Options

Great North Run 2009

Comments

• Options

Blith - bank account security breach - that's awful, it makes me really angry.  I'm sure that if money gets stolen from your account then the bank have to refund it?  They only won't if you've told someone your security number or whatever, which you obviously haven't.  I always make sure my anti-virus, firewall etc are bang up to date too.  And shred everything with id details on.  At least being a lawyer you should be able to sort egg out re the refund!  Good luck with it - I hope it's sorted out soon as no-one needs that kind of stress when it's not even your fault.

Still no post...ho hum.  Sometimes postie is late, but it's unusual to be this late.  If I don't hear anything today I believe we can phone the FL* organisers tomorrow.

Legs aren't too bad today, though ankles are a little stiff/sore.  Could prob do with a little recovery run, but can't see myself getting out until late afternoon or tomorrow morning (work).

• Options
    image Been trying to post for ages but keep getting a blue screenimage
  • Options

Ah-ha it works!!

So I'll try again......

• Options

Morning everyone!

I couldn't hang around on here last night as I had too much to do and its taken an age to re-catch up again!!

Happy Birthday to Mini Camel - hope you have a lovely day!

Still loving reading about everyones race experiences with some fantastic stories flying around (don't think I would have like the ghost experience though SM!!!!).

I'm starting to worry about Roslyn - anyone heard from her yet? (although after the journey down that she had, and the journey home that she faced, I'm pretty sure shes still in bed to catch up on her sleep!!!)

Hope everyone is starting to recover today. My legs feel fine again now but I'm totally shattered and feel like I could sleep for a week. Wish I had taken the rest of the week off now as I'm not looking forward to the next three 10 hour day shifts image

• Options

Me too Mandie but it seems to be back on now.

Thanks RTG. No, never given my details out knowingly but apparently the scam is that they had put a virus on or something so that when you go onto the egg website it redirects you to an identical looking site which appears over the top of the egg site itself and so you are then putting your details into the rogue site or something like that.

They have confirmed to OH that the savings money should be refunded because they noticed the unusual activity on the credit card the day before but we will both have to sign some declarations to say we haven't nicked the money ourselves and OH got a ticking off for letting me manage her accountimage (she hates finances so I do it all).

• Options
    It was announced that next years would be Sunday 4th October.
  • Options

My legs are much better today too - deep heat worked a treat. Still stiff on the stairs. Toes knack though. Depending on how I am feeling bug-wise I am going to try a short run tomorrow.

Got my number for Brampton-Carlisle and it's 10 miles not 10k - eek! Also, I am number 99 (cool number) which kinda worries me about how many people are actually doing it and the dreaded coming last or near last worries beginimage. Anyone else doing it?

• Options
    have ordered myself a cool new fluo gilet online to cheer me upimage
  • Options
    BBSloth - you've just run 13.1 miles, 10 miles will be no bother. And of course you won't be last with your pace. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.

Not that there's any shame in coming last or near last ... I came near the last for the three X/C runs I did last season (mind you the field never got above flipping 50 women I don't think) - I'm pretty certain there'll be a lot more entrants for your run.

Hi Mandie - there's a result for Roslyn on the official results page, so at least we know that she managed the run ok. I'm sure she's just resting up after her epic journey home *crosses fingers*
  • Options

Hey all!! What a fab event it was!

Managed 1.54 which I'm pretty chuffed with. Not my pb but not bad given the volume of people. Felt the old lump in my throat when I got to mile 12 bythe sea and vowed to hold onto the moment with all the supporters and the music and cheering. Amazing!! Just registered my interest for next year.

With you on the leg thing blith - am like an old woman at work! image

Any one know when those pesky pics will be ready - I keep checking the site and getting the 'certs and photos will be available shortly' message.

Congrats to all who ran - how great is our sport?!  (sorry still bouncing around on a high!)

• Options

I'm just watching the tv coverage.

Any of our girls wearing a pink-coloured top, red hair in plaits with green ribbons????

I've just seen you if so!!!

• Options

Hi Shielsy

Not sure what happened really - combination of living it up for the last 12 months and having two fried eggs for breakfast at 6.30 then running around trying to find a non-existent vip baggage bus. Grrr! When I stopped I was really faint so walked to the lucozade point and that sort of helped. Morale was battered by then so whenever I found myself stuck behind people walking side by side I'd stop too! Pretty feeble really but thanks to Yeti and SnS I wasn't down-hearted at the end.

LB - think that's probably why marathon training is underway for me. A year of booze and snacks (although one of the best years ever!) has taken its toll! I did feel a bit like the man carrying a fridge at points - except mine is attached!!!! Good luck with your run - glad everything's returning to normal with your health.

WTS! FLM! Woohoo! It'll be just like Reading but a little bit further! I'm thinking Blackmoor Vale half in feb and then Bath in March as part of my training. Now I've had the necessary kick up the proverbial!

BBS - eeks on the money but at least if they're telling you they know it's been nicked. I write about stuff like that so don't be surprised if you get begging emails from me asking if you'd be a case study!!

Happy Birthday Camelette!

• Options

Blith - we've got our cash (or lack of it!) in joint accounts, though it's mostly me who deals with this kind of thing (OH has demanding job, and can't be @rsed).  I entered a race recently, and my entry came back with race no 2!! image image   Well they said it filled up quickly, so I wanted to make sure I got in!

Great time Spidershell! image  Haven't checked the greatrun site, but think it takes a few days for pics to come up, as there are so many of them.  Last year we could download a free finisher's certificate - but this year it seems as if you have to pay for them! Hmph! image

• Options

Morning Shielsy! Thanks for the info on Roslyn - she's probably still reading back at the mo!

Spidershell - bounce as much as you want - I'm doing the same!! The photos do take a good few days to come through and even when they do, keep checking yours for a few days as more tend to appear over time.

• Options
    Hi Mandie & BS! *waves*
  • Options

Hi BS!!!

Sorry to hear you had a toughie - Mine wasn't the most enjoyable GNR as well. Now its over I loved it!!!!

I'm officially 'm'-training too now. Aiming to be up to 16 miles by Xmas.

• Options

Sure I will enjoy it Shielsy (remember PMT BBS) - being amongst 52000 is just oh so much more comforting. My secretary is doing it too and she has agreed to be my pacer image since our times were identical until the last 2 miles when she obviously had more in the tank than me. She's enjoying having beat me and good on her.

Thanks BS - yes they seem to be accepting it has been "misappropriated" (term they used) and that others have been hit by the same scam and they were on to it pretty quickly by the sound of it.  Happy to be a case study!

Excellent time Spidershell - I got the welled up feeling along the last mile which was most unexpected for me. Not sure of the reason other than pain and sheer tiredness but also felt a sense of achievement that Is et off 6 months ago or more to do a half-marathon again after 3 years of not running and turning into a slob and had achieved that.

• Options
    Thanks mandie & Raring - will do!image
  • Options

Hi Mandie and RTG!

That's exactly how I feel Mandie - I was all for beating myself up for not preparing properly but it's such a brilliant day that even if I moonwalked it backwards while eating cream buns I'd still love it!

There's going to be a fair few of us doing FLM next year then....Mandie, WTS, RLTW, Andy and possibly RTG....apologies if I've missed anyone.

• Options
    I think Roslyn said she wasn't sue back until last night but I might be wrong. As you say Mandie she might be sleeping it off or image working...
  • Options
    I think Roslyn said she wasn't due back until last night but I might be wrong. As you say Mandie she might be sleeping it off or image working...
  • Options
    sorry for double post AGAIN - kept getting the red screen...
  • Options
    Thanks BBS! When I get a feature on having your money misappropriated (ha!) I'll let you know.
  • Options

hello everyone,

First time posting and first time racing.

I am sooooooo pleased that this was the first race I entered even though I'm not able to run for the next 6 - 8 weeks due to a dodgy hip.  To be fair the hip was dodgy before the race but I didn't want to pull out. 

It was a fantastic day and an amazing experience one I'll not forget anytime soon.  It's certainly encouraged me to keep going (and hopefully get better) and I can't wait to do it again and again and again.

• Options

Just got back from the doctors where I found out that I have damaged the lateral cartillage in my left knee, but the doctor said that I wont know the extent until after anthroscopy which probaly wont be for another 4-5 weeks, then after that ill have to wait for treatment. in the time being he told me to apply heat to the area so allow blood to flow more freely through my knee for repair.

Just the thought of having a camera put in my knee though made me pass out which was probably just aswell as the doctor found out that I also have low blood pressure!

• Options
    (((Craig))) - hope you get your knee sorted very soon. Its a bummer that you have to wait so long for the anthy-whatsit but resting it in the meantime has surely got to be good for it.
  • Options
    XL strange my little lads birthday a couple of weeks back our front room floor still resembles a farm with a circus slapped in the middle of it.!!!