Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options

B&T - the 'go faster' haircut worked - managed 5.5mls yesterday at 10:28mm pace. Well done re 11 miler. Figured 'life' had been getting in the way lately with no posts here from you or recent blogs.

Toby - had a chuckle at your story about the not very attentive chap. He'd better open his eyes a bit more next time.

As mentioned earlier, planning a 10ml run tomorrow and will need to get out early. Mrs Wm's sons are coming for lunch (belated birthday lunch). So I'll need to have run, recovered, showered and then have the energy left to help get the house ready for when they arrive.

• Options

Toby - thats' so funny!

Mel - yes, all very busy here which is good in many ways but bad in some others. Glad the haircut worked and good luck on Saturday! I've got an early start - have to drop son off at 8.15am (on a Saturday morning!!!!) so if I'm feeling keen I might go and do parkrun afterwards. If not I'll go back home and back to bed! image Well - we are still celebrating Mr B&Ts birthday - I have homemade pizza on the menu for tonight and a bottle of Prosecco in the fridge!

Very relieved I could still walk today - I was wondering if yesterday's 11 miles might have killed off my legs...

• Options

Afternoon all

well went for a let’s see how far my legs will take me run today set myself a maximum distance and set of deliberately kept the pace down trying to run in the 9 to 10m/m pace range had to stop in a couple of shops on the way round for cold water as it was really warm out there today but in the end just managed 22 which was the max I’d set myself was struggling towards the end though

The whole run took 3:33:03 and achieved what i set out to do as the Avg pace was 9:33 had a lovely hot soak in the bath and am now on the settee seizing up nicely

• Options

Glad to hear about your run Toby - not so pleased about the seizing up! And you say you couldn't train for an ultra ... I think otherwise!

• Options

Here here B&T , that's what I say to that ,Toby should do an ultra, now we just have to decide what one and then go for it eh Toby ??? 

• Options

Preferably one that’s only 26.2 miles and all down hillimageimage

• Options

Well Loch Ness marathon is downhill(overall) I wonder if they do an Ultra length as well?!

• Options

Toby 26:2 is only a marathon,you've run enough of those to know that !!! I was thinking an ultra where you don't have to use map reading skills to , or even a nice two day one where you just rough it over night in a tent !!! image

• Options

well I ran 10 miles this morning, 1:57, so pretty slowly. The niggly achilles (both of themimage) held up ok, although they do slow me down somewhat - so it looks like I'll actually be doing the Royal Parks Half in 2 weeks time... gulp! Remind me never to sign up for a charity race again - or not for a long time anyway image

• Options

spen on the Brighton thread has done a 70 mile ultra a couple of times run around a 10 mile loop

• Options

EM-68 good luck with the half but remember the main thing is to enjoy it

• Options

Hi everyone,

B&T - I managed my 10ml run on Saturday. After running early, helping get ready for visitors, being a good grand-dad all afternoon and entertaining the grand-kids while Mum & Dad had a break and then clearing up afterwards, I was zonked and slept for 9hrs!

Toby - well done re 22miler. Hope the hot bath helped and your legs didn't seize up.

Yvonne - the ultra I would consider would be the Thames Path one .. mostly flat and (mostly!) no map-reading skills required .. just don't fall in!

Em68 - well done re 10 miler. Sorry about niggle in achilles. Definitely achilles? Don't know if you remember but I had problem in same area - turned out to be soleus muscle (at base of calf) and physio showed me stretch to do to recover and make it less prone to injury.

Went out and did my default 3.25ml route around town last night. For those of you also on Fetcheveryone - I see from Fetchpoint I've collected 4 Gore-rillas this month and you need 5 to get into the prize draw. Am tempted to repeat the same route tonight as there are two more Gore-rillas waiting to be snaffled up.

Regardless of any more midweek runs, will repeat the same 10ml route again this coming weekend - that will be my last long run before my race on 12th October.

• Options

Um I got home today to find a "your in" magazine on my mat !!! 

I guess that means I'll be marathon training this winter ,after all, just got to explain it to my daughter,cos I said I won't run any spring marathons in April,cos of winter training as I wanted to be a very hands on grand ma with baby, which is now 10 days over its due date....induction tomorrow...

I'm still in shock!!! 

• Options

Yvonne - congratulations again!! You can defer your VLM place until next year, at anytime right upto the day before, so that might be an option if you find Grandma duties are restricting your running time (I can think of few lovelier reasons to have to defer a marathon place!)

Good luck to your daughter for tomorrow - and to the Chief Back Rubber as well!

Cricklade half on Sunday - sneaked in an extra long run of 11 miles the other day, so that will have to do!

Waves to all

• Options

My daughter got a yes mag as well I'm still waiting to hear

B&T good luck for Sunday

• Options

it was another No mag for me again this year ho hum try again next yearimage

• Options

Was going to do another long run today but still a little deflated about London but will go out with Snowmaiden to do the 8 miles she has to do and see how i feel when I’m out

• Options

four in a row image

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Yvonne - blimey, that was a turn up getting a 'Yes' magazine. Another running friend of mine has got in - her comment was "Oh FFS - just when I'd decided not to run the VLM next year!!"image

B&T - good luck with Cricklade HM on Sunday.

Toby - sorry to hear you got a 'No' but congrats to Snowmaiden. Will you still train with her over the Winter?

I didn't bother going out again on Tue evening to catch my last Gore-rilla for September. But I did go out on Wed evening and thanks to map-checking before and judicious route planning, caught 4 Gore-rillas towards my October total.

Off for my last 10ml run this weekend before my race on Sun 12th. I see its going to be raining hard tomorrow. In two minds whether to run on Sunday or go out tomorrow anyway. Because it may well be raining hard on race day like last year when I fell over in the mud!

• Options

Afternoon all

Well just did the 8 miles today hip was playing up and wasn’t really up for it

Other than today have stuck to the training plan did 15 miles Monday gym session with weights Tuesday 10 miles Wednesday 5 miles with WII Fit session Thursday and 8 miles today

• Options

Very last minute Cricklade question, if Toby or Yvonne see this! (I think Yvonne must be busy though image) I've posted in the Events section but maybe you'll see it here.

Last minute trying to get organised for the Cricklade half tomorrow. reading through the info I can't see if there's a bag drop at / near the start. I'm thinking it will be chilly first thing tomorrow and I'm hoping after I've walked from wherever I've parked my car and got my number and chip, I'd like to drop my jacket without having to go back to the car.

Oh, and I've got the map from the organisers - is there any of the recommended parking that is better? Closer? Or any you'd avoid?

Thanks

• Options
    Evening all,

Congrats those that got into London, I had the sorry mag but not concerned got other targets.

Mel - sounds like your busy catching gorerillas, well done.

B&T - hope it went well today.

Toby - some good mileage & wise to rest your hip.

meself just been swimming, biking and running. Running wise just twice a week at moment but slowly getting better.
  • Options

Sorry B&T I've only just seen your message and your right ,I was busy ...Hope cricklade was ok at least it was dry and sunny,unlike today as I've opened the curtains ...

Pleased to announce I'm a grandma ,I have a grandson, he made a an entrance into the world at 9:30am yesterday, weighing 7lb 13oz ....birth plan didn't go according to plan, as my daughter and baby were taken for an emergency caesaraian for him to be delivered, one min I was watching my daughter in pain of labour, she had to be induced, her waters then broke but her body wasn't dilating quick enough so they put her on a drip, which increased the contractions and severity, she then had an epidural which in hindsight of what happened next was a good move!! The epidural kicked in and she could relax a little and cope without gas and air, but her cervix still wasn't dilating, and baby was getting mighty distressed on each contraction, so we go from 2 midwives to 7 people in the room including the anaesthesia man and I stayed calm as did Mel although later she said inside she was shitting a brick !! So epidural was topped up so she was able to stay awake and her partner was with her , baby was delivered his cord was around his neck and body which is why he was getting distressed as well as the gates not opening properly as it were , Mel lost quite a bit of blood and her blood pressure dropped lots apparently I heard later , but they both made it he is lush, Mel is very sore bless her and it's not the start to being a mother she had in mind but she is coping well and feeding baby herself at the moment image

• Options

Ah Yvonne - I was hoping that was why we'd not seen you. Sorry to hear your daughter had such a hard time of it but lovely to hear you're now a grandma! Congrats to all the family.

Toby & Mel - waves hello. mel hoe you're tapering now for the Ridgeway race (it is next weekend, isn't it?)

And Em - ditto to you - taper now for next week image

CW - it went very well yesterday, thank you! Despite my last minute panics I managed topark (furthest car park away though, but never mind) and I managed to leave my jacket.

Race went brilliantly - it's a great course, very flat but still interesting. A little off putting when the 10K runners, who were set off after us Hm runners, all shot past us (but nice because I got to see my friend who was doing the 10K!) The roads were quite busy, with cyclists as well as cars (and tractors!) which would be off putting if you've only ever raced on closed roads before. the water stations were somewhat randomly placed. I think I saw them at 1.5M, 5.5M, 7.5M, 10.5M and then 11.5M. 

I couldn't find the last two almost-in-date gels as i was leaving on Sunday morning so I had to grab a bag of veggie 'Percy Pigs' and hope they would do. They were a bit tricky to chew up quickly just before the water stations, but seemed to do the trick. I did feel tired around mile 9 and had to really push myself to keep the pace up. Usually I would have a gel at about mile 8 so I wonder if i was missing that?

I was mentally aiming to keep around or preferably below 10 minute miles, and the first couple of miles were at 9:29 then 9:40, 9:42 I was worried I was going too fast but it felt comfortable and my HR was still in the low 70% so I stopped worrying.

To cut to the chase,

/members/images/502743/Gallery/HMPB.png

yay!!!!!!image

I'm even feeling okay today - surprising not too stiff or sore. Just need to decide if I want to enter the Marshfield Mudlark next Sunday. It'smuddy and hilly but I've done it for the last few years and it's a lovely race. However last year we had to run through a field of frisky bulls and it was rather scary.....!

• Options

Afternoon all

well cut the run short today did 12 miles but after getting caught in a second torrential down pour left me squelching in my running shoes decided enough was enough

Yvonne congratulation on the birth of your Grandson sorry to hear your daughter had a bad time of it but pleased to read that both are all ok

B&T well done on the new PB Cricklade is a love flat course and it’s also were i set my PB as well

• Options
    Two big congrats to Yvonne and B&T.

Over 3 mins off well done.
  • Options

Afternoon all

Well 10 miles for me today a lot drier than yesterday but we definitely said goodbye to the shorts and running vest weather though it did get quite warm at times when the sun poked it's head out from behind the clouds