Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Sue C (3:15)

Comments

• Options

Sue - Trying to keep up with this thread and the sub 3:15 one but really struggling during the holidays. I think a lot of us have been suffering with cold/ virus type things I'm sure we'll all be fighting fit on marathon day. I'm taking an extra rest day this week to make sure I'm fully recovered.

• Options
    Less is more Sue! (That goes for ironing too in my house image)
  • Options
    CC2 - We've been looking into contigencies if East Midlands trains go on strike and if the worst comes to the worst we will be driving down early on Saturday. As we will be passing Nottingham, you are more than welcome to have a lift if you are struggling to get to London.
  • Options
    My back up plan is to drive down on friday. I have a hotel booked and a pasta party ticket paid for. Thank you for the offer though CG. Lets keep our fingers and toes crossed that there's no strike!
  • Options
    Actually, I've just checked the National Express website and I could get a bus for £10. I'm tempted to book one just in case. Would be cheaper than petrol, parking and congestion charges....
  • Options

Rest that cold Sue, i think i have finally got over mine, i don't get many colds but this one knocked me back for a good week and i'm sure it wasn't just man flu!

Saturday morning drive down for me, pick up my number and off to see a show at night. does anyone know if lucozade gels are supplies on the route or should i stock up at the expo on saturday?

5 mile club championship race for me tonight, i ran it pretty hard but felt i saved a bit, how good are these performance predictors because based on tonights run i'm predicted 3.15, which i can't see happening?

• Options
    Bradnor, there's no gels en route so make sure you get some beforehand.
  • Options
    thanks speedy, i'm guessing they will be selling them at expo, i can't find the lucozade ones in any of the shops around here.
  • Options

Have you tried Tesco Bradnor. Mine has them.

• Options
     My local did have them a few months ago but when i went to restock recently they said they only had the powder formula stuff. Do you use the lucozade ones?
  • Options
    bradnor, try Asda for the lucozade gels, i know mine has them.
  • Options

Bradnor - I used to get mine from Boot's if that helps.

I am glad I didn't run yesterday, I took peoples advice and took another rest day. As it was I was shattered by 8pm anyway. Feel loads better today.

Today I am working but I thought I might do my MP session rather than the reps, it seems easier. I am down to do 3 miles at MP. I suspect without running for 2 days my legs might need a slightly longer warmup but I will see how I go.

• Options

Bradnor - I am also on the hunt for gels - JJB had some - but sold out.  Will try boots.

Sue - I did 3miles brisk yesterday - was hoping for half mara pace - but ended up being in the middle between half and MP - 7:12, 7:24, 7:22 - not very pleased with them - the first one felt easy, but the last one was really hard work.  6 slow today - will do the first 2 with my 11 year old at about 10 minute pace, so looking forward to it.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I bought my SIS gels last night: 4 plain and 1 caffeinated.  Will probably only use 3 + 1 in the race but I like to have a spare just in case I feel tired and want the psychological boost of extra carbs.
  • Options
    Lizzie - how's the calf doing? Managed a run yet? Hope you're on the mend. You will try anything at this stage, I just spent up yesterday and ordered 3 new types of patella strap to try out. Maybe one of them will get me round?

Thanks folks for your encouragement, I can feel the positive vibes working wonders on my knee! Fingers crossed the consultant gives me the green light tomorrow.

Andy
  • Options

Hi Sue,

Hope you had a great easter with your family! I had a busy one with visitors, but all good fun, now back to work!

When you are not right, you should not run esp. at this stage, s few days off now will only do you good, certainly you will gain nothing by running when you are not 100%. So if you are still not sure, today the lets e mail and move the week around.

I had a similar thing, 2 days of feeling wiped and then a sore ish throat and then it just went after a few days, so hopefully it will not turn into anything more. Keep me posted with how you are feeling and get you hydration and food back on track as slacking on this now, can have an impact on your immunity and this is an all important time.

When the training eases off people tend to ease off everything else, but now is the time to pay more attention to hydration and nutrition, planning ahead for race days its self.

You should all by now have a plan for the day before and race days its self, with regards to your accommodation, transport, food you need to take with you, when you will go to the expo, (limit your time here and put your feet up!) Where you will eat the evening before? what you will pack in your bag, what you will be wearing etc.

TTT: Having a week off now, is the best time to have it. So don't worry, you will not have lost your fitness in 7 days. Just get some light running in when you are feeling ok again. BUT don't test yourself! It is all done and in the back, take your drawings on the 26th!

Gobi: Glad to hear you are back on track and building slowly for you!

All of you- rest and enjoy the calm before the storm, you have done the hard work now, and your legs should start to feel alive again soon, just ready for race day!

Liz
  • Options

Goal setting for race day:

One thing I do is have 3 goals for my races. A dream goal, a goal I am very happy with, and a goal I would be satisfied with.

So have a think about what these 3 goals would look like for you on race day, so you can measure yourself against your own goals.

You can keep them to yourself or for added commitment you could share them on the forum!

Happy goal setting!

Liz
  • Options

Hi Sue, glad you are feeling a bit better. I too had an enforced rest period over the Easter break. Like others have said - I think it's actually done me some good and the sniffles/sore throat have now miraculously disappeared just in time for Lochaber this Sunday. I did my final "short" leg-freshener session this morning and everything felt as it should so hopefully I'll be reporting back early next week with exciting news!!

I'll go first then with the goals as I am a believer in getting them out there and imprinted on my mind!!! 

2:50 dream goal

2:55 very happy with

2:59 satisfied (especially as it would be a massive 22 minute PB!!!) 

Weather looking good at the minute so all systems go!!

• Options

Hi Sue,

Sorry you have been struggling with a cold. Plenty of time to get fighting fit again before the day. And if you look at your training as a whole, you have had an almost perfect run through the 16 weeks so whatever happens you will be in tip top shape.

Had a shocker of a 16miler on Sunday - failed Liz's suggestion of an hour at a bit slower than MP. Practically ran/walked the last few miles. No idea whether it is all mental/taper madness or that I have lost some fitness over the past few weeks. In any case, I just have to accept there is nothing I can do about it now and enjoy the day whatever it throws at me.

Following SaintJason's lead - I have a predicted time of 3:15 over on the other thread but here goes with goals:

3:10 dream but now looking out of reach this time

3:15 very happy

3:20 satisfied and will accept that it is all a learning experience for next time.

Btw SaintJason, I should come out of the closet as another long suffering Soton fan. What hope of staying up?

• Options
    we'll stay up only for the League to hit us with the 10 pts for going into admin - a long legal battle in the courts will decide what league we start in next season - did I mention I'm a pessimist??? You have to be following Saints
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Goal setting ...... I'll have to give that more thought. 

Liz, 

Will you be giving talks or seminars at the Expo?  

• Options
    For me my goals timewise are 3:05, 3:08, 3:11. But my main goal is to enjoy it, feel strong in the last 10k  and run a negative split. If I have to run 3:20 to do that then so be it, I'm just glad to have made it this far.

Look after yourselves everyone. Good luck Jason at the weekend.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Goals - this is where I get nervous and doubt starts to niggle at me.  My last marathon was a disaster of the biggest kind.  Briefly, my daughter was ill.   Day before we set off for marathon she was in hospital with suspected appendicitis however, the doctors put it down to trapped wind and said she'd be fine within 24 hrs.  We therefore took the decision to bring her to London with us.  Wont go into all the details, but the 3 nights before the marathon I had virtually no sleep and also I was very worried about her.  The marathon itself was a blur and I felt like crap.  She had her appendics out a couple of days after the marathon and I collapsed in the hospital and ended up in A&E!!!

I know thats not going to happen again and I'm really pleased with my training but that feeling of it all falling apart is awful and unfortuately it keeps creeping into the fore front of my mind. 

So, on a more POSITIVE note: 

Dream goal: 3.24

Happy goal: 3.29

Satisfied Goal: 3.37 

• Options
    I'll just drop in for my goals, lurking does nothing for commitment!

Dream: 3:15
    Happy: 3:20
    Satisfied: 3:29

Although to be honest, it's my first marathon and first race over 5 miles so I'll be happy to get round and be in one piece!

Good luck everyone! *gets back to lurking*
  • Options

Minnie - How awful but a reminder that we are not invincible and its not always a case of mind over matter. Sounds like you did amazingly well to run at all. Lucky nothing serious happenend to you daughter. You owe it to yourself to enjoy next Sunday. Take it easy to 20 and you'll be fine.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    'take it easy to 20' -  I love it!!!   Marathon talk at it best.
  • Options
    LOL Minnie - this is not normal is it.
  • Options

CC - A friend is running Saunders with her boyfriend. I'm not sure if i'll ever see them again as navigation is not their strong point.

I shall be doing more fell racing after FLM including my club's race series plus an off road half and marathon- all for fun.

Dream:3:14:59  

Happy: 3:24

Satisfied: 3:29                                                                                                                                                           

• Options

looks like minni and cragchick have similar goals to me,

dream time 3.20, happy 3.29 satisfied 3.36  (pb)

Minni, i had a rubbish build up to my one and only marathon 9 years ago although not as close to race day as you! My then 7 yr old daughter broke her femur so i was back and forth to hospital while trying to fit in training. My daughter is determined to make it down to see me run this time instead of watching it lying on a hospital bed in traction!