Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Sue C (3:15)

Comments

• Options

Also - one of the many things this training schedule has taught me is how beneficial it is to do a good amount of training at race pace,  haven't done this before. Does the same apply to training for a Half Marathon? I am principally thinking about the Newark Half in August? I am kind of thinking the same structure to my  training (albeit with less volume/distance to the longer runs) but keep 2 faster sessions more specifically geared to the HM distance.

After rest and recovery of course.....image

• Options
    Actually -  must be feeling a tad better, I am planning for the future. Yesterday I just wanted to go to bed!
  • Options

Liz:

thanks for your advice, really appreciated. The physio has told me that my pelvis is not in the correct position which has resulted in my lower back being straight instead of "s" shaped. This is preventing the glutes from working and also overworks my hams, quads and hip flexors, result...groin injury. My back problem has been caused by the cardinal sin of gardening before a marathon and also doing my exercises too enthusiastically.

I have now run only once in 2 weeks, just 7 miles steady and I hope to get out later today, Iim revising my goal time and will use the advice Mike G gave me in 2005 when I pb'd....."take it really easy to 10 miles and then see how you're feeling". That should work for most people who are carrying a bit of a niggle and are not too sure of their form.

• Options

Dream   V Happy  Satisfied
    Saintjason        2.50      2.55        2.59
    Jezza_B             2.55      2.59       2.59
    Mitchie Moo      2.55      2.59        3.10
    Big Jase           2.57      2.59        Finish
    Joe Hawk         2.59      3.05        3.10
    Astride              3.05      3.08        3.11

Rodski              3.05       3.10       3.14.59
    Joolska            3.08       3.10       3.14
    GentleTrot        3.10      3.15        3.20
    BOTF                 3.14.59  -            -
    Jason D           3.15      3.20        3.29
    Sue C               3.15      3.20        3.30
    Julie D              3.15      3.24        3.28   
    CG                     3.15      3.24        3.29
    Bradnor            3.20      3.29        3.36
    Cragchick         3.20      3.30        3.35
    CC2                   3.20      3.30        3.38
    Minni                 3.24      3.29        3.37     

All this tapering is giving me too much time to think about the sniffle I woke up with this morning and the achilles that is a bit more sore than it was. Just as well I'm off to work now.

I seem to be around you Joolska in this table as well as the other, looks like we might be bumping into each other somewhere along the route.  

P.S. Sorry about the spacing,I've no idea how to sort it. image                 

• Options

Hi all

Just a quick reminder that Liz Yelling will be online between 1 and 2pm today to answer any questions you might have about race week and race day.

We've opened the debate a little early so do post your questions now so Liz can get stuck in straight away at 1pm!

Thanks

Catherine

• Options

Bad luck Tony The Tiger.

Hope things work out for you.Running can be a very cruel frustrating and unrewarding sport  at times.

Sometimes I think we only remember the bad times in running and don't cherish the good times enough when they do come along *

* spoken from experience.

• Options

Yes Sue, i'm back on track again. I think the week lay off due to my cold has probably cost me the chance of winning the race though!!  I'm looking forward to an easy week and feel nice and fresh on sunday.

What time are you all aiming to get to the start line for?

• Options

Oh no! I've been bumped off the list image Try again.

Lorenzo            3.10       3.12       3.14.xx

Sue - 3.10 would be a dream. Would like to think I've got it in me to do one day, but priority #1 this time is to get sub 3.15 and having blown up spectacularly in the past by going off too early, I'm going to be sensible (or at least as sensible as you can be with thousands of people cheering you on and the adrenalin flowing) to start with and see how how feel when I get to the half way stage at 20 miles.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Taper, stress and target lists, is there a marathon coming up?

Just wanted to wish you all luck next weekend.

Here is my latest update 1 week out

I have been training for 4 weeks now and averaged 64 miles. I have done 2 long runs.(50km and a 20 miler)

I'm running Shakespeare off no taper but that won't surprise anyone who knows me. Just completed my highest mileage week(74 miles) since injury. Still low for me but I did manage 100 miles on the bike as well.

Did a 3hr 45 min brick session yesterday(2hours on the bike and a 1hr 45 min run)

Today I ran a 5km in under 17 mins for the 1st time since my injury.

What does this say ? I have a little speed and I have some endurance.
    Do I have any speed endurance ? Ask me next Sunday night :¬0

Target for race day

???????? but I do know what pace I will run to half way :¬)

In all honesty I will be happy to finish with 2.4X anything over that and I'm in trouble.

Best wishes everyone

Gobi
  • Options

Afternoon.

Hope you are all well and not going too mad with this tapering malarkey!

I did 3 miles this morning. It felt easy but my HR was still high and I am absolutely stuffed full of cold now (sorry that is not an attractive thought for you all to consider!) This has gone on for a week now. Mr C thinks I should go to the Doctors.  I am not going to do this because I think it is viral and nothing more sinister and also because she will just tell me not to run the marathon anyway!

I am hoping I recover soon!

• Options

Have you started trying crazy things yet Sue? Sweat it out? Go out for a run in loads of clothes, eat curry etc?

I hope you're taking echincea, it's supposedly proven to shorten the length of a cold.

I'm sure you'll be fine by Sunday, meanwhile I'm giving you a wide bearth! Illness and injury paranoia reign supreme with me right now. Anyone sneezes and I'm outta there.

Taper madness has also lead me to enter another marathon. Even though I haven't run my first yet. It's going to be rather different to London - a 5 lapper in Newcastle in November with only 100 entrants. I have clearly lost the plot!

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    RFJ                    3:14      N/A          N/A (Doing Halstead on 10 May)  
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Havent read back yet.... been busy, but did win my 1st ever prize at an event today, 3rd Male Vet in a local 5m XC (10th out of 116) no PB, it was hard as nails..... 35:31.

Last long run for me tomorrow 20m before my taper starts for Halstead.....

Take care all

• Options

Julie, Taking gels this late in your training prep, will not really give you a clear indication of how they will affect you in a marathon, and by introducing them now could cause more problems, unless you have used them before and are used to them?
    Have you been practicing with LS sport drinks?? If so and you get on with these then I would stick to just the drinks this time. You body needs time to adapt to a re-fueling strategy. You may however, be one of those people who can just take gels on the run and be fine....but it is a little risky.

Sue: You cold will reach a peak and then ease off, if it is not on your chest then you should be ok. I think you should Rest Monday.....if not today although I think you may have been out already. Rest, drink lots of fluids, and don't panic, your fitness will not have gone anywhere. If it is a cold it will be well gone by next week.

Liz
  • Options

Speedy - Mr C does crazy things like you suggest to get rid of a cold! That made me giggle.

I already take echinacea and had double my dose which I will continue to do until after the marathon. Thanks for the suggestions though folks.

Hope the niggle is ok Cragchick. I am having a massage on Tuesday too, legs are fine but I have a lot of tension in my back so hope to get that sorted.

Well done on your prize RFJ.

When is Shakespeare marathon Gobi? Same day as FLM? Good to see you training well again.

Liz - how well you know me. I was running as you typed this morning! I snored like a trooper last night according to Mr C but seem to have had a regression in snot levels!!!!!! I ran for 1 hours 5 mins this morning, HR fine and did 8.11mm pace, almost normal. Chest ached a bit afterwards but much improved. Boy I was worried yesterday, my head was still so fuzzy which was the thing which was concerning me most to be honest. Am I ok to run on Monday then? I am all enthusiastic again!

Also had a lovely family day out, weather is spectacular here - wall to wall sunshine. We went into the Yorkshire Dales for the day which is only half an hours drive at most. I may well be rather biased but I sure do live in a beautiful county. You can sure appreciate the hills when you are only looking at them and not running up them!

• Options

Sue - glad to hear you're on the mend.  I've had a really irritatingly nothing cold.  All headachey build-up and nothing coming of it (thank goodness).  I'm left with just a bit of a sniffle but struggling to get back to normal eating image  Think I must be swallowing the gunge and its making me feel just a tad nauseous.  Yum.

I'm very envious of your day in the Dales.  Beautiful part of the world image

Its going to be a funny old week, this week, isn't it?  Excited?

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Glad to hear you are on the mend Sue.

20.25m today and last LSR, 3 weeks till Halstead

• Options

Wotsit - Mmmmm... a lovely picture you paint. I notice you managed an Easter egg...... We had a lovely day out, we went to Hesketh Farm this morning which is near Bolton Abbey. As you can imagine it's all going on at this time of year. We watched a lamb being born which impressed my son but not my daughter whose best friend lives on the farm next door to us and so has watched 'loads' of lambs being born already this year (and a couple not make it so she is very matter of fact about such things already and not at all sentimental!) We went fishing with our buckets and nets this afternoon!!

Are you nervous or excited? I am both since you ask and hugely impatient!

I hear it was hot in Lochaber today, one of the girls at our club ran 3.21 - a huge pb I think so well run.

Taper time for you now then RFJ

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sue

indeed it is next Sunday.

35.09 for me over a hilly 10km course. Hard effort but controlled with a little negative split. Starting to feel good :¬)

NICE

Gobi
  • Options

NICE indeed Gobi.

Did Rach do the race?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Yes Sue, she ran 37.08 and finished 1st
  • Options
    Sue - sorry not to have contributed more on here.  Struggling to keep up with 1 thread never mind 2.  In the event I don't manage to post again before the big day just wanted to wish you all the very best for the big day. You have done all the hard work and it's nearly time to reap the rewards.Spotted the list and couldn't resist.  I am planning to set off at 7:10 pace.  If I hold that pace the whole way I would get just under 3:08 but 3:10 is my primary ("happy") target and sub 3:15 would ultimately be very safistfactory.Anyway, good luck Sue and everyone else on here.
  • Options
                           Dream   Happy    SatistiedSaintjason        2.50      2.55        2.59
    Rodski              3.05       3.10       3.14.59Golden Eagle  3:07:xx  3:09:xx   3:14:59
    GentleTrot        3.10      3.15        3.20RFJ                    3:14      N/A          N/A (Doing Halstead on 10 May)  
  • Options

Just tidying up  

Dream   Happy    Satistied
    Golden Eagle  3:07:xx  3:09:xx   3:14:59
    RFJ                    3:14      N/A          N/A (Doing Halstead on 10 May)  

Nice running Gobi & Rach. 

• Options
    sorry - made a mess of that!  Thanks, JH!
  • Options

Well, GE, looks like it's you Joolska and me side by side on the starting grid. GO, GO, GO!

I'm on blue, what about you?

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Blue but Champs start, although I imagine you'll catch up with me pretty quickly, as I intend to be at the back of the Champs pen!
  • Options

Sue - thanks for the offer of gels, a friend who is diabetic had two, so I piched them off him- hope he doesnt need them! 

Liz - thanks for advice on gels - not sure at all on refueling strategy now.  I always drink water and a whole 500ml bottle of LZ sports orange on my long runs.  Tried the gel a coupel of times and quite like the taste now - tastes like undiluted sports drink.  Just sipped at gel over a few miles.  Thinking I may put one gel in my pocket and take it if I feel like I need a boost at about 16 miles.  Was going to take two gels, but after reading your advice think 1 may be better.    I will take an immodium one hour before start of race - have tried this in past and does the trick.    Perhaps next year I could be your 'student'????

Sue - glad to hear that you are feeling better - dont try and catch up with any training now.

I did a MP run on Saturday and it felt good.  Then rest Sunday, so today raring to go out for a good run ...   4 miles easy! Foot easing up now so quietly confident that it will be ok by sunday.

• Options

Sue, if you are feeling ok then do your run, it is a taper week anyway so you should be ok, as you are not doing too much now, and DON"T be tempted to test yourself, it is all there! Just do the training we have agreed!

Julie, if you are used to taking on the LS drinks then I would use these at the drinks stations: 5m, 10m, 15m, 19m, and 23miles. Take your gel with you! And just have a plan for race day so you know what you are doing, and take the gel with some water!

Good luck!

I am in London now for the rest of the week and may not be able to access the web, so Good luck to all, you have worked hard for this, so not just relax and enjoy the journey!

Sue: Text me and lets arrange a chat this week!

Liz