Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options
    Busy day tomorrow on my day off. Shopping to buy more shorts, socks and running tops, going for a run and eating my mums home made rice pudding. image
  • Options

Darren- just had a play with the RW race time predictor tool (Training/ calculaters) and you should be fine with that time.

Susiebe- never raced abroad, fancy the Marathon du Medoc though; next race probably a 10K on 27th September prior to 4parks.

More shopping FW- honestly. Went to a local animal park today, saw lots of owls and thought of Henry!  Home made rice pud- yum!

Nooooo Susie- I'm trying to move to Mizunos, don't go all Nike on me!

• Options

Evening everyone,

Darren, it sounds like you are completely on top of your training with all those long runs!  How long are you planning to taper for before the big one?  That mix of excitement/nerves in the build up to a race is quite a nice one though, isn't it?  Or am I completely weird???

Susiebe - what a lovely idea to run abroad and take a weekend away without HLs.  If you look at :  www.209events.com on the overseas events area then you get a list of marathons and halfs - depends how far you want to run.  Amersterdam and Rome sound nice though .................

FL - animal park sounds  fun, hope that the rain held off for you!

FW - shopping and home made rice pudding, what an ideal day image

I went to the running club - on my own with no running partner for support.  AND ............ it was peeing it down.   AND............. I was the only girl there.  Do I get extra biscuits tonight, do I, do I?????

Have a good evening all 

• Options

Foxy come down and do the hampton court cancer research 10k me and running buddy are doing!

RS- yes lots of extra biscuits for you for keeping the girls side up and going out in the rain image

Darren you sound really well prepared!  OH sister who has done 2 marathons (who in my opinion is therefore an expert) told me that she just went out to enjoy it as the event that it was and not worry about a time (easier said than done I know) but from talking to her and others at work who have done them the experience of the first one is amazingand from then on you can think about timings and stuff!!!  I know irs easier said then done but this statistic always sticks in my head- only 1% of the world has done a marathon, image just think DC in 5 weeks time you'll be part of that 1%- amazing huh? 

No running for me- resting up for a couple of days til the weekend, think i've been doing a bit too much so hoping to head out again on saturday with fresh legs!!

Nite all

• Options

Vik - I love that 1% statistic.  Almost enough to make me start training ............ image  Your OH's sister is definitely an expert after two marathons, anyone who has done even one marathon is superhuman in my view!!!

So - question peeps.....

Let's just speculate here: IF I were to buy a Garmin........... should I go for a 405 or 305???  Am not sure I can justify the additional cost of the latest cx models which, as far as I can tell, only have the additional benefit of HRM calorie counting??  Aesthetically I'd go for the watch like one but as it's only for running and not day to day I'm not too bothered.  is there any great diference between the two models, other than the price?  Also, to female garminites - how does each model fit on dainty/skinny wrists??

All just speculation, mind image

• Options

RS- JT is the best person to ask as she has both!!! But is away.

I got the 305 just as the 405 was being launched as a) it was cheaper and b) all the techy glitches had been ironed out.  I have quite slim wrists and have nor problems wearing it- obviously only use it when training.  Because you connect it with your computer by USB it charges up at the same time which I think is an advantage whereas the 405 does a wireless transfer.  Can't speak for the 405 but I am very happy with the 305- it's chunky, solid with easy to manage buttons and easy to read displays.

Let the 405ers have their say now......

• Options

RS - full respect for running club on your ownimage. Do you think you'll go back? I have a 405 but again can't compare cos never seen a 305 in the flesh. I love it but agree with Foxy, you need Julia to compare and contrast

Susie - SW coast near Bezier. Just about packed and all v excited now. Keep trying to impress on HLs it'll be a long boring day tomorow getting there.

FW you shop more tha a girlimage

Token effort this morning - 2.7 miles with a couple of walks up the big hillsimage. There's no hope for me!

See you in 2 weeks

• Options

Evening all

Have a good holiday Sally.

I don't realy notice that I'm wearing the 305 however big it is but then I'm a man with average to large wrists I have my main screen split into 4 with HR, Distance, Pace and time for activity showing which is basically all I need, If you want to know calorie used this is on a free download called sportstracks that I really recommend.

Thanks for all the little tips guys for pace etc. Foxy not sure about these racing calculator thingy's but the RW is very similar to the macmillan website so 8.44 m/mimage. I will try and stick with 9.16 m/m.

Would be nice to race abroad would be V.Expensive though taking Mrs C (maybe related to FW)

Tonight's lsr out of the way a Very Very Hilly 20 miles (19.9 to be precise) Legs really tired but ascent over 2000ft. Pace 9.39 M/M AHR 148

Have a good weekend all

• Options

Speaking of racing abroad - I tried to talk my friend into doing the Kenya HM with me next year but he bottled it! It sounded perfect. Running through a national park surrounded by wild animals (I think the tigers etc leave you well alone. Runners aren't meaty enough! image ). Although when I read more about it it said that it's one of the hardest 5 races in the world. Probably due to the immense heat.

Didn't really shop much today. Although I did buy some black hilly's to go with my black Lunars and also two pairs of shorts and a new running top. Seems like I don't really buy 'normal' clothes any more! Oh, and the rice pudding was fab. The only thing that I didn't do was go for a run! Oops. Not my fault though. Honest. image

• Options

Gosh, quiet here today.

Had a fab one- met friends for a wonderful bike ride and also a run with a pal who will be joining us at 4parks. Come one UB- show yourself!!  Made up for the run I missed yesterday. Just need to add a mile onto my LSR tomorrow and I'm on target for the month.

Subsquently ate too much delicious food. A lovely dayimageimage

And nowimage.

Now FW- sounds like my kind of shopping.image And try a run sometime!!!image

• Options

Hello all

HL's have recovered thanks! - I did a 6 miler at 9.03 pace on Thursday, which is good speed for me - went out today but only managed 3.75 cos my shins are really hurting particularly my right one - I'm not happy...image

Glad you've had a good day Foxy and on target too! 

You been out yet Ed? or are you too obsessed with BMF, It is highly addictive - we can be obsessed together, start a support group?

• Options

Eek! Hope your shins get better soon Princess!

Did BMF this morning. Was OK but really should run! I'll go for one tomorrow morning.Who's going to take us in the support group PP?

Went up to North Derbys today to take HL to the Blue John mines. Went to the first one we came to and how crap was it?!! Then we went to the otter and owl wildlife park which wasn't too bad. Am completely knackered now! The roads up there are just pure traffic jams. Chesterfield needs a bypass!

Chilling tonight on the settee. No HL tomorrow so just running, playing squash and maybe go for a bike ride if it's nice. Anything to get out of mowing the lawns. image

• Options
    You should take it Ed. I'm a bit busy with BMF!
  • Options

imageimageimageimage.

9 miles D&D.  Wow it was hot!  23deg.  Beautiful day, lots of lovely things to look at along the way, almost all riverside running- people in boats, walkers cyclists, other runners.

August mileage 30.41/ scary amount.

Run yet oh Fussy one?!

Must go stretch and shower.

Rest day tomorrow and then the blinking hills session again on Tuesdayimage.

• Options

Must of run a bit of the way with you FL.  Only 5 miles from me though again beautiful day here with stunning scenery of the hills and valleys.

Gardening for the rest of the day as HL'S are partying.

• Options

5 miles completed but was tough- went out without eating much breakfast so was a struggle but at least its done now!

Well done Foxy for your 9 and DC for your 5 its really hot out there- the deer in Bushy PArk were all basking under trees, thats what I feellike doing now but must get ready for work image

Got my long one tomorrow 7miles, looking forward to my easy week image

So is it 9 or 10 weeks til 4parks?  GULP!

• Options

Are you all sitting down?

I went for a run this morning!! image

I thought that as I haven't got HL then I'd go and run with the club. Not many people there today, though, as there's a local-ish race on so a lot were doing that instead. Most of the people there wanted to do stupid miles (12-18 or so). I was looking to do around 6 or 7. A new woman was there that was up to about 4 or so. She had to walk at 2 miles and then turned back with another older lady who wasn't feeling too well. The next 'cut-off' was supposed to be 6 miles which I thought would be perfect to me but that disappeared and it became 8! Six of us split off to do less while the others went on their way to 12+.
    'This way for 10'. I was like WTF?! So I ran by myself for a mile or so while the other 5 went a longer way around. I waited by the pond at the pub for about 10 mins until they came back again. Nice to sit in the sunshine and have a rest. image
    Anyway, ran back and it was 9 miles in total. Very disjointed with loads of styles, gates, railway crossings etc and that 10 min laze around in the middle but 9 miles nonetheless.

Knee felt VERY dodgy from 3 miles onwards and I probably should've stopped then but me being me I carried on. Hope it recovers ready for another midweek run or more importantly Tuesdays BMF session! image

August total - 16 / 45.

• Options

Evening all image

Scanned thru the postings.. OMG how busy have you lot been!?! image.. me... shamefully admitting to not running anything since Mondays 3 miler.. cor it was far too hot in Barcelona (even Mr Fairy only went out the once!!).. and to top it all had knee problem.. well.. thats my excuse and Im sticking to it!!! image

Healthy Eating not going to plan have just been to local pub for lunch over Tockholes and OMG how big are the portions... but Mmm.. Lamb Shank... Mmm... Irish Coffee... Mmm... Spanish food on  hols... Mmm.. Confit duck... Mmm... image Should be on for my long run tonight... WHOO 11 miles.. but head still bit fuzzy from the Irish Coffee so will have to see.. hehe... promise Im consuming gallons of water to conteract it.. honest I am! ONLY TIME WILL TELL..

Foxy.. do you do duathlon... am soooo interested????

• Options

Evening all,

Some good runs out in the heat from the sounds of it image  I, on the other hand, was on the 6.34am train to Swansea yesterday morning for a hen do.  I haven't done any running but the muscles in my beer holding hand are feeling a little strained image  Out tomorrow for a short one and then may try the running club again on Tuesday.  Am playing with the schedule writer on RW at FL's suggestion, so hopefully will have a shiny new schedule for four parks starting tomorrow - eeek!  

FW - Chesterfield only needs a bypass because everyone is trying to escape it...... Which mine did you and HL go to?  My dad lives in Castleton and is surrounded by three or four of them so you may well have been near him......  Bonus side of Castleton is that for a tiny village it has six pubs, all of which stay open later than they ought to.  More for a trip without HL that fact, perhaps image  Wasit the Owl and Otter sanctuary outside Chapel?  We went there in May (more for my father's sake than the kids.....) but thought it was pretty good.  Hope your knee is better after some rest.

Vik - i think it's 9 weeks today until four parks.  GULP indeed.  Hope your long run today went well!

FL -  well done on your 9 miles, and on doing 30 miles so far in August when we're still on week one (just)!.

PP - hope that your shins are feeling better today?  It's all that BMF weakening you and FW ..........

FE - hope you had fun in Barcelona?  Rest is as important as training,r emember, so holiday is an important part of your schedule .......   Yummy lunch!!!

• Options

Wow- Fussy- well done on running, and seriously- hope your knee is OK.

RS- sounds like a good weekend, long time since I've done a hen weekend!  Well done re getting a plan.  Thanks for comment re miles, all going well, by this time next week I'll have done more than last month altogether, but I was poorly then.

Vik- nice sounding run, like the pic of the deer, more scenic than mine then.

DC- not only ran together in spirit, but also gardened too- 15lbs of potatoes and LOADS of RUNNERbeans!

FE- Barcelona- lovely, been there a few times, it's fab. Re duathlon question- yes sort of, well yes actually, but not very seriously. Was talked into doing one with some mad friends (Hello UB when are going to drop in here?).  Very off-road 5Krun, 20K cycle, 5K run.  I'll be taking the bike lights off for that one!  Was thinking about a new lighter bike for it, but think it would get totally trashed.  Need to get some bike training in really.  It's the weekend after 4parks.

And can't remember who asked- it is 9 (NINE) weeks until 4parks!!

As for the 9 miler- cream crackered now!imageimage

• Options

I'm back from a fabbo week. I started reading all your posts but too many for now so thought I'd read it all properly tomorrow. Managed to get out 4 times for running but only did 3-5 miles each time so need to get a long one done in the next day or so. Still it was very hilly and we also walked a lot (and ate and drank a lot...................................!)

Remind me not to get on the scales for a week or so image

Off to unpack and get on with the washing, hope you are all ok image

• Options

Welcome home JT- they were very well behaved in your absence.

Things ain't what they used to beimage.

• Options
    Glad you had a good holiday JT - leave the washing until tomorrow and put your feet up image
  • Options

Welcom back JT  and FE glad you had  good holidays!!!

Just back from LSR meant to be 7 miles but extended i to 9 as I was feeling good and it had started to rain and it was soooooooo refreshing!!!!  Esay week this week, just as well as its OH birthday so busy busy at the mo! 

9 weeks eh?  It siunds so long but I know its going to fly by!

Well done for running FW hows the knee feeling today? 

Anyone read the thread about cut of times for marathons?  Glad none of us are that harsh........

• Options

hee hee hee hee

I bought it............imageimageimage

and I confessed to OH (albeit price hasn't been mentioned.  I think he has a rough idea how much they cost!).  One 405 on its way to me, yippee!!!!  Am trying really hard not to think how many miles I will have to run to justify the cost image

Well done on 9miles Vik, it's great when you're enjoying a run so much that you keep going, isn't it!!!

Hope everyone else is well.

Am so excited about the post tomorrow.................

• Options

Evening all

VikW - Well done on your 9 miles just read the thread you mentioned I will keep my questions for you guys.image There is also another thread going on which depending on you view is quite mean or funny

Glad you enjoyed your holidays and breaks welcome back,  never been to isle of wight notice there is an half there soon is that  part of the same course  you ran before JT.  Barcelona one of my fav cities abroad.

thanks for the company yesterday FL my gardening came to hedge cutting, grass cutting etc didn't finish until gone 6pm.

Tempo run tonight done and dusted 4.5 miles Pace 8.20 m/m HR 152.

Question time for you regarding training this coming weekend should be my last 20 mile run then the taper begins, unfortunately I have got a hell of a weekend coming up and have not got the time get a 20 mile run in.  Would it be wise to cut back and have a long one the following weekend or should I do a couple of faster than marathon pace runs of about 10 miles,  Thursday and Monday?  No answer like the thread you mentioned VikW

Running snail - 'm sure you will get the most out of your new watch the garmins have really helped me.

• Options

Welcome back JT and FE.

Congrats on your new purchase RS. You are one of us now! image

My knee didn't feel 100% but I was bored tonight so went out for a quick 3 mile blast at 8:07 pace. The sun came out just as I went out so it was a struggle! No idea how I ran twice that far at a quicker pace at the Reading 10k. image

August total - 19.2 / 45

• Options
    Hi all,

Welcome back Julia!

Well went out and ran 4.57 miles earlier(same as you Darren,distance wise,def not pace!)It should have been 6 miles but hate to say I was stopped by a fly!Damn thing shot straight in my eye!Had to stop as I could feel it and my eye started watering a bit.Why do they do that when there acres of room above me,to the sides and even below me!?One of lifes mysteries I think!

RS,enjoy your Garmin.Mine has really helped too.I've never heard of anyone who regrets investing in one.

Looking at HMs abroad,the Berlin one has had some good reviews and more importantly is flat!Neither me or OH have been there before but need to look into it a bit more and ask my parents about looking after HLs..
  • Options

Evening Guys... image

Am struggling at mo to keep up with whose doing what due to intermittent internet access... def need to buy additional laptop!! image and its the youngest HL's birthday today (5) and lmao.. she had a triathlon kit bought for her.. the pics of her in lycra are hysterical.. I know its mean to mock the offspring image, but sometimes youve gotta get something back!! hehehe (pics available on FB if want to see just send email and I'l add you.. image)

Congrats on all the running again everyone  (Vik, Sus B and PP) and sounds like peeps returning from holidays had a great time (Julia am laughing re the washing up!!).., glad to see FW back in there and DC sounds like got the Marathon in the bag already.. and RS who purchased a pair of Lunars.. hmph... but saying that... TAH DAH... WHOOP WHOOP... sacked the 11 mile run last night as alcohol from Irish coffee had sent my head bit whoozy, but today... HELLO... managed... OH YAY... 13 miles.. and YES.. could have gone on!! imageimage.. god how good do I feel.. RS you were right when you said the rest wouldve been good!!

FL.. Duathlon sounds great, am hoping to do my first next year... am soooo jealous image, what do you ride?

Hope not missed anyone... am shattered now off to bed, my HALF MARATHON LMAO.. has tired me out!!! hahahaha....

• Options
    FE - 13miles !!!imageimageimageimage  Well done!!!!!