Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: BellyBoyBarnes (sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options

BBB

As long as your back is better and you aren't going to cause damage and you don't have any alternative immediate targets then I don't see why you can't run the marathon  - but no time targets and just to enjoy.

The scan will be a big factor in your decision and you may feel if you can get a couple of weeks running in, you won't have lost as much fitness as you feared. All the work you did from january from Mid march won't have been wasted.

I can see why you want to complete the journey, and I would definitely be the same, even if circumstances have stopped you attempting what you would have been capable if fully fit.

• Options

Hi All,

I was dragged out to a function last night so ended up having a bottle of wine (or two) and after so long off the booze felt like I could  have done london no problems image, unfortunately the anasethetic effects have now worn off and boy am I regretting itimage. I'd forgotten what hangovers are like!

Anyhow, I'm starting to feel a lot better and have continued to see improvements over the last few days - I haven't tried running yet though, but if this continues I'm planning to try a gentle run on Monday afternoon.

Steve - thanks for the continued support, I'm glad you can see where I'm coming from, fingers crossed I'll still be able to do it.

Osteopath on the run - hope you enjoyed your holiday and got some good running in. P.S. hope you've recharged your batteries, your going to need it with the way I've been lately  image- see you Monday.

MF,RTB, - I'm pretty sure Sue is on the red start have a good run tomorrow.     

• Options
    Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you BBB image
  • Options

BBB, Pleased things are moving in the right direction.  If you feel up to it, you would be welcome to join me & MF on your bike tomorrow.  Alternatively, I'm off work this week and would be happy to join you on Monday at your pace if you want a little company.  However, I won't be offended if you'd rather run this one alone.

Good Luck - and remember there are still a lot of miles in those legs!!!

• Options

BBB - your positive attitude and determination are fantastic. I have been meaning to say that for ages. I sincerely hope you get to run on the 26th and am very much looking forward to raising a glass to your strength of character.

Looking forward to raising many glasses actually, for as many reasons as I can think of!!!

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Hear hear SueC.

To both.

Think I'll have a can of Stella.

• Options

Thanks everyone for your continued support, my back is feeling a lot better today although still sore on my left leg. As I said in an earlier post, I've stopped any exercise etc or a few days and that included the stretches. I thinb the complete rest seems to have helped and I'm hoping it continues to improve and that I can re-introduce the running at a gentle pace to start.

I'm definately not drinking again till marathon afternoon/evening - but I'll be looking forward to raising a glass to all of you too.

RB - Thanks for the offer of company, I'll probably just go out for a short run on my own Monday - I don't plan to be out long just a little trial to see how I feel during and afterwards.  

• Options

Hope tomorrow jog out proves to be good news and as others have said, you still have some quality miles in those legs. London could still be on..

I done my last LSR run today, 22 miles with an avg pace of 7:10 min mile. Felt very tierd but still strongish at the end. Looking forward to the taper now with just an 18 & 12 miler and then the RACE!!!!! Wow its come round quick .

Matt Furber Hi, looking for some advice regarding race day nutrition. I have been taking gels (sorry but they are SIS as the lucozade ones make me feel sick) every 5 miles on my LSR. I have also carried a bottle of lucozade sport 500ml, in two smaller running bottles and basically split them between the distance of the run.

1. What do you advise for the day as I belive lucozade will be available ever 5 miles, but I have been taking gels then, should I take my gel and then wash it down with lucozade?
    2. Is it possible to OD on the lucozade, ie drink to much in the first half of the race and if so what do you advise for a 65kg male, who is looking for a sub 3 hr.
    3. Any advice on taking on water during the race or should I just stick to the gels and lucozade?

Thanks in advance Matt 

BBB Sorry for hijacking your forum with all my questions, but I have got everything crossed for you. Hoping to see you running London this year.

• Options

TS

Great run.

I'm no scientist but I would suggest taking on small sips of water between the Lucozade and you need to get used to the taste. I think  It tastes slightly different when you are running marathons and slightly dehydrated!

Good luck tomorrow BBB.

I did Paddock Wood Half today glorious conditions - fairly quick at 5M but for various reasons had to ease back for a relaxed 80 - A good day as our club won both team races, and a runner from my group won women's race in a PB and I won age group despite the slow time.

• Options
    birderbirder ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow BBB. Take it easy.

I'll be having a few beers after London myself, not least because its my wife's birthday.

Did have a can with my dinner this evening after a good training run at Blackpool marathon - ran the first 22 then jogged the last four.

• Options

BBB, I'm off work this week, if you want I  can drive down and get you and maybe we could run on the beach? It wont be so hard on your back if you run on the sand. Let me know. If not Good luck with the run.

Steve, congratulations on your win.

TS, cracking running there mate.

• Options

BBB - Hope all went well with today's planned jog

TS - excellent LSR to finish things off before the taper. I did slightly less mileage on Saturday and like you - felt tired - must be ready for the taper.

birder - Nice training run!! 

Steve - well done on wining age grp at PW - you're the model of consistency. I love the "relaxed 80" bit...oh and a good day for all concerned too. 

I ran my first ever road relays at the Northern's 12 stage yesterday. Ran Leg 1 and although completely outclassed by all the fast guys being out first too I felt I did okay running 23:59 for the 4.2 miles long leg. Unfortunately the Sale B team I was running for didn't qualify for the nationals but a good experience and some short fast stuff to keep the legs turning over. 

• Options

Hi all I had a good session with the osteopath today and am continuing to feel better by the day. He advised me to leave the running for today and on his advice I will try a run tomorrow instead.

TS keep the questions coming mate, this forum is for everyone and I personally like to read about everyone else's triumphs and concern's and the answers that are given. I'm still learning and it's good to know about and compare everyone else's experiences.  

Steve well done for yesterday, wish I was so consistent!

Birder, well done on using a marathon as a training run, I'd probably have struggled not to race it.

FL thank's for the offer of company, I can't see me doing much yet though and you'd probably get bored having to lap meimage

SJ sounds like you enjoyed the relays experience, not done anything like that yet either.

Well I guess it's taper time for most now, shame mine's been a bit longer than you guys image.

SammyChung- how did you get off in Rotterdam?  

• Options
    BBB, you now where I am, just give me a bell if your up for it. We can go as slow or fast as you like.And as short or long. within reason on the long bitimage. I'll leave it with you mate.
  • Options

imageBBB hope you get your run done pain free

• Options

BBB good luck with the run tomorrrow.

SJ - a really good sharpener at the relays - well done

• Options
    BBB - finger crossed mate, take it easy.
  • Options

interesting to see how it feels today and you can see what you can get away with in next few weeks to at least prepare yourself for 26 miles and find out how much you have lost.

• Options

<pokes head round the corner to see if BBB is back yet>

• Options

Everything is still crossed for you BBB...

Todays speed session 8 x 800, first one was 2.58 and the rest where all between 2.53 / 2.56. Still feel tired though...come on wheres this nice easy taper.... image 

• Options

Hi All,

Tried running today had to stop at about 1k  max, had to much pain in the lower back/top of leg area.I have not given up hope yet as i know i can run 26 miles when injury free.Hoping that thursdays MRI scan will show something more positive.

Thanks for all the support, its your support that is giving me hope!      

• Options

Sorry to hear your not right yet mate. Hope the scan shines some light on the problem for you. Are you going back to using the bike to keep the fitness up? if you are and want to get some rides in let me know. Keep your chin up mate.

I did my final speed session today, 9MR, 9mile at 6min/mile pace with just over 1 min jog recoveries. With the warm up and cool down runs I got 15 mile in. 7:01 pace over all. Now its down hill all the way.

• Options
    BBB - what a bummer.  Hope the MRI shines some light.  We're all thinking of you.
  • Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed for you BBB.
  • Options
    birderbirder ✭✭✭

Sorry you are still not right. My wife and running friends all know you from this forum and we are all rooting for you.

Did my first speed session for two months (virus and throat infection put a stop to speed!) and used parts of my lungs that hadn't been worked for ages. Too late for me to do sub-3 at London, but did manage 80th at Blackpool marathon despite jogging last 4 miles so I'm just pleased to be running.

Good luck with the MRI.

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

BBB, I hope the MRI brings up something positive.

If you're up for trying anything to help, could I suggest a couple of treatments of Bowen Technique?  It really is great for helping back pain amongnst many things - kept me running last year.  The attached link gives a few case studies of back pain to give you an idea of how it helps.

http://www.thebowentechnique.com/content/casehistories.htm#back

• Options

Like others have said BBB sorry to hear todays run was aborted and likewise hoping the scan later this week sheds some light on things - for your sanity if nothing else.

You're putting a brave face on it mate which is equally admirable as there is nothing so frustrating as being injured. Keep the faith and hopefully you can tow the line with the rest of the team and save the sub 3 for another day.

• Options

BBB, you sure ain't having much luck at the moment - let's hope you learn something from the MRI scan.

Did 8 x 800 Yasso tonight on my own - not the same without you and MF. Didn't realise how tired I was after 23m on Sunday - at least that is my excuse!  With a few miles at the end I managed to clock up another 10 miler.

• Options

Not the good news we were hoping for. Hope the scan reveals positive news that can be rectified asap.

• Options

As everyone else has said I feel for you BBB. Hopefully the scan will help you get to the root of the problem. Again other have said, but you positive attitude is outstanding.

FL Thats an impressive speed session, what time are you planning for London?

RB I to felt very tired after the Yasso's well done for pushing it out to 10 miles. When I finished mine I just about jogged / crawled a mile back to my car...