Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: BellyBoyBarnes (sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options
    PH Did you compete for the RAF last year at London, if so what was it like? Sorry to hear you are injured, but like you said...its best to recover fully.

I am based down in a Thorney Island, which is in between Chichester and Portsmouth on the South coast. Bit to far to meet up for some LSR, but thanks for the offer.

2:50 for a marathon is a nice tidy time I expect you have run for the RAF in the Inter Services Comps this year?

Did my last LSR today, dropped it from 18 to 15 and felt quite good. How about everyone else?

Is there only me and Fast Legs oing London?

• Options
    Nigel - what a nightmare - was hoping you would have something else to say after your scan......i can't believe it and am SO gutted for you - you were our speed monster - now what will the super six do without you??? what are your plans for 26th - will we still see you - i really hope so.

Most of all - I hope the pain goes and you heal really soon. xx
  • Options

Hi Tony, Just back from the Teifi 10. Had a great run had a new 10 mile PB 1:03:30, knocked just over a minuet off last year. And we won the team bronze in the Welsh championships.

Now time for two weeks of easy running and lots of restimage.

• Options

FL Great run and great time. To come back with a team prize must have been great to. image

Ditto on the few weeks of easy runs and rest......image

• Options

Hi All

Sounds like you've had some good last runs, good times there FL, Tony your also sounded ready for London now - take it easy both for next 2 weeks.

SueC, Mystic, - I'll see you both in London - we've got this far I can't not support you all now - your training's been fantastic your both looking really good for London.

PH - gutted to hear your injured as well, but I will be spectating and hoping to catch up with a few people while I'm there - all the best for yor other halfs run.

TonyS, I'm not sure how you find it, but I've often taken gels before the start and found that useful as well and also the lucozade caffiene boost drink really works well for me before a race. They are normally available at the start - I'm not sure whether Matt is able to confirm this for London.

Hope your all enjoy the taper now, I've been catching up on some family time, I'm still sore but able to walk pretty ok, so been out and about enjoying the sunshine and failing to resist the chocolate eggs - I'd better be careful or I'll be living up to my name before too longimage.   

• Options

not sure the caffeine drink is available BBB

don't overdo the eggs - need to be in great shape when the injury disappears

• Options

Hi Nigel, I am gutted for you image and not sure what to say other than there is a sub 3 in you for sure.....you have been amazing to follow over the past few months and seeing how you tackle your running is inspiring (at the marathon workshop I am not sure I have seen anyone run so fast and in such good form). Take care and rest up. We'll see you at the hotel on Saturday night and there will be plenty of things going on to keep you busy if you like!

Re product at the start - there will be a mix of Lucozade Sport flavours at each of the start lines (incl Caffiene Boost) so make sure you all fuel up properly for the race. On our website there are some good tips for what to eat and drink in those final hours (alas no red wine for us!!)

Wishing you all the best of luck and a great run.

Shona. (from Lucozade Sport!)image

• Options

Hay Nigel,

Sorry, i have been away for a few days. I am gutted for you mate. I am glad that you have enjoyed your time as a super SIXER and learnt from it. Hopefully you can take this into next year and break that sub 3 barrier then!

Did you get your water bottle?

Keep your head up and concentrate on getting that back fixed! See you on the day, it will hopefully be a good day for you then anyway.

Regards

Matt

• Options

Hi Matt I posted this a few days ago, but think you might have missed it while you were away...

Matt Furber Hi, looking for some advice regarding race day nutrition. I have been taking gels (sorry but they are SIS as the lucozade ones make me feel sick) every 5 miles on my LSR. I have also carried a bottle of lucozade sport 500ml, in two smaller running bottles and basically split them between the distance of the run.

1. What do you advise for the day as I belive lucozade will be available ever 5 miles, but I have been taking gels then, should I take my gel and then wash it down with lucozade?
    2. Is it possible to OD on the lucozade, ie drink to much in the first half of the race and if so what do you advise for a 65kg male, who is looking for a sub 3 hr.
    3. Any advice on taking on water during the race or should I just stick to the gels and lucozade?

Thanks in advance Matt 

And this to:

I am also starting to think about nutrition for race day. I am looking at the following:

Lucozade Sport at 5, 10, 15, 19, 23.  

Gels at 7,12,17,21 washed down with a few gulps of water. 

Cheers Tony 

• Options

Hi all,

Hope everyones fit and healthy and looking forward to the big day!

Shona,Matt,Steve,I really hope to see you all on the satururday as i know it will be a big weekend for you guys too.

Shona are you still looking to smash that sub 3.15 ?

No eggs for me, only my son and daughters left oversimage     

Matt, Yes and thanks for the bottle.

• Options
    3.15 no chance - happy with a sub 3.30....leave the faster running to you! Take care and see you in London. Shoimage
  • Options
    birderbirder ✭✭✭

Been in Norfolk over easter - birdwatching of course. Did a slow out and back 18 miles which was maybe a bit too far but it didn't really take much out of me, and did a quick 5 miles this morning before driving home. Had hoped to get close to 3 hours at London but a vareity of infections curtailed a lot of training between end of Jan and end of March. Did somehow manage a PB of 1.24 in Blackpool half marathon in Feb so maybe there is still some speed in my legs.

The training schedule recommends a steady run of 12 miles this weekend, I assume that means marathon pace, what do other runners think of this so close to the race?

• Options

Gone a bit quieter on the thread since BBB news. Are people getting nervous or taking it easy? Maybe a bit of both.

I've realised today that the battle with injury has beaten me and I'm going to have to join BBB in the spectating ranks. I'm still going down to spectate and cheer friends on particularly with a number doing their first marathon. 

If anyone wants to post their number either on here or to me directly, I'll keep an eye out and give you a shout. good luck to everyone with their race targets

• Options
    Tony Smith - Army red / white vest & shorts - Race No 730 - Would like  Sub 3 hrs 
  • Options
    Chris Fulcher-Port Talbot harriers,White with red and black diagonal stripe- would love Sub3 hrs. Race No-31459
  • Options

Hi All

Birder glad you had a good weekend - I've got to ask - can you clarify just what kind of birds were you watching - as I wasn't sure if it's the Norfolk Broads or Norfolk Nightclub variety?image. If I was running a steady 12 this week it would definately be very easy and not at marathon pace, but I'm sure Steve will be able answer you best next time he's on.

EOL - I think it is a combination of both nerves and taper, theres less running to post about and I expect everyone's resting up. Good call on the running numbers - I'll be making a note of the numbers too and hope to catch-up with some of you after the finish, if time permits. Sorry to hear your out as well, I'm travelling up on Saturday morning with my OH and going for pasta with the rest of the Super-Six team in the evening, but as they'll need to go to bed fairly early if you wanted to meet up afterwards let me know - and also the invitations open to any other forum members spectating this year.

HI Shona - you never knowimage.

Thanks TS - I'll be looking out to give you a cheer and fingers crossed for your sub 3.

• Options

Tony S Well done on getting a place with the Army. I came across plenty of guys running in Army vests last year and enjoyed chasing them down, even more than James Cracknell (great wind break).

I'm yet to run for the RAF, always seem to be getting sent off to hot places, so struggle to commit to anyting other than the odd local event.

Will give you and Fast Legs a cheer and anyone else who posts their details. Plan to be at miles 5, 19 and 25. A cunning plan to see Mrs H 3 Stimes and the elite men twice.

BBB    Can you help me out with a few left over eggs!

• Options

Birder.

12 at marathon pace is feasible but I wouldn't reccomend it - it just isn't worth the risk and I doubt whether many of the top men's marathoners would run 12 miles at 4:40 pace!

I would suggest a fairly relaxed 10-12 but would suggest doing a mile or so at marathon pace in the middle.

• Options

Hi All,

Steve how has your training been going?

Did you also follow  the mike gratton or any other shcedule ?

Hi Phil,

Keep those eggs for your dear Lady, im sure she will finish them off after the marathon she will have earned them.image

Birder,

Take it easy mateimage 

• Options
    birderbirder ✭✭✭

Steve Thanks for the advice, I'll probably do 10 miles easy with a couple of miles in the middle at marathon pace.

BBB I know I shouldn't rise to the bait but.... yes I was in Norfolk watching birds of the feathered variety. image The photo of the Barn Owl was taken last year in this wonderful county. My long run was unusually slow and was probably due to me watching harriers, geese etc while running. Hope you are coping OK with the enforced rest. Stay chilled.

• Options
    BBB sorry to hear of your bad news,what you up to with your spare time nowimage,  i"ve had a cough and cold the last week ,and my son"s in hospital, so not sure about London. keep good 
  • Options

H4RRY, that's bad news mate. is that why you missed the Teifi 10? Hope you and your son are well soon. And still hope you make London.

Did my last run with effort last night, 1 mile slow 8min/mile then 5 mile 6:30min/mile then 7:30/8:00 for last 2.

9 days to go. time to restimage.

• Options

Morning all - Birder Thanks for clearing that one up image.

H4RRY - sorry to hear you and your son have been ill, hope your recovering now and your family will always come first - if you can't make London, there will be others (I keep telling myself that!) and I'm sure we'll meet up around the circuit at some point. At the moment I'm not doing much with the spare time as the doctors told me I must rest - and I've got to agree by doing it the pain is easing and my walking has improved quite a lot. I'm limping slightly in the morning and then it eases as the day goes on.

FL - make sure you do rest now, the hard works been done. 

• Options

I'm usually over on the sub-3 thread but occasionally dipin here.I was gutted to readof your problems BBB,it's always tough when something like this happens after training so hard for so long. All the best for wheneveryou get back.

H4ARRY,hope your son is OK and you also make it to London.

• Options

H4RRY-Hope your son makes a quick recovery. Makes you realise that despite the time and committment everyone on the threads invests in running, it's of secondary importance to family .

Birder-I always thought that Barn Owl was the female guide leader of the non feathered variety-or was that Brown Owl?image Good luck next weekend. Enjoy your taper-same goes to FL and TS

Good article by Matt Furber on the diet/carb loading period for next week and race day. Useful to those who haven't paid as much attention to the nutrition in race week as they could

• Options

Hi all

Just a quick reminder that Liz Yelling will be online between 1 and 2pm today to answer any questions you might have about race week and race day.

We've opened the debate a little early so do post your questions now so Liz can get stuck in straight away at 1pm!

Thanks

Catherine

• Options

Hi Margam Flyer,

Did you check out the food diary which was based on a morning shift this could help you?

Hi Rodsci,

Thanks for your support ,are you running the marathon if so what time you looking for,if so hope everything is going well and take things easy.image 

• Options
    Hi all,thanks for the kind words of support,much appreciated.  FL, yes thats why i gave Teifi a miss,chest feels like i"ve been on 40 fags a dayimage.
  • Options

Hi BBB

Yes, I'm doing FLM and hoping for anything under 3.15 that will get me a GFA place next year. I did 3.18 at Stratford last April and training has been going well so I'm optimistic but certainly not over confident.

• Options

Hi ALL,

Good Welsh weather this weekend hope the weather is on your side next weekend,

Hi Rodski,

Did you know that you can get a marathon place GFA on your half marathon times,  i do not know what times you need, perhaps steve might have more knowledge of this?

H4RRY,

Get well soon mate!