Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options

Hi Guys,

Well I'm packed an ready to go on my hols!  Early start tomorrow.....I'll report back on my return!

Had a good final run yesterday, managed my furtherest time of running non-stop - 55 minutes, am really pleased with that!

Be good everyone, whilst I'm away image

• Options

Have a fabby time LXR & well done on that run, that is brilliant.

Can you guess what I am just about to tuck into?

Osa xx

• Options
    Evening folks

WARNING loads of trumpet blowing.

Well got up at 8 this morning to go for my 10k run, to be honest wasn't looking forward to it that much. anyway set off on what was a gorgeous morning and kept going. there were moments when i thought I might have to stop so I gave myself a target and said it I still felt like walking at that point I'd walk, but I never did. Well to cut a long story short I DID IT. My first 10k, and in 1hour 8 mins. I'm so chuffed with myself. I even did some hills which I managed to run.

trumpet blowing over with.

Can't believe there are so many of you talking about tri's. Hubby asked if I'd considered doing a dual but then we both realised I get really really girlie when on a bike, so probably not a good idea

Ixr have a fab fab holiday. Is there room for one in your suitcase. Daughter has been a little madam tonight.

Osa drove the race route today, not as hilly as I thought, but definitely undulating. The steep bits are sudden but not long.

CB sorry to hear the leg is still bad. Is it now time for professional advice.

Mark - birthday drinks - congrats hope you had a good birthday

TTN good to hear you had a good walk. Love walk but must admit its so much nicer if you take a dog with you.

Well folks I'm off to have a long soak in the tub with a good magazine and a tall g&t (smit hopefully this will also see off the sinuses)

Be good

jac
  • Options

Hi jac

Are there lots of steep bits? Well done on your run today, that is fantastic, take it the wind had eased today? I felt like giving up yesterday as running into the wind was a nightmare, hope it isn't like that next Sunday!!

Enjoy your G & T, you deserve it!

Osa xx

• Options

Enjoy your hols lxr!!  Well done on the run today!

The walk was really good Jac! So much better with the bf's dog with us!  We used to go out walk with the dog all the time and ive really missed it since Bobs been down in Chorley!  Next weekend I get a trip down to Manchester woohoo cant wait!!  Well done on the 10km run! Bet your glad you went out when you werent up for it to start with!  Brilliant time aswell and well done for not giving into the urge to walk, thats always a difficult mental hurdle to overcome! Good to know that you can do the 10km before your race next weekend!

I was going to have a cheeky extra run this evening but couldnt be bothered, im meeting my friend to go for a run with her tomorrow evening but will prob be a run/walk for a couple of miles so tempted to go out in the morning and do a measured run on flat ground to see how i get on, going to run as long as possible without walking to guage how im doing!

How was the pot noodle Osaimage?  Is your foot feeling better after stretching it?

Sorry to hear the birthday party wasnt good CB!  Have you been to see your doc about it? might be worth going if its not getting better?

Happy Birthday Mark! Have you treated yourself to the watch for your birthday then?

Well I tried on my buff to show my bf and he said i looked like Nora Batty in it..not quite the response i was expecting!!

• Options

Quick post between washing up and Top Gear.

Have a great time lxr, we'll miss you, but bet you won't miss us!!

• Options

Hi guys,

Just a quicky, been workin all weekend and havn't had a chance to catch up on here...just wanted to say hi and i hope everybody is ok and injury free. I havn't run for a week but i did have a blast on the Cross Trainer earlier, i hope to get out soon?

lxr  have a great time

keep smilin' peeps

A.J

• Options

evening guys, sounds like we've all had a busy weekend.

I have been out today with a friend to run part of the Chevin Chase, the race i am in for on boxing day. did the middle off-road section which was about 3.5 miles. i am now re-evaluating the definition of the word "hilly". perhaps "F***ing Hilly" describes it more accurately. add to that mud, rocks, leaves and uneven ground and its going to be a pretty difficult race. there was no way i could run some of the steep parts, and what i thought was my max heart rate has been exceeded by 6bpm!

that was my last hard run before next weeks 10k, and still aching after pilates on friday. i will do 2-3 miles easy on thursday. after that will have to run a lot of hills in prep for boxing day!

have a great hol lxr and a great week everyone else.

• Options
    osa the hills didn't seem too steep. Although its sometimes difficult to tell when you're in the car. There aren't very many steep bits, the hill I walked up for the r4l at perth was steeper. To be honest the profile of the route showing a steep bit at 6k seemed a bit daunting but NONE of the route looked as steep as it seemed on the map.

Remind me again what number you are.

Better stop as I'm posting whilst watching top gear which is annoying hubby slightly.

jac
  • Options

Have a great holiday lxr, bring us all back a stick of rock each lol!

Well done on the 10k Jac, you'll be doing tri's next tee heeimage

Nic, do you really think I should see the doc about the birthday party?  I'm not sure it was that bad...imageimage

Meg, you're going to have to start embracing those hills, they're good for the soul lol!  Good luck in that 10k, I'm jealous that you're fit enough to compete in a race - I'm not  image

• Options

Hi Diana, well done for starting the programme and but sorry to hear you are having problems with itching on your legs, not sure what that could be?  could the material of your bottoms be irritating your skin?  not sure what to suggest other than a visit to the doctors?  I also need to start doing some exercise in the gym as cross training and was going to consider using the cross trainer and bike, you could also try swimming and the rowing machine is also very good for toning up all over?  Im not sure how to relieve the boredom though as i also find this a problem!   Try to stick to equipment/activities that will use different muscles than those you use for running to allow for recovery after your run.  I read somewhere that low weights and high reps is better for fat burning as high weights will only build up bulk...can someone confirm if thats right?  Not an expert as im just a newbie myself so hope thats good advice!   Have you entered a 5km?  Its really good for motivation to get book into a race as keeps that niggling though in the back of your head!!  Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Haha, oops CB, was half concentrating on the telly when i was typing! Im sure you could give the docs a miss for the party but maybe see him about your leg hahaimage

Wow the race sounds a little scary Meglet!

• Options

Hi Diane, I don't tend to use the gym but my friend, who is a runner, has just started using the rowing machine & reckons it is brilliant. I am going to give it a go, but think as with most things, mastering the technique is important.

Nic, don't think women can really build bulk so I think higher weights & less reps are fine, you have to overload the muscles to build them otherwise I don't think you see the benefit. I do the body pump class as quite frankly I like being told what to do & the structure the class gives, I have been upping my weights recently as I think you have to keep adding to see an improvement, my muscles definitely aren't bulky but I can notice I have more definition when I go to the class regularly. It is just so boring though, I prefer high impact stuff unfortunately my legs don't!

The heel is feeling a bit better today but I think I can see a pattern emerge, loads of stretches & massage when it is sore then I start to ease off when it doesn't hurt so much & then it starts tightening up again, viscious circle!

Anyway, spin & abs tonight!

Hope everyone else is good today.

Love Osa xx

PS Jackie my number is 196 for the race next week, what are you again?

• Options

<gets duster out and blows cobwebs away>

where is everyone today? only 1 post so far? (Hi Osa!)

Hi Diane, i do get itchy legs sometimes, but not while running. usually due to dry skin, so moisturising helps.

was absolutely shattered last night, slept like a baby! (except thats a bad reference, my babies didnt sleep well, more like normal babies who wake up frequently in night and sleep all day).

• Options

Hi Meg!

<jump to one side to avoid tumbleweed>

Love Osa xx

• Options

Hi everyone,

Back from a very relaxing weekend down at Hastings with the in laws.

Went out yesterday morning, and had a splendid plod along the seafront. 5k in 32 minutes 44 seconds. Slightly slower than my first 5k, but still quite pleased as the return was into a slight breeze.Completed it in a 14 minute jog, 4 minute walk and remainder jog, so progress there as well, which is all good. Was amazed at how many other runners were out, and all so friendly. Must have said good morning to at least 20 others whilst out.

Hi Diane, and welcome to the forum. Can only assume that the itchy legs must be to do with the leggings you are wearing, if any. I'm not aware of any medical condition relating to running that will make your legs itch.

Osa, glad your heel is slightly better. Maybe you should stretch on every occassion, and not just when it hurts. Well, at least for the next month or so anyway. It may need some physio, or gentle manipulation until it has completely settled down.

I hope everyone is getting on ok with their runs.

All the best

Darren

P.S. The carrots have taken a back seat to ferrero roche's.........................not as good for you, but oh so much nicer! image

• Options

So, Meg, when you say you slept like a baby, you woke up every two hours, drank warm milk every time you woke and wet the bed on numerous occasions?!  Hmmm, I'm glad I sleep like an adult.image

Well done on that 5k Daz, you must be pleased?  Mind you, not so well done on the chocolates...  Next time you want a treat, have a head of lettuce instead - you know it makes sense! image

I'm going to have to follow your lead and start doing gym stuff Osa, I like the idea of doing abs and core work - you never know,  may even get a six packAlthough at my age, it'll be more like a two and a half pack...image

• Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXnKyJdA01w

Hi Osa, ive put a link above to a very useful you tube video on rowing technique, my bf's a rower and very very pernickety about technique so ive had it drummed into me to do it right or its no useimage!  Thanks for the weights tips, dont do any myself but had read folk saying that on other threads!  Must start using some weights though to tone up my arms!  Body pump sounds good! Ive not tried any classes out at my gym

Glad to hear your sea front is friendlier than my sea front Darren!! Very rarely does another runner say hi on Aberdeen beachfront! Well done on the 5km time, very impressive!

Well both my friends baled on me tonight and it was so cold i couldnt actually be bothered going out on my own so will go out tomorrow morning instead as if i dont go out tomorrow i wont get a chance again til thursday!

Head of lettuce CB....you really know how to treat yourselfimage!!  2 and a half packs better than just a beer bellyimage!!

• Options

nic, i love bodypump but can't get to a class at the moment. i think it did make my legs a bit chunkier, but running seems to counteract that. i don't agree that its boring, i really loved it and you do get a rush a bit like running, but perhaps thats down to a good teacher who had the music really loud.

CB, you see, that phrase always was wrong. perhaps slept like a log is more appropriate, but then logs dont sleep as far as i'm aware!

still tired anda bit achey, glad i didnt go to running club tonight. early night for meimage

• Options

morning all, well i'm back from a nice early run, can't really say how far i went, as my garmin stopped about half way around...i think i oressed the pause button when i was trying to turn the light onimage

Meg maybe you should say you slept like a cat, from what i remember of my old cat he slept all the time.

Diana, I occasionally get an itch when i run on the back of my legs, i think it is due to getting warm as it happens more when i get back home and start to wam up. it may sound a bit odd but like nic said, have you tried moisturising?

• Options

Diana,

5K runs occur the whole year round. Have a search on the runnersworld site under the events section for a local race, or you may find one close to you through this link:

http://www.parkrun.com/

All the best

Darren

• Options

Morning folks

Diana welcome to the world of runners.  Can't help with the itching problem but think you should see the doc.  The other question you asked I can give some advice.  Although I've always done some exercise, sometimes to a lesser extent, since running I swear by the x-trainer.  Its great for building up your stamina and strengthening your legs.  I can't get out for a run tonight so did half hour on the cross trainer this morning.  I'd also, as I know others would on here, recommend some core strength training such as pilates or yoga. 

CB how very dare you!  Tri's indeed.  image 

Darren well done on your 5k that's excellent given you're not long back from injury.  Running along the seafront sounds lovely.  Its really good when you see other runners.

Nic did you make it out this morning. 

Mark good on the run, hope the ankle is holding up 

Can't get out for run tonight so did the cross trainer for half hour.  Really looking forward to my run on Thursday and then its the race!image

Osa will let you know my race number when I get home tonight, think its 95. 

jac

• Options

Morning everyone!

Thanks for the link Nic I will read this when I get home, I will be too embarrassed to try it if I don't know what I am doing!

Glad you enjoy the Body Pump Meg, wish I did, I find I have to use heavier weights to stop me thinking how boring it is, wish I did enjoy it more as I try to go twice a week & find it a bit of a chore but I do like the results.

Cheers Darren I know I need to get into a stretch routine & stick to it, not only remember to do it cause my foot hurts, I am making a real effort, am using my golf ball right now!

Glad to hear you are going to hit the gym CB. look forward to seeing piccies of your 6 pack!!

Love Osa xx

• Options

Diana the dvd I use is Davina's My three 30 minute workouts.  The Core Stability workout is really really good giving you exercies for your stomach, balance and posture.  The good thing is you've also got two other worksouts to try if you fancy it.  personally love the Carido box one as well.

jac

• Options

Diana, i do Pilates. i think the trick is finding the right instructor. balance and strength work mainly. only just stopped aching from friday! havent tried any dvds but think i would get bored.

As a basic, planks are good, both flat and side ones (you could probably find them on youtube). but you need to strengthen the back as well. there is probably a lot more you could do with your ball, anything that makes you unstable will strenghten your core as you try not to fall!

• Options

Slight off topic query.

Does anyone know what SAF rules are.  The race I'm in on Sunday is being run under these rules and I'm not sure what they are, to be precise don't know if these rules allow you to run with music.

• Options

Jac, I think it will be okay to run with music, think these are the rules for affilliated members of scottish athletics & I think they have to say specifically if you aren't allowed to wear a mp3 player, I will certainly be wearing mine, I can't run without it, if I can't hear my breathing then I refuse to believe I am out of breath!

Love Osa xx

• Options
    I did my first ever race on Sunday and was surprised at how many people were wearing MP3 players! I just assumed that they were banned like in the *whispers* triathlons...
  • Options

Who said TRIATHLON? I know i heard it somewhere...i'm sure, no, no one? Oh, i'll just go back to my corner for a little nap 

I think that some races are starting to ban mp3's which i can sort of understand, some people are a real danger if they wear them, that said if you really lack self awareness you are just as likely to walk under a bus than run into someone in a race

• Options
    P.S how did the race go Edster? what distance was it and how did you do?image
  • Options

Cheers guys, knew you'd be able to help.

My brother in law does *mark close your ears* tri's for which he's not allowed to wear an mp3 player. 

I'm like you Osa love my music to run to, but got a sneaking suspicion that the bigger races will be banning them in the not too distant future. image