Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options

Evening All,

Still a little tired today but comfortably walking about, missed my Monday night hill session tonightimage.  Guess you see the mistake I made should of been 3:37 not 1:37image

B&T - I know it sounds daft but everything went right for me yesterday the undualiting course just how I like it, the wind not so good but it wasn't to bad.  The gels well I guess some more practice is needed there and by the time I grabbed hold of the lady the race was almost over.  I'm not to serious for any of theseimage

Watervole - You say youv'e been running for 15 years and ask us for adviceimage, I would plan to do the last two weeks 10 then 6.  In the meantime just do around the distance at a comfortable pace.  If your not worried about pace training at a comfortable pace/HR will build your aerobic fitness which Long distance is mostly about.

Mathematic - So your training at 11 mins/mile pace your training for an Half marathon and youre considering going over 3 hrs, No need unless your marathon training.  Up your distance by no more than 10%.  If youre doing 9 miles 13 will be easy come May. 

Jess - Poor you.  I need to tell you as well - I'm guessing your training 4 Manchester and using the races beforehand as training races.  Keep building the aerobic fitness do 1 tempo/speed session a week if needed but a marathon is 99% aerobic fitness levels.

Take care all

• Options
    Evening all
    Just back from core and aching already!
    Hi mathematic - I'd agree with AH the longest run I did before my half was 13 miles or 2.5 hours and I don 't think I'd go much longer than that personally
    Great story Jess!
    Hi Watervole- I would do 12 again next Sun then 8 the week before. but I'm no expert
    Great running Jess and Toby
  • Options
    Evening all! Just a quickie. Had a text from Mel who apologies for being absent, but he still has no broadband at home, no internet on his phone and not supposed to use it at work. So he sends his 'hellos' to everyone image
  • Options

Poor Mel!

Easy 5 this morning, as we set out into the frost, the drizzle started, but looking at it now, we had the best of it.  Went fine though although a little quick! Should have been about 10mm and was 9.40 but that's the dark/cold/wet effect for you.

Well done on the core class SS- it will really help your stability and strength for running.  I do some daily for my back else it collapses. And if I miss a couple of days, I know it.

Glad the recovery is good AH and welcome to the newbies, albeit some of them have been running way longer than the rest of us!!

Toby- glad you are getting back to it OK, take it easy.

And Jess, hope the bruises are fading and the humiliation a distant memory!

Waves to everyone else!

• Options

Jess - image at being a papergirl and image to your slippy accident. Hope you're okay - just the kind of thing I'd do. Good run BTW as well!

Hi Watervole - one of my Hm schedules has a quick 10K the weekend before a HM. Certainly gets the blood flowing without tiring you out too much! Definitely cutting back over teh next few weeks though. Virus sounds horrid - glad you're better again!

Toby - hurrah for the run!  Glad it felt good and image at it feeling slow but being fast!

AH - glad you're not too serious - here have some more imageimageimageimageimage I presumed you meant 3:37 rather than 1:37 - but with you I never know!!

Mathematic -  I thought Sheffield would have been hillier than that, but I'm originally from t'other side of the Pennines so what would I know image

Sal - well done on the core work. I had a new year's resolution to just do my 'Abs' DVD once a week, and I think I missed last week so that's one resolution gone already! Must do it, as I'm carrying my Christmas weight around my middle - yuck!

Foxy - good run this morning. Yes - the cold, wet & dark makes you run faster than you you intend. Was looking at the race list - what's with this Grim Night Terror thing?????? Sounds even worse than my Slaughterford 9 (and I'm bricking that already!) - and presumably at night as well??? Is it river wading & mud rolling again?!

Desperate to get back on my schedule, so made it out for my "6M Steady". Had to wear my new shoes image even though it was pouring down with rain here. Did plan a route that avoided wading through any fields, but our roads & lanes are so muddy and waterlogged they still had a proper baptism. Felt good though. Left arch was a bit twingy - maybe because these shoes have more support than my last pair and my left foot doesn't really need as much as my right? However it went off so I pressed on.

Boy I was soaked when I got home!

• Options

Grim Night Terror Link

I think it is borderline insane. Doing it with my running partners JohnFol and UglyBetty. T shirt looks nice!!

Hope the shoes settle. I dread new shoes even if they are identical. Need some new ones imminently as one pair are reaching the magic 500m mark.

Talking of miles, wish I'd gone the longer route home today- mileage for January so far 99.6miles!image

Might explain the tired legs and delight at my "easy" week.

• Options
    Yes, may do just a fast 10k round my normal course, the Sunday before, thats certainly an option.... or do you think an even faster 5k Parkrun?
  • Options

here no right or wrong it really down to you as you know how fast your body recovers

• Options

FOXY!!!!!!  image I think insane for sure, nothing  borderline about it image!!! Sounds like another set of ruined running kit as well!

Realised I've hit my monthly target of 62M (100k) today - has been a goal for months but I rarely hit it unless I'm actually running a HM that month , so image for me. I'd be really annoyed if I'd got to 99.6!

Watervole - I don't know, 5K is maybe a bit short the week before? Can you just do the Parkrun course twice??!! 

Just uploaded some photos I took today. I've been adding them to my blog, just so I can remember what this marathon training lark is all about in case I ever decide to do it again.  Thought I'd share - just to prove how wet it was today.  Close up I have rain dripping off my nose and chin- yet another in my series of attractive running photos!

/members/images/502743/Gallery/wetlucy.jpeg

• Options
    No - washed clean by the rain!
  • Options

Afternoon all

Well 8 miles done managed to keep the pace down to around just over 10m/m pace i made shore i kept a more careful eye on my Garmin this time out

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Just been reading back - thank you B&T for passing on my apologies and explaining about the 'radio silence' just lately. Stopping by while I have the chance .. sshhhhh! image 

We switched to BT broadband last Wed and have had no service since then - you find yourself thinking you'll just do something .. then realise you can't as you don't have any internet access. I hadn't believed until now how b****y difficult it is to get a numpty in Mumbai to pass on a message that we have no broadband and an engineer in the UK needs to fix it. If there's a way of screwing things up and passing on a garbled (or just plain wrong!) message, those idiots in Mumbai seem to be more than capable of managing it. In other news .. my gum is still sore where I had a tooth out - its not as bad as before but taking time to heal up. I have two toenails in the throes of dropping off (toe next to big toe on each foot).

However, the latest headline news is that something twanged in my right calf at the end of my gym session last Thursday image I had to ice it, rest it and gently stretch it on Friday and over the weekend and missed bootcamp 2nd session. I'm able to walk and drive again now but running is out of the question for a few days yet as it still feels tight.

I think the problem is my body just isn't capable these days of coping with this short, sharp, sprint-type stuff. When the problem happened, my PT had me trying to run across a room at the gym, lifting my knees and driving my legs into the floor while he held me back with a waist strap. Anyway, I've given up on doing the bootcamp on Sunday's now (involved pressups, burpees etc combined with sprinting to and from nearby trees) so Mrs Wm is going to see if she can convert the Sunday bootcamp sessions into a couple of extra one-to-one sessions at the gym.

A general 'well done' re all the training/racing that has been going on ..

Toby - glad to hear the knee problem seems to just be muscular. £48 for the GNR??  image (I thought £39 for Bath HM was a bit much).

Susie - happy nooo (PINK!) shoes image

AH - well done for helping that girl to cross the finish line

A 'hello' to new posters mathematic & watervole .. *waves* to everyone else! image

• Options

Hi All,

Race looks interesting FL, well the party afterwards.

Mel - Hope the calf gets better soon.  Have same problem with broadband at work been waiting since Mid December & still not fixed. Will be a solid week just catching up.

B&T - What you mean just in case you decide to do it again - not many people that I know only stick to one - just ask Susie, JT, Toby, Jess and meself I'm sure the list can keep goingimage.  Well done on the 100K for the month.

3 miles recovery done tonight and all seems good, next fortnight will just be short recovery runs and then may enter Stratford or another marathon for the end of April.

• Options

Hi all

just a quick post before bed (worked last nightimage)

AH,glad you enjoyed Gloucester and bravo for helping the girl to finish.I lived about five mins from The Pilot Inn,remember some good times thereimage.Lovely countryside but 3 loopsimage

FL,wow thats some miles in 24 daysimagerace looksimagelook forward to seeing another rather muddy pic of yourself.Well done on your weight loss,a real inspiration,didnt know you'd lost that muchimage

B+T,love the pic.Rain is great,very refreshing.imageglad training is going well and new shoes too(what colour?)

Mel,sorry youve had broadband problems.Yes my shoes soles are very PINK,my eldest daughters description was 'cool' when she first saw themimageShe now thinks her Mum is a bit trendyimage(I'm not at all)

toby,great that you're running aginimage

Ran yesterday(5 miles)and will do 6 tomorrow before doing 12 on Saturday

have a good evening,goodnight from meimage

• Options
    Hi everyone

AH - thanks for that. really appreciate the advice. The schedule I have at the moment doesn't really give pace times (which is great and doesn't put extra pressure on) but I also know I can be a little bit lazy and just plod doing 10 miles instead of actually pushing myself a little - so I've looked at another schedule that I can marry the two together. They are very similar, it just suggests doing the long runs at a 1150 to 1220 pace, so hoping it will give me a bit of focus. I'll do as you say and maybe just do one speed/tempo session a week, but concentrate on the aerobic. I think as my runs get longer I will need to look at an alternative to the gels, as they really don't agree with my belly at all. Bring on the jelly babies image. Ohh and AH, hope you're having a lovely rest this week after your amazing run! image

Foxy - you remain the bionic woman to me - amazing.

Mel - sorry to hear about your leg. It's difficult isn't it to see where pushing yourself a little becomes too much. I found the running classes I was going to were probably a little bit too advanced for me at this stage, so will definitely go back later in the year, but for now just need to concentrate on pushing myself. Hope it's OK.

Toby - hope your leg is OK and you are bearing up image

Susieb - How's it going for you? Hope the training is going well

B&T - ha ha - I know how to make an entrance! What a great picture - you look dead healthy. A picture of me running in the rain, and all you would see is a face like a slapped backside! image

Big wave to everyone else and hope you're all having a good week. Just did my XT today - 15 mins on bike, 5 mins rowing, 10 mins strength exercises.

Take care xx

ps. I logged my first run on the fetchpoint thingy and amassed 28000 ish points, with two garmin markers. I have no idea what any of that means but it sounds good image x
  • Options

Foxy Lady i keep meaning to say thanks for the post on how you lost weight i did find it very helpful

Mel sorry to hear the Broadband still down hope the leg recovers quickly   

B&T you do look somewhat  soggy

• Options

PS waves to everyone else

• Options

Jess.... whos programme are you using?

I am going through a phase of looking at all different programmes/ seeking advice from others. I use Smartcoach a bit, altho tend to ditch the speed sessions for tempo runs instead.... Anyone, am I doing that wrong? Just prefer a continous run + I feel it does my endurance better. Does it make a difference?

(Im sure all these programme devisers would pull their hair out knowing that people change their programmes!)

• Options
    .... who gets up at 4.02 to post???image
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Just popping by again image

Broadband - the display on the home hub router changed last night .. a red 'b' instead of a blue 'b'. Checking the manual I saw this meant the broadband was active (ie the fault on the line had been fixed at the exchange) but the hub was still unable to connect. A couple of hours later, having tried various things myself and having spoken to the call centre in Mumbai, the analysis was the hub itself is stuffed and they are going to have to send a replacement .. in a day or two! Grrrrrr ..

Calf - still feels a  bit tight but getting better.

=====

AH - if we didn't have any network here in the office I think there would be a riot! image

Susie - I agree about loving running in the rain. I get soaked with sweat anyway so more moisture from outside doesn't make any difference.

Jess - there's obviously a thin line (which I crossed!) between pushing yourself and damaging yourself. The good news is Mrs Wm has spoken to the PT and he'll convert my bootcamp sessions into some one-to-one sessions instead. Re Fetchpoint, the points don't actually mean anything other than adding to your own self-satisfaction. But collect 5 Garmin thingies (referred to as Garmangles) and you'll be in the prize draw for a Forerunner 110.

*waves* to everyone else

• Options
    Water Vole thats not getting up thats winding down after i get home from work
  • Options
    Ahh brilliant - thanks for that Mel. image Great news that the PT can adapt the bootcamp sessions.

Water Vole - hiya. I'm just using the schedule that is on the www.greatermanchestermarathon.co.uk training page, for beginners. There is a book I have that has various different marathon schedules in it (which I can't remember what it is called, so I will repost the name) but that has a specific pace aimed at a finish time, but think it's a bit too advanced for me, so have just adapted the pace to what is closer to what I do, but give me focus.

That's probably as clear as mud!!!

Hope you're all well xxx
  • Options

Jess - healthy? I like!!!! That schedule does seem to up the miles quite quickly at the start - weeks 1 -3 LSR are 7M, 10M, 12M - in my plan they're 60min, 1hr 15min, 1 hr 30 min! Well done on the Fetchpoint game - the thing now is to see if there's any bugs within 1M of your home point, as you'll lose points every day until you move them away! me?addicted??? image

Mel - glad you can sneak online every so often. Boo! to the sore calf, but hoorah! to being able to change your sessions.

Watervole - I guess the only thing with doing tempo runs rather than interval run is it might be more tiring?

AH - Did sound a little negative, didn't it? The only thing is that the 2 people I know 'in real life' who've run the London Marathom, have both never run again afterward. Slightly sobering thought. Also, I never realised how all emcompassing this marathon training would become image

Enjoying my 'rest' day today. Did my 10 mins 'Abs Pilates DVD' this morning, so then felt entirely justified to have a little sit on the sofa, feet up reading the new RW magazine that had just popped through the door. I like rest days! 40 mins tomorrow, then nothing until Race on Sunday. Trying hard not to think about the amount of rain that fell here thi sweek, and thinking flippers or wellies might be suitable footwear ....

• Options
    Easy day here too, just 30 mins up the gym: rower, elliptical, core and stretches.
    Have been baking and scoffing, still looking at my intervals session tomorrow, that's the carb load sorted!!
    Poor Mel injured and computer deprived: nightmare!!'
    Come back sounding good Toby!

New kit here now: new balance capris, tights and a half zip long sleeve top- black with bright pink high viz flashes- very cool! For £50 in the sweat shop sale and I'm dead pleased- pic will be on FB shortly. First decent new kit for ages so dead pleased and NOT being worn for the Grim Terror!!

Big waves to all!!
  • Options

Easy day as well rest day.  wanting to go for a plod but following my 2 week recovery schedule before training starts again.

Jess - LSR pace should be 60 seconds slower than TMP or 10 - 20% so for aguments sake your target pace is 10M/M that becomes 11 - 12 minute pace.  I would start of with the 12 M/M and progress it to 11M/M, a midweek run at TMP and one tempo run at 9.30ish pace. easy/recovery runs or rest for the other days-  that will be enough to push you and improve your aerobic fitness.  With the midweek run @ TMP start of with a few miles after W/U then increase gradually mileage when your comfortable at that pace.  Tempo run 20 - 30 mins.

Water Vole - I believe you mentioned HR before,  have you read the Hadd training plan - just google it.  interesting read and could be for you?

B&T - Enjoy the muddy race on Sunday - Don't know about your 2 people you know but did they run a lot before London? 

FL - Some new kit - seems a lot for £50.00.

P.S - Ive been eating like a pig since Sunday is that still recovering?

• Options
    Evening all
    Great mileage for the month Foxy
    Welcome back Mel!
    Glad you like your new gear Foxy
    Hideous on call yesterday and still sore from core so ditched intervals tonight and had a lovely gentle 2 m run with my eldest. Will aim instead to do some mile reps on sun at planned 10k pace
    Off to bed after Masterchef!

46.69/70......not a hope!
  • Options

Morning all

Well 5 miles done yesterday decided to do them on the treadmill instead of going out for a run rest day today I’ve stopped running when a dog comes towards me after i got bitten on the ankle by one

• Options

Foxy image to your new kit. Glad it all fits.

Ah - I definitely think you're allowed to be recovery eating still! The 2 people I mentioned - 1 I believe started running solely to run London, but the other had run for years, good club runner, but got injured in his trainin. Did what you're advised not to, (but we all would) and ran the marathon anyway. Totally knackered his achillies tendon and hasn't run since  image I guess I should be thinking of all the good examples we have here on this lovely thread. Its just so daunting!

Sal - definitely sounds like it was a good plan to swap your sessions round, and how lovely to have a good run with your eldest image Whenever I've tried running with my daughter we get about 100m out of the house and she's moaning!

Toby - when were you bitten by a dog? Was that recently? How horrible. I got jumped upon by a very bouncy collie this morning - mud all up my front. Good job it didn't matter as my running kit goes straight in the wash the minute I get in anyway. Her owner finally managed to grab her (I've met them before, and she's very young, very friendly and has huge amounts of energy) so I could run past. All up the lane I could hear him shouting at her - it was a bit like the famous "BENTON!" Yutube video!

Just over 3 miles of my hilly route today. Very slow on the steep bit but ran up the whole way image Thought I'd better warn my body about Sunday! Nothing now until the race...

• Options

B&T no this was some time ago when i was out training for Brighton last year it to was a very young boarded collie over which the owner had no on control