Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options

good idea to take it easy, Toby.

I've only had one run since the HM, using a cross-trainer instead to try to get over injury. I fancy a run, but am resisting - it would have seemed mad a year ago, but I'm finding it very hard to rest.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

CW - watching videos about technique is the easy bit but putting it into practise is a different matter.

Toby - well done re last week's 10ml run and good that rain stayed away. Sorry to hear about hip problem and lost mojo - hope you find it again soon. But see you did another 10ml run yesterday so maybe it's back already?

Em - I'm lucky with my race that my family enjoy watching me and it's easy for them to pop up at 3mls, 6mls and the finish to cheer me on and take photos. Shame Jon (other half?) kept missing you. He had better take up running as well before the next one or get a bike!  

B&T - saw on your blog how 'proud' you were to get muddy legs! image

*waves* to Yvonne (who is presumably busy on grannie duties)

I also chat on a 'Mature' thread where I'm (gasp!) a young 'un. An ex-coach on there mentioned about lifting knees and kicking back heels to increase stride length and pace and avoid 'old man shuffle'. I tried that during 3ml treadie run on Thu. Ended up averaging 9:27 pace (instead of usual 10:50 pace). So it definitely works but I was knackered afterwards! image I went out on Sunday and did just over 7mls - was at a much more sedate 10:40 paceimage

• Options

Morning all

well 13 miles for me yesterday but in hindsight wish I’d stuck to my original plan just to 10 as by the time i finished my legs felt like they had to lead weights tied to them and were about to drop off not one of my finest runs the weather wasn’t too bad it was warm when the sun was out

The wind wasn’t too bad it did get a little difficult to run into at times

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Toby - well done re 13 miler and for keeping going those extra miles.

I was working from home today. So I went out at 6:45am (before breakfast!) and did 3mls. I also tried avoiding 'old man shuffle' and pace was around 10:00mm instead of usual 10:45mm. Just saying .. image

• Options
    Evening all,

Toby - yet again good mileage

EM - very wise to rest up difficult I know but sensible.

Not done any running for a week and a bit, plenty of cycling and swimming done though.

May go for a run tomorrow and just keep thinking of avoiding the old mans shuffle.

Take care all
  • Options

Evening all, I have been coming on and reading about what everyone is doing, and all is good with your running, well done on your races wtn Mel and b&t and em 68 ...

Looking forward to a visit from toby and poohbear this coming Saturday as we are running the race of terror in Swindon somewhere , still don't know where as we've not had an e mail on location !!! 

I'm still running with the boys of a morning, trying to find a marathon plan butt to be honest I may just do my long run as usual on a Saturday morning and do three other runs during the week but concentrate on a mid week long run too of 10 plus miles maybe first thing in the morning, I may ask Santa for an early Christmas pressie of a head torch, so then I could still take the boys extra early in the dark round the field !! That would leave two evening training runs of hills and tempo ....

I'm loving being a grandma , I've seen him for a kiss and cuddle everyday except for 2 days , one I did my  abseil the other my daughter and son in law had a funeral in Worcester to attend , but he is the most gorgeous adorable little boy ...and I'm not bias in any way , how do you upload photo from Facebook to here ?? Then I could post a pic and you could see for yourselves how adorable he is image 

Another one arriving after the 17th November too, by caesaraian again, not an emergency like my daughter's though , gemma , my daughter in law, has chosen said caesaraian cos that naughty baby is breach and ain't turning, ....no idea of the sex again which I like , another surprise but I'm hoping for a girl then I've got one of each in the grandchildren stakes ,, 

• Options

Morning all

Did a 3 mile run yesterday and then an hour of yoga and aerobic exercises on the Wii fit will just do 8 tomorrow as i have to be some were by 1.30 pm after this week I'm hoping to something a little longer on a Friday

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

CW - plenty of swimming/cycling going on I see - must be difficult to fit in all three disciplines (I sometimes struggle just with running)

(Grandma) Yvonne - glad to hear all's well with the baby. And another on the way too eh? Re head torch - I got a cheap one from the garage where I fill up last year (£7.50). Not used it since last Winter but switched it on Wed morning thinking I might need it and it still worked. Re uploading photos - in facebook, right-click and save to your computer. Then on here, click on the little picture of a tree when you write a message and insert the photo from where you saved it. Hope that helps.

Toby - hope you manage that longer run tomorrow.

I didn't get out last night. We had a priroty 1 problem to deal with then I got stuck in traffic afterwards - didn't get home until 7:15pm.

I plan to go for a run tomorrow morning and will try to do 7-10mls (will see how I feel and change my route accordingly). We have Mrs Wm's sister and husband visiting us on Sunday so will no doubt be having an extended lunch.

• Options

well the 8 yesterday never happened did get out for a short 3 mile run today looks like the run with Yvonne not happening as it looks like it was a con as no one can get hold of the chap organizing it it's now been referred to the police

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Toby - that's a surprise about the Halloween run being a scam! image At least you got out for 3mls even if it wasn't the 8mls you had planned.

My run didn't happen this morning. Mrs Wm needed taking to the hospital eye clinic as she has the start of a bout of eyeritis. So my LSR was dropped in favour of that and I've been cross-training this afternoon mowing the lawn (last of the year?), sweeping up leaves and filling the green bin.

Mrs Wm's sister and husband won't be arriving until 11:00 at the earliest tomorrow. I'm on earlies at work next week (5am starts) so will forgoe any Sunday lie-in for a 7am start, will hope to be running by 8am and then should be back home and showered and changed before the visitors arrive. That's the plan anyway!

• Options
    Hi all,

Yvonne - good to hear that grandchild is doing well.

Toby- Awful about the race being a con, hope the police can get hold of him.

Mel - hope you got your run in today, not so bad getting up earlier today having the extra hour. Your right about finding time, with family stuff and work had a fair week last week though.

So last weeks training - 2 hrs swimming (2 sessions), bike 6 hrs (4 sessions). Run 2.5 hrs (2 sessions) a bit unbalanced but have to take advantage of light and weather for the bike.Take care all.
  • Options

Afternoon all

Well 15 miles for me today what a difference a week makes felt a lot easier today

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

CW - yes, I did get my run in (see below). Am impressed with all that training you managed to squeeze in last week.

Toby - well done re 15 miler.

Like Toby, my run was easier this weekend. I got up at 6:45am and was out of the door at 8:15am. It didn't look cold so I wore shorts and a t-shirt/running vest. I did my 10ml route and it was much easier than my last long run. In fact, with lifting my knees and kicking back a bit and avoiding 'old man shuffle', my time was about 5 mins quicker than last time (10:24mm pace). One funny thing - there was some event going on in Cirencester Park and a guy was tying a ribbon across one of the roads I use. As I veered around him I joked about running straight on and breaking his tape. Thankfully, he saw the funny side of it.

• Options

Mel glad to read your run was also easier i see your home town was on the news again tonight

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Toby - was it? I hardly ever see the local news so missed that. Was it about the proposed development of 2500 houses on farmland? We back onto that land and its the stress of that been causing Mrs Wm's eyeritis.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Just back from a 4.5ml run. I'm classing it as a 'tempo' run as I averaged 10.05mm over the whole route (usual pace is nearer to 10:45mm) and was doing 9:00mm pace over the last half mile. So, as you can imagine, I was very pleased with that image

• Options

Mel - I can imagine how pleased you are with that pace! And well done for getting up so earl!

Toby - glad your 15 miles felt better

CW - good training. Getting the cycling in whilst the weather is good is imperitive!

Yvonne - awwww! You sound so happy! Glad the new family is doing well.

Was supposed to be an easy 3 miles this morning, but I gave blood last night and my legs felt really heavy (think they took a legful rather than an armful!) Ah well, it happens every time I give blood - only lasts a week or so, so I'll just plod on until it feel sbetter!

Em - Hi! Hope you're doing well.

Waving just in case amyone else pops in

• Options

Mel with the end of the Afghanistan they were reviewing the part your home town played in turning out whenever a solider body was retuned

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

B&T - that pace took me right back to the Swindon 10K and my sub-60min PB. Yep - I tried running once the day after giving blood - didn't work for me either.

Toby - sorry for my confusion. I have a house in Royal Wootton Bassett but live in Cirencester. Yes - I remember the repatriation ceremonies. And to think they all started with a couple of British Legion members who wanted to stand by the memorial in the High Street and show their respects when a hearse drove through town.

Planning to run again tomorrow after work - will see if I can match Tue's pace! image

*waves* to Em, Yvonne & CW

• Options

Morning all

Did a small 3 mile run Tuesday followed by an hour on the Wii fit mainly yoga exercise and aerobic exercises yesterday was a 10 miles run hopefully today will be another short 3 mile run then an hour on the Wii fit

• Options

Just had a lush full body sports massage .....now I'm ready to tackle the world ....

Gearing up for sodbury slog in two weeks time, my first venture into proper trail off road lots of mud running, can't wait, then I guess it's trying to find a plan that will introduce speed into my legs for the Brighton 10 km( pb  for a 10km is 52 mins) would like to get as near to 45 mins as possible .... but also need to run long cos of London two weeks later....

Waves to everyone 

• Options

Afternoon all

just went out for a run till I’ve had enough run today managed 15 so happy with that did the short 3 mile run yesterday but only did the yoga exercises on the Wii fit yesterday

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Yvonne - reminds me - haven't had a massage for a-g-e-s image Hope preparations continue to go well for Sodbury Slog. Was watching a programme earlier about a marathon/half marathon called "Beauty & The Beast" - multi-lap race includes a 'beast' of a hill and participants claimed it was harder than Tough Mudder races. My PB for 10k was 59.55 (at last November's Swindon 10K) - doubt I could manage that pace for 10k at the moment. But having got below 60 mins, next obvious target for me would be 55 mins.

Toby - well done re recent runs including 15miler.

I went out this morning - was hoping to do 10ml route again but legs didn't have it in them so peeled off at 4ml point and took short route home for 7.25ml run. Pace was 10:32mm so speed wasn't issue, just distance (I blame having been on earlies last week and disturbed  sleep last night).

• Options

Hello all

Glad to see everyone is doing well. A massage sounds like a wonderful idea after staggering about like frankenstein for a couple of weeks. Will have to find somewhere.

52 and 59.55 for 10k sound pretty good to me. Under an hour is my goal, but I did a 10k race this morning, the Bonfire Burn in cambs in 1:05. It starts near my office and I saw the sign for it last year and was the reason I took up running in the first place - I really never thought I'd be able to do it. I did a 10.20-10.40 pace over the whole distance, which I was quite happy with considering that I hadn't really trained for a while - it was fun to overtake the people who'd shot off too quickly!. So more cross-training and a gradual build up again for me to a 10-miler in December image

• Options

Morning all

well managed 15 yesterday so I'm beginning to build a good base mileage wise for Brighton will do short 3 mile run today then 30 minutes of yoga exercises on the Wii Fit today

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Em - nice to hear from you. My previous Pb for 10K had been 63 mins (ran at Corsham with B&T). I was watching the clock all the way round at Swindon 10K. I got to 9k and knew I was in with a chance of under an hour so just went for it! Yep - I also enjoy overtaking the 'speedy gonzales' types who set off too fast early on image

Toby - well done re 15 miler

I won't be running for a few days. I have a stiff neck & shoulders from some rather over-enthusiastic leaf sweeping and raking at the weekend. Don't want to aggravate anything so will take a few days off running. But will then get back to 3x runs per week and try and continue doing 10ml LSR's at the weekend so I have a good base for Bath in Mar 2015.

• Options

Morning all

Just did an hour on the Wii Fit yesterday 30 minutes of yoga exercises and 30 minutes of muscle strengthening exercises have to say hurt in places i never hurt in when i go out for run after I'd finished

i might not do bath next year as Longleat were advertising a haft marathon and for the prices of one entry to bath both me and Poohbear could enter Longleat

• Options

Morning all!

Brr it's got colder, hasn't it!!image Freezing hands yesterday mornng on my run (hills), but i was fine on Monday's run (nn-descript medium length run at a reasonable pace). I'll fit another run in this week, same next week then I've got the first of the series of 4 trail 10K races around the Bath skyline. There'sa one a month, look beautiful and most importantly great medals!

Toby - good cross training there. I should start working on my core again (as I can feel myself hunching over as I run) but I hate it and it hurts!!!

Mel - mind your neck and shoulders!!  Still a few more leaves to come down yet! If yuo can keep up 10M long runs you'll have a brilliant base for Bath image

Em - well done on your race. It's fantastic to actually run something that you've seen in previous years, isn't it? Keeping a steady pacethroughout is very disciplined and it's so rewarding when you pass people towards the end of the raceimage Is the 10 miler another race?

Yvonne - Sodbury Slog is getting closer - no worries about any lack of mud after all this rain lately image can't wait to see how you do! Sounds like you're going to run London?? Give your grandson a cuddle (and a sneaky sniff of the top of his head!) from me.

CW - not so easy on the bike with all this wet weather! Mr B&T discovered Spin classes last year as a way to keep his legs turning throughout the winter. He has found them really useful, so worth a look if you're struggling to get out.

Right - work! 

• Options
    Evening all,

Some great training going on.

Em - great race I'm sure a sub 60 is not far away.

BT - I've got a turbo trainer for those dangerous days and dark nights hard to do over an hour on it though, but great for speed training. Sounds like some nice 10k races.

Well after a long time of biking and a bit of swimming, with the darker nights training will be more running and swimming focused. Monday swam, Tuesday easy 5 mile run and tonight a 10 mile run swim tomorrow & run Friday won't be doing much over the weekend wife's b'day.
  • Options

bbbbrrrrr it's cold this morning, had to scrape ice off the car for the first time this autumn.

Well done on the 15 miles Toby

and look after yourself Mel - that leaf raking action always makes me ache like crazy.

Sounds like you deserve a weekend off after all that CW!

I'm going to run home from work today, been doing so much overtime haven't had a chance to go out since Sunday, which is annoying. The 10 miler is a race, only a little one with 350 participants - just some winter training incentive more than anything else.