Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options

Aah Foxy, I decided to wear my natty floral RHS rose patterned wellies today! Wore a cap for the first time ever while running to keep the rain from my eyes, although it was not too bad, we were so busy nattering i didn't really notice the rain. I suspect Galleywood common was awash! Any boats out ?

I'm knitting a beautiful shortsleeved jumper with lacy crochet edgings. It's 4 ply Rowan kidsilk night which is 70% angora and silk, dark purple with a silver glitteriness, just like cobwebs with the morning dew on them..............AND the wool was in the sale otherwise it's not the sort of wool I would normally afford to buy. So I bought enough in other colours for another 2 jumpers image

I hate sewing on badges and stuff, they always seem to slip and end up wonky when I do them. Thanks for the hint on the sox, I'll check them out. Enjoy the sewing.

Susiebe, fantastic news on your run, you are right to take it steady, little by little and all that image And have fun with the new shoes, I must confess that the NB 1062's I bought at £40 off size 7.5 may be a tad small on the left foot. My toe touches the end, although it is not rubbing so i'm using them for shorter runs. The NB 1063's which they fitted at the running shop are much better. Perhaps those internet bargains sometimes are not such a bargain.......

• Options
    The lady at the running shop said that I ran with my feet sticking out odd but that I was one of the rare people in the population with a dead straight vertical line down from my knee thro my heel. So I'm straight but wonky! Sounds about right image
  • Options

Not a lot of sewing/knitting happening then!

Thanks for the reminder, I'll get back to it. 1 nametape to go.

Love the "straight but wonky" 

Jumper sounds lovely, not a knitter myself although big sis is so cubs have a great array of scarves/hats/gloves etc.

Galleywood was a tad washed out, didn't know NB did welliesimageimageimage

I often run is a hat- a baseball one in summer to keep sun out of eyes as I don't like running in glasses and a warm fleecy one in the cold/wet.  Mr FL says eyebrows are to keep rain out of our eyes!

• Options

Hi Girls

What knitting!!!!! now give me a break. I'm still here.

Foxy - Rugby is not all that bad its suprissing how little you get hurt my back injury came when a scrum collapsed,  I went to lift up and two guys jumped on me at the sametime, I should of waited for the ref but hey ho.  I was also the wrong size for an hooker at the time 5'9 and 11stone.  If he enjoys playing in the scrum perhaps flanker, but if he has a pace & with his build winger would well be worth a try he will also have the glory of scoring tries.

Foot feeling really good did 2 miles on treadmill at a slow pace and no side effects, funny thing really enjoyed it I usually hate the treadmill.  Looking at my two pairs of trainers again the old older ones are half moonshaped around the tendon area where the newer ones are straight maybe a bit of significance.

Susie really well done on your run and taking your time a real inspiration to me at moment.

Julia - Foxy - you both have done excellent to keep to your training plans a big pat on your back from me

Take care all.

• Options

*shuffles onto the thread*  I am really sorry, I'm letting the side down big style... image I have totally lost my running mojo... Actually very nearly had tears about it on Saturday, its 13 weeks until Sheffield and I haven't ran any decent distance at all this year.  Had to have a big reassuring cuddle from Mr CS to stop me turning into a blubbering idiot.   You are all doing brilliantly and chugging through those miles like they're not there... 

Oh, we'll deffo have to have a been there done that thread for afterwards Julia. image

*shuffles back off thread*  Really sorry...

• Options

Hello everyone. I've decided to enter my first HM at Stafford on March 15th so thought I'd join in this thread too! I've only ever run 9.7 miles (yesterday!) but am hoping to reach 13.1 in the next 7 weeks. My first goal is to finish without stopping. If I am being optimistic then I'll aim for 2 hours. We'll see how the training goes.

Anyone else doing Stafford?

• Options

Welcome Ed- you should be able to achieve that aim; just be sensible and remember the 10% weekly mileage increase rule, as that is the key to preventing injury.  Do you have a training plan of any sort?- you really need something. A lot of HMs have them on their sites; Readng has a nice one, else there are some on RW training section.

We talk a lot about training, a fair amount about food and occasionally knitting and sewing come up, but usually Darren gives us a talking to if we get too far off message.  Injuries and kit get a mention now and again.

Don't think any of us are booked for Stafford but best of luck!image

• Options

Thanks very much. I've been sticking to the 10% rule. Ish. image

Haven't really got a training plan as such. I try and run 3 times a week. A couple of 5 milers and a LSR at the weekend with the club that I joined 3 weeks ago. That's where I've been adding my 10% on. Started off at 7, then 8 and yesterday was 9.7 miles.

Haven't knitted since I helped my mum when I was about 7 and if anything needs sewing then I just buy a new one! image

So, please be gentle with me. It'll take alot of getting used to not getting too far off subject having been on some of the other threads!

• Options

Edster- just been checking you out- have they let you off the norty step yet over the way?

I'm a bit OCD about my running (Mr L may dispute the "bit" part of my statement) so am following a Garmin HM training plan, altho I do keep B*&(ering aroun with the days hence ending up with over 28 miles in 3 days last week!

I liked the advice they gave you about having several goals. I want to a)beat the time I did Reading HM in last year (2.20), b) do it by 10 mins c) then there's the unrealistic dream time that I don't think I could ever do but one can hope/pray and to follow your thought process, find a nice bloke's ar$e going the right speed to follow and distract me from the pain!

• Options

Just popped on here quick! Can't stay long. Welcome Edimage

Everyone seems to be doing well. as JuliaT said we done a 9 mile run on Sunday, the time wizzed by, (well it did for me!), think i didn't stop chatting ( I don't get out much!).

Planning on doing some intervals tomorrow at the crack of dawn! (Gulp!), will let you know how i get on.

Right off to nurse my headache, & get my little girl in bed.

Jen-jen x

• Options

Wonder what the generic term for sproglets of HM trainees is?image

Seem like there are a fair few of them affiliated with this thread.

<Wonders how Julia's daughter is doing at the gym>

Hope headache gets better Jenjen- did you rehydrate properly after your run yesterday?

Cub1 at Cubs, Cub2 heading for bed, FL needs to do some work but Play.com sent me Run Fat Boy Run today- ummmhhh?

• Options
    Just popping in quickly as off to a pub quiz tonight!

drumroll......Today I put my name forward into the ballot for a place in the 2009 GNR!!
    Will hear if successful or not on or before Feb 16th..
    Remember watching it on tv last year and feeling inspired by it so fingers crossed!

Must go,lots of questions to answer (wrongly usually!)Having a meal too and one or two drinks so should be a good evening..

• Options

Hi Girls & Edster.

Edster - Stafford is not to far away from me but I have signed up for the Ironbridge (Telford) Half in Shropshire (were I live).  Naughty step hey.

Went out first time for a fortnight and did a very steady 3 miles which was very hard work,  but no reaction to foot as yet will do a couple of miles on treadmill wed & Fri and try and do a 4 miler Sunday all being well.

Take care all

• Options
    DC- fab news, fingers crossed for the foot.
  • Options

Hey Everyone - Welcome Edster! (What have you done to warrent the super nanny treatment?!)

Did an eight mile fell run on Sunday and it felt fab (especially after feeling so rubbish last week) think the mojo has returned - guess we all have off days (honest Caz!) -not loosing any weight though as I appear to be eating like a shire pony (and creme eggs are back in the shops!)

Well done on geting back in the game Darren - hope the foot holds out!

We could call them halflings Foxy - like 'The hobbit'

Good luck Suisebe!

• Options

Oh my, I sit down for a bit of knit one purl one and get totally left behind! image

Yes Foxy, my wellies are NB 1234, thought you'd have heard of them, they're all the rage!

Darren fantastic for your 2 miles, treadmill is probably being kinder to you as well as a more cushioned landing than pounding out the streets! Oh, that's what i get for replying to one post at a time, 3 miles i mean.

Cazsoul don't leave us, we can't lose our star celebrity. Would a hug from us all help < hug > image 13 weeks is ages, you just need to get out through the door and start gradually cranking up the miles...

Welcome Edster, I'm not doing the same race as you but mine is also on the 15th March. You sound pretty speedy to me, although being a man you would probably have longer legs! Do you do any speed intervals? I have just had my training plan updated to include some 1 min fast bursts (8)  with 90 sec recoveries, then 80 recoveries next week. It seems to help when i come to a hill, more left in the legs.Guess I need to scour the site to find out what the naughty step is all aboutimage

FOXY! You don't look at mens arses do you? Wouldn't catch me doing that image Daughter has now signed up to the 'smart' system hence she is now an official smartie. hmmmm, i will see if i can think of a name for half marathoners tiddlywinks........

Susiebe, GNR! fantastic hope you get in! Let us know if you win the pub quiz too.......

Saltpot, lovely to hear about your run, ooooooooooo don't mention creme eggs, i can eat a whole one in one mouthful. Well, maybe i exagerate, perhaps 2.

And they are 'my precious' or preciouses as well. You may regret starting me on things Lord of the rings related, my favourite book of all time.

Ok off to bed now goodnight

• Options

Just been over to the naughty step thread, now realise the arse significance. Should we all (not you Darren) be following you then Edster?

Just waiting for the school kids to clear before i go do my intervals............image

• Options

Hope you didn't get lost in the fog Julia.  Mr FL came home from his run (9.8mm over 3.5 m-scary) with ice in his hair.  It always makes me laugh when I get back from a run on a cold day and my whole body steams if I cool off outside, especially the feet.

Feel fine after the 14+ miler but out there this afternoon, can't decide whether to plod or do my last intervals session.  Taking Mr FL out for his first 6 miler on Thursday. Actually had a good food day yesterday, think I have got my motivation back on that front, just need to keep it going until we go away which will screw it up again.

Returning to the fog/ar$e theme- you'd have to keep pretty close to be able to see the one in front with the pea-souper we currently have!

Has anyone seen Run Fatboy Run? Watched it last night, funny if implausible; I like Simon Pegg and it was a good Brit film.image

SusieBe- that's a long way to go for a run, do you have family up there? I suspect an amazing atmosphere.  The GSR is meant to be good also and I have friends who do it, however it's always half-term and I like to get away if I can somewhere warm.

Love the wellies Julia!image Do they being out a new colourway every 6 months so they can hike the price up!!?!

Right must do some work.

• Options

Hi All

I am working with some contractors today and one guy used to do ultras.  He brought in his diary from his training days (1988) and get this from 0 miles to doing a 50 mile race in 7.32 hrs all in 12 weeks.  His first training session was 5 miles,  his second was 15 miles.   From 4 weeks on his training in a week consisted of 4 half marathons after work one hill session and a longer run on sunday  anything from 25 miles to 50.

With hardly any injuries.

take care all

• Options
    Darren

That sounds great news about your foot.Hope all goes well.I know how nervewracking it is coming back from an injury,I was feeling every microscopic twinge but now I'm not feeling quite so tentative as all feels fine.Just have to take it quite slowly.I'm still taking the arnica tabs and rubbing on some cream onto my knee twice a day and will probably continue doing that even though its better!

Hope I have more success at the GNR than at the pub quiz.We were terrible Our team got 68 out of 100.The winners got 92!!!

an example of how bad we were;

Sally Alright and Harry Burns are characters from which film?
    We didn't know and guessed at 'Sleepless in Seattle.'
    Correct answer 'When Harry met Sally'!!!
    Massive clue in the question that sailed over our heads!

I did know who the new host of Countdown is though!!!

Edster,welcome.good to see you here and good luck with your HM.

FL,Yes my Aunt lives near Durham and is due a visit .This is the one race which I have really always wanted to do especially as I can't really see myself doing the FLM.Massive race though(52000 runners)but great atmosphere.Fingers crossed!
  • Options

Hi again everyone and thanks for the welcomes. This is a very friendly thread! image

Foxy Lady wrote (see)

Edster- just been checking you out- have they let you off the norty step yet over the way?

I'm a bit OCD about my running (Mr L may dispute the "bit" part of my statement) so am following a Garmin HM training plan, altho I do keep B*&(ering aroun with the days hence ending up with over 28 miles in 3 days last week!

I liked the advice they gave you about having several goals. I want to a)beat the time I did Reading HM in last year (2.20), b) do it by 10 mins c) then there's the unrealistic dream time that I don't think I could ever do but one can hope/pray and to follow your thought process, find a nice bloke's ar$e going the right speed to follow and distract me from the pain!

I'm being checked out?! Oh my! image

Nice to see that you adapted my goal c) from the other thread. I'll still be looking for a ladies ar$e though. image
    Julia T wrote (see)
    Welcome Edster, I'm not doing the same race as you but mine is also on the 15th March. You sound pretty speedy to me, although being a man you would probably have longer legs! Do you do any speed intervals? I have just had my training plan updated to include some 1 min fast bursts (8)  with 90 sec recoveries, then 80 recoveries next week. It seems to help when i come to a hill, more left in the legs.Guess I need to scour the site to find out what the naughty step is all aboutimage
    Actually I have fairly short legs. When I tried to do the hurdles at school I always ended up with a high pitched voice! image
    I haven't done any speed intervals. I recently bought the Competitive Runners Handbook and haven't got to that chapter yet!

I'll try and be good on this thread so I don't have to endure two naughty steps at once! image
  • Options

Heh Edster- at least you could get over the hurdles, I was petrified of them.

Went for an easy run today 4 miles. Saw 3 black (Aussie) swans on the Thames to add to the collection of weird wildfowl.  Only point where it wasn't easy was when some boys and their teacher from the local boys school started running behind me, the teacher overtook me so I cranked it up a bit, got ahead and lost them- turned out a 8mm for a bit there.

Next run is an easy 6 miler with Mr FL on Thursday morning. 5 runs to HM.  The signs are up on the local roads warning of road closures so it must be happeningimage.

Meeting tonight so it'll be quiet in Foxland from now on, off to get Halfling/Cub 2 to bed before his older sibling muders him!

• Options

Hey All

Foxy - yes 'Run fat boy run' is great -very funny, if somewhat implausable!

I'm still not understanding the arse references - perhaps it's better not to know...

My garmin has arrived! image just need to work out how to use it now!!! I'm bit of a techno-tit!.  Totally tedious exam meeting today - back late, so didn't get out - it's my intention to do every day for the rest of the week though.

• Options

Essex had no fog at all today, in fact it was a lovely sunny day here, needed my image Only saw one other lady running today and she was going the other way to me anyway so no arses to look at image 

I have seen Run fatboy run 3 times and i LOVE it! Especially when he hits the wall! Yes, the wellies are available in all sorts of options, chocolates, zebra stripe, you name it!

Crikey Darren there's hope for us all then! By the way I have sussed out how to input detailed intervals into the Garmin so if you need instuctions give me a hoy. Did my new intervals today and finally had 'HR too high' displayed! Hurrah. Managed them really well and even went to do another extra as i hadn't realised i was at the end. 1 mile warm-up, 8 x 1 min at full pelt (75-85% HR although i was higher) with 90 sec recoveries, 1 mile cool down. And the Garmin beeped in all the right places so i did not have to think at all. Groovy image

Susiebe I would not have got that question right. So don't feel bad. 68% was always a pass at school, infact a merit i believe? I don't know the new host of countdown either image Glad your knee is still feeling good!

Edster I'm dithering over my remark to you, have retyped several times but i think it was too rude and i would have probably ended up on the naughty step myself so i shall not say what i was thinking. image My bottom is actually one of my better features actually. I get beeped by more cars driving from behind than i do from head-on.image

• Options

Oh look at that, i started typing before dinner but have only just pressed enter so find 2 more posts have appeared!

Have you got the jelly babies and jelly tots yet Foxy? I was shocked to discover how many sweets my vegetarian halfling (no i cannot call her that, she is taller than me with size 9 feet!) cannot eat as they contain gelatine. Have to read every label even more now...

Hi Saltpot you need to read Edster's other thread (or, indeed he may well be contributing elsewhere too) "Working at it slowly", page 6307 onwards! I popped in to say hello but could not keep up and i would not want Edster to think we were stalking him so I've left them in peace!

Aaaah the Garmin image fantastic. If you need any help give me a shout. I've finally worked out how to do lots of things on it! image 

• Options

SP- congratulations on your Garmin- yippeee; best toy ever.

Haven't stocked up on sweeties yet as trying for a couple of REALLY healthy food weeks (except going out for a governors social curry on Friday) so trying not to have naughty food on the premises.

Recommendations for a healthy curry that's not too hot please- and I have to run the next day!

Nice veggie recipe for Julia's tall halfling: Fry 1 red onion for 3 mins, add cpl cloves garlic, I tsp cumin seeds and optional tblsp curry powder.  fry a bit more.  Then add 1 can tinned cherry toms, I can drained chick peas and 1 can drained green lentils, 1 veggie stock cube and 150ml water.  Bring to boil and simmer for about 20 mins, then wilt some spinach and parsley (I used cabbage and coriander because 'tis not the season for spinach).  Yum.  Total time about 30 mins.  Enough for 4.

Just had my Parish Council meeting and one of the agenda items was........

Notification of Road closures for WHM from 9am to 2pm.  It starts at 10 so they are allowing plenty of time!

It is weird that it is so local to me, but that I don;t think I have been along 90% of the route ever.

Julia- well done with getting the HR up and getting the Garmin sussed.  B4 I managed to download I did lots of programming but haven't for ages as I used the 10K then the HM plans.  Not sure what I will do after my HM, as I will have a couple of weeks off and then bits of 4 weeks b4 I do (if I do) the next one.

Maybe just do some of the last 4 weeks again (without the 14 miler I suspect!)

Day off tomorrow, just going to try and do lots of leg stengthening stuff to keep the knees going.

Happy Running image

• Options
    Julia T wrote (see)

Edster I'm dithering over my remark to you, have retyped several times but i think it was too rude and i would have probably ended up on the naughty step myself so i shall not say what i was thinking. image My bottom is actually one of my better features actually. I get beeped by more cars driving from behind than i do from head-on.image

*makes mental note to try and follow Julia in a race this year*

My Garmin 405 was the best thing that I ever bought! Especially as it tells you your current pace. I used it ALOT on my recent 5km race as I wanted to break 25 mins so when it was lapping at pretty much exactly 5 mins / km I knew I had a chance. I'm setting it for 8 min miles on Sunday for the Alsager 5 too but not sure I'll be able to stick at that pace for the whole race! Depends on if Julia (or similar) is in front of me I guess. image