Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options
    ........ oh dear, anotherhill..... just seen Steve Bruce up for the Wolves job.... who would you prefer??
  • Options
    WV - Only hope Curbs get it - really dont want Mr Potato Head (Bruce) - the longer it goes on though gives me the impression it won't be curbs.  You may laugh at this but I wouldn't mind Keegan getting it for the last 13 games then appointing the right manager for whichever league were in.  Yes good win for you lot last night
  • Options

Afternoon all

Well that’s another LSR out of the way went out without having a fixed route in mind just went where i fancied

the run should have been 14 miles but near the end i had a senior moment and couldn’t for the life of me remember whether it was 14 or 15 i should be doing so to be on the safe side went with the 15 only to find when i got home it should have been 14

the whole thing took 2:32:58 with and Avg pace of 10:08

• Options
    Evening all

Wow foxy - amazing run at bramley (and great photos)
    Glad to see another city fan WV, wasn't it an amazing match last night
    Well done on th weight loss Susie- always nice when others notice
    Hi to everyone else
    We've had a lovely chilled week in Anglesey, just what I needed. 3 hilly runs done 5, 6.5 and 7 miles at a reasonable pace for me. So nice to be out in daylight in beautiful scenery. Right quad a bit twingy today but planning to nip down to parkrun in the morning
  • Options

Slowsal... City fan... what part of Manchester are you from??? Yep, good win, did well, nice to see Yaya back (thats how is spelt isnt it?) 

Anotherhill...... Keegan, you would like him, hes lovely, think I would be cockahoop with Curbs... I bet Mrs Curbs is probably the stumbling block though...... but Mr "I have a cliche for everything" Bruce..... oh dear...

And Toby..... you ol' devil you..... arent we funny... a quitter would have just said it wouldnt matter what the mileage was... but no... the dedicated ones have do it right, make sure they achieve what they set out to, and hey presto add another mile on. Well done you!! And a good time too!! Im a bit behnd you pace wise, my LSRs are about 10.40, but I think they may be improving this year. Had some good winter work in.

Well, its my Half tomorrow. Had a real downer on yesterday... felt fat, slow and indifferent. I went through my training log last night... and wow!!!... what am I worried about??.... will do the course, thats the first thing, then look for a good run.... not even worried about pace....

Ive had two runs down at my local canal this week. One, I saw a kingfisher (twice!), and one I saw a heron..... now that it what I run for!!

Making a cake today (Victoria sponge, made properly with proper butter, with jam and butter icing)... this is going to be my reward tomorrow night, along with one of Mr Voles foot massages.....

• Options

Good Luck tomorrow WV - A great motivation looking back on the data.  Enjoy.  BTW - big rumour it's going to be Bruce image, Bookies favourite as well.

• Options

W/V good luck tomorrow i hope the race goes well and above all enjoy

• Options

Good luck WVimage. We're in Stockport, and have  a chicken called Yayaimage. Cake sounds good

parkrun pb this morningimageimageimage 30.39, 23s improvement on 4 weeks ago

I think I suit rain and mud.

Surely this will be the year I finally go sub 30image. Kept thinking that these hills had nothing on the Anglesey ones

40.41/70

• Options

Well done on the PB SS!!! Nearly there now!

WV- please send cake, I am drooling despite over eating here.

2 runs yesterday, 2 runs today, not sure how I am going to cope with a LSR tomorrow as well.

Over 210miles so far this year.

• Options

..... 2.08 on my watch! OMG I am so pleased.... was hoping for sub 2.10, 2.05 was going to be the bestest I could have forecast, so 2.08... yes I would definitely have taken it at the start of today !!

Thank you to you all... the past few weeks have bee quite trying.... I had had an 8 week layoff with a virus-y thing, only started proper pacework 3 weeks ago, and I dont think I would have made it without your support (gulp, Im going to shed a tear here....) image

• Options

.. back to normal now <blows nose and puts hanky away>

Slowsal.. knew you were Manky... all City fans are!! I was born under the Red roar.... yep, born and bred in Old Trafford. Saw the light when I was about 12 or 13 and wondered why City were being ignored, never looked back. My Family all now live in the Stockport area... Bramhall, Poynton, Marple.

Hard luck with Bruce, Anotherhill, to be fair, he did do a good job at Sunderland until about a year ago... and he always seems to have an unhealthy relationship with Utd... buys a lot of their cast offs.....

• Options
    Afternoon Foxy... howdiditgo???? Sounds absolutely brill... would it suit a slower runner like myself... what were the pace ranges of everyone. Is it like The Biggest Loser with their training regimes?
  • Options

.. I stink, and am off for a hot bath...... the blue-and-white Lush bathbomb awaits.... it was a tad cold out there with quite a breeze, but not as cold as for Foxy's Bramley run, still quite chilly and there was a wind

.....and 4 motorway bridges to get over...

• Options
    Slowsal... do you do the Bramhall Parkrun... Ive done it once with my brother.... quite a challenge, altho Ive heard that Woodbank is worse? Will have to say hello if we are at Parkrun together..
  • Options
    Hi everyone

Watervole - amazing. Well done you. So pleased for you. Ohh I live right opposite Woodbank park (just off Stockport Road West, near Bredbury Hall). I've kept meaning to meet up with Sal for a parkrun but haven't got the confidence yet. Will definitely try soon. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Susie - great news on GNR. I'll pop you on the list. Not sure if this helps but I'm staying in Morpeth and getting the transfer (£29) from there. The hotel was only £59. Here's the link.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/waterford-lodge-morpeth.en-gb.html?sid=53825ce3ceee431c44957884dee21908;dcid=2

Mel - great running from you. That's great you did that far at that pace. I still can't manage a decent pace at that distance. Well done.

Toby - hope you're good too. Great running/training from you as usual. Be great to meet up the day before Brighton. Although I'm staying at my mum's, I've booked a hotel room in Worthing so that I only have half an hour travel in the morning to get the coach. I'm parking at the University Campus. Really looking forward to it (especially as I'm just treating it as a training/easy run for Manchester).

Foxy - not had a chance to look at your pictures yet (next on the agenda) but great run from you, and hope you enjoy running camp. (I don't meaning running like Duncan Norvelle).

Sal - hope you're well. Hope you had a lovely time in Anglesey. My little step son's mum is from Angelsey - he loves the place.

Hope you're well AH. Big waves to Spen / Julia T / B&T and everyone else.

Here's the updated list with Susie added :

GULP RACE LIST

4 March 2012 _____SusieB - Bideford HM / Water Vole - MK 10K

11 March 2012 __ Toby3 / B&T - Bath Half Marathon / Claireruns - Addidas Half Marathon / JessL - Salisbury 10 miles / Sal - Trafford 10K

25 March 2012 ___ JessL - Wilmslow Half Marathon / FoxyLady - Water of Life HM

1st April 2012 ___ FoxyLady - Reading Half Marathon

6th April 2012 ___ FoxyLady / Water Vole - Maidenhead Easter 10 miler

15 April 2012 ___ Toby3 / Foxy Lady / JessL - Brighton Marathon

22 April 2012 ____ B&T - London Marathon

29th April 2012 ___ JessL / Susiebe1 - Manchester Marathon / FoxyLady - Bracknell HM

20th May 2012 ___ JessL - Great Manchester 10K Run

9th June 2012 ____ JessL - 10K Trailblazer Sherwood Forest

8th July 2012 ____ JessL - New Forest 10 Mile

16 Sept 2012 _____ Toby / Jess L / Susie B - Great North Run

30 Sept 2012 _____ JessL - Loch Ness Marathon

27 Oct 2012 ______ Another Hill - Snowdonia Marathon

Thank you for all your good wishes with the band. We've sold 2000 pre release albums (so made up with that) and just got support tour in Portsmouth / Glasgow / Leamington Spa / Manchester with the Inspiral Carpets (ohh takes me back!) so really pleased with that.

On training front - I was supposed to do 15 miles LSR yesterday and went to do a run around Delamere Forest. Anyway - I thought I'd do 2 laps of the 7 mile route. I did one lap and it only said it was 6 miles, and did the route in reverse which was a big mistake as it was mostly uphill (which I hadn't realised) that time round - so I was very slow and had to walk more that I would have liked. Also - been doing lots of yoga this week (as have made my loft into my yoga den) and my legs were wrecked. Anyway - managed 12 miles at a very slow pace of around 13.30 mile per min, but had a lovely day out to be fair. Oh well - better than nothing I suppose! image

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend. xxx
  • Options

I wouldnt worry about the timings, Jess, its time on your feet more that anything that will see you through.

Yep, I just about know that bit of Stockport, Jess, must be great to have it on your doorstep! I have to go 20 miles, but usually make sure I either a) shop at MK (always a good reason) or b) meet up with my friend for a bacon roll and catch up. Next time Im in Manchester, we could all meet up to at least say Hi, or run together... or meet with Slowsal? No worries if you prefer not. x

Now I smell all sweet, Im off for coke, crips and Victoria sandwich.

How are you Foxy, can you move without sheer pain????

Edited for spelling, once again.

• Options
    Definitely. I've twice tried to meet with Sal. Once at the Manchester 10k but that fell through (due to me not being able to sort parking for her) and then at a Salford race that I had to pull out if. Definitely give us a shout when you're up / and hopefully all 3 of us can meet.

Get you feet up and have a rest image x
  • Options

Foxy is home and imageimageimage.

Only injury a bruised foot where I walked into a wardrobe, but didn't affect this morning's gorgeous HILLY sunny LSR of just over 11miles. I have run 53.47 miles in the last 8 days including 2 consecutive days of doubles.  MY legs are a little tired and banned from running until Wednesday at the earliest but I have managed to get a sports massage in Tuesday which I think they deserve.

A fab weekend: stunning location, GREAT food, lovely people and runs and really interesting training information. Thought I had read it all but I learnt lots. Highly recommend it. There were people there for the 2nd and 3rd times and I could see why.

I shall now do a shameless plug for them PP running camps

WV- image Woo hoo on your race, it sounds great and and wonderful time! And

Jess-imageWoo hoo for your band; sounds optimistic!

Returned home to arrival of more running kit- new shorts and a hig viz gilet, both Sugoi and sale BARGAINS. And came home with a buff- how did I live without one?!

Waves to everyone else!

• Options
    Evening
    Well done WV amazing time, bet you're still smiling
    I live 5 mins from bramhall park so that's where I'm trying to crack 30 mins, and nice to hear someone else say it's a tough course
    So yes, next time you're up let me know and we'll persuade Jess to join us image
    Sounds fab foxy
    Good run this afternoon- 6.65m at 10.19 pace whilst chatting with running partner. Last 0.65 m at 9.54 pace. Didn't feel hard and really enjoyed it. It's good seeing my easy run pace improve. This time last year I was struggling to do mile reps at that pace.
    How was the cake WV? I made chocolate fudge cake with my youngest today- delicious. Just need the chicks to lay now in time for pancake day

47.06/70
  • Options

Evening All,

WV - Great race todayimage, I do however want to see what you can achieve without the 8 weeks off.

Sal - Another good PR today - so close to the sub 30 I'm certain that you will get it soon even on a tough course.

FL - running camp sounds ace, doubles sounds very serious stuff.

Jess - Time on your feet is important - keep building your aerobic fitness slowly.

Meself - building up the mileage again and feeling in a good place regarding training for Stratford marathon - 15 lsr done this week all at top end of aerobic effort,  very flat course, pace was better than expected kept HR at the correct BPM.

p.s. WV - seems like Bruce's turned us down due to length of contract.

• Options

Morning all

Well just 5 to do today there be on the treadmill in the living room as  i am currently breaking in a new pair of running shoes there exactly the same make as the old ones but i thought i keep these just for races

W/V well done to you so pleased that we could help

Jess thanks for the link we now cancelled our hotel in Newcastle and book one in Morpeth as it was cheaper for 3 nights than it was for 2 in Newcastle we haven’t decided yet how we’re going to get to the start yet i may catch the train in

waves to everyone else

• Options

Wow - what a lot has been going on! Sorry I've not posted, but we were away doing some 'high altitude cross training' last week image Don't like to announce online that we're all going to be away beforehand.

Read back through last night - but there was so much news I had to go to bed before I could reply.

So - briefcomments on the news that I remember...

Great racing Water Vole, and Foxy image And welcome to the dark side, Foxy!

Sal - great PB imageimageimageimageimage and wayhay to being nominated for parkrunner of the monthimage

Toby - great long runs - know that hill well, we were driving along it late Saturday night!

Mel - great  to see you out running regularly again

Jess - busy times - amazed you can squeeze running in as well!

AH - glad to see you're pressing on with your training (again!)  Great that you can run hard and still keep HR  at a good level!

Susie - congrats on getting a place at the GNR - BIG race!!!!

And hello if I've missed anyone out (and sorry!)

Had a great week away, very cold at first, then very sunny. Kids tried snowboarding (like Mr B&T). Daughter had to give up after 3 days due to extremely sore backside (bless!) and switched back to skiing instead. Son did really well, and was looking like a real dude by the end of week. Even managed to skip one of the 'badges' from the ski school, and came home with a bronze Boarder badge. image I skiied, and my calf didn't bother me at all image Just felt like I twisted my leg a little on Thursday...

Got home late late Saturday night , and popped out for a little 2.5M run last night. Started out at sunset - very beautiful, but was daRk by the time I got back - needed a Foxy-style headtorch! Sadly though, my shin / calf is sore again now - could feel it slightly as I ran, but sore again last night and today. So feel a bit like crying TBH  I'm goign to call a friend of mine and find out which physio she recommends locally, and get an appointment booked ASAP as this can't go on.

So if I don't post for a while, I've not gone away, I'm just sulking image

• Options
    B&T sounds like you had a good time well done to master B&T hope thr shin/calf get sorted
  • Options

Now, Black and Tabby...... < puts arm round her and hugs>.... you mustnt sulk, and you must stay with us. Well, actually, I think I would be sulking. I wont say it may settle down, as I dont know your injury history (we all have one dont we, as long as our arm!), but hope a physio can help you out. Normally, Ive found them good, but you have to find the best one, and word o'mouth is usually the best way.

Anotherhill... phew with Bruce... who else..... shame Warnock has gone to Leeds (she says lying though her teeth)......

I can safely vouch for Slowsal when she says Bramhall is a hilly Parkrun... it blumin' well is! There are no easy flat bits..... Mind you, eyeballs-out-5ks arent exactly easy are they no matter the course!. Certainly its difficult to get constant pace, which I think you need for a speedy 5k. And trying to get up a hill when your heart is about to explode is not easy.

Must add a minute on Im guessing for someone of my speed.... ie 28.30 at MK, 29.30 at Bramhall. It can also be muddy and also the paths are narrow. MK is on paths, and wide, Black Park is muddy but wider. Out of the 3 courses Ive done, Bram is definitely the hardest.

Blimey.... Foxy..... surprised you have any legs left..... eat plenty of cake, that usually works for heavy legs

• Options

Thanks Toby & Watervole (and for the hugs - I'm a sucker for hugs, although they do tend to make me cry!)

Just booked a physio appointment for tomorrow morning - so at least I should know for sure what the problem is and how to resolve it. never been to a physio before ... never actually had a proper injury before, well, nothing that hasn't been fixed by some rest or new shoes!

Will update you on what happens tomorrow - now to take ace snowboarding dude for haircut & lunch before he goes back to school tomorrow image

• Options

Hi all

WV,great time.imageSo pleased for you and done on limited training makes it even more impressiveimage

FL,wow the running camp sounds great and all those miles,you will breeze round Brighton and probably have time for a quick paddle tooimage

AH,Roy Keane?Hasnt done too much as a manager has he?

B+T,sounds like you had a great time but so sorry the shin is still not right.hope physio can help.good to let him/her take a look at your shoes as sometimes they can spot something from tread wear.more hugs coming your wayimage

toby,on the GNR website there are details about getting a transfer from hotel to start line.we are staying near middlesborough and have book a transfer to and from the race.It also takes supporters onto the finish line

jess,thanks for link but got sorted.Hotel(b+b) for 4 plus coach transfers all booked,cost £200 but thats for all 4 of us so not too bad.grr my aunt was living in Durham last yearimage so looking forward to itimage

Did parkrun on Sat, 32.32 a pb imagewhich I was really pleased about as only 7 runners out of 70 recorded a pb as was so muddy

Yesterday 12 miles,first 6 miles done all between 10.14 m/m and 10.42 m/m then slowed a little but no miles slower than 12.2 m/m.

have a good day,house really quiet as HLs back at school,miss them a bitimage

• Options

Thanks Susie, hhmmm..less training... does put the pressure on to do better for my 10k and 10 miler in the next 2 months. Yesterday, I coasted through the first 9 miles, but at mile 9, it was like someone had put a spanner in the cruise button, and it was really hard work, pace dropped and leg were heavy.

But Sturdy Old Vole didnt stop running. The last mile was really really hard. Glad to get to the end, but the first 9 miles felt like I thought I could keep going for ever. Any tips to keep that "cruising" feeling rather than the "let me rest on the side of the road" feeling?

Poor old Anotherhill.... Steve Bruce.... Roy Keane .... whatever next.... Adie Boothroyd.... Ian Dowie.....

• Options

B&T- glad the skiing was good, I hear VERY cold; didn't miss it I'm afraid and it will bugger up your running for a bit.  My lot will be going without me again next year, which is just as well since HL1 was wearing all my gear!

re the calf- how about getting some compression socks- you can get running ones and recovery runs (or suspect cheaper for recovery, you could try flight socks) I wore them when I had a calf injury.  You can also get calf guards which are apparently amazing Try 2XU site.  I am now a mine of running information!

You would love the course, should do one.

WV- the last mile of WHM is a killer; i remember struggling with it last year, desperate to get my sub 2 on deadlegs.

Susiebe- great parkrun PB especially if muddy. Apparently my legs will be in PB form in 2 weeks so I'm hoping for a frosty parkrun then!!

Desperately hungry today- not sure if it's because I was so spoilt foodwise at the weekend or my body desperate to fuel the repairs!  I know all about what's happening in my muscles now.....

Actually I've been googling coaching courses......;-)

• Options

... youre just a pig, Foxy, thats all.... (hhmmm black kettle calling there, better shut up)

Just got back from swmming. I was walking past a reflective window when I discovered that I was walking just like Hercule Poirot.... quads a bit sore!! Felt a lot better for a swim.

Yes, Im with you re the compression socks.... Im a meanie Water Vole, and, just as a precaution, I wear football socks in the winter... keeps my calfs (calves?) really toasty. Get cheap-as-chips ones from JJB. They are quite tight so keep everything together.