Options

The 1st Eden Project Marathon

Comments

• Options

David:I did Newark 13 in the hot weather then ever in Lincolnshire stroke Nottinghamshire and I did bang on 2H flat with plenty of water just normule run and speed up again and slow.That will be good for Eden.Where will I meet you for a chat and a dinner or macdonaldsimage

Bikermouse:Are You Ready

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Hi Cathy ... basically, what DWB says, except that in the week leading up to the race I prefer to eat lots of pasty image

• Options

St Austell Running Club members took around 60-70 runners around the course yesterday and the response was very favourable.

I took a group of 10 minute milers around the first half of the marathon route and no-one was put off, in fact they were all very suprised at the course.

One lady is doing the marathon as her first and she thought that the nature of the course would help her as it was broken up by undulations and mostly trail sections, with some road.

The weather was kind and the views at the highest point of the marathon were superb, so let's hope for more of the same weather on the day.

I think this marathon is one to just take steady and finish, enjoying the experience. Some will race it, but fast times will be difficult due to the challenging nature of the course.

There's certainly something in it for everyone. Good Luckimage

Paul

• Options

Thanks Paul,

looking forward to this one having just done the Salisbury 54321 - I think this will be fairly similar in terms of road/xc mix and hills, one to enjoy and complete rather than to PB !

• Options

DavidWBush

How did you do at sailsbury 54321? Have you got a t shirt and medal yet?

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

DWB and I seem to do a lot of the same events while managing not to meet each other!

Speedy, the 5-4-3-2-1 was an ace event. Lovely scenery, rolling countryside, glorious weather, challenging without being a killer. I did the 30 km option, and what I learnt was that I would have struggled to cover another 10 km so I've got a little bit of distance work still to do. It was good preparation for the Eden.

• Options

Hi Speedy

The 54321 was a great race. The weather was fab, the course was beautiful especially Longford Castle and the Enchanted Forest, the marshalling and start and finish were very good and you got a medal ! Infact 'ditto' to what Muttley said.

Hi Muttley

You are right, I thing our paths have crossed at the Picnic/Munro and on Sunday ! I now have the Castle Combe 10k on Sunday before the Bristol Half and the London 2 Brighton 56m in September. I have also got 4 marathons booked for October, Clarendon, Eden, Abingdon (if I can get in) and the Greensand ..... are you at any of these events other than Eden? If not, as the time gets nearer we should organise to hook up at Eden ebfore or after the race just to put a name to the text ! Where do you live by the way as we seem to select similar events? I am near Devizes in Wiltshire.

• Options
    What your next race
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Heh, one marathon in a month, in fact a year, is enough for me. Just the Eden on my schedule. Next races are a 10k in London and then the Burnham Beeches half. I'm in Reading.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, GeorgeWBush, Speedy 72 et al. I feel reassured that I can complete the marathon now. Although the hilliness is still perplexing me slightly as I'm not catering for hills accurately or specifically in my training other than running up and down a hill every now and then, as it messes up my running times. I am including some hilly fartleks in my short runs each week. I read with interest the advice that says sit down as much as possible in the lead up to a marathon. Don't stand up when you can sit down. I am 38 and female by the way. Been running for only 9 months but no niggles or aches and pains as yet beyond achey hips after a long run. Not looking forward to getting back to London at nearly half past 11 on Sunday night and having to work on Monday! But looking forward to the pasty. Heh.
  • Options

Cathy Bunt

In the real runners world we live in.Your body need to relaxe that mean have a day of work because you may push yourself over the top.Its not to late?

I learn the hard way since  Heckington 10 in Lincolnshire I ran 13miles then my water Bladder burst and I getting slower 4 minutes on that 1.29.But Thats why  WATER more imortant with your via rucksack then bottle inwhich slow you down?

I Hope this help you

• Options
    Trouble is it's a new job and I'm a teacher so you can't take a day off! Mind you if I can't walk then I will phone in sick. Not ideal in a new job though, huh? It was a bit of a crazy idea to do it. I'm just going to hope for the best... I don't have a rucksack for water. I think I will drink at each station so I don't have to carry anything. That's ok isn't it? Thanks for your advice!
  • Options
    You Should be fine,If you get a Water Belt just in case you miss some waterstops.You will be OK.See You in Octoberimage
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Boing for Cornishhighjinx ...
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Cathy Bunt wrote (see)
    Thanks for the replies, GeorgeWBush ...
    George W Bush? He might not like that ...
  • Options
    well hello, lets ope i see better during the race.  you travelling down from reading?
  • Options
    ..very good Cathy, not heard that one before !
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Yup, down on the Saturday and back on the Monday. Going by train so I have a hunch that after 5 hours or so sitting still on Monday I'll be as stiff as a board by the time we get back to Reading!
  • Options
    I am actually really sorry. I am a deeply amusing soul, but that was in fact a joke. Oops. Apologies plus pink cheeks, David. =)
  • Options
    I mean an accident not a joke done on purpose. Eek!
  • Options

Nice to be back not been on for a while, Have now entered this Marathon and plan on staying for a couple of days with my wife who is also running although i wont see much of here cos she is to quick for me..

Just hope i can do it as i have only just started running after injury. Should be ok as this will be my 5th marathon this year. Just want to enjoy the scenery image 

See you all there.

• Options

Hi, I've been watching this thread for a while and thought I should say hello.

Entered this a month ago, and need to start to get some serious milage in.

This will be second marathon this year out of three, after Stratford and before Beachyhead.

Will be heading down with family, so driving home after won't be a problem.

Cheers Wedge

• Options

Hi notsofast and wedge,

I agree, this is a 'scenery' one !

Beachyhead is supposed to be a goodie but a toughie Wedge, I am doing the Greensand Marathon and many of the runners are also doing BH.

This will be my 6th of the year, and is only a week after Clarendon so I will be taking it easy and treating the whole weekend as a break with my partner .... hope the weather comes good like it tends to late September and early October !

• Options

Hi all,

A bit nervous about this race now as I haven't been able to train for four weeks following a foot injury.  Having now received a clean bill of health and told I can start running again I plan to build up gently this week and then really let my body tell me what I can and can't do.  My last HM was in Jun and I ran the FLM this year.  Has anyone any good advice as I am worried I am not going to be able to get many long runs in with the time left.  The FLM was my first marathon.  Thanks

• Options

Hi Mr P

I did the Paris Marathon and at mile 9 tore the side of my quad on my knee ... I took two weeks off and had plenty of physio which gave me a clean bill of health and then had 2 weeks to prep for the Neolithic Marathon. I made sure that I took it really slowly, and as soon as I had any twinges, I walked. This roughly meant that I did 20-25 mins 9mpm running and the 5-10 mins walking at 4mph. I built the distance up over the two weeks to 13 miles and then rested for 2 days before the Neo. During the race I then did roughly the same and 'listened' to what my leg was telling me, which was to walk the hills, both up and down, and run the flat. It was my fourth marathon and I ended up getting a pb !

You obviously have longer than 2 weeks so you should be able to build up steadily. I presume that you were race fit for the FLM so you shouldn't have too much of a problem, just take it steady and the adrenalin will carry you through.  

• Options

David

have you got your Medal and T Shirt after Clarendon.What your Time?

• Options

Hi Speedy

Clarendon isn't until October 4th. It was the Salisbury 54321 that I have just done and it covers some of the same ground as Clarendon. Don't worry, I took your point on board about the medals/t-shirts at Clarendon and will make sure I get mine !

• Options

David,

Many thanks for your post.  I was race fit for for the FLM - I managed 3:29, which was quicker than I expected especially as it was the first time I had ever run that distance, but as you say I think the adrenalin (and the crowds!) helps a lot.  Clearly I do not expect a repeat performance in Oct, though I was initially hoping on 4hrs.  I am going for my first run tomorrow, I have modified my plan and will just see how I feel.

I am looking forward to the race though, I read through the description of the course last night and it sounds stunning. 

Ritchie

• Options
    This is a kinda general marathon query - not Eden specific, although it is for that I am enquiring. I wondered about the getting to zero fuel issue - does anyone take in anything and what? I was thinking along the lines of jelly beans in my tiny back pocket as I have an issue with sugar crashes sometimes - not in races particularly, just generally. Thought it might keep me going towards the end. What do you experienceders think? Anyone eat those liquid pouch thingies. Can I survive without??? Am going to do some experimenting in my training. And of course I shall still do the carb load thing the day before plus sensible breakfast on the day. Thanks.