Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: BellyBoyBarnes (sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options

Hope the session Tuesday goes as well as the Monday one.

• Options
    OK Mate see you tonightimage
  • Options

Hi bomber

Im afternoons this and every other week so i try 2 fit my sessions in around work,  and perhaps sometimes in work.

Todays run complete 5 x 1 miler with slow 1 mile jog before and after.Felt very stiff again afterwards, stretching and a hot shower, feeling  a lot better know   

• Options

What times did you run, Nigel?

Hopefully all well below 7!

• Options

Great session with the club tonight, yasso's with a slight twist. We did 800 at 6min/mile(3mins) pace then 400 recovery then 400 at 6min/mile pace(1:30mins) then 300 recovery. we do it like this as our training loop is over a mile long(about 1870m) we did 5 laps of this. Plus 6 mile warm up warm down.Managed to keep the pace spot on. Very happy with progress at the moment.

Belly Boy, why arnt you racing on Sunday? don't you think you need to try it and see where you are at the moment? your 10k times will never come down if you don't race them, or am I wrongimage.

• Options

Looks a good session fast legs.

I think BB wants to get fitter before he races after his injury break. But I do agree to get the 10k times down, you do need to do some shorter races rather than just do speedwork. It isn't an easy time though to do 10k races when you are trying to build up marathon as a 10k can compromise the mileage. However, I hope BB can do a 10K before April.

• Options

Hi Steve,

My coach has put the race on Sunday into my training schedule, plus other races leading up to the big day. The race is a 5 mile very flat course, just thought it would be a good bench mark to see where he is at the moment, and a very good test of will power to see if he can run it at a steady pace, not flat out.

• Options
    I agree it would be a good benchmark and good speed and having done the 14 last week, I don't think it would be too much of a problem BBB doing a 5 mile race this week if he is up for it!
  • Options

Hi Guys

I will not be racing this weekend because i have only just come back from an injury, this is only my 3rd week back in full training,my 10 k times have gone backward due to injury and chrismas,so its a matter of a bit more hard work. my 10 k times will come down in time, my speed is getting faster i know where am at this moment, with my training and when i feel that i ready to run a 10k or any other race i will do so. i also feel that  speed work could have been the problem with to my injury in the first place.I would like to run these 5 mile races, but im not going to be running these races just to see how far back i have gone.I will be racing before the marathon

many thanks for your comments

nigel  c u all soon       

• Options

Hi guys

8 miles done today very steady more of a recovery run very cold and icey.

steve

times for 1 x milers 6.20 odd finished with 6.48 which i know u will not be happy about but i will be working on getting the slowest at the start and  fastest mile at the end.holding back i need to sort out

this time last year i was on 5 x 1 mile 6.10 slowest    

• Options

I agree you probably aren't ready to do a race yet, unless you are mentally up for treating them as training, and prepared to be behind people you would normally be ahead of and having done the session yesterday, you do have a fair idea of what you would achieve at the moment anyway.

The session generally was ok if the majority were 6:20s, though agree it would be better to start with a 6:40 (and remember you only need 6:50s for a sub-3), and on this sort of session then go 6:30, 6:20, 6:10, 6:00!. However if you can finish with a 6:48 at London for the last mile, I'm sure both of us will be happy!

• Options

Thanks Steve,

Things are starting to come together. i  do feel my speed is starting to come back slightly,a few more longer runs and a few more sprints im sure my times will come down.tempo run tomorrow this will also bring me on.i also believe that these lukozade products are helping, which is something  that i rarely used before which is also a possitive 

many thanks

nigel 

• Options

BBB

Which of the Lukozade products are you using?

Keep up the good training.

• Options

Hi Tony

I've been using the hydro active hypotonic drink mix and i've also just starting taking the lukozade recovery,im also hoping to have more info on these products this weekend and i will leave u know

8 miles run today steady  pace,little warm up to start and finish, felt a little weak towards the end.  hopefully the longer distances will sort that problem out    

Hi steve

Do u know if the session with liz on saturday is going to a speed session, so that i could sort out tomorrows run in advance,and also will your self be there  

many thanks and off 2 work i go

• Options

Hi Nigal,

Just to introduce myself, I am a member of the Lucozade Sport Science Team, and am here to offer you advice and support throughout the rest of your London Marathon experience! I will also be at StMarys on Saturday so will be able to personally introduce myself to you then!

From reading through your blog it looks like your training is going well, keep up the good work.

From your comment above, the Hydro Active is a superb drink to consume on your shorter runs (less than a hour) as the main goal during these runs is to maintain your hydration status. However during longer runs (greater than a hour) there is a greater demand on your carbohydrate stores. So in these longer runs it would be more benefical to drink Lucozade Sport Body Fuel, as it has a higher concentration of carbohydrate in. Also maybe think about incorperating Carbo Gels into your run as they are a great way to get a large amount of carbohydrate into your body during a run.

The recovery product is a great product to take post exercise, as it contains both carbohydrate and protein. When you run, your muscles are put under a lot of strain and minor tears occur in the muscle fibres. As well as this your carbohydrate stored become depleted. After exercise there is a 60 minute window when your metabolic rate is elevated, and during this period if you can consume a recovery product (protein to aid muscle repair, and carbohydrate to aid muscle glycogen repletion) recovery can be enhanced. 

If you have got any questions, just ask!

See you on Saturday

• Options

Nigel

Yes will be there saturday. I understand Liz is in charge. It's not going to be hard, some medium length efforts with some of them at marathon pace

• Options

BBB - I must commend you on resisting the baiting from Fast Legs, Glad you've taken on board the advice, hope you are listening to that body!  Sounds like it is going to plan.  I think you are right avoiding the races just yet, your body has had  a lot  to cope with in these last 3 weeks or less, your furthest run less than 3 weeks ago was 2miles, then you tried 5, then on Sunday you managed 15, this is one hell of an increase, far more then would be generally recommended in such a short time, so bear this in mind and take the speed steady, as Steve said in an earlier post, get the base in there first.  Plenty of time to slip in some races yet, the speed work you are doing is giving you enough idea where you are without the temptation to race the guys around you that seem to be quite competative, which is normally fine but lets make sure your injury is recovered sufficiently before pushing it too far and regretting it, this is too good an opportunity to mess up.  Keep going the way you are and it is yours for the taking. 

Fast legs - give the man a chance, he'll be back to form soon and then you will have to look out, but for now let him get fully fit before tempting him with races, when he's ready he'll be there, in the meantime show an interest and report your progress but let him make the most of this.

Steve - can you advise Nigel on his Sunday session depending on what is done on Saturday, depending on how intense the session is and how he feels I mentioned it may be an idea to reduce sundays long run, or swap it to another day to allow him some recovery.

Matt - Nigel hasn't used any products before, I've not used your gels, are they like some other makes that require quite a bit of water at the same time due to thier high concentration, perhaps on Saturday you could run through your range with him so he knows when to use what and how to use it and how much is needed, cheers.

Everyone else, keep up the good work.  Anyone doing Llanelli half marathon?

• Options

Nigel

the session is 6 x 3mins at 3 different paces, the middle 2 3mins being at marathon pace and I think the first 2 will be slower and the last 2 faster.

As long as you run sensibly and get the paces right, I don't think you need to cut Sunday's run.

The schedule, which wouldn't meet everyone's approval, calls for a race or hilly 8M on Saturday and a 16 on Sunday (at approx 8 min miles). 

The session, done properly, will be a lot easier than what is on the schedule.

If after doing Saturday, you feel it hasn't taken too much out of you, then a slow 16M Sunday should be fine. if you don't feel right then a 10-12 would be ok. 

• Options
    Hi BBB, Steve

Some sound advice from everyone. Hope you enjoy Liz's session!

Steve, I'm running LSR's at MP + 10 - 20% (7:20 - 7:40/mi) too fast? Should I too be slowing up a touch?

Northern XC for me on Sat then 2hrs 15mins on Sun hope to get 18miles in. Eating too much at present!
  • Options

Jason

For some people it would be too fast. It's a lot quicker than I have run in recent years and I run 2:43 last year, but from your half marathon training, and the speed you ran at then, then I think that pace will be fine for you, but you may have to slow it down when you get over 18 miles or the day after a hard cross-country!

• Options

Yeah that is defiantly the strategy that we would suggest. From going to not drinking/taking on carbohydrate during a run, to following the optimum strategy is a progressive goal. You would not be able to go straight out and run a marathon, you train to be able to achieve this. It is the same with nutrition. Slowly incorporate the strategy that you are going to use during the race into your training.

Your body is able absorb about 60 grams of carbohydrate per hour, so your goal during to race is to try and reach this amount of carbohydrate. During the course you can get Lucozade Sport body fuel at miles 5, 10, 15, 19 and 23, and in each of those drinks there is 21 grams of carbohydrate. So for following an optimum strategy you will not be able to take on board enough carbohydrate just through the drinks. That is where the gels come in to play. However as stated above, slowly add these changes into your training. Do no just jump into the deep end. 

I am presenting tomorrow to you guys so will go in to a bit more depth in to the science behind carbohydrate supplementation, and we can have a chat after about your optimum strategy.

• Options

MIKE,

I dont think I'm baiting Nigel as you put it! And dont think I'm pushing himimage I think thats a job for his coachimage. I have run with Belly Boy for a few years, and always have a bit of banter going on with our running, which neither of us take to heart( thats a job for Charles, private joke for BBBimage). Last year I run London with him and we (Belly boy, North sea tiger and myself)Took the team place for the bronze  medal in the Welsh marathon championships. So I for one really want him to do well with this training to try for a better place this yearimage. I have been told that the injury he has is almost better and thought that getting out with the club and freinds would do him the world of good.

I will be doing Lanelli half marathon, and again hope that Nigel will help me to a place in the team prize as we did last yearimage. As you can see Mike, myself and the belly boy work well together, and the banter helps. And when he gets injuered i'm one of the first to try and get the stuborn old git to restimage.

Right, rant overimage.Now i'm late for workimage

• Options

Hi Fast Legs,  sorry if it sounded like I was having a go, I know you guys know each other well but I see from the other side and I could see Nigel being drawn into it a bit and at the mo he needs to be careful as he is nearly there but pushing too hard and upsetting things could knock him back again and hinder his recovery.  Believe me I want him to run as fast as he can and hopefully you will get a gold this year but just at this stage he has to be careful.  Nothing wrong with banter, but till he is ready to push a bit harder he is getting conflicting messages, be patient and he should be pushing it with you soon.  He knows himself well and knows that if he comes out with you he will want to push too hard at the mo, so is being sensible and not putting himself in the position, he is starting to push himself harder and I'm sure he'll be ready to run with you very soon, the social is important as are friends but if he can't stop himself from going for it he's better waiting till he is able to go for it with confidence.  As for him resting - you must have had a hard job with him!  But this time, he is finally doing it right, better late than never aye nigel!

Anyway, perhaps I'll see you at Llanelli half, if you hang around at the finish line long enough!!!   I'll be the one with a can of Guinness (best recovery drink on the market! - hope matt doesn't read this!)

Hope your training is going well, I'm trying to shed the extra stone and half that crept on last year through being lazy and eating the same amounts!  I am feeling the extra weight when running on my knees, shins and breathing, so taking it steady, started back to the cycling and swimming too which should help, big race for this year (as I didn't get into London) is the Alpe d'Huez half ironman triathlon.  Long way to go yet!  You do a bit of biking don't you?  Fancy the Dragon ride on 14th June?  Nice local ride, bit hilly and quite long!  Be good after Marathon to do something different  or are you doing more marathons later in the year.

• Options

Steve - thanks for clarifying, I know nigel wants to do the long one, but he wasn't sure how intense the speed work would be, so sounds like he'll be OK to do the 16 as planned. 

Matt - don't think Nigel has tried Gels ever!  I love them, but know some people get stomach problems with them, probably as you say from not "training" to use them.  Nigel has had positive reactions to the other products so with your guidance I'm sure he'll be fine with these.  What is your take on the products with small amout of protein in with the carbs for endurance events?  From running or triathlon (half ironman distance)?

Thanks

Mike

• Options

MIKE hope you got plenty of Guinness mate because i will be there as wellimage

Wot time do you expect image

• Options

mike i will be there two hope we can all have a good race.

i work with bbb and run for the some club  as him.i am the one who was aways saying to him to rest upor he will get an injury and i told him to bring the miles down and do more work on is speed and this was last year but bbb is bbb .hope you and is coach`s get him the sub 3 he is looking for.

by the way i am helping fast legs on is speedwork and doing some long runs 2.you can say i am is coach but i say i am a good mate. i know he can do this sub 3 if not i am going to do a marathon with him .( i don`t like the long ones)

• Options

Wow - wot can i say, whoever said running was boring obviously hasn't read this thread!

Seriously tho guy's I really appreciate all your support and comments - it has been a tough few months for me trying to recover, but I really feel like i'm making progress now and  for once starting to listen to good advice and my body.  

I can see where your all coming from and I will be racing before the marathon and hopefully by taking on board all the experts advice we can get an even better London result than last  year - both personally and as a team.

Rest day today - looking forward to tomorrows training day with Liz Yelling, I'll keep you posted on what I learn from it.

All being well easy longish  run on Sunday.

• Options

BBB,

First time on your blog - lots of good advice bouncing about here!  I'll have to tune in more often! 

Looks like the club are going to be really well represented this year at the LFM ....... unfortunately, I won't be anywhere near 3 hours let alone underneath it.  Guys are pushing me to aim for 3:30 - tough target but as they say ... aim high!

Good luck with the training - see you back to full strength soon!

• Options

BBB see they can learn an old dog new tricks image

RB you will go under 3 15 mate in shorts & vestimagejust set a time & run even pace & if you dont do the time at least you wont be left with wot ifimage

• Options

Belly Boy, hope all goes well today image.

Mike, I've done the Dragon ride a few times, its a good route. My favourite is the Autumn epic in knighton. I haven't been on the bikes for a while now though, running has taken overimage, I keep saying I must get back on them to cross train but its finding the time. I blame workimage it always gets in the way of funimage.