Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: BellyBoyBarnes (sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options

Hi BBB

sorry to hear youre still suffering but you've got a great positive attitude, keep the best side out and surely some respite will come your way

did my last long run today including a 5mile race. 2m warm up, race then 3m slow and 2 at mp as advised by steve. good news that i didn't really feel any knee pain, finished just over 30 mins about 30 sec off pb but pretty pleased overall and it was very windy. maybe 30-40 mins bike recovery tomorrow, physio monday, maybe little speed work tuesday and thats about it really rest up then for rotterdam next sunday

good luck to everyone else with injuries too, hope you can overcome them

• Options

How did everyone get on today?

I did a longish run mid week, so I could race the Eastleigh 10K. Used it as a speed session with a 2 mile warm up and a 2 mile cool down. Still manged a PB which suprised me tbh 37:33 image. Maybe having the injury has helped me from not overtraining...

BBB hope thing are on the mend mate....

• Options

BBB I think everyone can learn something from your attitude to recovery. I'm sending some positve vibes your way.

Tony Blinding run fella. I reckon you are peaking nicely for a huge Mara p.b. Any updates to your target yet?

Against all my competitive instincts, I decided not to enter today's Reading Half. The logical part of my brain has finally put it's foot down. So I'm going to fix myself properly and hopefully not ruin a whole season of racing. London remains in the balance!

So today I was a spectator, which was quite a new experience. It was inspiring to see the elites and the masses achieving their resective goals. It has certainly motivated me to concentrate on getting fit to race.

Mrs H got a 5min p.b. and I was delighted for her. She was less than pleased when I made her walk the 3 miles to the train station. Guess who's peeling the potatoes for tonights roast? 

• Options

some good results over the weekend.

I hear Reading was good - a runner from ny group did a really good pb.

Sorry BBB - after the positive experience of Bath,the back has really spoiled things and time is running out. Hopefully it will just come and go. I've had quite a few back problems but generally they sette after a few weeks.

Yes was racing - of sorts at European Vets. Did rubbish indoor race, - have run quicker first 3K in marathon but better cross-country but have gone down with heavy cold and haven't really trained this week. Athlete I coach won four golds though at 800, 1500, 3000 and cross-country and won team medal at XC so worth going for that.

Yes helped Wardi last year - bit like BBB wanted to a do a lot more than was on the schedule but a great attitute to training hard.

• Options

PH - Sorry to hear that you had to spectate Reading, but you did the right thing allowing yourself to recover fully. When will you make your decision on London?

Well done to Mrs H, a five minute PB is outstanding.

Regarding London I'm not quite sure on a target time yet. I want to beat my 2:58 at Abingdon, but I dont want to blow up at 20 by going to fast to begin with. Was thinking of going for 2:55 which is 6:40 min / miles. What do you think Steve, am I being a bit too optimistic?

Steve - Sorry to hear you had a poor indoor race, but I bet you were on a high with the athlete you coach...

• Options

Hi all - thanks for the ongoing support, have walked and stretched today.  

FL - sorry I didn't see your posting till now.

Birder - thanks for the posting, it makes intresting reading and sounds like youv'e had similar problems in  the past - good to hear you've got over them, though not so good on the time scales. One question was your pain mainly when putting weight on the leg/ side that you has a problem with? As I'm ok when sitting or on bike. Hope you do well in London even with your revised target, keep us posted.

SC - sorry mixed up my marathons - you've put the work in good luck with ROTTERDAMimage.  Glad to hear the knee is holding up.

TS - well done excellent result, your looking good now.

PH - personally I find it very hard to be a spectator, but it's good your being sensible, hope it pans out well for you in the longer term. Good running for MRS H  though I'm not suprised she's making you peel spuds after that walk!

Steve - I am getting worried about how close it's getting to London, I really hope it settles soon. I've got another session with osteopath and physio (in work) on Tuesday and will let you know how it goes. I'm in a situation at the moment where my head is still 100% commited but the body isn't playing ball image. Anything that I can do to improve this I'm willing to try.

Fantastic results for your boys in Italy, you must be feeling proud of them. - hope your cold goes soon.

• Options

BBB - really gutted for you mate - you're so committed too. I really hope these stretches help things and you're able to toe the line on the 26th.Here's hoping for a more positive week mate.

TS - well done on the PB - no surprises - you've worked hard for it.

Steve - sorry to hear you have had a mixed trip - congrats to your charge winning all the gold. 

Wilmslow for me today and I laid the ghosts of last years GNR and missing out on sub-80 by 19 seconds by running 79:14 !!! Well chuffed obviously. I need to play it safe from here on in though. 

• Options

BBB, I'm sure there is still time if you can get a bit of luck and get it sorted out.

I ran with FL & MM61 this morning and did about 22.5 miles in 3hours - up to Glynneath and back.  Really enjoyed it and it boosted my confidence.  Significant negative split - steady for the first 11 but I averaged just outside my marathon pace for the final 11 miles. Very pleased given a few undulations .... and the final hill.  FL offered me the choice of a flat finish or the hill .... I said I'd take the flat road until I saw the hill and said, "Sod it let's do the hill" - I want my head tested!

Legs feeling ok tonight  and no reaction on my knee. 

MF, how are you feeling?  Up for speed work this week?

• Options

Great run jason - the speed is there - now just stay fit and healthy and avoid colds (as I typed that i sneezed heavily and probably woke the neighbours).

TS the 2:55 is possible based on your 10K time  - well done - but you probably still need some good training. The sub -3 looks likley unless you go too fast for your fitness. I would be tempted to aim more for 2:57. It leaves less to play with but should mean you will better for longer.

My grand total for the last 7 days was less than 20 and the 3000m was possibly the worst ever of my near 2000 odd races, though the xc was passable.

This is a time where the hard training for quite a while, almost reaching a peak, is taking its toll on many runners who at this stage go down with injuries and illnesses. Hopefully any stop for a short period, may give the body an enforced rest that could actually help. However those injuries which last mean many will hav to reevaulate their goals and be more realistic.

All the you can do BBB is plenty of stretching, get treatment, and if it isn't showing signs of improvement, try alternative treatment - even acupuncture.

• Options

Hi BBB,

Just come and had a look on your thread. Just a suggestion, have you not tried a chiropractor. Having had amazing results with them in the past this would always be my first point of call with a back problem.

Good luck

Tricia

• Options

Morning all

SJ - well done on Wimslow, your looking strong.

RB - Good running yesterday, your well on target and looks like your getting a liking for the hills.

Tricia - thanks for the chiropractor suggestion - I've not tried one yet, but have been seeing an osteopath for a while, perhaps this is something to keep in mind.

Steve - I've done more stretching today and have already had two accupuncture sessions, with a third booked for tomorrow. I'm not sure whether this is having much effect though and have eased off the bike for a day or two just to see whether it was aggravating it or not.  

• Options

BBB good chiropractor in Cadoxton MR Leason i used him when my back was bad limpted in ran out if he cant fix it no 1 canimage

• Options
    I've also used Leason - fixed my injury OK and I could hardly walk at the time!
  • Options

SJ - Great time for a half , if you can knock 4 mins off you would get a championship start at London.

What time are you going for in London?

• Options
    birderbirder ✭✭✭

Hi BBB

The back pain I described previously was diagnosed as sacro-iliac joint pain and both times it was in the same area i.e. just to the left of the area close to the base of my spine, with some additional pain down the back of my left leg. Initially I had difficulty even walking and driving was also a problem.

Although like you I tried to compensate for reduced exercise by spending more time on my bike I have since found the cycling can still cause me to have lower back pain.. Having said that I also continue to do the previously described exercises and they seem to offer preventative protection against severe sacro-iliac pain.

Hope you are making progress with your stretches and treatment. And, I know its easy for me to say, but stay positive. and good luck.

As for my on-going throat infections affecting my training I managed 1.26 in the Liverpool half mara yesterday, despite following the pack the wrong way at the start! Not quite my sub 1.25 in Blackpool last month but I am hopeful for a reasonable result in London approaching just over 3 hours or thereabouts.

• Options

Hi All, Seen Osteopath this morning more accupuncture with electro's to make thing a bit stronger.Don't know yet if this has worked but have been refered to a sports GP in the vale  of glamorgan.Hope i can find out a bit more later on today.

Thanks for everyones support and advice i'l let you know how i get on later today.      

• Options
    Good luck with it - I generally see osteos but chiros look at things slightly differently and definitely worth a try.
  • Options

Hope he can help BBB

• Options
    Hope its good news BBB
  • Options
    Fingers crossed BBB. I hope you're able to share some good news with everyone
  • Options

Hi all news of sorts - The good news is the doctor I saw yesterday doen't think it's a stress fracture, which is what the osteo was concerned about yesterday - the bad news is I still don't know what it is and although it's not any worst - it's not any better either!

The doctor I saw in the Vale yesterday is the national football team doctor and also looks after the Ospreys and Swansea City teams, so he's had plenty of sporting injury experience. He also thinks it may be a nerve problem, but as  I said I'm none the wiser. Looks like I'll have to wait for the MRI scan on the 9th.image.  

BB what's that chiro's number - Mr Leason? Best not to post it on the site but if you go on my RW profile you can send me an e-mail, Thanks.

• Options

Morning All, - I'm feeling slightly better this morning, not walking so badly and not feeling so sore image. I've beeing doing the "girlie sit-ups" a la Birder - no offence meant to any girls on the site!,  had stronger acupuncture yesterday and have for past few days had lighter duties (no lifting) in work and lastly done no cycling (only exercise for past few days has been stretches and normal walking around).  I'm not sure if it's just time or if some/all of this is helping, but I hope this improvement continues and faster would be good image.

Hope everyone else's training is still going well, not long now!  

• Options
    BBB Did you get my email
  • Options
    BB - no I didn't get it, but I've sent you one with my e-mail adress on. 
  • Options
    birderbirder ✭✭✭

BBB I think you meant "girlie press-ups" not "sit-ups" - we could be offending an awful lot of women out there!

Seriously though I hope the improvements continue. Good luck once again.

• Options
    BBB i have made  a reply to your email i hope you have reseaved it if not FL & FM have my phone number
  • Options

Morning all, I do seem to be getting a little better, still not right but it's definately heading in the right direction.

BB, thanks I got your e-mail with the number - have'nt decided whether to go or not yet though.

Birder typo, no offence meant to the girls!

SammyChung all the best for your marathon this weekend, let us know how you get on.

Is anyone racing this weekend - it's probably the last one before London?

• Options

Hi Steve - what do think my deadline should be for making a decision over running the marathon or not ? I was thinking of waiting till after the MRI, as I'm hoping this might give me some answers to what's been causing it. 

As for sub 3, realistically I can probably say goodbye to it at this point, but I'd still like to run if I'm physically up to it, as the distance isn't a problem under normal circumstances.

My thinking is that if I can get back to running pain free before the marathon I want to do it - I know it's too late for a PB but hopefully if I'm fit enough to run it, I should get round in a reasonable time. My plan will be then to help/support some of the other's to achieve their goals.

• Options

Hi all

Just a quick reminder that Nick Morgan will be online between 1 and 2pm today to answer any questions you might have about your marathon nutrition and hydration.

We've opened the debate a little early so do post your questions now so Nick can get stuck in straight away at 1pm!

Thanks

Alice