Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options

Hills session D&D already, got up early and found a hill!  Steeper than last week's- bit of a switchback and grassy too. Lots of rabbits and dogs to avoid.  Went better than last week, but I prefer morning running.

Really pleased I've done it and can now get on with other exciting xtraining with hoover and mop.

FE- well done on the distance- that is great.  Bike wise- not sure, think it's a Trek- it's blue!!  it's about 12 years old hence talk of a new lighter weight one.  Think it's a mountain bike- can you tell I'm really not taking this seriously enough!!

Would love to see HL in tri kit, will sort it out later!

RS- enjoy the Garmin, you are entering a whole new world of obsessive running!

Vik- glad you had a good run too.

JT is awfully quiet since her return, that must be one mammoth pile of washing to get through!  Or is she away again alreadyimage?

FW- how's the knee; I have a sore foot in sympathy, I always fall apart when I start to crank up the mileage.

Rest of my week is easy runs- 2 5 milers and a 10 miler I think.

Mileage so far this month:36/omg no wonder I ache
  • Options
    Well done on the hills FL. Hope your foot gets better soon.

My knee seems fine today so should be OK for Brit Mil Fit tonight.

Am stuck in a police station near Aylesbury at the moment. I haven't been naughty, I'm just working here. Waiting for people to call me back! Off to lovely London tomorrow and Norfolk on Thurs! I'll be glad of another day off on Friday. image
  • Options

Working eh FW? You are getting around at the moment- do you plan your work trips around BMF training locations?! 

Really pleased I got up early to run, got LOADs of chores done today and also (not enough talk of cakes lately) made a rather scrumptious but sickly chocolate biscuit cake. It has fruit in it so it MUST be good for you.image A definite possible for the post-HM picnic!

More shopping on Friday for you then?image

Any of the other 4parks peeps get the email today?- T-shirt looks good and £20 voucher off Mizunos at Sweatshop- and where was I planning to go tomorrow morning? Yup, Sweatshop to try out Mizunos.image

I remember my first HM was sponsored by asics and there was £20 off them but I couldn't find a pair I liked and sulked and stuck to my Nikes.

Yippee- hope I can find a pair I likeimage!

• Options

yeahI got my email too!  The t-shirt looks fab doesn't it!! imageimage

Anyone's halflings doing the 3k race?

Now who mention lemon and poppyseed cheesecake on here- whoever it was can they link me to a recipe somehere, cooking dinner for OH sister and her boyfriend and want to show off!!!!

Just waiting for running buddy to head off for tonights plod- meant to be a 6miler but not sure in this heat!!!

• Options

Evening All

A really nice 7 mile plod done and dusted 9.30m/m ave HR. 145.

Well done on your hill session FL and cake reminders.

VikW good luck with your training tonight.

JT - still washing & Ironing.

• Options

Bother- just lost a post.image

Been out for just over 8 mile bike so now done about 16 miles on bike this month as well.

Very warm out there but avoided eating flies.

Darren's plod = 9.30mm.  Good plodding HR tho'.

FE- you should have mail (RW permitting)

Vik- HLs too young to run but if weather looks good will be there to support/ eat cake.  My recipe but it's in a book (remember those) so will now type up for you:- it's a WW recipe so theoretically healthy.

Takes 20 mins to prep, 30-40mins to bake + 1 hour chilling.  Keeps in fridge for 2-3 days. Serves 8. 290 cals/portion.

125g reduced fat digestive biscuits

25g low fat polyunsat marg (Sorry I use butter)

150 g golden caster sugar

zest of 2 lemons

1tblsp sifted cornflour

2tsp vanillla extract

300g low fat soft cheese

200g tub of 4% fat creme fraiche

110g 0%fat greek yog

2 eggs beaten

1 tblsp poppy seeds

I've made this twice now and the second time I doubled the base quantities (ie biscuits/butter) and would recommend you do the same unless really worried about cals!

Preheat oven GM6/200degC/180fan. Line base of 20cm springform or loosebottom cake tin with nonstick baking parchment.

Combine crushed biscs with melted butter and 1 (or 2) tblsp water. Press evenly into base of tin and chill until required.

Place sugar, cornflour, and lemon zest into food processor and blend briefly. Add vanilla, soft cheese, creme fraiche, yog and eggs and blend until smooth.

Pour mixture over base and sprinkle with poppy seeds (also recommend more of those!)  Bake for 30-40 mins until it has begun to shrink away from the side of tin and is golden on top- it should still wobble slightly in the middle but will firm up on cooling.  Leave to cool before removing from tin and then chill for at least one hour. Do not worry if the cheesecake cracks.

Good Luck!

• Options

Thanks foxy that looks yummy (and very health if its WW image)

6 miles done and dusted very hot and sweaty- nice!!!  Off to refuel on fish and chips- yum!!!!

Well done on hills foxy and your 7miler DC!!!

Congrats on the 13miles FE- can't wait til I reach that point!!!

• Options

Just had some nice chocolate covered flapjack for post BMF energy food. image

FL - I wish I could plan work around BMF! It's the other way around usually. I'm in Norfolk on Thursday so ideally I'd like to be back in Derby for 7pm but if not then there's a couple of alternatives en route. (i.e Cambridge and maybe Coventry). Nice to do the session on your 'home' patch though. Even if it IS 45 mins drive from home! image

No more running now until Friday and then hopefully another LSR on Sunday.

*heads off to try and find a pic of the Four Parks t-shirt!*

• Options

Morning guys image

Keep smiling at you all mentioning how muggy it is... all its done here is RAIN.. and cold RAIN it is... am thinking a move to sunnier climes may be in order!! LOL.. image running wise youre all shaming me, mine apart from my long run is at a standstill.. so monthly total.. not much!! VIK.. everytime I come on here you seem to have done a long run, thought you had done 13 miles?? (fish and chips yum.. not had that for sooooooooo long) and for the record had carb drink 1 hour before SIS PSP and 1 gel at 9 miles.. the drink def helped, have bought some jelly babies and jelly tots too to try them out this week, as hopefully am gonna go for the 14 mile mark for pyschological reasons!image

All this cake talk is making me hungry.. on a mission today to sort MR FAIRY out some homemade energy bars as opposed to Flapjacks, have found coupla recipes on here but if anyone has any would be really greatful as the consistancy needs to be right for MR F to eat on the bike.

Foxy Lady wrote (see)

FE- well done on the distance- that is great.  Bike wise- not sure, think it's a Trek- it's blue!!  it's about 12 years old hence talk of a new lighter weight one.  Think it's a mountain bike- can you tell I'm really not taking this seriously enough!!

Hahahahaha... you are funny image but sounds like mountain bike is just what you need, specially if on rough terrain!! MR F said ask away... (Im sure if he doesnt know it he'l ask me!!) hehehe.. lol.. Ive bought that many books on Triathlon, Duathlon and Cycling lately.... image

FW.. you shop more than me.. OMG.. and thats an incredible feat!! LMAO.. sounds like you colour co ordinate like me.. hehe.. Im of the thinking if you look the part youre halfway there!! image

DC.. Please help I cant remember what you have during a half marathon, am gonna try the jelly tots/jelly babies instead/and gels.. what gets you thru yours, how many do you need??

P.s. am thinking youve all gone posh on me again ordering new shoes and new Garmins.. me.. just stick to my basic Garmin 50.. I only use the heartrate monitor... timers.. pah.. thats enough for now!! image

• Options

Foxy i managed to finish the washing but THL returns from thailand tonight so must start all over again. I vote for disposable and/ or crumpled clothes myself.image  Has to be done tho as off on the cruise on sunday image 

Running snail you will LOVE it! And the 405 will fit your wrist much better than the 305.

Managed 10 miles yesterday, wasn't planning to go that far but felt good and just wanted to make sure i could still do the distance. So pretty chuffed with that.

I've tried to catch up on all the posting but am struggliing, looks like you kept order pretty well Foxy.

Susiebe glad you had a nice holiday. Sorry about the fly, hope your eye is feeling better. I fancy a marathon in the IOW or Florence. or both! The race you mention would be a pig Darren, we revisited the course last week and Mr T was suitably impressed! Blimey, you ran up there/down there he said.

Everyone seems to be doing good running. 9 weeks to go did someone say?? The t-shirt looks lovely for us girls but i'm not sure if the men are going to fancy lilac?????? image

DC i reckon a couple of shorter (ha ha i mean shorter for you!) perhaps just to keep ticking over?

Hope the knee keeps ok FW

FEimageimageimageimageimage WELL DONE! just the 0.1 to do now image

cake sounds lovely Foxy, i have taken charge of recipe corner for the work newsletter so will keep that one on file. Did healthy choc muffins last time so planning something savoury for the next one, wholemeal pizza base is tempting. with vegetable and healthy toppings of course.

got some green nike lycra shorts for the ship's gym today. just call me goddess. will have to have one last zip check on saturday. if i ever get the washing done.......

• Options

Oooh- green lycra- wow JT!  FB photo time?!

There's a fred moaning about the 4 parks shirt- think it was started by a bloke!  And our FW is concerned the sleeves "are a bit girlie". I quite like it.image

Cycled about 10 miles today and bought some new trainers; didn't need to use the 4parks voucher as they were £25 off anyway!

Seem Ok, I'll try them with a run tomorrow.  Suffering a bit with all this training of late so dived into a hot tub this evening and things feel a lot better!

And just entered a 10K in September- it's a week after I have one in my training schedule, so will swop it with the long run the week after.  So I do have a race between now and the Half.  Must set up my sponsorship page for that as well.  Next time I've got the/ Run  charity running shirt on, I'll get a pic for the Justgiving site.

Bike 26/ Run 36.

FE- VCHL (very cute HL). I'll send my duathlon questions for Mr Fairy (!) via FB so as not to bore the rest of the Gulpers.

• Options

Evening all

JT - hope you enjoy the cruise,  My mum had a follow up test today from her cancer scares which brought  good news so my Dad who likes to take advantage of anything as the cruise brochures out again.  You'll need an holiday to get over all this washing.

FE - Anything under 16 miles I take Jelly Babies and water with me.  I use water every 3 miles and Jelly babies one about every 3 miles from 8 miles onwards or when I feel like I'm getting tired.  Would like to try other things that I have read about insted of Gels on longer runs e.g Sugar barley sweets but getting to close to race day for experiments now.

Rest day today.

Take care all

• Options
    OK, I have to ask about the jelly babies! What good do they do? I lose a stone in weight on a 60 minute run by sweating a swimming pool full of sweat. What good is a poxy little jelly baby going to do me?! I'd need to stop and eat a full roast chicken dinner. image
  • Options

Don't be rude about the jelly babies- else JT will start posting her portfolio of Jelly Baby pics again!

Basically oh Fussy one, they are an easily consumed form of easily absorbed glucose, giving you a short term energy hit. Chicken is mostly protein (with fat if you leave the skin on) and is less easy to transport in your shorts pocketimage.  I prefer jelly tots, but any chewy jelly sweets will do as long as you are careful not to choke while running and eating.  Chocolate also works but has a tendency to melt as you sweat!

BMF alright tonight?

• Options

My problem is that I can't eat one jelly tot every 30 mins! I'd have to have one PACKET!

BMF was HARD! Good job is wasn't as sunny as last week. As you may have read on FB, I got to slap a lycra clad granny across the face! Never done so much running in a session. Including hill work. I'm cream crackered! image

Time for sleep. Night night all.

• Options

Slapping grannys???

Tried my new trainers this morning- a slow 5.25 miles down a very nettly/thistly footpath, not going there again until it's all died back for winter- ouch!  Seem fine, might risk them for my Sunday LSR- supposed to be up to 10miles this week, seems mad with EIGHT WEEKS still to go, heh ho.

Run miles 41 so far this month!/Bike 26.

• Options

Well done FL glad the trainers are ok!  I know I'm 10miler this week too- I don't hit 13 until 3weeks before!

FW- slapping grannies sounds scary especially as they were in lycra......image

FE I only got up to 12 point something miles and my foot went ping and hurt a lot for and for a couple weeks so am bit nervous about getting up to that mileage again- but that was the niaveity that I could change my schedule around to suit- how we learn eh?

6miles done and it is really sticky and i've just got home to find out shower is broken with OH on phone to landlord image.  Run felt good especially as spent all of yesterday eating and drinking for OH birthday!

• Options

DC great news about your Mum, they certainly deserve a cruise after all the stress lately. Not sure I could consume boiled sweets whilst running. I found jelly tots too chewy and kept dribbling. Jelly babies are big and need the heads ripped off first.................

FW I get your point about the babies. They have about 20 calories each. If you go on the assumption that 1 mile burns about 100 cals then that's 5 babies per mile. 26 mile marathon would mean..............hang on, need the calculator,  130 jelly babies. Plus one for the .2 . No, don't think you could carry that many!

Foxy hope the new trainers stay good. I like the 4 parks shirt too but it does seem a bit girlie to me too. When I get back from the cruise I'm going to look into new trainers. My NB 1063's are lovely but do probably need replacing and i figure with the higher mileage starting i may need more cushioning..................image I'm on the 10+ mile runs now but whether the boredom factor of the treadmill on the cruise will let me do that far i don't know. And they may have a 20 min time limit on them like at the other gym i once went to. Perhaps i'll be best off heading up there at midnight!

Hope you got the shower fixed Vikki, otherwise it's the hosepipe for you!

I have gone off schedule with the IOW so don't know if i'm running today or not. I'm really just concentrating on maintaining current levels so i guess a 4 miler or so would be useful.

Ah well. The next lot of washing is done. Just call me Peggy.

• Options
    My first half marathon is now 5 weekends away, starting to get a little nervous. My training has gone well when I have followed my RW schedule, but felt good on week 4 and 5 of the plan so I did more than was on the plan. I have seem to have picke dup a few niggles, I guess you learn by your mistakes.
  • Options

Welcome Anch!  I'm sure you'l lbe fine- jus think back to all the training you've done, I find that helpful when I got the jitters!!!!

Foxy thanks for the cheesecake recipe just made it and it looks fab- nearly "tasted" all of the mix cos it was so yummy!!!  Now just got to work out what to do for the main course- trying to impress as never used to get on with OH sister but now seem to be on better terms!!! 

Shower gave out luke warm water  image and I can't stand showers unless they're hot hot hot!  But hopefully someone will be coming to fix it tomorrow- but ooops I'm a double so guess OH will have to get up image

Lunars are still good- had a few probs at first but seem to be great now, not really sure if it was the Lunars or the new socks I tried!!!!

JT I keep verging towards doing Brighton and then I think I should hold out for London then thinking Brighton would be better- not sure I'd want to do it if Beardy Branson has his way and changes the route- GULP!  Neve thought I'd be having mental anquish over which marathon to do........

DC I'm with Julia shorter runs to keep your legs in check cos you've done all the mileage!!!  Obviously just my ramblings but will mention it to OH sister on saturday cos obviously she is my marathon running guru- unless of course  I poison them all with dinner image

• Options

Hi Anch

Great news DCimage

Well done Vik- what are you thinking of cooking?

• Options

Good evening Anch, have you run the full 13 miles yet? not forgetting the .1 of course...........

I don't mind now Vikki, Brighton would mean a weekend away of course image London would be - get up early and travel up on the train that morning. Hmm, Brighton may be the way to go then! Although if i get a London place i don't think i'd be able to refuse! Some bright spark at work said 'why can't you do both'

@*&^%$£^++=*&%!"£$ washing. Spent 17 minutes earlier trying to untangle 2 pairs of tights, a belt and 3 bras which had got hooked and knotted up with each other................ still it's all done.....................for now. not sure if anyone will dare to put anything else into the basket image

• Options
    Good evening all

Had a nice 6 mile run this evening,ave pace was 11.02 but felt like I could've run for longer and only went home as HLs would've been having their tea at 9pm if I'd carried on!
    I think I will be running the HM at around that pace which will still mean almost being 20 mins quicker than at Reading!Would love to do every mile at 10 m/m pace but seem to only beable to do that for the first 3 miles then I slip down to 11m/m but find it easy to maintain that pace.

DC,very pleased to hear your good news about your Mum.

Julia,have a great cruise.Where are you cruising to?Will there be a running track around the ship?I remember reading about a lady who worked on a cruise ship who trained for a marathon while onboard,I think 26 miles worked out at 72 laps around the ship!

Vik,been reading lots of good things about the lunarglides.have you been pleased with them?

FL,hope your HLs are enjoying the hols.I took mine to a craft session today at the local church hall,they made loads of things,just got to find somewhere to put them all now!!

Anch,welcome.Which HM are you doing?sure you'll do well if you've done some training,just don't overdo it!!
  • Options
    I'll be doing a quick 3 miler tomorrow morning in my Lunars with my friend. Then I guess I may as well go shopping! image
  • Options

Morning Shoppers and runnersimage.

Yay! Another 5 miles done, less nettles this time thank goodness. Still trying to put the HR training theory into practice and keep HR low and slow.

Averaged 10.29mm and HR 137 which is fine.  Actually with the heat I don't want to go any quicker.

Hi Susiebe.  Just thinking of entering a couple of 10Ks as training for 4parks- Wooburn Park and Highclere- not sure if you are interested.  You can find them on Events.  Did Highclere last year and they mean it about multiterrain and I think "undulatating" is an understatement but seeing them as good training runs and a bit of variety, more than anything else!

Which Mizunos do you have?  Just got Wave Riders.

Mileage now 46.26.  Rest day tomorrow so maybe so gentle cycling or swimming. NOT looking forward to 10 miles on Sunday as running partner wants a lie-in so won't join me early, but think I have route planned so that is progress of sorts.

Oh and just got new muffin baking trayimageimageimage.  When are you down next FW?

• Options

Well, didn't quite manage to go out for a run. My friend and I are rubbish. We just end up talking each other out of it! The thought was there though. image

I played squash tonight, though, if that makes up for it?

MAY have shopped a little bit too but that's normal for a Friday now.

I'm down south next week sometime I think. Haven't checked the plan yet! I'm definitely in Reading on Wed night ready for another hard BMF session! image

• Options

Morning Guys image

SusieB sounds like youre getting right back into it... welldone image me on the other hand, its not going well, not run an inch since Monday, no time for anything this week, LSR should be tonight but got house viewer later so betting thats out of the window too.. image FL you need to spread some of your enthuiasm over this way BIG TIME!! image Still am taking a leaf outta FW book (lol thought it was only fmales that got talked outta doing stuff!! hehe dedication image)and can't tell you how much Ive spent over the last coupla of days to compensate for lack of running!! hehe, still at least Il look good shuffling past everyone.. and lol.. got my first tri suit (looks better than you think)... hmm.. MR F keeps suggesting I join Chorey Tri Club with him... we'll see image, Got a date with my bike later, really need to master the clip in pedals before bike ride tomorrow, last time I tried could only get one to clip in and then couldnt get it to clip out... FRANK SPENCER eat your heart out.. needless to say the giggles to took over and had to give in!! image

VIK.. think thats a bit like me at the moment, because not getting the miles in during the week Im expecting still to be able to run the whole of my LSR.. Grrr.. image really need to get back into a program its driving me insane specially as Ive come to the end of this one!

Thanks for that DC.. have bought both Jelly Babies (mini ones JT) and Jelly Tots... at least I wont be tempted to stuff loads in at once now... but better stick to the Jelly Babies first as Jelly tots are far too moreish!!

Hi Anch image wheres your HM at.. mines not long now... OMG.. 19th September how many weeks is that.. panic!! image

• Options
    FE Yes I'm really enjoying my running.Felt like I let it lapse a bit while on my hols and ate a bit much(mmm french food) but back home I've been running alternate days and following the Royal Parks HM schedule and feeling fit again!
    Just need to get out there and run!As soon as you do then you'll be itching to go again!

FL,mine are Mizunos Wave Inspire 5.Had the Wave Inspire 4's before and they were great too.They are very comfy and light on my feet but good support too.I had a look at the dates of those races and its typical the Wooburn Park one falls on the weekend we are down in Cornwall with my parents. The Highclere 10k(blimey it sounds a bit to hilly for me!) is the same day as the Run 10k at Blenheim that I had looked at doing but there is a query whether OH will be at home that weekend so I haven't entered yet. I'm doing a 5k in Swindon on Sept 2nd in the evening but wanted to do a 10k before HM.

Julia,have a wonderful cruise.Hope you're all packed up and ready to set sail!

Does anyone know if there are many hills in royal parks HM?
  • Options

Hi Susie- shame about the races.  Would have been good to meet up again.

Think 4parks is pretty flat from what I've read.

Come on FE get out there, leave OH with ginja ninjas and get on with it- you have 5 weeks to go! image

Not sure my motivation is much better, I just had time to do it this week so no opportunity for excuses- not looking forward to the idea of 10 miles tomorrow but route is planned and with deliberately almost no options to cut it short so will have to do it.

Right off to bake another batch of muffins.  We're trying to decide which recipe will be best for 4parks- with a good collection of books, there is much research to be done.  Blueberry yesterday, cranberry and cinammon today!image

Happy Hols JT!!image

Oh and Fussy- what ARE you like?  Get some miles in!

• Options

Hello everyone

.Got to be quick.

Have a good holiday JT - I expect you to be running around the ship most mornings at 8.00am

Take care all