Options

FLM 09 - 4.20 or there abouts.

Comments

• Options

HI all,

wow ! Sounds as if everyone has been busy!  All fingers toes etc crossed here for Virgin marathon next year....sooo want to do it but if not will be doing Windermere I think...Lakes in May sounds good to me!

Been busy running, have run a half every month since London and am doing Great Eastern 11th oct so looking forward to that..no great times i`m afraid , still trying for that sub 1.50 but it will come. My youngest is now at school afternoons so i drop her off at 1 and head out for a run for about 1.15 minutes and then home to shower ready to pick her and her brother up at 3.30...have done that every week day now for 4 weeks and I think it helps..it means I am doing at least 10k a day and still trying for that long run sundays although so far haven`t made it past a half......

Have run a few 10k races...seem to average about  54 minutes which I am happy with...wish I could speed up but just seem to have this set pace which i do no matter what the distance...marathon, half or 10k!

Have booked for the new kilomathon...sounded interesting and i`m all for trying new things...also intend to swim the Great North swim which is 1 mile accross Windermere next sept.....anyone interested???

• Options

Hi Everyone, Anybody found out as to whether they got into next years London marathon yet? Looking at the website it seems the magazine has been sent out..just have to wait until i get home to see if the post has been sent yet.Good luck all anyway!

Runs, Kilomarathon looks excellent, think it's in Edinburgh for the scottish race so might do it. 

• Options

There is a lot of hysteria and stress on other threads about being in/not being in/interpretation of what the website says about payment etc etc. Some have got mags. Some haven't. I've never understood why the process has to be so painful! More people do the lottery every week, with very little hassle, but trying to get into one event held yearly inevitably causes major confusion. And we're holding the next Olympics? God help anybody who tries to get tickets!

I'll just dutifully sit on my doormat, waiting for the postie every day!

• Options
    Well I got my rejection mag and jacket......very disappointed but not giving up...have offer of a place with Shelter which I really want to take up but they want £200 now and I just don`t have that......Good luck to everyone else x
  • Options
    Still waiting on the posty! Totally agree Wilbury surely they can notify everyone by email on the 1st then send out the magazine's, would be a lot more straightforward.
  • Options
    Ang12Ang12 ✭✭✭

Hi, My lovely son rang me at work today when he got home from school to tell me I'd be running round London again in April.

Training started again tonight!

Good luck to those that are still waiting.

Ang 

• Options
    Well done Ang12....even though at this moment in time i hate you!  no seriously well done, really pleased for you.
  • Options
    Ang12Ang12 ✭✭✭

Thanks Runs ... was 3rd time lucky through the ballot, so a bit of a surprise, got in last year on a club place, which was even more of a surprise, as I'd been with them long, and certainly not up there with the speedy lot.

Was looking at this years training plan, and it's all a bit daunting, but I'll be fine once I'm back into it.

Hope you get your place with Shelter.

• Options
    Thanks Ang but that`s not going to happen, however  I do have the possibility of a club place..thought i would be ruled out after taking a place through them last year but apparently not so fingers crossed......but I have applied for windermere as an alternative as I fancy the scenic route.....thought about Edinburgh as flat and fast but reading the race reports on RW people spoke highly of Windermere whilst Edinburgh seemd to have more than it`s share of critics....it won`t be the same as London but a weekend in the lakes is a good compensation!
  • Options

Hi all,

Runsouts and Ang12 it's great to hear from you both.

Ang 12 congrats on getting a place. That's great news. Good luck with training.

I'm still waiting for the mag, but have some back ups if I don't get in. I might do Paris, Edingburgh or Riga. Or I could do Paris and a half in Riga. My granddad was from there and my mum and I have never been so I thought maybe we could turn the weekend into a family trip away image of course, once I have done Dublin I may decide never again. Will see what happens!

RW, I really enjoyed the scenery at New forest. It was beautiful and would do it again. i found it tough, but when I looked at my Garmin stats, Bath actually had 200ft more of ascent and descent so was surprised by that. the heat and having just had a cold probably didn't help though.

Runs, it sounds like you are doing more training than me! good luck on getting a club place. I found out after this year that one of my clubs didn't actually have any one running (apart form me) and they sent their 3 places back. So i was hopeful of one as a back up for 2010, but have found out that about 10 people want one and about half didn't enter the ballot. I thought they would draw names out of a hat but they are deciding who gets them by who has done the most for the club in the past year, which is fair on one hand, but then in my case I don't live anywhere near the club anymore so can't get involved like other people would. So have given up on that idea My other club is my club at home and I never go down there either image 

Lalsger/RW, any news?

I have entered for the English Kilomathon too. Sounds good. Even managed to talk my friend into it. The furthest she has done is a half, but because it is only 3.2 miles further she knows it is manageable.  

I did the Great North Swim a few weeks ago. It was fab. I really struggled during the swim as I hadn't done loads of swimming practice and I struggled with my breathing and then got bad cramp, but I would do it again. I loved Windermere and the surroudings. I would love to do the Windermere marathon, but it's a really tough course, so might build up to that one! Plus I want to go up and do the swim next year. I did a 3 mile jog while I was there and that was tiring.

• Options

No news yet. Postie normally gets round here about 11. Signed up for Tunbridge Wells Half as a target/stepping stone depending on marathon success/failure. The route goes past the end of the road where one of my patients live, so may pop in for a cuppa or a massage (patients Mum is a massage therapist!)

Back to sitting on the doormat, waiting expectantly............................................

• Options
    Also ran Bath way back. The finish in Great Pulteney Street is fab. I remember the route being deceptively undulating?
  • Options
    No news yet the posty should be round about 11:30.
  • Options

Yes, RW, they advertise the course as fast and flat, but is is underlating and there are a couple of tough hills in it (or perhaps that's just me). I like my courses almost pancake flat, hence the reason why I love the cardiff half 9and the fact i ran my PB there!).

What happened to the days of the post being delivered before 9 in the morning! Still I am long gone by then. My other half works shifts so won't leave for work till 12.30ish. Hopefully he will let me know one way or the other.

I agree that an email then sending the mags would be the way to go. Thanks to the postal strikes down here who knows when the mag will turn up!

• Options

The man from Virgin, he say no!....................

Hey ho. Sub 2 half, here I come!

• Options
    Sorry to hear that RW. No post today for us unless they are very late, so still waiting. Am sure it will be a no too. Are you not tempted by any other maras?
  • Options

Maybe later in 2010. Venice or New Forest perhaps. Glad the waiting's over anyhow. Not sure these old bones could have gotten fit enough in time for April.

• Options
    lots of activity on here, something happening? image for those suffering from our fantastic (striking) postal service image we will all receive an email on Monday. Why couldn't they have sent these out straight away?? image
  • Options
    Thanks Adrian. Weirdly I got my tax disc through the post yesterday, so not sure what is going on. Guess Edgware is outer London so not sure if the strike applied. Yes i agree on the email front!
  • Options
    Hard luck RW, still no news yet.Two people from my work have had the knock back, one the 5th time in a row so he's in for 2011 but i think i'd feel quite bad now if i get in twice in a row.
  • Options
    I really don't understand why they didn't email everyone yesterday or today instead of waiting until Monday.I also wonder whether the fact you don't have to pay in advance will mean that some people will get in now but as they haven't paid might just go to heck with that, it looked like a good idea at the time when i watched a run in nice sunny weather but now reality has kicked in they won't do it.What will happen with there places?
  • Options
    havent posted for ages defered from last year due to injury on right knee received confirmation im in next year knee still clicking but completed half and 10k with some discomfort but manageable now to start the training
  • Options

I agree it is certainly  a strange and rather haphazard way of doing things , especially as most applicants will have given their email address!

Will look out for you at the kilomathon Sarah and good luck with Dublin....you seem to be going well...3.50....i think I would die at that pace!

Must admit, getting used to the thought of not running London although would still be overjoyed if I did get a club place...but to do windermere twice in a year..once as a marathon in Spring and swim in Autumn sounds good.....almost romantic in a twisted way!

Running a 10k at the weekend, in a real quandary about it as doing it my running partner but he is slower than me and the last few races I have held back for him but really feel I need to run one for myself and also Great Eastern ....do I stick with him or leave him?

• Options
    Omg having bemoaned the postal service, there at home, waiting for me was a large red plastic envelope containing my ...... Acceptance letter. I am so excited!! Sorry to those who haven't got in yet. One thing to consider is volenteering at the expo for a place, I know people at my running club who have done this for a number of years
  • Options

Adrian, I am so pleased for you. Excellent stiff. good to know some of us got in. I didn't get in, but am not sure I mind too much (will probably be worse on the day). At least i got to do it last year. I like the jacket -though even the small is huge on me! You will be so fast next year image

Runs, not sure I will be running 3.50 as have only done one long run of 17. The others when I have done them have beenunder 14, but at least i gave done more base training so will go out at a steady pace and see how I go. Just over 3 weeks now.

I am becoming more and more tempted by Riga. Think it is the same day as Windermere. My grandad was from there so thought it would be a nice one to do, to go and see where he grew up and everything. Even though it is a 3 lap race. or as they have a half, I could do Paris and would then have 6 weeks till Riga and could do the half instead! I mut be mad!

KG, good to hear you ae over your injury and good luck with your training. I have knee problems too. The poor things do take a pounding.

Off to do a handicap 5km today. Is a tough course but thought it would be good training for me, plus lots of people from my training group are going to do it. Should be good.

Adrian, how do you go about volunteering at the expo?

• Options
    I will find out more from my club, it was a few of them who told me about it. I think you have to do 3 or so days and still have to pay for your place.

My wife said she nearly threw the acceptance out thinking it was junk. I got in on the "bequest" draw which is an additional 1000 places for people who didn't get in through main ballot but elected to donate their entry fee.
  • Options

Must admit I looked at Paris too...they are doing an eco-trail marathon which sounds good but for me it`s the cost as taking 5 children can prove costly.Good luck today....sounds testing.I never did join a running club as I changed my working hours and my local clubs meet on the evenings that I work but I am still with the internet club...hence my hope of running in london.

Looking forward to the great eastern run ..did it two years ago and really struggled as had the beginnings of tummy upset and by the end felt absolutley dreadful......I know now why they say not to run if you feel unwell...it`s almost become a nemesis for me so I need to do it and do it well.

Great news Adrian...really pleased for you, like the expo idea but it really isn`t practical for me...too many kids....maybe when they are older , just have to keep fingers crossed for a club place and leave the country on the 25th april next year if not!

• Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Hi guys haven't really read back over previous posts but congrats to those in and commiserations to those who aren't. I have deferred place from last year but have to make sure that this time i'm both mentally and physically ready to do myself justice.
  • Options

Yipeee I can go and watch the marathon this year.

As they say in football terms I can concentrate on Edinburgh. Congrats all those who are in.

Must catch up with all the back posts soon. I have Felixstowe half tomorrow and a cold starting today so slow and steady tomorrow. Off to cheer myself and order a new car, good job I dont get too many colds.

Runs. What is the great east run like? it looks a well organised flat run.

• Options
    Got a nice red virgin running jacket from the postman this morning. Not to dissapointed but I'm sure I'll be gutted on marathon day! Congratulations to all who got in, hopefully you'll steer clear of injury and have a great day.