Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options

Wise maybe, Yvonne, but it feels like sensible and boring at the moment! never mind - Cricklade next month!

• Options

morning all

13 miles for me today lovely morning for a run

Well the GNR went ok i ran with Poohbear we got round in 2hr 48min not her quickest but there were so many people it was impossible to get going the weather was lovely on the day of the race may be a bit too hot the crowed was amazing and it was like and all you could eat buffet with the things the people were handing out we were about 600 yards from the finish when the fireworks went off to celebrate the 1 million finisher crossing the line

We went to the pasta party on Saturday and then watched the city games in the afternoon   weather wise it was nice during the day and the rained at night the drive was the only down side it took us nearly 8 hours to get up there but we did stop at Vindolanda which is an exuviated Roman fort 

the drive back wasn’t much sorter as we had to come back via Leicester as we had to pick up our son and Snowmaiden and one of their friends as they had been up there for an event if i ever did it again i think I’d split the journey up and stop half way up and stay overnight some were

• Options

Toby - well done! I was thinking of you & Poohbear on Sunday! I gather from others it was hot and crowded, but a big event like that is always going to be busy. Long drive up & home again though - hope you're feeling recovered now.

I sulked quite a lot on Sunday about not running Chippenham, then got out for a run yesterday. 8 miles, which isn't enormous but is the longest I've run for ages. It was hot but it felt okay, so hopefully I've enough time to build up for Cricklade now.

Waves hello to everyone else!

• Options

B&T lets just say i slept well last night

• Options

Congratulations toby to you and poohbear, I watched it on the tv and it reminded me of London hot and crowded!! Even though it's the biggest half in the country,rather you than me travelling all that way to do it!! Not sure I would, even just to tick it off my to do list ,travel that far ,for a race !! Well done to you both again ...

Talking of London the result of the ballot is soon and those magazines come through the letterbox, I hope your successful toby ,even though it was hot and very crowded for my liking ,I'd like to do it again image....

I'm on ,becoming a grand ma countdown, daughter had less than two weeks to go, so I've got my bag packed!! Money for food from the lovely hospital canteen which is very good ,( in between contractions of course) drinks,wipes, spare clothes, red bull!!! Got to keep energy levels up to give her the support she needs,I'm chief back rubber,in her words "si ( her partner) is useless at rubbing my back"

Running wise,got a plan for the slog under way, week two started monday, a few recovery runs along with a long run and a hill or speed session or a mix of both as the slog is very hilly ....Wednesday's sees a double run, as I run with the boys as I do every morning but as it's hill/speed session and I do that in the afternoons when my body is more awake!!  Last week was a 34 mile week !! Woop woop not bad for a 9 mile race !! 

Waves to all 

• Options

Yvonnehope everything goes well with the births by the way had an email for the Brighton marathon team

2015 BM10k Entries Open Next Week!

The 2015 BM10k entries open on Monday 16th September. There will be a limited number of EARLY BIRD entries available at just £25, so be sure to secure your place ahead of the rest.

Last year was a huge success for the BM10k inaugural event and we had some excellent feedback from those who took part. It is undoubtedly now one of the UK's best 10k events. We hope you join us for the second edition which is sure to be even bigger and better!

• Options

Ooops - 10 days - hadn't realised it was t-h-a-t long since I last posted here image

Yvonne - not sure about the 5K on 25th Oct. Currently trying to arrange to go out for a meal with one of my old work-mates and his partner and that was one of the dates I suggested. I see you're all ready for the baby. Glad to hear training for Sodbury Slog is progressing well.

B&T - glad to hear nooo shoes to replace broken ones are working out okay. Based on past experience (good for 400-500mls), current mileage (280mls) and the amount of training I'll need to do over the Winter for the Bath Half, I need to get on and order some new shoes myself and get them 'worn in' before race day on 1st Mar. Shame about missing Chippenham but Cricklade should be a suitable alternative.

Toby - glad to hear GNR went okay but have heard others complain about how busy it gets there. As you say, shame about the long drive to get there and back.

I'm still managing to build up my LSR distance for my race on Oct 12th and did 9 miles last Saturday. I've been out twice this week - did 5mls on Mon and 4mls (with hills!) on Wed. I'm planning to do the same route tomorrow as last weekend and if I'm feeling up to it, will add on an extra bit (with more hills) to make it 10mls. If that works out okay I'll repeat the 10ml route three more times before the race itself.

• Options

Mel - sounds like training is going well!

Yvonne - so exciting being on Grandma countdown!! Lovely that your daughter wants you there with her as well image

Busy week here, but I made it out for 3 runs. 8 miles on Monday, 4 quick miles on Wednesday and then 3 hilly miles today. I spent all day yesterday being an 'extra' again (they're filming in our village again) - i don't know if 5 hours spent holding a cake counts as cross training??? (I don't know if anyone has read Agatha Raisin, kind of a modern, funny, murder detective story). In a fit of enthusiasm (and in a bid to earn some money!)  Im also 'extra-ing' 3 days next week, but this is for 'Cider with Rosie' up near Stroud. I've had a new haircut for it which is great, but long days mean I don't know when I'll get out for a run. Hmmmm! maybe I could run around the field whilst I'm waiting, dressed in 1920's gear, heels and big hat!

• Options

Morning all

No running for me this weekend will be out tomorrow hopefully for a 13 mile run that a base run for me at the moment the plan is at this time to try and increase to 15 over the next couple months but it really depends on the time it takes me to run it as i have to be off to work by 2.30

Shan’t do too much running after Wednesday as i have the Bristol half next Sunday so will be resting up I’m going to have  pop at my PB but with the way the training runs are going at the moment I ‘be lucky to get sub 1:55:00

Mel sounds like the running going really well at the moment

• Options
    Hi all,

Good luck for Bristol Toby.

Yvonne - hope the new arrival behaves itself without any glitches.

Mel - Sounds like training going well for you.

B&T - A film star amongst us. Cycling gear far to much of it.

Meself - training going well 40+ mile bike ride yesterday and a 10 mile run this morning heart rate starting to fall so must either be getting cooler or fitter I will take the fitter.
  • Options

Afternoon all

Well the 13 turned into 15miles for me today i woke up early so was out the door by 9.00am didn't fancy venturing to far from home so i ran my 2 and 3 miles loops pleased with the time of 2:18:09 as comparing it to a 15 miles run i did when training for Bristol last year as it's only about a minute slower and it’s the first time I’ve run that far since Brighton

• Options

B&T - getting to be a regular in front of the cameras just lately aren't you image

CW - glad to hear training still going well

Toby - good training run from you (as always!).

I managed 10miles on Saturday morning. I had a bit of a sore throat and that has since morphed into a cold lurgy - so no more running from me for the next few days image

• Options

10 miles for me to day legs were suffering after the run yesterday so just took it slow plus i had one or two stops on the way round picking up some sponsorship money for someone in work and reserving a van just encase the stuff my son wants to take to uni won’t fit in the car

• Options

Toby 15 miles then a 10 mile run, seriously why don't you do an ultra, I'd like to before I'm 50 perhaps we should decide on what one to do and enter together...Just an idea??? 50 miles what do you think?? Or go full pelt for a 100km one which I think is around 66 miles!!! 

Entered brighton 10 km this morning,early bird price of £25 .....would so love a 45 min 10km time so speed training and hills and leg and core strength for me over the winter along with some half marathons me thinks will have to plan the ones I can do on the Sundays I don't work as no holidays left as I want my last 5 days for Christmas with my grandchildren and ever growing family ....

Waves to all, as I'm at work on my kindle !!! Naughty I know 

• Options

Yvonne an ultra sound good in theory but i don’t know whether I’d have the gumption to stick to the training

• Options

Third time running  round the small field ,10 laps again this morning, on my third lap however,I was knocked over like a skittle by a whippet running at full pelt, as she  was playing with patch my dog,they were playing chase!!! Patch obviously has spacial awareness developed over the summer and knows it's not a good idea to run full pelt near mummys legs when mummy is running, unfortunately little daisy didn't know this and slammed straight into me, I put my arm out to save myself, although it's a futile exercise cos you know your going down anyway somehow landed with my arm up behind my head , and now have pain in my elbow and wrist !!! So glad I didn't break it, how heart breaking that would of been not to cuddle my grandchild upon being born !!! Anyway I led there for a minute or two just to make sure I could move everything, the owners were very apologetic,bless them I told them not to worry it was an accident and off I went to complete lap 3 and ran 7 more,.....they put her back on her lead, then I felt bad cos she couldn't run round too ....Anyway after being knocked flying it seems I run quicker was doing 8:55 pace at 7am on just a cup of tea !!! And on grass !! 

Hoping to go out again later and do a hilly 5 miles I figured the two runs today could equate to my long run in the morning, and to be honest a) I'm taking Jenny for her induction at asda for 9am, and b) I didn't fancy 20 laps of that field !!! Have to stay close to home just in case I get the come to hospital now call , don't want to miss being at the birth of my first grandchild !! Can you tell I'm excited image ?? 

Toby, next year me and you will do an ultra, you'll p#$s the training !!! With the amount your running now !! 

B&T  how's the loft conversion coming along ?? 

Wtnmel good running from you to , did you have a look at that kinetic thing??? I need to get myself organised and start it !! Plus do core stuff I'm just running at moment all very well but need to mix things up ....

Waves to everyone else 

• Options

Yvonne - sorry to hear about your fall caused by that whippet. Hope your arm and wrist are okay and the pain doesn't get any worse. Yes, I signed up to the Kinetic thing and started getting the emails. But then I got this cold lurgy and wasn't doing any running or exercise. So I've deleted the emails and un-subscribed now - maybe another time.

*waves* to everyone.

The cold lurgy seems to have gone away although I'm still a bit bunged up. I'll try a run on the treadmill tomorrow to see how I get on. If I'm coughing and spluttering at least I won't have to walk a few miles home.

• Options

I did go out later,.... just got back from a hilly 6:25 miles which was 6 lots of the same road so included 18 uphills and 18 downhill ,36 lovely gradients that challenged legs and heart ...That's my long run for today .....dogs are cream crackered bless them !!! But very fit !! Yep they did come to ....

Wtnmel hope your over the worst of your cold and you start to feel better, take it steady on that tready run, if you feel like poo just stop ....

• Options

Well we had a beautiful day here for the Bristol H/M sun was out but there was a cooling breeze no PB for me today got around in 1:41:48 according to my Garmin missing out by 28 seconds but still very pleased with the result as the Avg pace per mile was 7:37m/m

splits as were all in the 7minute range going from 7:20 being the quickest and 7:54 the slowest seems i nee a few more 7:20 to get under that allusive 1:40:00 mark

• Options

just checked my Cricklade H/M time which is where i set my PB and it was actually 1:41:36 not      1:41 :14 like i thought and the chip time came up for Bristol at 1:41:39 so it even worse as i missed a PB by 4 seconds

• Options

That's a shame - great mile times though! image

• Options
    Great effort Toby. (Tougher course today?)

swam for 50 minutes without stopping, lost count with lengths but guessing around 1 mile wasn't pretty or quick but couldn't care about that. Now got some confidence for races next year, number one already sold out but have two more options. Had a small bike ride after the swim as well.
  • Options

Yvonne - well done re your hilly 6 and a bit miler. Have your dogs recovered yet? image

Toby - well done re Bristol HM result - shame on missing out on PB by a few seconds. Great time though! I'll be happy if I'm anywhere near 2h 15m when I do the Bath HM next year (am assuming training will go well over the Winter).

CW - well done re non-stop swim plus small bike ride after.

*waves* to Em-68 (and B&T and anyone else who pops by)

I seem to have shaken off the cold lurgy. Still a bit 'chesty' so tried a tentative treadmill run on Sat afternoon. Managed 4mls without any problems and didn't end up in a coughing spluttering heap afterwards.

Planning to go out for a run later and again on Thursday. Then will try a 10ml run on Saturday. My race is on Oct 12th so I'll only have the chance to do one other LSR after that. I hope I can get out on Saturday as it's the Cirencester 10k on Sunday - could do without several hundred other runners for company! image

• Options

Mel glad to hear you’ve finally beaten the coldimage

• Options

Went out yesterday and bought a new pair of running shoes I'm giving a pair of new balance a try this time so will have to see how i get on with them

• Options

*waves back at Mel*  image I'm planning on doing a 10 miler this weekend too ahead of my half marathon on 12th October... nerves building!

• Options

Toby - I was sneezing yesterday - thought cold had returned but it went away. Maybe I'm just allergic to early morningsimage I realised my current shoes will be at the end of their life by the time of the Bath Half in March. I also need to get some new shoes. I've been really pleased with my Saucony Guide 5 and am on my 2nd pair. I've not checked if you can still get them or not but will stick to Saucony (better the devil you know and all that).

Em68 - you're doing a 10 mile training run too? - we can compare notes next week then. My race on 12th Oct is just under 10mls. But it's multi-terrain and has got some big ups and downs (and mud if it's wet!). I managed it in 1h 48m 27s last year which was a PB. Obviously hoping to improve on that time this year. It was torrential rain last year and I fell over in the mud which slowed me down a bit. So naturally, hoping it will be dry this year.

On Toby's advice I contacted Garmin and sent my broken Forerunner 305 off to be repaired. Posted it off last Wednesday and the replacement arrived on Tuesday. It cost me £72 but decided to get it replaced rather than fork out for a newer model as the 305 does everything I need it to.

I did a 4ml treadmill run on Tuesday - then took Mrs WM out for a birthday meal at our local Thai restaurant.

Off out for a 5-6ml run later but before that, going to take advantage of working from home today and being on earlies. Off to get my hair cut first. Should be quieter on a weekday afternoon and shouldn't need to queue like when I do on Saturdays.

• Options

Mel - going for the "go faster" haircut? Good idea! Sounds like training's all on track for 12th.

Em68 - 10 miler this weekend is a good idea. Good luck with it!

Toby - good running - hope you get on well with the new shoes. Well done in Bristol HM - it's even worse when it's just an odd few seconds. I feel your pain!

CW - great swimming time, and a sneaky bike ride? Good stuff!

Yvonne - lots of great running from you as well - and are you still waiting for the call????

Hard 11 miles this morning for me. The route wasn't hard, I just found it hard. As ever, not enough training done. Cricklade HM on 5th so no more long runs for me, just try to get out next week to keep legs turning over.

It's all been a  bit busy here lately. Loft conversion is coming on really well, although my builder is moving house at the weekend so has been a bit distracted and keeps having to dash off to collect things / drop things off etc. I've done some more 'extra' work over the last couple of weeks. Met some interesting people, done lots of waiting around, chatting, waiting a bit more etc. It's only tiring because the days are so long!  Mr B&T had a significant birthday last weekend, so we had a house full of family which was lovely, but is always lots of work. Sigh! Oh - for his present, I had a cycling painting done for him, by our veryown Julia T - the original 'Gulp'-er!

Anyway - good to hear everyone's getting on well. Lots of "good race prep" vibes to the racersimage

• Options

Morning all

forgot to say funny thing happened when me and Poohbear were stood in millennium   square on Sunday a chap came up to us and asked if Poohbear was running we said no he then said ambushed and proceeded to give us a leaflet for southville running club and started on about how much fun they had and how they could get Poohbear ready to run a 10k in 8 months and they weren’t looking for fast runners

Well i was stood there laughing he then said look your husband’s laughing he doesn’t thing you can do it i replied no it not that but she already run the Brighton marathon twice well the look on his face he didn’t know what to say what made it funnier was Poohbear was stood there with her pink hoody on with Brighton marathon 2014 on

I said to Poohbear after he’d gone who got ambushed there then