Options

3 Runs Per Week Schedule

Comments

• Options

Yikes Tricia - please don't send it this way.  The weather is lovely here at the moment, but I'm not running till this afternoon...

Minni - nice running!  Great improvement in your pace too.  I hope you're pleased with yourself?  Re Skins - I have Linebreak ones, which were a lot less expensive and seemed to get equivalent reviews to Skins.  Buy them teeny.  Mine are a 10-12 and I'm a 12-14 and they still could have done with being a bit smaller.  I wear mine at night too.  As does my husband (his own, obviously).

Astride - an enjoyable run for the sake of running?  I'm looking forward to being able to do that again soon.

Spent yesterday with Team Lucozade and it was all about *the race*.  Blimey, its creeping up fast!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yes, pleased with my run yesterday but, boy, am I tired today, and a bit sore!  Today will be 2 walks with the dog and an hour on the side of a rugby pitch! 

Thanks for into re: linebreaks Wotsit.  I'd seen them but assumed because they're so much cheaper that they wouldn't be so good!  

Astride, similar to you I do extra runs with the dog for the same purpose.  Fresh air and time on my own.

Tricia - good luck with the race.  We had the hail in the middle of the night but its a lovey day today (but cold).

Schmid  - good luck with the 20 miles (which you're probably nearly finished now).  I have the same session planned as you on Tuesday night.

You'll never believe this - in the seconds since I put the comment about the sun here its started to snow!! British weather at its best!

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Minni - Well done with your 20 miler. I also have the 6 x 1200 to 'look forward' too.

QS - I found the speed sessions difficult this week as well. I think that this 3-4 weeks in the schedule are the hardest. Relatively high mileage (for Furman anyway) + fast paces.

Scmid - hope your 20 miler went well. Terrible weather here too.

Tricia - hope your race went well/ Looking forward to your report.

Dropped a heavy box on my toe at work on Friday. Ahh, the pain + immediate thoughts of will I be able to run. It was so painful, I could hardly push the clutch to drive home. Anyway, a bit of medieval treatment on Friday night, with a red hot needle to burn a hole through my big toe nail. Immediate relief from the blood pressure beneath, if a little messy!
    So bandaged and strapped it up for this morning's 20 miler and out into a howling gale and hail showers. The hardest 20 miler I've done for ages. Toe bled through to my trainers, although wasn't too painful. Just managed to keep to Furman pace with 10 seconds to spare at the end.
  • Options

I enjoyed my race!!!!- no hail during it, and actually sawe the sun- although it was ccccccold waiting at the start, and the poor marshals looked miserable! The slower runners looked like they were hit with some nasty weather after about 2 hours.

I pb'd!! my Garmin puts it at 1:47:30- giving me a predicted marathon time of about 3:45 according to Macmillan- well, my marathon pb is 4:12, so that would be a huge improvement- am aiming for sub-4 in 6 weeks time (just have to get through a ski holiday unscathed first)- still it's a big confidence boost - the trainig must be helping!

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Wow, Trish - that is AMAZING.  What a tremendous result and confidence booster!!  I have a half lined up for next Sunday and quite frankly, I'm bricking at the thought.  I booked the race to check whether or not I'm good for a 3.45 marathon and now I'm just scared sh*tless.  

Ouch, JPF, that sounds horrible!  Bloodied trainers, my word.  Keep an eye on that toe and put some antiseptic on it. The last thing you want now is to get an inflammation.   You are a tough one, aren't you?

Agree with everyone on that nasty wind.  My 20 miler ended up being 21.25 at about 5 secs faster than Furman pace, so well pleased.  But boy, it was hard work.  Heart rate up a good 10 bpm vs. usual heart rate at that pace but I felt pretty good all the same and made it a decent progressive run.  Bloody wind seemed to come full frontal no matter what turn I took though.  Ugh.  Vegging out on the couch now with a some well-earned choccies (I burnt 1958 calories today!!).  Took 1 gel & 1 litre of carb drink which seemed to have helped.

• Options

Well done everyone, some great 20 milers and a pb for tricialitt!    JPG - you are much braver than I am!

I'm a bit fed up today.  I was due to do a 20 miler and in the morning it was sleet, snow and gale force winds.  Decided to wait and see if it eased off any.  Radio reports were saying it's a day to stay indoors!  It hasn't eased off and now I've just read all your reports and feel terribly guilty.  Totally unmotivated to go out and do 20 miles on my own in this awful weather.  I might have to do it tomorrow night now or let it go and do it next weekend instead.  I'm suddenly feeling the marathon is very close now and I don't feel ready for it at all.  I have got 2 x 20 milers under my belt but it doesn't feel like it!  Oh and I've put on 2 of those 3 lbs I lost last week!  Just having a bad day I suppose!

• Options

Great running everyone in not nice conditions,these are the times when it is really difficult to keep up the training'

Lou 7 do not worry about missing your run ,especially if you already have a couple of 20 milers under your belt.  My longest is still only15 miles.

Today i did a half marathon in horrendous conditions and was quite pleased with 1hr 31.

I felt fairly comfortable all the way round which i have not done for a while so i am happy with thatimage.

• Options

Wow 1:31 is great for a half, mad mark- I don't think I'll ever reach those heights- this was my fourth half, and I must say, BY FAR the easiest- and still a PB- so can't complain- felt very pleasant until about 10 miles, then struggled for a mile, got my wind back after eating a couple of jellies (Sharkies- the new magic running food in my life!) and sped up a lot at the end. Wish I'd gone a little bit faster earlier on- reckon I could have taken a couple more minutes off.

Now I have to decide how to play my training this week- am heading off tothe slopes next saturday- so no time for a long run next weekend, - does that mean I mis 2 weekends of long runs- or try to sneak a long-ish one in during the week- Hmm- guess it depends how well I recover from today.

• Options

Wow from me too mad mark - that's a fantastic time, well done!

Well, I have given myself a good talking too and forced myself out the door.  Partly after reading wotsit's thread about the psychology side of things and believing in yourself - thanks Wotsit!

So, 20 miles done through the wind, rain and hailstones at one point.  And a little bit faster than the last two runs.  So, I've told myself to stop being such a moan!   Going to celebrate with a huge plate of pasta and large glass of wine!  Feeling very pleased with myself now.  It only took me 8 hours to force myself out the door! 

• Options

I meant to ask - is anyone planning on a run longer than 20 miles in training?  The book has 5 x 20 milers which I think I will stick to.  A ran 22 miles before a marathon before.  I felt it helped psychologically as another 4 seemed nowhere near as bad as another 6.2 on top of 20!  But, I don't know if I would've been fresher on the day had I not done it. 

Ah well, looks like another night in with my skins quickstepper!!!!

• Options

Well done you speedy people! 

I have Silverstone half next weekend, so will mostly be spending this week taking my own advice and believing in myself and that I can put in a good time.  I liked the psychology stuff - was very interesting that, of all the runners in the room, the only one who conciously uses psychological techniques to support their running was Liz Yelling.

I shall be picturing myself speeding round silverstone track and arriving victoriously at the finish line.  Bring it on!

• Options

Well done to everybody again this weekend - I am humbled by the commitment and spirit of our small forum band and it looks like our Furman schedule is starting to deliver....keep going everybody only 2 20 milers left!!!! 

A bit of fun:

If I had to place bets on who out of this forum will PB then I've got money on Mini - my favourite and almost a cert, Tricia is 3-1 that will rapidly shorten to evens after a safe return from skiing, Schmid is evens after a brilliant 20miler in terrible conditions definitiely a steely lady, JPF is steady at 2-1 due to her courage and determination, Astride is 4-1 a marathon pro who has previously achieved great things so has a far tougher task than all of us but definitely worth a flutter, Mark's 1st marathon so no betting but showing some good form, Lou7 shortening to 3-1 now she is winning her psychological battle.  What would your odds be?

Sorry to hear that alot of you had to run in bad weather today - I ran my 20miler with my sunglasses on image clear blue sky and very low sun beautiful - but 2 hours after I had finished we had terrible rain and gales just like the forecast hence why I got up at 7am on a Sunday.  20 miles at 6:45 pace PMP+28secs, relatively flat but breezy in places, but only took in water (no gels or isotonic drink) and this time no tendon problems in the last mile.  Compression socks a saviour again.  My quads were very tight at the end as they were sore at the start - but managed to dance with my daughter for 2 hours this evening!!!!!!

• Options

Tricia - go long if you have to choose.

Lou7 - you're killing me with your skins....

....I plan to run a 21-22 in 2 weeks time when I do a race practice, get up early, eat and drink as I plan and use gels and isotonic drink etc  Main problem is I think that this is the weekend the clocks go forward so my 6:30 rise will be 5:30image.  Maybe I'll start my race at 10:30 instead!!

• Options

LOU 7 I bet you are feeling good now well doneimage

Triciallit well done on your half thats a really good time especially with the weather conditions

QS once again impressive running,yes it was lovely down here early this morning but it all changed for the race.

keep up the good work folksimage

• Options

Hi all, well done on your races and 20 milers - i'm, so impressed - even in the terrible conditions you describe, some PB's too - brilliant!.

I must have been really lucky as I did my 18 miler on Saturday in glorious sunshine - it was a bit chilly nontheless, but dry and bright. Had the same circumstances as QS - the moment i arrived home and closed the door behind me - the heavens open - lucky or what?! Saying that - I was up really early and back home by 10.30am. <Sigh> I miss my lie-ins at the weekend!

18 miles is the furthest I've ever run so the slight aches yesterday were accompanied with a smug face image

I'm investing in compression socks - shall we form a clan? Not sure if I'll be wearing them to bed though image

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

QS - Like your Turf Accountant bit - but for 'her courage and determination' read 'his courage and determination'!

Toe much better today. Thanks for everyone's words of encouragement.

Last year I did 3x20, 1x21 and 1x22. However, I didn't run them at the same intense pace as in the Furman Plan. So I might just stick with the 5x20 at the paces they suggest. Like QS's idea of a marathon 'dress rehearsal' in a couple of weeks

• Options

Hello all, not been on for a while. I did my 20miler in the morning so caught the lovely weather! did 20.5 in 2.54, am aiming to do a sub 4 marathon so hope this is a step in the right direction, what you think?

Wotsit- I am running Silverstone next week too, after a 1.40.58 at Watford I am going to try and get under 1.40 at Silverstone as it's a bit flatter. Reading in a couple of weeks after that followed by Oakley 20 for anyone else who may be doing those.

I seem to be ok until those last 6 miles my FLM experience has taught me.  I am planning to try and leave myself an hour to do them in so when the anticipated falling apart occurs I still have time to drag myself in before 4 hours is up!

Also- Skins for blokes, do they really work?!

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Well done Mark on the 1:31.  What a fantastic achievement.  Your training seems to come together quite well.

QS: like your betting strategy.   Let's see how the odds develop going forward.

Lou: Respect for getting out there yesterday and going for it.  That goblet of vino was more than deserved. 

Sore-hip:  you will do much better than just sub-4  based on a 1:40 half.  I've done 3:54 based on a 1:52 half and I felt comfortable throughout.  No sign of the dreaded wall.  I'm very much hoping to do a Trish and with a 1:47 or thereabouts half which means I should be on track for my 3.45 marathon goal.

As for number of LSRs: done 20, 19.5 and 21.25.  Planning a 22 and another 20.  With hindsight I should have just kept going for another 0.75 miles yesterday!  But that would have meant running past my house -- psychologically impossible image

• Options

Right, I don't feel too bad after yesterday- did a spinning class this morning (weird form of recovery, I know) and am going to arrange to come into work late tomorrow, so will do a LSR before work- we'll see how it goes, but even if I don't get the full 20 miler in, it'll make me feel better about my holiday. (and add another couple of thousand calories to the planned food/ drink intake whilst on the slopes!!)

I don't think my OH would like it if I wore skins to bed!!!

• Options

Hi Schmidtinator- I am afraid I have run a 4.06 after a 1.43 half so my experience means that the last 6 miles is where I fall apart!  Looking to go sub 1.40 and feeling fitter than ever this year. Maybe it is the year I will do it, with all the speed work and circuit training I have been doing it should happen.

At least I hope it will.

• Options

Holymoly - Well done on the 18 miler, an excellent psychological boost as well as the obvious physical one.  Are you getting some compression socks for any particular reason or are you just wanting to be in the in crowd?! 

JPF - Thanks for the mutual support.

Schmid - Have a good holiday - don't feel guilty it is your holiday.  Safe return.

Sorehip - some advice

1) When you ran the 20.5 miler in 2:54 which is 8:29 pace.  For a 4 hour marathon the pace needs to be 9:09.  So if you were running a 20miler PMP+30secs you were faster by 10 secs which is excellent, however how did you feel running this pace and what kind of ascent/undulations was the run over?

2) I use Skins tights on the speed sessions to help just that little bit in maintaining blood flow - I have also worn them after the 20milers and they do seem to help recovery - even if this is just psychologically.

3) The training will build your glycogen but on our mileage we are unlikely to have enough glycogen in our body to go the distance so we need to be strategic.  I suggest you start to think about your race day nutrition so the dreaded wall moves closer or past the finish.

First ensure you have a high carbohydrate meal the evening before. 

Second, make sure you have a good breakfast (choose from porridge, bananas, wholemeal toast etc)  again high carbohydrate.

Third, have a small high energy snack or banana 30 mins before you start.

Forth, take an isotonic gel (SiS) or 100ml of sport drink in the first mile.

Fifth, there are lucozade sport stations at miles 4.6, 9.8, 15.3, 19.7 & 23.7 so practice taking this on your long runs.  But to drink enough lucozade sport to provide a enough energy to keep you to the end will probably be beyond all our bladder capacities! (I suggest you take a couple of good swigs at each station maybe even carry for a half mile).

Sixth, then supplement with gels taking them to coincide with a water station, possibly with 1 or 2 gels having caffeine in to give you a mental boost.

Seventh, have a practice race day to ensure you can stomach what you plan to eat and you know when you will take the gels and sports drink  - too much at once could lead to feeling sick.

Little and often is what I plan so a gel may last me over 2 water stops - they are light and small.

I have had a frenetic week and my head/throat cold returned but this time I have kept going but finishing the runs a bit hot in the head.  Saw physio on Tuesday and he ultrasounded my right achilles (which was ok) the day after I ran a 10mile tempo and I had a really stinging pain in my right ankle afterwards!!!  thankfully with ice and a day of only cross training I seemed to recover - not sure if I need to change my shoes (475 miles in them) or the ultrasound freed up an area and trasferred the problem elsewhere?  Ran to pace in key sessions 1 & 2 and was pleased  that the 1k,2k,1k,1k speed session was light compared to the previous week 3x2x1200m.  15m at PMP+10secs so light weekend!!!

• Options

Quickstepper- blinding, thanks for your advice!

Just off to Silverstone now. Hope anyone doing it has a good run.

• Options

Lots of interesting info Quickstepper thank youimage

Good luck in your race Sore hip

Another milestone for me today 17 miles at 7.26 pace so very happy with that image Ran with 5 otherFLM ers,4 of us stuck together 2 speed merchants dissapearedimage 20 mile race next weekend so it was a good confidence booster.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Afternoon all!  QS, you are da man - ever considered becoming a coach?  Wise words indeed and very helpful.  However, what gave you the idea I was on hols?  I think you may have confused me with Trish.

I had a week from hell at work, so only managing to check in here now.  On top of that woke up with the mother of all sore throats on Monday nite, forcing me to lay off training for a while.  No XT on Monday, no speed on Tues nor Wed.  I wanted to shake that bliddy thing before my race today.  Anyway, ended up with two killer sessions in a row on Thurs/Fri: 3x2x1200s which I accidentally ran an 800 pace because I'd looked in the wrong column (!!).  And then a 12 miler at PMP the next day.  It's official: I'm a nutter.

Cold back yesterday (no surprise) and I was about to cancel today's race but then it was such a gorgeous day for a race and I didn't feel too bad this morning, just a bit sniffly so I went but promised myself I wouldn't go hard and stick to my Furman pace for a half (which is 8:15).  Here are my splits -- can you spot the hills?

08:12, 08:01, 08:00, 08:02, 08:13, 08:14, 08:15, 08:38, 08:16, 08:22, 08:17, 08:16, 08:44

All this adds up to a 1:47:30 half (see Trish, I copied you!!) which is spot on what I'm supposed to run.  Not too shabby at all methinks.  Well chuffed now.  Very strangely this felt quite easy.  I think I could have pushed but instead I held back and really tried to stick to my pace.  Brilliant feeling to one strong mile after the other.  I had fun out there, I really did.  Now of course I start thinking I should have pushed for that 1:45 dream target.  Oh well, another time.  And not without a taper, that's for sure.

Good long run Mark!  Another milestone out of the way.  You are on the right track.

QS, i hope that ankle feels better today.  you may be right about the shoes.  mine generally start to feel flat at about 400 miles (Asics GT2130).

• Options

Guys - glad the race day nutrition info was useful - I have been reading up alot to sort myself out so glad I could pass on some of the knowledge and ideas I gleaned.  We have all be training very herd and effectively so I'd hate for us to mess up on the day.

Schmid: Oops - sorry about mixing you up, especially as you had such a hard week at work.image

I admire your sensible approach this week - how you dealt with the cold and race pacing approach -excellent - you've definitely got the bigger picture. image

Excellent splits - maybe you have just identified your post Marathon goal, a sub 1:45 looks very achieveable why don't you use the Furman half marathon schedule for an Autumn flat half?image

Snap with the shoes GT1230's too (but male version obviously) - switched to the new pair (post a couple of break in recovery runs) ran my 15 miler in them today and they had that new recoil feel. 

Mark - You're getting thereimage - what pace do you plan for the 20 miler?

The ankle pain (touch every piece of wood in the room) from earlier in the week has now thankfully gone.  Beautiful weather todayimage and a 6:21 paced 15 miler - training target 6:27, again with no gels etc and with a linger cold too.  Fingers crossed it doesn't bite me next week.  Actually looking forward to my race day practice next Sunday - 22 miler with gels - am I crazy or talking myself into a fall? Fingers crossed.

• Options

Hello everyone.

Thanks for all the advice QS and the info on your half Schmid.  I ran Silverstone today- traffic meant I got there at about midday (start time) but they delayed the start by 15mins (I assume because of the traffic)- it  was shades of FLM 2007 for me got to the startline then at 10.30, but that's another story. Anyhow, when we got there the starting area was packed out and we started at the back (well in the pits actually). The result of this was I was overtaking people most of the race. Not ideal at all. I think I probably went a bit quick at the start- target was sub 1.40. I got to 1 mile to go and needed to knock out an 8 min mile, not impossible but I had developed the stitch from hell (don't usually get these). I was resigned to just missing out but in the last half mile I convinced myself it was the only time I was ever likely to get around in this time and I picked it up and even sprinted (kind of) towards the line at the end. Result was a time of 1.39.25, I even had a little cry at the end.

Hope everyone else had a good one.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Well done, sore-hip.  Cracking PB after a challening start!  You must be chuffed. 

Sadly, my cold has spread to my chest now and I sound like someone with a 40-a-day habit.  Boo hoo.  image

That's me out for a while.  Very frustrating but at least it's just a cold and not an injury.  Just gotta be patient now [easier said than done!!] and wait for it to clear.  After all, training has gone pretty well and there are still 6 weeks to go.  So, an easy week at this stage shouldn't be too much of a throwback.

• Options

The ying and the yang of running 

Scmid - really sorry to hear that you are unwell.  I wish you a speedy recovery - the days off will at least give your muscles some recovery.

Sore head - Well I would have after celebrating such a brilliant PBimage - what's your marathon PB? I get the feeling you are shaping up for a good day on 26th April.

• Options

Hello all- QS my marathon PB is 4.06.01, last 6 miles always do me in.  I hope to break 4 this year all is looking good at least!

Is anyone doing Reading Half. I am from Reading so thought as it's down the road it would be cool to do. It looks a nightmare- I mean parking. Drive into town then get a bus to the start?! I thought there would be parking at the ground (where is starts and finishes) but no they are using that for other stuff (stands, music etc).  It cost £26 I think so I would like to run it but the whole thing sounds like a pain. 

Anyone ran it before, is it worth the hassle? I may end up staying with my parents (7miles away) getting them to drop me off at the start and pick me up at the end.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Evening all.  Been checking in but not had the chance to post till now.  Busy week etc etc.  Another week of now enough hours in each day.  Managed 18.5 miles so far with 20 planned tomorrow, then hopefully a 10 on Sunday at a good pace. 

Coniston 14 nest weekend.  Not going to race so wont do any mini-taper stuff.  Hoping to do it around marathon pace.