Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: BellyBoyBarnes (sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options
    BBB go see ciro wot have you to lose
  • Options

Hi Nigel, sorry to hera about your back....hope the scan goes well and fingers crossed you can be fit for race day. There is still time; take care and rest till you know the score. All the best. Shona image

• Options

Hi all - once again it's a tremendous amount of support from you all - I really appreciate it.

As you know I've got a scan in the morning and I'm hoping they can give me some results then - nothing of a serious nature though  I hope.

I'm continuing with the enforced rest and went to see the physio today. She did some tests on my legs for re-hab purposes and different parts of my leg are between 10 - 20% stronger on the right one compared to the left. She gave me various stretching techniques to try and will be working on core stability from next week on.

Thanks for the various recommendations from everyone - but I think it's probably best now if I wait till after my scan before trying any additional treatments. 

• Options
    BBB - we are all still hoping tomorrow brings good news. Hang in there partner!
  • Options
    Good luck BBB with the scan this am !!
  • Options
    Good luck with the scan BBB. Fingers crossed it's good news
  • Options

Hi BBB

Sorry to hear your still struggling I really hope things come good for you and you get your day out in london

rotterdam went, not sub 3 for me but pb 3:05. lost about 2 mins in the first 5k with a slow startdue to traffic, got into my stride then but resisted the urge to make up the 2mins too quickly, half at 1.31 and thought i could still do it but past 30k and it was getting tougher, getting pretty warm too, 11am start,my last 6k just got slower and slower and struggled over the line. pb can't be too bad and no injuries wories, knees held up ok so rest, take it easy for a few weeks and contemplate giving it another shot in the autumn

• Options

Hi Everyone

Firstly I will delete this post if anyone feels it to be inappropriate.

I have decided to try and raise a small amount of money in aid of Help for Heroes charity http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/index.html in competing for the Army in the London Marathon.

If you could spare a few pounds for this worthy cause you can do it here securely online, http://www.justgiving.com/tonysmith6

BBB - Along with everyone else I have everything crossed for you with your scan today.

sammyChung - Great time and a PB for Rotterdam, shame about the slow start, but you did the right thing not trying to make the time up to quickly. You must feel that there is a sub 3 there. If you are looking for an Autumn Marathon I can fully recommend Abingdon This was my first marathon last year and I managed 2:58.

• Options

Hi All

I had my scan today and it's not good news image, basically without going into medical terms I've got a fractured hip, where the ball joint on top of leg meets the hip socket and also lots of bruising around the area.

The consultant physio from the hospital rang and explained this to me about 2 hours after i'd had the scan. It's now out of her remitt and she told meI can expect a phone call from the orthopedic doctor? early next week image.

In the meanwhile she's advised complete rest and no lifting etc. I've got to face fact's it's not looking good for Londonimage.

I'm feeling pretty fed-up at the moment, so will catch up with you all more tomorrow, but am trying to look on the bright side - at least I know know what the problem is, although I've no idea what the treatment will be.

SChung - quickly - well done - you got a pb - I'm sure it's only a matter of time for sub 3   

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Oh dear - really sorry to hear your news. I've been lurking here from Dan's thread, and like others was thinking it didn't sound quite like a normal back problem.

It sounds like she's saying there's a stress fracture, which is what it sounds like - the bone becomes fatigued (like metal fatigue) when repetitively overloaded, and when the natural bone healing process fails to keep up with the fatigue damage it becomes a painful stress fracture. They can be stable (on the lower side of the femoral neck, which is under a compression stress) or unstable (on the upper side under tension). It's probably going to be a stable one, which is good news as they're unlikely to suggest an operation, but it will certainly mean rest, maybe with crutches for a bit.

Really bad luck - feeling for you.

• Options
    BBB, that's awful news mate. don't really now what to say. try not to let it get you down too much, there will be other marathons. Your health must come first. Rest up and take things easy until its all sorted. You will come back stronger.
  • Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭

BBB - sorry to hear the news. I can only echo FL's post above.

Take care matey.

• Options
    Nigel - rubbish news.  Look after yourself.  I'm gutted for you.  Hope you heal fast and strong.
  • Options
    birderbirder ✭✭✭
    BBB sorry to hear your bad news. On the plus side at least you now know what the problem is and can receive the appropriate treatment. I wish you a speedy recovery. Try and enjoy the rest.
  • Options

BBB

A real shame after all the hard work you've done and guess it wasn't meant to be this year but you know you can run a sub-3 and you hopefully have learnt some things this winter that will enable you to finally fulfill your potential re speed and control and rest that you can use another time and the offer's there for help in the future once the back is back to full health.

Rest is going to be the way forward for now and while it won't feel like a blessing, it might be in that it gives you more time as you didn't start the training in full health and at least you know now it was a serious problem that really you couldn't have done much to avoid or run through.

• Options
    BBB - Im gutted for you buddy.
  • Options

BBB - sorry to hear the bad news.  At least you know what it is and can stop the experimenting with different treatments and get it sorted.  I know from our conversations you have learnt so much this year that you'll be fitter and stronger once you get through this. 

Don't forget, you promised to take me back on that Goytre to Afan Argoed run when it wasn't covered in 10" of snow and I'm holding you to it - so listen to the medics and we'll be up in the forestry before too long.

• Options
    BBB You will be back look at me ,rest up & let the doc's do wot they can & in 2 or 3 mouths you will be looking to kick butt again mateimage
  • Options
    HI Nigel - like others have said I'm truly gutted for you - I know how I would feel so these words are scant consolation. All the best for your recovery and I look forward to you getting back to full health and bashing that sub-3 in the near future.
  • Options

Thanks everyone I'm overwhelmed by all you support and best wishes, I won't deny that I'm gutted but I truly wish all of you have fantastic marathons after all the hard work youv'e been putting in. I hope you continue to post and share your results and experiences, I'll be following you all closely over the next few weeks and for those doing London - I'll be there to cheer you on (even though I'll be gutted not to be running alongside you).

Steve - as always I appreciate your support and advice - I've really learnt so much about running (in general, not just for marathons) from you in the last few months. I'm hoping to see you in London and when I'm healed and back running I'm sure I'll be picking your brains over things.

In the last few months on this thread, I feel like I've made some great running friends and have learnt loads from sharing our experiences. I'll keep posting and let you all know how I'm getting on and what treatment the doctors advise. 

• Options
    BBB
    Gutted for you. It's obvious how much work you put in and how much you wanted to achieve your goal.
    As others have said, there's always other marathon's and your health is more important.
    Despite the setback, your positive attitude has been a great example to us all. I for one have certainly taken alot from it.

Sammy Chung-Great effort in running a PB. sub 3 not far away I'm sure
  • Options

BBB

really sorry to hear your news, its terrible after all the preparation and anticipation. on a positive note as others have said its great that you now know whats wrong, its removes all that guessing is it this? is it that? am i doing this right ? and with the right treatment you'll soon be sorted and be back exercising before you know it.

stay positive and try and enjoy the enforced rest, time for your body to recovery and repair and you'll be back a rejuvenated man

• Options

What has everyone else got planned for their penultimate long run?

I have been following the Runners World Sub 3 Program and according to it I should be doing 18 miles tomorrow. I have spoken to a few of my Club mates and they think its probably to much and that I should drop it down to 15 - 16 miles max. 

I am also starting to think about nutrition for race day. I am looking at the following:

Lucozade Sport at 5, 10, 15, 19, 23.  

Gels at 7,12,17,21 washed down with a few gulps of water. 

• Options

Hi Tony,

I'll be doing the Teifi 10mile Welsh chapionship road race tomorrow and then adding 5 mile to take it to 15. I also think over 15 miles will be too much. Depending on how I feel after the race, I may do less.

What gels do you use? I prefer the SIS as I find they dont need water to wash them down. I also started taking them earlier in the race in the Rhayader 20, at about 5 mile. usually didn't take them until 10+ miles.

• Options

FL - Good luck with Teifi 10 and let us know how you get on.

I also use SIS as the Lucozade Gels didn't agree with me. I was thinking of taking the gels every 5 miles starting at 5, but wasn't to sure how it would mix with taking on the Lucozade Sport at the same time. Also thought if I have the Lucozade Sport every 5 then have the Gels a few miles later it gives me something else to look forward to....if you know what I mean, take my mind off the distance and break the distance down to fuel breaks.

How many of us are doing London and what targets have we set ourselves?

I am looking for a Sub 3, but would like to get a bit closer to 2:55. My PB (my only other marathon was 2:58 at Abingdon) So I am going out with 6:40 min miles as a target and see how I get on. 

• Options

I'm going for sub3, 2:59:59 will do me fine.Any thing under will be a bonusimage. Did 3:04 last year and that's my PB. I did Anglesey in 3:06 knocking 7 Min's off the year before and did Snowdon in 3:12 knocking 2 Min's off the year before, But we did have very bad weather at Snowdon, gusts of up to 110MPH rain hail and snow all the way!!!!

And I have been off the beer since New years day(except for 1 night. 10 pints!!!) Weight on new years day, 13st 5lb And today 11st 7lb. Hoping this will make a difference. I was 12st 7lb at London last year.

Just hope the weather is with us on the dayimage.

• Options
    Tony, what start are you out of? I'm in the good for age.
  • Options

FL - That's some dedication being off the beer for so long... I have sort of given up to....it gets in the way of training and takes me ages to get over the hangover.... a sign of getting old I guess.

I'm sure the weight loss will make you quicker, just looked again at your post....wow you have lost almost 2st, that's even more impressive.

Some very good PB's and improvements from your previous marathons.

I have managed to get a Championship Blue start with the Army (No 730). I lot of the big guns from the Army Team cant make it this year and I was in the top 5 out of the Army at the Army Marathon Championships at Abingdon, so was given a place.

Fingers crossed on the weather to....probably the only variable we have no control over....

• Options

Hello All

BBB You have been an inspiration to many of us. Whilst I'm gutted for you, I have know doubt that the sub 3Hrs is merely posponed to your next mara. Are you spectating this year?

Tony  My other half is also running for 'Help For Hero's', so rest assured, I've sponsored her. In the RAF myself and ran for the same charity last year. Good luck with raising some cash. Which barracks are you at? I'm at RAF Benson (Oxfordshire), let me know if you're close and fancy doing some LSR's later in the year.

Sounds like you are in shape to cruise under your p.b. just need the pacing to go well.

FL I reckon a sub 3 is looking promising judging by your training. Great effort on the Snowdon. I'm thinking about having a stap this year. What do you reckon a 2hr 50min flat mara converts to on the Snowdon course?

Sadly my leg injury has ruled me out this year. So I'm going to let it recover properly and get fit for the LAMM in June. I look forward to cheering many of you along. Any distinctive tops / #s to watch out for?

• Options

BBB - been away for a few days so only just caught up with the news. How awful for you. But you will put this amazing experience to good use for your next (fully fit) attempt at sub 3 and I for one am sure you will nail it.

Hope to see you anyway on 26th?