loads to catch up on!

Mick - glad you enjoyed your holiday!  Alnwick sounds really nice!

Meglet, my last run was pretty cold, i wore tights, a base layer and think waterproof which was ok, if you have a jacket you can remove if you get too warm you will be fine.  you could always try out your pink aldi one!! ive not gotten round to using mine yet but think i will tomorrow!

Well done Ed! Brilliant time for your 5 miler!  I think if you can do 5 miles in that time a 10km will be easy, and as you say any time is a pb!

Hope youve got your itching sorted out Diane! Did the moisturiser work?

Yikes Jac -2, bet it will be like that in Aberdeen too, its been absolutely freezing here!! Although we had a bit of sun today!

Hows the leg and 6 pack coming along CB?  Think we are going to have to ban you from all this tri talkimageimage!

Welcome Paul! I agree with what everyone else has been saying it will have been a conbination of being tired and hungry! Sounds like your doing very well though!

Hello Darren, Osa and Mark!!  CJ where are you? youve been quiet!! Hope your not stuck painting still!

Not made it out for a run yet, my best mate has been down visiting from Inverness and i was too busy tidying to get  out a run yesterday morning and ive been dragged round a million shops yesterday and today trying to find her maternity clothes so im knackered! Need to get out a run tomorrow as i was out for lunch and dinner yesterday and i will be out for lunch and dinner today, thats the problem with having time offshore is whenever i plan to meet up with friends in my timeit always revolves around food and i will be doing lots of eating out over the weekend too eek!  Ive been repeating to myself all afternoon "i will order and salad tonight, i will order a salad tonight"

Well happy running everyone!! Im off to beautify myself for tonightimage!

• Options

Oops cross post CJ, i take back my comment about you being quiet!!image 

Foots been a bit sore thanks for asking, my usually comfy shoes were giving me a bit of jip yesterday so im having a bit of a footwear crisis now!! going to rest and stretch it and see how it goes and hopefully will be ok for tomororw!!

Sounds like youve been a very busy woman, no time in there for swimming, shameimage!!  Enjoy your "easy" 6 miles (not sure if i can really bring myself to put the word easy infront of 6 miles...doesnt compute in my brain!)

• Options

TTN think my Aldi jacket will be too warm to run in. i usually wear a short sleeve top and lightweight yellow jacket, which ends up round my waist after about 20mins as i seem to get pretty hot. gloves usually last 10mins!

however, did do one run in zero degrees, for which had gloves, base layer, short tee, and jacket, and buff. gloves lasted 40mins, rest stayed on. was hoping to avoid bright jacket for race, but it is thin and pretty warm. i am thinking along the lines of a short sleeved base layer, a long sleeved top, perhaps the jacket, and the useful bin liner while waiting for the start! This is worse than planning an outfit for a night out!

• Options
    What about the shoes and handbagimage
  • Options

Not to mention lippy and slapimageimage

I have a slightly weird problem, my arms get colder than my body, so while I don't nec need the layers on my bod, I do on my arms - saw a bloke running with short sleeve top and what looked like "separate" long sleeves (almost like those long gloves ladies used to wear without glove bits) sorry, appalling explanation but can't find any other way to describe it.  Never seen anything in shops though.  I need the sleeves that are left after you take them off a gilet!!

• Options
    my hubby has sleeves and legs for cycling! try a cycle shop.
  • Options

Hi everyone,

I didn't manage to my body pump last night cause I was working late so am going for a 7 mile run tonight & won't do anything else before Sunday, my legs are always fatigued so will be a novelty to run with them fresh, Have been looking at the weather forecast Jac, someone said heavy rain & 30mph winds but that was for Ayr, looks like light rain & only 13mph for Sunday, no matter, I don't think I have anything remotely suitable to run  in no matter what the weather, have been taking to run in a fleece but when I told my running friend Julie she looked at me as if I was crazy!!

After run I am off to Ikea to buy a CD tower, hubby finally got round to putting a shelf unit up in the cupboard last night for the CD/DVD box mountain only to find we don't have enough room, I didn't want a CD tower but relented as long as it goes in the wee hall next to the door & I don't have to look at it!

Am jealous Nic of all your eating out, last night for dinner I made cheese toasties (now renamed charcoal toastie) accompanied by mcccain crispy fries (now re-named burnt to a crisp fries). Yes I managed to burn both the chips & the toastie, I am a culinary disaster!!!

Hi CJBA! I have come to realise that I will never get on top of this pf unless I am rigorous about my stretching routine, it is just getting into the routine I am having a problem with! Think I need to set up a reminder on my phone so I get into a routine of doing them 3 times a day.

Hiya to everyone else!!

Any luck sorting your itch problem Diane?

Love Osa xxx

• Options

CJ try these: http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/cycle-clothing/mens-clothing/arm-leg-warmers

well the ankle is still a little tender so my run this evening is off, but i think i'll hit the gym and do some rowing cross trainer and bike (never know when you might need to be fit enough to ride a bike...those tri's are sounding more and more interesting as the days wear on)

• Options
    the gore windstopper ones (arms/leg warmers that is) will be very good.
  • Options

Hi all, this weekend's supposed to be bad, innit?! I haven't seen a weather forecast for this part of the world, but the most I'll be doing is a short trot along the canal if I'm lucky. My cold seemed to get a bit worse today, now it doesn't feel too bad, so hopefully it'll bugger off very soon. I've not had a run since last thursday, and Joss is missing it too! Fingers crossed.

All this talk of winter running kit, eh?! I've got some ron hills if it's very cold, and a long sleeved top to put on, but that usually ends up coming off after about twenty minutes. Gloves are a good idea, and a hat (or buff, for us style-conscious types...) as if you can keep your 'extremeties' warm (you reading this, colonel - no ice baths in MY house!!) you'll usually be ok. I don't go in for matching handbags, although if I'm doing one of my long run/walk things, I'll take a wee rucksack with waterproofs, a bit of food possibly, and water. Looking forward to my next one of them, up the top end of Wharfedale I think, around Buckden Pike area. Lovely! And hilly.image

Anyway, off to blow my nose again!

• Options

Hi all.

Meglet, Im sure you will be fine with the hilly 7 miles. Just take it nice and easy, and im sure you will get round in a very respectable time. Keep up the work now towards it and im sure you will fly through image

CJ, Good luck with getting a run out tomorrow. I know that having kids can cause the odd issue with the running schedules. I hopoe you have a good one.

Nic, my wife swears by shopping for fitness!. She says that window shopping burns more calories than a marathon, so I wouldn't worry to much about not getting out for a run. Also, eat whatever you want. This running mulartkey allows you to do so, so don't linit yourself to the salad................try the pasta!. Enjoy your night out. image

Osa, good luck with the run tonight.. 

I went out this afternoon around my local 5k circuit. Decided to up the run time slightly so ended up running 15 minutes, walk 2 minutes, run remainder. Got round in 30 minutes, 27 seconds, which amazed me as I felt pretty bad all the way around. That extra minute running felt really hard. Im over the moon with the time, but will double check the route for distance prior to celebrating to quickly. By this rate I should be at my first goal of 5k in under 30 minutes by christmas image

All the best everyone

Darren

• Options

What a great time for your 5 miles Edster, you must be really pleased!  Keep it up and you'll be 'elite' soon!

The leg's getting better thanks CJ, I'm still going to wait 'til it's 100% before I go and do anything though.  What really annoyed me about missing that Cross Country race last Sunday is that my team only had two runners out.  If I had just competed, and finished, we would have won the bronze medal - I'm gutted!

Nic, you need to drag your Scottish friend out for a run with you, preggers or not lol!

Just forget about the hills Meg - and go for it!

Hi to everyone else

• Options

Brilliant - thanks for those Meglet and Mark - that's exactly what the bloke was wearing (saw him in the GNR on tv) - they look freaky, but definitely as if they'll do the job.  I'd no idea you could get that sort of stuff, this bloke was not too close to camera, so I thought that he must have made something up himself.  I'll add those to my Christmas list! (gets out pen and paper)

It's awful being sidelined, CB, but as one who learnt the hard way, if you try to get back to it before you're ready...............................  hope the recovery is going well tho.

Darren, you sound as though you're making great progress - in spite of feeling bad!  I imagine it's just through lack of exercise while you were recuperating.  Don't push yourself too much though....... Totally agree with your wife - here's one she may be familiar with, if not, then please pass on my pearls of wisdom, but apparently chocolate contains as much iron as broccoli, and let's face it, it's easier to spell, doesn't take up all that room in the fridge (so no carbon footprint), doesn't need to be boiled to death for 3 hrs (even less carbon footprint), doesn't smell and comes in a variety of colours and flavours, whereas broccoli only comes in two (excluding the yellow of the "gone off" variety).  Anyhow, she'll thank me for this!!

Edster, great timing, but you really need to enter another race!!

Mark, can see you slipping over to the Dark SIde...................

Had any good PN's lately Osa?  I've got a stretching schedule on my pc, can email  you a copy if you want, pm me then I can reply, not sure if I've got your email address from before.

• Options

Broccoli absolutely rocks CJ

Broccoli is high in <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C" title="Vitamin C">vitamin C</a> and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_fiber" title="Dietary fiber">soluble fiber</a> and contains multiple nutrients with potent anti-<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer" title="Cancer">cancer</a> properties including diindolylmethane and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenium" title="Selenium">selenium</a>. The <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3,3'-Diindolylmethane" title="3,3'-Diindolylmethane">3,3'-Diindolylmethane</a> found in broccoli is a potent modulator of the innate immune response system with anti-<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus" title="Virus">viral</a>, anti-<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteria" title="Bacteria">bacterial</a> and anti-cancer activity.[6] [7] Broccoli also contains the compound glucoraphanin, which can be processed into an anticancer compound <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulforaphane" title="Sulforaphane">sulforaphane</a>, though the benefits of broccoli are greatly reduced if the vegetable is boiled more than ten minutes.[8] A high intake of broccoli has been found to reduce the risk of aggressive <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostate_cancer" title="Prostate cancer">prostate cancer</a>.[9] Broccoli leaf is also edible and contains far more <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotene" title="Carotene">betacarotene</a> than the florets.

You also only have to cook it for a few minute, otherwise all the goodness goes out of it.

• Options

Actually, we eat quite a bit of broccoli here, and we all like it crunchy!  In fact, got some yesterday.  We also eat it in colcannon (me mam is from Dublin ish, so I was brought up on colcannon and bacon) Wasn't being too serious!imageimage

Talking of boiling things to death, must check on the sprouts, put them on to cook in September, they should be ready by Christmas Day!image